Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Esran
Apr 28, 2008

Kagrenak posted:

You could analyze the actual reporting instead of making up what you think it would look like you know. The tone has been shifted since October and November when everyone was stumbling over themselves to mention that the Gazan health ministry is "Hamas Run". The media is definitely still being soft in Israel and it's sickening that it took this long for it to even get here but you're vastly overstating where it is now.

I think some cynicism and dislike of the media is warranted in light of the fact that CNN was shown last week to have been (are?) operating as a propaganda outlet for Israel.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2024/feb/04/cnn-staff-pro-israel-bias posted:

According to accounts from six CNN staffers in multiple newsrooms, and more than a dozen internal memos and emails obtained by the Guardian, daily news decisions are shaped by a flow of directives from the CNN headquarters in Atlanta that have set strict guidelines on coverage.

They include tight restrictions on quoting Hamas and reporting other Palestinian perspectives while Israel government statements are taken at face value. In addition, every story on the conflict must be cleared by the Jerusalem bureau before broadcast or publication.

(...)

A note at the top of the two-page memo pointed to an instruction “from Mark” to pay attention to a particular paragraph under “coverage guidance”. The paragraph said that, while CNN would report the human consequences of the Israeli assault and the historical context of the story, “we must continue always to remind our audiences of the immediate cause of this current conflict, namely the Hamas attack and mass murder and kidnap of civilians”. (Italics in the original.)

(...)

The same memo said that any reference to casualty figures from the Gaza health ministry must say it is “Hamas-controlled”

(...)

David Lindsay, the senior director of news standards and practices, issued a directive in early November effectively barring the reporting of most Hamas statements, characterising them as “inflammatory rhetoric and propaganda”.

“Most of it has been said many times before and is not newsworthy. We should be careful not to give it a platform,” he wrote.

(...)

In contrast, one CNN staffer noted that the network repeatedly aired inflammatory rhetoric and propaganda from Israeli officials and American supporters, often without challenge in interviews.

(...)

Some CNN staff fear that the result is a network acting as a surrogate censor on behalf of the Israeli government.

“The system results in chosen individuals editing any and all reporting with an institutionalised pro-Israel bias, often using passive language to absolve the [Israel Defense Forces] of responsibility, and playing down Palestinian deaths and Israeli attacks,” said one of the network’s journalists.

(...)

Another presenter, Sara Sidner, drew criticism for her excitable report on unverified Israeli claims that Hamas beheaded dozens of babies on 7 October.

(...)

She responded to a Hamas denial that it had decapitated babies as unbelievable “when we literally have video of these guys, of these militants, of these terrorists doing exactly what they say they’re not doing to civilians and to children”.

Except, as a CNN journalist pointed out, the network did not have such video and, apparently, neither did anyone else.

(...)

Tim Langmaid, the Atlanta-based CNN vice-president and senior editorial director, sent an instruction that President Biden’s claims to have seen pictures of the alleged atrocity “back up what the Israeli government said”.

I think being a little disillusioned with mainstream media is completely reasonable. I see no reason to assume CNN is unique in this respect, considering what coverage has looked like the past months.

Western mainstream media are about as trustworthy on this subject as RT are on Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Hong XiuQuan posted:

'The Hundred Years' War on Palestine' by Nur Masalha is great.

Pro read. It's by Rashid Khalidi though ;)

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

It's debated! The fact that one side has no reasonable case doesn't change that fact.

One could technically call the holocaust debated. Even though the side who disagrees with it's framing are neonazis holocaust deniers with no factual basis.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/ireallyhateyou/status/1756438313899024862

It's shocking how normalised all of this is

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Pro read. It's by Rashid Khalidi though ;)

Brain on autopilot, facepalm.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Who?

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Esran posted:

I think some cynicism and dislike of the media is warranted in light of the fact that CNN was shown last week to have been (are?) operating as a propaganda outlet for Israel.

I think being a little disillusioned with mainstream media is completely reasonable. I see no reason to assume CNN is unique in this respect, considering what coverage has looked like the past months.

Western mainstream media are about as trustworthy on this subject as RT are on Ukraine.

That's why I directly pulled the articles and didn't defend them in absentia. Because I don't trust them enough to give them the benefit of the doubt so I directly went and read what they wrote. There's a difference between being disillusioned and making things up. This isn't a venting forum, it's the one for nominally serious discussion.

