Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm breathing as side relief right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I, for one, am glad that Okada didn't go to the Rape Company

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hoss Corncave posted:

Yeah, how have they treated Jay White:

Gave him two solid debuts
Gave him his own Bullet Club faction
Gave him a spot on the card at Wembley
Gave him a storyline for the AEW title where he came out on top over and over against MJF until the PPV main event
Gave him a strong showing in the C2 getting to the semi-finals along with the ace of the company and the hottest rising star they have right now
Gave him and the Gunns the ROH 6 man titles, aligned them with The Acclaimed, and will inevitably be in a feud with the new main heel stable

In addition to this, he's also got probably the most protected finisher in the company (I can't remember if MJF kicked out of it cleanly, but I know no-one else has), and also managed to get a cardboard cutout of himself over as well. Not bad for less than a year in the company.

That said, just think of how much he could have gotten done with a year in NXT.

I'm not going to argue that WWE would have used Jay well because it's WWE. But "a spot on the card at Wembley", "got to hold the ROH 6 Man Titles with Billy Gunn's kids" aren't exactly much to write home about. When you've got 18 different titles in your company the lesser ones mean about as much as a pack of gum. At least he hasn't be dragged into Jericho/Callis purgatory for 6 months. Yet.

It's a legitimate gripe/concern/whatever you want to call it that AEW have a pretty top heavy roster that can't possibly utilise all the talent. And now you're adding another top name to the mix.

Look, I'm sad we'll never get a big Jay White face run in New Japan, it'd have ruled. But he quite sensibly went to a place that pays better, especially with the Yen in the dirt & almost the entire wrestling business in Japan struggling. It's a short career after all. Doesn't mean it's still not a bit of a bummer that he won't be around in a company where he was one of the top 4 guys in the company as opposed...I dunno, top 10 in AEW?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The account fka Vince's Thoughts has Opinions:

https://twitter.com/TripleHHHPaulL/status/1756698508348829883

Zack's right, showing Americans real graps is like reading Shakespeare to a dog.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I'm not going to argue that WWE would have used Jay well because it's WWE. But "a spot on the card at Wembley", "got to hold the ROH 6 Man Titles with Billy Gunn's kids" aren't exactly much to write home about. When you've got 18 different titles in your company the lesser ones mean about as much as a pack of gum. At least he hasn't be dragged into Jericho/Callis purgatory for 6 months. Yet.

It's a legitimate gripe/concern/whatever you want to call it that AEW have a pretty top heavy roster that can't possibly utilise all the talent. And now you're adding another top name to the mix.

Look, I'm sad we'll never get a big Jay White face run in New Japan, it'd have ruled. But he quite sensibly went to a place that pays better, especially with the Yen in the dirt & almost the entire wrestling business in Japan struggling. It's a short career after all. Doesn't mean it's still not a bit of a bummer that he won't be around in a company where he was one of the top 4 guys in the company as opposed...I dunno, top 10 in AEW?

Calling them just Billy Gunns kids highlights everything wrong with this sort of thinking lmao

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The Gunn sons started out as one of the worst nepotism hires in the company and turned into an incredible heel team

Also made pandemic dynamites way better

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

You can make literally anything in wrestling sound terrible if you remove all context

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021
On why Okada didn’t sign with the WWE.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

Cult of Pies posted:

they're right

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

I want to know what these bad habits Okada has that would need to be trained out of him are

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
I can understand the "Okada doesn't work in WWE" things because it's square peg round hole levels if disconnect but in what loving universe would WWE not want Will Ospreay or consider him not worth it? He'd be one of the youngest guys on the roster.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Lid posted:

I can understand the "Okada doesn't work in WWE" things because it's square peg round hole levels if disconnect but in what loving universe would WWE not want Will Ospreay or consider him not worth it? He'd be one of the youngest guys on the roster.

they can train their own will ospreay. any day now. it’ll happen trust the process. it’s only been 11 years since the PC opened

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

TinTower posted:

The account fka Vince's Thoughts has Opinions:

https://twitter.com/TripleHHHPaulL/status/1756698508348829883

Zack's right, showing Americans real graps is like reading Shakespeare to a dog.

i forgot to watch this until i saw this tweet. man what a sick match.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

VideoWitch posted:

I want to know what these bad habits Okada has that would need to be trained out of him are

That was exactly my first thought too

I bet that person thinks Okada is a "flippy guy"

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The bad habit is “not wrestling wwe house style”

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

post hole digger posted:

The bad habit is “not wrestling wwe house style”

The bad habit is "Wrestling"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The bad habit is getting really tiny so the camera guy has to suddenly zoom in to find him. They will fix that

