Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

George posted:

imagine making a whole video game about pinocchio and not doing the whale

Theres no whale in the book, only a terrible dogfish and the submarine in Lies of P is painted to look like it.

The lies of P people didnt just rely on the Disney version, which is why it should be pretty obvious early on that Geppetto is the villain

Edit: Although to fully undermine my own point the sequel hook is clearly based on a film adaptation of it not the original book for seriously enjoy this spoiler ye unsullied Wizard of Oz

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I don't want to play anything with "of P" in the title

Barudak
May 7, 2007

credburn posted:

I don't want to play anything with "of P" in the title

Dont worry the next one will be Wishes of D

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Barudak posted:

Dont worry the next one will be Wishes of D

Dumbo!?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Check my spoiler at the top of the page, cause its not a joke

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

dunno how you can make a game about loving tieflings and dark elves boring but by golly they've done it

Serious question that's not just meant to be the insult it clearly is but...

How do you make the dnd universe not boring af? Like, I've always thought it weird. Why would I ever care about a boiled leather sack? About a slightly wider sword? Even the magic in it is boring as gently caress.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Barudak posted:

Check my spoiler at the top of the page, cause its not a joke

they should hire American McGee

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

!Klams posted:

How do you make the dnd universe not boring af? Like, I've always thought it weird. Why would I ever care about a boiled leather sack? About a slightly wider sword? Even the magic in it is boring as gently caress.

more Cloakers IMO

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

WHAT ARE YOU DOING MODS/ADMINS I SEE IT

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
The Wizz of Oz

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

!Klams posted:

Are you stuck in the back of a station wagon on a roadtrip through the vast american plains, and think we're your mom and/or dad that you're complaining to about being bored? What do you want us to do?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Wizard of P

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

QuarkJets posted:

The Wizard of P

:lolrudy:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
DnD universe is literally whatever you imagine it to be so if you're focusing on boiled leather sacs and wide swords that's on you.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Quote-Unquote posted:

I have no idea what Lies of P is but it's a really bad title and every time I read it my brain starts thinking 'Piss Don't Lie' to the tune of that Shakira song.

It's the first souls-like that's actually any good and it's also insanely good

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Khanstant posted:

DnD universe is literally whatever you imagine it to be so if you're focusing on boiled leather sacs and wide swords that's on you.

Well here's the thing, that's EXACTLY my point. I've only ever consumed it in like, baldur's gate 3 form, where its not actually me role-playing it's just something set in the universe, and they all do this poo poo where it's basically medieval England, but also some people can shoot fireballs, but only once a week or whatever.

See also, lord of the rings, game of thrones, the wheel of time, etc etc.

Why? It could be literally anything.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

!Klams posted:

Well here's the thing, that's EXACTLY my point. I've only ever consumed it in like, baldur's gate 3 form, where its not actually me role-playing it's just something set in the universe, and they all do this poo poo where it's basically medieval England, but also some people can shoot fireballs, but only once a week or whatever.

The others have never sold as well. There were computer RPGs set in DnDs significantly cooler settings like Dark Sun and Spell Jammer not to mention other published table top settings and none of them hold a candle in profit compared to "Fantasae Yurope"

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

!Klams posted:

That’s your answer right there. Tolkien had a super hard-on for ye olde rural England, so that’s what he wrote Lord of the Rings to be.

Then it got popular and defined the genre, so others started to copy it.

And now it’s so entrenched that trying anything different is risky, and you can’t have risk when there’s money at stake.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also, in Tolkien's defense, theres plenty of weird stuff like a jam-session to make the universe, unexplained spiders older than time, and multiple landmasses teeming with life and ready for heroic adventures but we get "ok what if there was another group of characters doing all the same things as the fellowship in lord of the rings, but like 15 minutes later"

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Agreed. If the Silmarilion had (been finished, published, and then) taken off like LotR did, more of the “foundational” fantasy works would have been closer to Brütal Legend.

On-topic: I really enjoyed Brütal Legend and am disappointed that it didn’t sell well enough to justify making more.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

!Klams posted:

Edward_Tohr posted:

That’s your answer right there. Tolkien had a super hard-on for ye olde rural England, so that’s what he wrote Lord of the Rings to be.

Then it got popular and defined the genre, so others started to copy it.

And now it’s so entrenched that trying anything different is risky, and you can’t have risk when there’s money at stake.

IIRC, Swen said in an interview that he'd like Larian to make cRPG's that aren't fantasy at all. And with BG3 being a success, they can afford to do that now.

Edit: Baldur's Gate has always been predominately about blowing poo poo up. So it's not just BG3.

itry fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 11, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

The Wizard of P

Now we know why the bricks are yellow

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Pillars of Eternity 1: A grounded fantasy about the nature of souls and the cycle of life and death. Throughout the story you are only given the merest of hints that the gods even exist, but even then their exact motivations are vauge and open for interpretation.

Pillars of Eternity 2: The gods are real and have invited you into their private Discord channel and will not stop DM'ing you with their petty loving bullshit while you just want to sail around and play pirate.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vakal posted:

Pillars of Eternity 1: A grounded fantasy about the nature of souls and the cycle of life and death. Throughout the story you are only given the merest of hints that the gods even exist, but even then their exact motivations are vauge and open for interpretation.

