Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

yeah I think a lot about shifting perspectives of normal. I think there’s a more well-known term that summarizes the phenomenon. like the photos of the trophy fish in the Florida keys gradually getting smaller

hey old rich dude: our lifestyle has ensured that no matter how much money, time, and effort you spend you’ll never get a glimpse of the world we killed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
The coolest one was oceans teeming with whales to the point where they obstructed navigation

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

what happens if it goes over the top line?

I think if I remember from the donkey Kong documentary we get what's known as a "kill screen". Could be good!

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

yeah I think a lot about shifting perspectives of normal. I think there’s a more well-known term that summarizes the phenomenon. like the photos of the trophy fish in the Florida keys gradually getting smaller

hey old rich dude: our lifestyle has ensured that no matter how much money, time, and effort you spend you’ll never get a glimpse of the world we killed

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

every summer i patiently wait in my living room until i hear the noble warble of the pigeon, i carefully slide open the patio door, pick up the pigeon and place it with the rest in my bedroom. 3 more birds and i will reach 10,000 and my work will be complete.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Is that a manatee on the lower level closest to the captain?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Dokapon Findom posted:

i may have been at sea too long but i think thats a mermaid

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Whatever it was we fukken killed it!!!

(We killed those too)

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
We made a special poison that killed bugs and also made bird eggs so brittle they crushed under their parents' weight.

Aside from dioxins being giga-poison to any non-human animal, or radioactivity, has anything else we released come close to the harm of DDT?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SixteenShells posted:

We made a special poison that killed bugs and also made bird eggs so brittle they crushed under their parents' weight.

Aside from dioxins being giga-poison to any non-human animal, or radioactivity, has anything else we released come close to the harm of DDT?

Leaded gas, PFCs (same dude invented both of these)

Regular ol' greenhouses gases that are going to kill us all

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

SixteenShells posted:

Plastic
CFCs
Fly ash
Whatever's in fracking mud that causes fish kills that the oil companies are allowed to keep secret because it's proprietary technology
Surfactants used to "break up" oil spills that wipe out entire marine ecosystems
Synthetic rubber
Artificial tire reefs
Good ol co2

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lol also just transporting invasive species around on purpose has probably caused a few thousand extinctions

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Literally being so hungry for tortoise that no specimens of some extinct species ever made it back to Europe to be scientifically described before they were all eaten

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Star Trek episode where they're transporting specimens back from Turkana IX but then someone complains about how replicator tortoise isn't as good as the real thing and there's an extremely pregnant pause

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

been enjoying these eagle nest cams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4-L2nfGcuE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pmsuKWKf90

also like these falcons they dont have a nest rn but are cool looking birds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pDHNOleGrI

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Kids these days, idiots have no idea how to catch fish

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

Plastic
CFCs
Fly ash
Whatever's in fracking mud that causes fish kills that the oil companies are allowed to keep secret because it's proprietary technology
Surfactants used to "break up" oil spills that wipe out entire marine ecosystems
Synthetic rubber
Artificial tire reefs
Good ol co2

Don't forget the radioactive brine being poured on roads to de-ice.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Pfas disrupting all the endocrine systems.

That chemical in tires thats killing all the salmon and destroying the whole food web.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

The Oldest Man posted:

Lol also just transporting invasive species around on purpose has probably caused a few thousand extinctions

Kudzu was intentionally brought to the American South to fight against soil erosion, lmao

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Humans are an invasive species from Africa

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

The Oldest Man posted:

Plastic
CFCs
Fly ash
Synthetic rubber
Artificial tire reefs
Good ol co2
[quote="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dog_mine"]The state of Alaska produces three times more toxins than every other American state—834 million pounds.[31] The TRI placed Kotzebue as the most toxic place in the United States. However, as National Geographic explains, the source of the toxins is not Kotzebue, but Red Dog Mine.[30] Since the mine is located in a remote area in Alaska, the toxic release is linked to the nearest "city"— Kotzebue.[30] The EPA says that when a "facility" is "not located in a city, town, village, or similar entity will often list a nearby city." National Geographic says that, "All 756 million pounds of toxic chemicals attributed to "Kotzebue" on the TRI dataset came from one of the world's largest zinc and lead mines, the Red Dog Mine, which is located about 80 miles north of Kotzebue."[30] There is no evidence that Kotzebue is at any risk of toxic pollution.[30]
lmao

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

baseline shift

It's a good term

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Oldest Man posted:

Dodos had the largest brain of any bird that coexisted with humans. They had complex social structures and they could predict the weather, so they'd move off the beaches well in advance of storms. We think of them as stupid birds because they had no natural predators, so the sailors and dogs and rats ate them to extinction.

There's a rabbit-like animal called a mara that lives in South America. Their population declined badly because of competition from invasive rabbits, so the Chilean government introduced North American coyotes that eat rabbits. The coyotes found the mara easier prey, so they started killing them all, and the coyotes had to be completely culled.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

when i was in college i wanted to work for the epa

lol :negative:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Chamale posted:

Dodos had the largest brain of any bird that coexisted with humans. They had complex social structures and they could predict the weather, so they'd move off the beaches well in advance of storms. We think of them as stupid birds because they had no natural predators, so the sailors and dogs and rats ate them to extinction.

There's a rabbit-like animal called a mara that lives in South America. Their population declined badly because of competition from invasive rabbits, so the Chilean government introduced North American coyotes that eat rabbits. The coyotes found the mara easier prey, so they started killing them all, and the coyotes had to be completely culled.

in hawaii they released mongoose to kill the rats but then instead of fighting they joined forced to kill the native birds twice as fast.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

look if you don't want your mongeese, I'll take them.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

um excuse me check your privilege

quote:

Red Dog is located on land owned by the for-profit NANA Regional Corporation (NANA)—one of thirteen Alaska Native Regional Corporations created under the Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act of 1971 (ANCSA) as part of the settlement of Alaska Native land claims.[6] NANA's land base in the Kotzebue area in northwest Alaska. NANA's Alaska Native shareholders are of Inupiat descent. The mine is operated by the Canadian giant mining company Teck Resources in partnership with NANA Development Corporation.[7]

thats an alaska native owned small business youre badmouthing

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!

The Voice of Labor posted:

look if you don't want your mongeese, I'll take them.

The government doesn't want you to know that Mongeese are free. I tried to take 20 home, but customs stopped me so I released them at the airport.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

posting on the true patriot page

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Did windshields really used to get covered in bugs while driving?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

lol

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Yep. That's how you knew it was warmer weather again!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

quiggy posted:

Kudzu was intentionally brought to the American South to fight against soil erosion, lmao

Read some study, maybe from this thread, where kudzu has been found to be less invasive than previously thought... except in cases where there's already mega disruption

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Yes, but really only when you were out on the highway

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Now thanks to the unrelenting heat and smoke from wildfires I no longer have that problem. Imagine how much money I saved in car washes for my F250 turbo diesel

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Hit Man posted:

Now thanks to the unrelenting heat and smoke from wildfires I no longer have that problem. Imagine how much money I saved in car washes for my F250 turbo diesel

A lot of less fortunate people have to pay good money for a volcanic pumice cleansing bath.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

:crnasickos:

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Dokapon Findom posted:

Nah, follow the line of its body up and you can see its gills and its bottom jaw (you can't see its entire head because the hook is in the lower jaw and the rest of the head is flopping down and away from the camera).

That's just an absolutely massive fatty fish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
monitor