Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

kzmn
Dec 11, 2006

Moose King posted:

There are caches scattered around, usually near a building. It looks like an orange or blue shipping container, buried so you can only see the small end. You have to blow it open with a grenade or red explosive barrel, and it usually has money/super credits/weapons.

Yeah, the little glowing pods can have some good stuff, but fairly rarely. The shipping containers and the underground vaults that need two people to push buttons are where the real money's at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

JBP posted:

This is absolutely not true. The spew tracks you and there's no window in which the dive is safe. I have been spewed many times in the middle of what I'd consider a perfect dive. The only answer is don't get spewed on by hitting them with AT.

That's weird, diving is my go to for avoiding their spew and its always been pretty reliable for me, maybe you're just leaving it too late?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

DelphiAegis posted:

If you take extra supplies from a supply drop, you can refill your backpack charges, and the supply drop has a way shorter cooldown than the backpack, but the pack is a free refill too, yeah. Really helps for the long missions and your own longevity.

You cant take your own stuff off the backpack, right? Like an mg mag etc

vv: sweet, tyvm

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 12, 2024

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

yeah you can, hit down arrow

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

That's weird, diving is my go to for avoiding their spew and its always been pretty reliable for me, maybe you're just leaving it too late?

I've been trying it at various times and it feels extremely unreliable. Might be netcode or something but I often get laser accurate spews that hit me while in the dive and finish me on the ground.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

A good video of game mechanics. Always remember to check weapons for alt fire modes, like different RPM, zoom level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RudwPrcnmFc

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Imagine taking a 500kg bomb to the skull and still being able to stagger forwards a little:
https://i.imgur.com/Qft2KIH.mp4

Moose King posted:

There are caches scattered around, usually near a building. It looks like an orange or blue shipping container, buried so you can only see the small end. You have to blow it open with a grenade or red explosive barrel, and it usually has money/super credits/weapons.
Specifically, look for these:

Most of my super creds I've picked up have been from these.

idiotsavant posted:

lol yeah when New World blew up (before AGS then blew up lol) didn't it hit over a million concurrent? Feels like there's been a little bit of a release lull and with Fatshark making GBS threads the bed so hard with Darktide there's definitely some pent-up demand for pve horde co-op. And other than the network stuff the game feels really, really good. 360k seems low to me, too
I think it's important to put into context that Helldivers 1 was a pretty small and niche game, as much as I love it. They probably didn't expect this one to blow up as big as it did.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

jabro posted:

I’m not a network engineer but those numbers they had set seem crazy low. I’m sure I’m wrong but man.

It's almost certainly not the network infrastructure (I would presume this is hosted in a cloud service provider and maybe fronted with a CDN). The thing that is killing them is probably session management and data consistency as they try to scale up to demand.

There becomes a point where "add more/bigger servers" stops working to solve load problems because more/bigger application servers start to overwhelm the storage/database systems they rely on with sessions. Then, after scaling out the storage/database systems to compensate, the data tiers struggle to keep the data they have consistent as they need to communicate more and more among themselves to stay in sync.

I've heard the increase in expense to answer for that kind of problem tends to happen in leaps, so nobody wants to eat that expense until they are sure they need it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Major Operation posted:

It's almost certainly not the network infrastructure (I would presume this is hosted in a cloud service provider and maybe fronted with a CDN). The thing that is killing them is probably session management and data consistency as they try to scale up to demand.

There becomes a point where "add more/bigger servers" stops working to solve load problems because more/bigger application servers start to overwhelm the storage/database systems they rely on with sessions. Then, after scaling out the storage/database systems to compensate, the data tiers struggle to keep the data they have consistent as they need to communicate more and more among themselves to stay in sync.

I've heard the increase in expense to answer for that kind of problem tends to happen in leaps, so nobody wants to eat that expense until they are sure they need it.

Thanks for this explanation. It helps me put it in a better perspective.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, people think it's just a matter of turning the dial up on your hardware. And while cloud providers have made that easier, at scale it's still not an easily solved problem and plenty of companies still have trouble. Games are especially difficult because the software backing it is more or less bespoke for each game. It's different when you're Netflix and you're doing the same, repeatable thing pretty much over and over again. Even for something like streaming the Superbowl, there's usually hundreds, if not thousands, of people making sure that's working on all the different platforms. I deal with large launches regularly for my job and it's not easy.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 12, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Super Earth Defense Force

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
It still comes down to truncating your tempdb’s but devops keeps making people forget.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

sorry guys I keep connecting with the player name drop_table; and breaking everything

Orv
May 4, 2011
I am declaring the bugs bad and not fun and the robots good and most fun.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I am already excited as hell for when they add the Illuminates as the third faction. :zaeed:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Orv posted:

I am declaring the bugs bad and not fun and the robots good and most fun.

