Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

They make good wifi bridges and okay APs, but that's about it. I wouldn't touch any of their other poo poo with a ten foot pole.

My new coworker is a Ubiquiti fan, while I ban it from any network I am responsible for. It makes for good discussion during lunch :v:

Yes, networking engineers are great fun at parties, why do you ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Old coworkers love Ubiquiti because they were/are too cheap to buy Cisco and too dumb to work a command line. Isn’t their support department just a community forum?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah but for home networking I don’t really expect direct support beyond reset and maybe firmware update access.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I've got to make recommendations for a small office that's getting moved in the next few months and I'm debating just telling them to get Ubiquiti stuff. Even with like five machines they're planning to have a small rack so I figure having some rackmount options is good, although I was planning to get them set up with better than a gigabit for the LAN since they use a NAS. Not sure if it'll work for that. The account breaches are the main thing I'm concerned about, the hardware I expect to setup and just have work.

In general I like mikrotik better in some ways but after having to script my own dyndns updater for mikrotik I got kind of tired of it, even if it does work and has continued to for seven years or something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can disable the cloud login and auth sync, no?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Does anyone make a 2.5gb in wall switch with a couple ports? Not an AP, but just a switch. I can hide a little POE switch somewhere nearby, but it would be neater if I could split off from a wall plate instead. I guess I could just have the little POE switch floating inside the wall and stick a multiport plate on the wall but that seems dodgy. Currently I have a in wall AP with some ethernet ports, but the new AP is going to be run up the wall so it transmits higher and I still need to get ethernet to other devices in the room.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I guess so, I've mostly used Unifi WAPs with the controller software at home and cloud keys with the remote login stuff at some remote sites. The cloud functionality is nice there if someone calls me up and says they have "a wifi problem" but I don't want to trust the new office network to be administrated through their cloud portal. I guess I'm a little unsure about doing the whole ecosystem with one product line even if it's got all that integration stuff. It feels like a mikrotik router and switches with unifi APs might be a better solution since it's worked before. I did look at cisco but it kind of feels like overkill for a small install of maybe a dozen pieces of equipment.

Some of the issues I'm dealing with is that they met with Comcast about rolling out to the site and comcast wants to provide everything. They'll do fiber, they'll let them get gigabit with a rack mounted modem/router and the potential to upgrade to 2, 5, or 10 Gb; they'll even offer verizon fiber as a backup to the comcast fiber. They'll run VOIP phones, they'll do security cameras, they'll have their "smart solutions" team offer hard to spot cameras to track people, license plates, add electric car chargers. They'll even do access control. Basically they want to sell you anything that might need internet and provides them with a monthly subscription fee. I kind of hate it and think they should try to keep things as separate as possible so they're not tied to one vendor, but that also means that if something breaks they don't necessarily know what to do to fix it without calling me. Comcast is offering all of this with the selling point being that they have one point of contact and one summary page of the status of all the equipment.

I was thinking that if I had something like the Ubiquiti controller handling the router, switches, and wifi, I'd be partway there to having a single thing to look at to control the majority of the network. I'm just still considering the options and also my recommendations may not necessarily be followed.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I would not trust Comcast beyond the fiber hookup, and even then just barely.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

M_Gargantua posted:

I would not trust Comcast beyond the fiber hookup, and even then just barely.

My first broadband home service was comcast. They hooked it up, the modem didn't sync, they said it would within an hour and left. It took about 3 weeks to actually get service because they had to come back out and put on a signal booster. That's only the first time there were multiple week outages. I don't trust them either, it's just what I'm facing as an opponent in offering managed services, basically.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

I suppose an important question is do you want it to be your problem if anything doesn't work, or do you want them to just have a number they call and someone else fixes it?

I can't speak for Comcast, but spectrum and AT&Ts enterprise/.gov support is a whole different beast from their residential support. (Actually pretty decent from my experience)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Yes if the requirement is "Someone come and fix this" and you have a service contract and you/the group have no interest in doing any of it in house than sure its definitely better than residential service.

If you're small enough the DIY load is not bad.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

M_Gargantua posted:

Yes if the requirement is "Someone come and fix this" and you have a service contract and you/the group have no interest in doing any of it in house than sure its definitely better than residential service.

If you're small enough the DIY load is not bad.