Pillars of Eternity 2: The gods are real and have invited you into their private Discord channel and will not stop DM'ing you with their petty loving bullshit while you just want to sail around and play pirate.

yeah and its loving great

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
Someday I'll be released from the hell of my 4th BG3 playthrough and I can finish up Pillars 1 and start 2.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vakal posted:

i liked pillars 1 but the premise of pillars 2 was pretty unappealing to me. why should i be forced to work together with the gods when my personal ending for pillars 1 was backstabbing them all and declaring war against them

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

itry posted:

IIRC, Swen said in an interview that he'd like Larian to make cRPG's that aren't fantasy at all. And with BG3 being a success, they can afford to do that now.

Hahaha I hope to see it but I've seen too many big successes end up turning that company into a factory to produce more of it but worse, until it changes hands enough times and gets closed down or everyone laid off by some derranged gamblers.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fur20 posted:

i liked pillars 1 but the premise of pillars 2 was pretty unappealing to me. why should i be forced to work together with the gods when my personal ending for pillars 1 was backstabbing them all and declaring war against them

This is pretty weird to me since you basically ignore the gods until the very final bit. The game was very much about the different people and cultures and the effects and tensions of colonialism. It's one of my favourite cRPG settings because it explores an incredibly relevant historical era in a grounded fantasy set of cultures. The game is sandwiched with some god stuff but all the meat of the game the gods might as well just be the same as in reality, as a human force of nature, the gods don't need to exist for belief in gods to impact the world.

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Baldur's Gate (And Oblivion, Two Worlds, insert generic fantasy realm here) doesn't really look like medieval England or northern Europe at all. They always look like gorgeous sun-kissed Mediterranean/Californian valleys and grasslands, and the colour palette is always exactly the same, and you lose something in not having the miserable rainy muddy gnarled woods and bleak dark ponds and so forth that Tolkien was writing about.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Khanstant posted:

This is pretty weird to me since you basically ignore the gods until the very final bit. The game was very much about the different people and cultures and the effects and tensions of colonialism. It's one of my favourite cRPG settings because it explores an incredibly relevant historical era in a grounded fantasy set of cultures. The game is sandwiched with some god stuff but all the meat of the game the gods might as well just be the same as in reality, as a human force of nature, the gods don't need to exist for belief in gods to impact the world.

I dunno, it started with me bargaining with the god of the dead, and then in the middle of the first act I was whisked away to the Private God Discord where the game requires you to ask them questions and they keep telling you to shut up, and then I accidentally entered a dungeon I couldn't exit that significantly outleveled me and I thought, I wasn't having much fun anyway.

If the game is actually about colonialism, I certainly didn't reach that part aside from the pretty superficial "colonizers trick the natives into gambling, which causes them to break the laws of the colonizers" in the first act. But the game wasn't giving me much of a reason to go further, and it had some gnarly save-loading time issues to boot. So based on what I played, it was the game that railroaded me into playing nice with my enemies from the first game, and let me tell you this didn't feel like a "we were enemies but we're buddies now" like an anime; it was just irritating, like being forced to work under a bunch of demanding assholes who the script doesn't allow you to talk back to. If you choose the sass options, they just insultingly smite you in text and you get a game over. Why the devs were this sadistically aggressive toward the player is beyond me.

It just wasn't a very good experience.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 11, 2024

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Khanstant posted:

Hahaha I hope to see it but I've seen too many big successes end up turning that company into a factory to produce more of it but worse, until it changes hands enough times and gets closed down or everyone laid off by some derranged gamblers.

Well, it's a private company and Swen seems like an alright person, so let's hope that doesn't happen.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

dads_work_files posted:

Baldur's Gate (And Oblivion, Two Worlds, insert generic fantasy realm here) doesn't really look like medieval England or northern Europe at all. They always look like gorgeous sun-kissed Mediterranean/Californian valleys and grasslands, and the colour palette is always exactly the same, and you lose something in not having the miserable rainy muddy gnarled woods and bleak dark ponds and so forth that Tolkien was writing about.

Yeah, I love the bleak... maybe a poison swamp or two...

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

!Klams posted:

The entire mission of D&D seems to be to take the concept of "fantasy" and suck all of the fantasy out of it. I liked the gameplay in BG3 well enough (enemy turns too long), but the world/stakes/characters were impossible to get invested in.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dads_work_files posted:

I'm reading lotr again and it's really striking how post apocalyptic the world feels, just ruins and forests for miles and the occasional town

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I mean there's what, five apocalypses before the rings even get forged.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I went back to Pillars 1 and enjoyed it way more. I hosed up my Pillars 2 save and was trying and failing to use console commands to fix it. Someday...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I mean there's what, five apocalypses before the rings even get forged.

FEMA is a curse word in Sinadarin

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Pillars of Eternity 1: boring real time with pause trash that has you kill a couple wolves and maybe a bear before dumping you in a town and expecting you to read pages and pages of text, much of it written by kickstarter backers who couldn't write a grocery list without making the Milk a Mary Sue or making the Bread a sex slave.

Pillars of Eternity 2: I dunno because lmfao if you think I'd ever put money in the pockets of Obsidian again.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 14 hours!)

here's the CRPG primer 2024 edition

baldur's gate 3: has close ups and really involves you in the interpersonal conflicts with cinematic camera angles at various points. no it's not just all about loving shadowheart, but that's kind of the reason it's so popular, that's your way in. or karlach, or even jaheira but she's 60 hours in. whatever. you're already playing it because of shadowheart.

every other crpg: i need to read this poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pillars of Eternity had the best stat/combat system in any CRPG, and some of the best writing of any CRPG