Kagrenak fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 11, 2024

Esran
Apr 28, 2008
Sounds fine, I wasn't really disagreeing with you. It was mostly an excuse to share the article about fake news and the propaganda effort. I think it is worth reading.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Esran posted:

Sounds fine, I wasn't really disagreeing with you. It was mostly an excuse to share the article about fake news and the propaganda effort. I think it is worth reading.

Fair. I did read the article fwiw. Then I went back and scanned through some CNN articles and you know what they do mention 7 Oct in basically every mention of Gaza in a way the NYTimes just doesn't, and also still constantly insert the phrase "Hamas-run" in front of casualty figures from the health ministry.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

fuctifino posted:

It's shocking how normalised all of this is

This has to be a byproduct of National Service being a core pillar of Israeli life, right? When American cops and soldiers post things like this, they do it in closed and unofficial Facebook groups or similar for an audience of other cops or soldiers. But compulsary service in the IDF has created a huge audience of Israeli civilians who are ex-servicepeople who will glom onto this type of content.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

High Warlord Zog posted:

This has to be a byproduct of National Service being a core pillar of Israeli life, right? When American cops and soldiers post things like this, they do it in closed and unofficial Facebook groups or similar for an audience of other cops or soldiers. But compulsary service in the IDF has created a huge audience of Israeli civilians who are ex-servicepeople who will glom onto this type of content.

I dunno, I feel like the volunteer aspect of our armies means we put them on a pedestal so when PFC John Joeson got photographed stealing from a random house in Kabul there were a thousand chickenhawks telling us to not disrespect our heroes

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The IOF has begun bombing Rafah with the heaviest bombardment the city has seen to date

This is Rafah a week ago. It's probably filled up with many more survivors over the past 7 days.

1.5 million people are crammed in the red area that Israel is now dropping bombs onto

I'm just lost for words. Numb. :(

e: Netanyahu seems to have timed the slaughter to coincide with the Superbowl

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 12, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Israeli conscription is in a weird place, I think, because while normally conscript soldiers don't really get a ton of respect - sympathy, yes, but not respect - Israel has the whole thing about feeling existentially threatened by military force 24/7/365. Self fulfilling prophecy aside, that's a pretty strong booster to military service being seen as a bit of a sacred duty (unless you're particularly leftist, particularly pacifist, or one of the various ultradevout groups that gets exemptions).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I was hoping against hope they'd back down from Rafah. gently caress.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I mean why would they, they're soulless ghouls and no one with power in the American government is actually putting any effort in to stop them.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

It's like people can't quite grasp what 'Israel is openly committing genocide' means.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Seems like the IDF timed its new wave of attacks with the Superbowl in the US.

I mean, it's likely wasted craftiness because it's not people would care even if they were not glued to the screen, but you do you I guess.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Israel is looking to expand the war into Egypt, with their media manufacturing consent for a war with Egypt.
https://www.jpost.com/middle-east/article-786386

quote:

Egypt may become an unstoppable enemy for Israel, former IDF general warns
"For years, they've been building highways into Sinai. We're the target. They're not building the army for anywhere else," retired Major General Yitzhak Brik said.

At the beginning of the program on 103FM, Arel Segal and the guest presenter, retired Major-General Yitzhak Brik, discussed the progress of the fighting in the Gaza Strip and the weakening of Hamas.

"There are reports that the head of the Mossad is formulating the Israeli response to the mediators' proposals, although it is unclear if there is a coherent strategy in light of Hamas's response," said Segal. "How can we advance here before we're in a military event? The issue of the hostages is a strategic event."

He added further, "We see that the IDF's ability to tail Hamas is diminishing, as well as the level of operational mistakes. The question after today is very significant. There was a dream here from the perspective of those who managed the Hostage and Missing Families Forum, [but] the pressure on the government did not work."

In response, Brik argued, "Hamas still feels very strong. It is willing to give up homes and people who are killed, but it feels that we are not likely to topple it. Therefore, it uses cynical language, it does not want to reach an agreement on the hostages. They have time. To weaken their capabilities - it seems we are not approaching it. Hamas will continue to exist."