Yeah I'm weighing the different value. Another business had comcast voice previously and support was very good, entirely different from residential who want you to reset your modem 10 times or whatever before they'll look at packet loss from broken taps.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Not to mention fiber is a whole different thing from coaxial. Fiber is, generally speaking, either up or down. Coax it's more based on what mood the wire is in, ambient humidity, if your cat is currently asleep, that sort of thing. Basically business support is what residential support should be, or at least much closer to it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I’ve never had to unscrew fibre and put my thumb on the bare medium for a few seconds to ground it so my internet would work again.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

I’ve never had to unscrew fibre and put my thumb on the bare medium for a few seconds to ground it so my internet would work again.
If someone got you to do that, they deserve a medal for trolling.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If someone got you to do that, they deserve a medal for trolling.
My ISP at the time, and you should see how they run cable :v:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

My ISP at the time, and you should see how they run cable :v:
Sorry, I was talking about grounding a fiber - the mental image had me cackling.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Sorry, I was talking about grounding a fiber - the mental image had me cackling.

I feel like I would cry if I had a customer take the fiber cable out and start messing with it because I'd inevitably need to put in a truck roll to have a guy clean the contacts for 5 minutes after little gamer's fingers got Takis dust or whatever onto the medium and now the light is getting instantly refracted into the walls as soon as it leaves the onu

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
That’s crazy they are also offering cameras and ACL. I’m guessing they just contract out to a verkada or Brivo installer and just roll it into your bill.

My experience with Comcast business phone is just it’s expensive af compared to other VoIP providers. Usually around $35/mo per line before taxes and fees when we can easily get $20-$25 elsewhere.

I go all in on Unifi for my small offices now and the ease of managing multiple sites all in one portal makes my life so much easier. Just recommend a uxg-pro and an onsite controller if you are that worried about it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
They have offered cameras for a long time. My dad got the full setup in his residential install. Which is maddening given what the upload rate is already capped at for normal installs.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Cyks posted:

That’s crazy they are also offering cameras and ACL. I’m guessing they just contract out to a verkada or Brivo installer and just roll it into your bill.

My experience with Comcast business phone is just it’s expensive af compared to other VoIP providers. Usually around $35/mo per line before taxes and fees when we can easily get $20-$25 elsewhere.

I go all in on Unifi for my small offices now and the ease of managing multiple sites all in one portal makes my life so much easier. Just recommend a uxg-pro and an onsite controller if you are that worried about it.

I agree, my suspicion for a lot of their service offerings is that they just have a contractor they work with in the area do the work and then just figure out how to bill you monthly. It's not uncommon for things outside the actual wheelhouse of a company. When a large engineering firm did a bunch of renovation on a client's building they basically just ran the show while subcontractors did the windows, HVAC, security cameras, and video conferencing system. When we needed help with anything the engineering firm was oddly quiet and we had to contact a couple of the vendors directly for support.

The "smart solutions" group sounded a lot like a comcast DARPA where they do secret research stuff but I think that the reality is that it's just the kind of stuff you see mentioned in tech blogs like creepy stand up signs in malls tracking you and what you're looking at and anything that can be monetized. They mentioned the license plate reading as a general thing but they also said it's more directly tied to advertising, not security.

I kind of feel like Comcast would be the last company I'd call for help setting up electric car chargers.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Rexxed posted:

I've got to make recommendations for a small office that's getting moved in the next few months and I'm debating just telling them to get Ubiquiti stuff. Even with like five machines they're planning to have a small rack so I figure having some rackmount options is good, although I was planning to get them set up with better than a gigabit for the LAN since they use a NAS. Not sure if it'll work for that. The account breaches are the main thing I'm concerned about, the hardware I expect to setup and just have work.

In general I like mikrotik better in some ways but after having to script my own dyndns updater for mikrotik I got kind of tired of it, even if it does work and has continued to for seven years or something.

You don't have to use the cloud functionality, I don't use my SSO account with them anymore since their last breach. I really like the UDM Pro for small business stuff and their APs have been great in my experience. They get a lot of poo poo from the Cisco certified crowd but they fill a niche at the SB/homelab level and some of their deployment/management tools are really slick. They need better firmware and security practices.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I just VPN into my UXG-Pro, nothing of mine is tied to the UI cloud.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Chiming in as another happy Unifi users who had never let the cloud touch his equipment.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
wireguard is so good. just have mine set to auto connect when i leave my home SSID on either my macbook or iphone, and things like unifi protect and my local NAS etc all work a+++ would invest in prosumer popular brand Ubiquiti again

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
So it's been something like 10 years since I had to touch any networking stuff and I want to get better wi-fi signal in my bedroom.

So I currently have this setup and am trying to get my head around whether a Mesh setup is going to be best or is it just worth slapping a wi-fi extender on the ethernet port in the bedroom?

I'm using the basic router that is supplied from the ISP, and I'm not against getting a better router, but I'd like the strongest 5ghz signal in the bedroom possible. Approx distance would be 20 m from router to bedroom, through 4 walls, all wood and chipboard construction, no concrete.

^^^ Not sure where the Mesh boxes sit, is it that way pictured, or should they be swapped around?