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JUNGLE BOY posted:

they can train their own will ospreay. any day now. it’ll happen trust the process. it’s only been 11 years since the PC opened

Somebody's knees have to survive unscathed eventually, right?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

List of male PC exclusive trained WWE superstars (in the actual sense not in the WWE sense):

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Cult of Pies posted:

one of my favorite dumb wrestling post cliches is defining "famous" as how well known they are to me, a person who watches seven hours of one particular company each week

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

They didn't even get Trick's name right lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
wwe isnt for wrestling its for drama

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

forkboy84 posted:

AEW isn’t quite as top heavy as you’d think. Kenny is injured long term, MJF is injured, Adam Cole is injured, Chris Jericho, Adam Copeland and Christian probably aren’t going to be ppv main eventers anymore, Orange and Wardlow have probably peaked, pac is never around, Sammy Guevara and Jungle Boy don’t seem to be panning out as top guys (jury is still out on Darby), Miro and Malakai are barely around, and Ricky Starks seemingly has one foot out the door.

So that leaves you with Joe (who is getting up there in years) Hangman, Swerve, Ospreay, Jay White, Eddie, Danielson and Mox as your established top guys. Then there’s guys who likely could be pushed into the main event slot like Takeshita, Powerhouse Hobbs, Brody and Rush easily as well. So it’s definitely a competitive environment but there is definitely room at the top for Okada, especially when you consider that they’ll probably be increasing the number of ppvs.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
lolling imagining a baseball fan saying who the gently caress is shohei otani, we gotta get a real star in there like this guy whose been presented as a big deal during his time with the pawtucket red sox

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

little munchkin posted:

lolling imagining a baseball fan saying who the gently caress is shohei otani, we gotta get a real star in there like this guy whose been presented as a big deal during his time with the pawtucket red sox

It’s always funny to me too because like Okada is a known person in Japan. He throws out pitches at baseball games and shows up in random anime. King from Tekken has attire based off him and does the rainmaker. He’s not just some random guy working Japanese indies.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
anything that isn't the wwe is the indies and japan isnt even a real coutnry furthermore his name is stupid. sounds like he okada get out of here

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Fans coping extremely hard that Okada didn't sell his to soul to the Rape Company is making my day end on a bright note, thank you Tony K

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Orange and Wardlow have probably peaked

Wardlow has, but every other time I thought OC had peaked I was wrong, and he's definitely accepted at the top of the card.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

They didn't even get Trick's name right lol

No you’re thinking of the wrong guy, Trick William is what they’re calling Regal now after his cunning ruse to escape AEW

Goblin Queen
Mar 6, 2006

Goblin deez nuts amirite ladies?

Cult of Pies posted:

Okada saw Bron give himself a concussion running the ropes and knew he couldn't compete. He might as well retire

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/5Deuce4Tre7/status/1756768841038745812?s=20

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

up and coming homegrown stars like, uh, damian priest and la knight

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

in sports all the young talent fends for themselves until they're already stars which are then funneled into the big leagues where they are awkwardly placed in bad spots and told they have to stay there and try to make it work for several years before they get any choice in the matter

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

One of my favorite Okada Cope posts on reddit was someone saying "God if he wants to goof off in his late career he could just go to NXT and join Chase U" like, they can't fathom the idea that someone would prefer hanging out with/goofing off with people they've been friends with for like 20 years over a group of randos half their age.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

this is a good point since wrestling promotions all have an agreed upon hard salary cap and roster limits. its important to get young players in on cheap contracts before they hit free agency and demand too much money otherwise you have to pay a big luxury tax to someone

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Never forget all these people are going to bat for the rape factory

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Cult of Pies posted:

I am still not convinced that Trick Williams is a real person and not evil mirror universe Treat Williams

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
These people see clips of the craziest things wrestlers like Okada do on the biggest shows and assume they can only wrestle like that. Watch a tour show, guys. Okada can work a boring gentle run of the mill match with the best of 'em.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

El Generico posted:

These people see clips of the craziest things wrestlers like Okada do on the biggest shows and assume they can only wrestle like that. Watch a tour show, guys. Okada can work a boring gentle run of the mill match with the best of 'em.

It's people who get really angry when they see Kenny Omega doing goofy stuff cause "What happened to the Ultra Serious Big Match Kenny from New Japan!?!?", making it very obvious they literally only watch Wrestle Kingdom and nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

El Generico posted:

There was some guy earlier in the thread who tried to poo poo on Okada as a "flippy guy", a statement that establishes never having seen an Okada match.