Not very patriotic of you there fellow.

How quick you are to forget Buenos Aires!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I hope we get Ork dakka boyz as the 4th or 5th faction.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

chargers need to be nerfed

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Bugs are fine, they just don't do much on the lower difficulties. Since those are the only ones people can reliably clear with a random group, bugs getting tiring very quickly.

Even on the lower difficulties, bots very much make you feel like you are in The poo poo and have way more going on.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

The murder robots feel significantly harder than the bugs. Just playing on medium so far and the difference between the two seems big

They are harder in that they have guns, things don't go sideways as fast though, since multiple chargers get out of hand fast IME

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

victrix posted:

chargers need to be nerfed

I tend to agree, they don’t need to have as much HP as they do because they’re so well armored and mobile.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Solo feels so much different than even with one more person, it's wild.

Does the game scale per player or am I shooting myself in the foot by rolling alone?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Chargers would be fine if they weren't spawning several at a time on difficulty 4 :argh:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Chargers are fine imo, but Jesus the infinite wave glitch needs to get fixed.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Too many people getting into fights with enemy patrols, and then just staying to fight the enemies that spawn instead of running away. Slowing down a big wave of enemies chasing you is when something like a minefield stratagem would be useful, but so many times I've seen people go into a heavy nest, clear it, and then just run around the put in circles fighting the new enemies that are appearing out of thin air instead of moving away to something else.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Yeah I think the scout armor perk may not so secretly be the best option.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

Solo feels so much different than even with one more person, it's wild.

Does the game scale per player or am I shooting myself in the foot by rolling alone?

It's doable on very low difficulty settings. You're screwing yourself for no good reason other than style points doing it on higher difficulties. It's balanced around playing a full team.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

It's fun to shoot poo poo

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

TheMostFrench posted:

Too many people getting into fights with enemy patrols, and then just staying to fight the enemies that spawn instead of running away. Slowing down a big wave of enemies chasing you is when something like a minefield stratagem would be useful, but so many times I've seen people go into a heavy nest, clear it, and then just run around the put in circles fighting the new enemies that are appearing out of thin air instead of moving away to something else.

I soloed half of a Challenging mission because the pubbies just kept fighting random poo poo while I ran around actually doing the objectives. It was actually kind of handy because they kept getting bug breaches while I could just run around dropping Liberty on POIs and nests.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

So.....breaches can be evaded? Or you can just run away from them?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Potato Salad posted:

So.....breaches can be evaded? Or you can just run away from them?

JUST SPRINT OUT! you can leave!!!

patrols
breaches
drop ships
random spawns
cleared objectives
airstrikes if your quick

IF IT SUCKS...HIT DA BRICKS!!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao, we threw some explosives down to an ammo pile from on top of a hill, the explosion lapped our feet, we felt like cool dudes.

The secondary explosion blew us all off MLG Mountain into Bad Kid Valley :haw:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Running away is for cowards.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JBP posted:

Running away is for cowards.

How are you supposed to get the oil out of the bugs if you won't shoot them?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I would simply let my lust for liberty and freedom sustain me rather than dying like some base coward

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If you don't end every engagement by calling a 380mm barrage down on your own position while screaming get some are you even a helldiver?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Laser cannon feels terrible lol. Literally deflects off chargers armor.

Bile spewers are what gives us the most trouble unless we bring an autocannon or two. Just hit level 8 so hope to get that tomorrow. Running Hards in-house, just unlocked Extreme.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 12, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Dandywalken posted:

Laser cannon feels terrible lol. Literally deflects off chargers armor.

I think it's value is mainly in unlimited ammo. Most things deflect off the charger armour though.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The recoilless seems like the charger answer. Unlike some of the other bugs if chargers lose a leg they die immediately and a recoilless to the leg does the job. Otherwise it’s four auto cannon rounds to the rear end and while that’s pretty ammo efficient the time they take to bleed out is occasionally a problem.

E: Or take the limiter off the railgun and do them in a couple shots but don’t gently caress up or blammo

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Am I imagining things or does the LAS-5 Scythe kinda suck?

I have been running an explosive Liberator and the Laser Cannon, and enjoying that combo immensely. Got the Scythe with the intention of trading out the support weapon for something more potent to deal with big enemies, but I’m not sure I can get by with the Scythe for anything but the chaff enemies?

The Laser Cannon did a pretty decent job of dealing with most stuff, but the Scythe just feels weak?

By contrast a guy I was teamed with had an Incendiary Breaker from the DLC pack and he just shredded everything moving with it?

:smith: I like the laser guns