(Located in Australia)

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Sniep posted:

wireguard is so good. just have mine set to auto connect when i leave my home SSID

Same, the only open incoming port in my firewall is the one i use for wg, then I just access whatever I want as though I were connected locally.

Though I use vyos, not ubi.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

gabensraum posted:

Same, the only open incoming port in my firewall is the one i use for wg, then I just access whatever I want as though I were connected locally.

Though I use vyos, not ubi.

to be fair i dont run wireguard on the udm i have a separate box for it and dns with pihole. but unifi does the nat/wifi/cams real good

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Puddin posted:

So it's been something like 10 years since I had to touch any networking stuff and I want to get better wi-fi signal in my bedroom.

So I currently have this setup and am trying to get my head around whether a Mesh setup is going to be best or is it just worth slapping a wi-fi extender on the ethernet port in the bedroom?

I'm using the basic router that is supplied from the ISP, and I'm not against getting a better router, but I'd like the strongest 5ghz signal in the bedroom possible. Approx distance would be 20 m from router to bedroom, through 4 walls, all wood and chipboard construction, no concrete.

^^^ Not sure where the Mesh boxes sit, is it that way pictured, or should they be swapped around?

(Located in Australia)

Usually a mesh system is a base unit attached to a LAN port on your router and the remote satellites talk back to it either with a wireless or wired backhaul. Some mesh systems have their base unit also be a router. Wifi extenders are usually never the answer as they just repeat everything they hear which takes up more air time and usually halves your bandwidth as a result.

If you're happy with the wifi except for one area, and that area has a LAN connection, I'd just get a regular wireless access point to put there. It can be almost anything but I've been pretty happy with my UniFi units. I think the UniFi 6 lite is a little over a hundred bucks, although I think you have to buy a PoE injector yourself now.

You don't have to get one of those, though, you could get a mesh system and do a similar thing, turn off the wifi on your router and put the base unit on a LAN port and the other satellite where you want the best signal remotely.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

this may be for a different thread but is there a VPN that doesnt slow the poo poo out of your WAN?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Rexxed posted:

Usually a mesh system is a base unit attached to a LAN port on your router and the remote satellites talk back to it either with a wireless or wired backhaul. Some mesh systems have their base unit also be a router. Wifi extenders are usually never the answer as they just repeat everything they hear which takes up more air time and usually halves your bandwidth as a result.

If you're happy with the wifi except for one area, and that area has a LAN connection, I'd just get a regular wireless access point to put there. It can be almost anything but I've been pretty happy with my UniFi units. I think the UniFi 6 lite is a little over a hundred bucks, although I think you have to buy a PoE injector yourself now.

You don't have to get one of those, though, you could get a mesh system and do a similar thing, turn off the wifi on your router and put the base unit on a LAN port and the other satellite where you want the best signal remotely.

Excellent, I'll probably just get an access point then, I have ethernet to the bedroom into an Apple TV, so it would benefit for that too.

If I do go along the lines of a mesh system then, are there any recommendations for units with wired backhaul?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Arson Daily posted:

this may be for a different thread but is there a VPN that doesnt slow the poo poo out of your WAN?

If you have to ask, then the answer is "no, not at your price point"

But I use Proton for an external VPN.

Puddin posted:

Excellent, I'll probably just get an access point then, I have ethernet to the bedroom into an Apple TV, so it would benefit for that too.

If I do go along the lines of a mesh system then, are there any recommendations for units with wired backhaul?

Why do you need a mesh if you already have wired? An access point can just be an access point then.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 14, 2024

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Puddin posted:

(Located in Australia)

Here you go:

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

🤣

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Puddin posted:

(Located in Australia)

Does your router have WiFi? Or is the only device projecting WiFi wtvr the mesh box is? (and you only have one, is it just an AP?) Maybe just move it closer to the bedroom you want a better signal in.

Edit: I am dumb, didn't read the poo poo, going with above poster, turn it upside down. (And maybe just an AP)

Rakeris fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 14, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arson Daily posted:

tailscale

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

M_Gargantua posted:

If you have to ask, then the answer is "no, not at your price point"

But I use Proton for an external VPN.

Why do you need a mesh if you already have wired? An access point can just be an access point then.

I don't know, I was asking the question due to being out of the loop for a while.

Will be going with an AP.

H110Hawk posted:

Here you go:

Well played!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Is there some kind of chicken sacrifice to get pfSense installed on bare metal? It’s bad enough that I had to kill secure boot, but now the installer just craps out at an IRQ mapping error that I’m unable to resolve.

I can run it as a VM in Proxmox but that has its own set of problems (i.e. management interface / second PC required vs a mouse, keyboard, and monitor without a bunch of extra packages and auto-login).

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

What kind of machine are you trying to install this on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Wibla posted:

What kind of machine are you trying to install this on?
MSI Core i3 PC with double ethernet ports.