Regarding the fighting in the Philadelphi Corridor and in Rafah, Brik said, "The Philadelphi Corridor, we all know we have evacuations from Sinai under the corridor. The IDF did not want to sit along this corridor for the next few years because it did not have the power to do so and because there would be many casualties, so it hoped that the Egyptians would do it.

“But today, there is a very big problem with Egypt. They are not ready to do it in our place. They also do not agree for us to do it from this side of the corridor, and they threaten that if we start doing various things that will cause masses to cross into Sinai, then they will stop the peace.

"Although it's a poor country, it's the strongest army in the Middle East today - 4,000 tanks, 2,000 modern ones, hundreds of the most advanced aircraft, and a navy of the best there is.

For years, they've been building highways into Sinai. We're the target. They're not building the army for anywhere else. This means one decision to cancel peace, they become an enemy state, and we don't even have a brigade to stand against it."

This is the same day, that Sisi in Egypt formally advised Netanyahu that they will seek to withdrawal from the Camp David Accords if Israel invades Rafah.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I hope everyday that the Israeli public gets wise to the conflict constantly expanding and threatening the stability of the region just to keep Netanyahu in power for a few days longer and it just never seems to happen.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Young Freud posted:

Israel is looking to expand the war into Egypt, with their media manufacturing consent for a war with Egypt.

Hmm. I'd take this with a whole shaker of salt. Not to give Israel any credit, but retired military officers say a LOT of insane poo poo that is basically airing their martial fantasies and hoping someone in power picks them up and makes them real.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Young Freud posted:

This is the same day, that Sisi in Egypt formally advised Netanyahu that they will seek to withdrawal from the Camp David Accords if Israel invades Rafah.

I've never said this before and never will again, but good on Sisi. As bad as the humanitarian situation was, and also the pre oct 6 very slow ethnic cleansing and humanitarian situation, this is a distressing and substantial escalation.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Nice to see the president of Mexico taking the lead to put pressure on Israel

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

We need to stop giving Israel money and weapons. I know that won't make all the weapons we've already given them magically go away, that damage can't be undone, but it's inexcusable to keep supplying them.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.
E: Nevermind, blanked on the stupid joke

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Kalit posted:

E: Nevermind, blanked on the stupid joke

E: nm

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

We need to stop giving Israel money and weapons. I know that won't make all the weapons we've already given them magically go away, that damage can't be undone, but it's inexcusable to keep supplying them.

Actually, the way Israel is using munitions, it would appear to magically go away for them.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I was hoping against hope they'd back down from Rafah. gently caress.

I was hoping against hope the Nazis would volunteer to close their concentration camps.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Marenghi posted:

I was hoping against hope the Nazis would volunteer to close their concentration camps.

more like hoping an aggressor would decide further shittery was too expensive but go off I guess

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Google Jeb Bush posted:

more like hoping an aggressor would decide further shittery was too expensive but go off I guess

Both Biden and the Biden admin are giving a blank check.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
What expense. Biden gave them the go ahead provided they had a plan in place to minimize casualties. Which is vague AF. They can claim they had a plan as they murder women and children by the 100s.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Eh, I think it is fair to see this as a category error - this is being approached as the culmination of a campaign of genocidal extermination, not just military aggression, and that means that the usual cost/benefit analyses don't really apply (even before we get into the unlimited largesse Israel is getting from the US).

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh, I think it is fair to see this as a category error - this is being approached as the culmination of a campaign of genocidal extermination, not just military aggression, and that means that the usual cost/benefit analyses don't really apply (even before we get into the unlimited largesse Israel is getting from the US).

Yeah, my post earlier was more glib than I meant it to be, but this is what I was trying to express.

Israel is trying to kill or displace every single Palestinian. It's not war, it's genocide.

Especially if anyone in Israel actually fears international intervention might be on the way. That would mean that no expense is too high, because this might be their last chance to eradicate the Palestinian population of Gaza.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Google Jeb Bush posted:

that was a reasonable response to your post. why would israel voluntarily stop doing something that they 1) want to do and 2) fulfils longstanding geopolitical objectives and 3) no one is apparently going to or willing to stop them from doing

israel isn't stopping until compelled to stop

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

that was a reasonable response to your post. why would israel voluntarily stop doing something that they 1) want to do and 2) fulfils longstanding geopolitical objectives and 3) no one is apparently going to or willing to stop them from doing

israel isn't stopping until compelled to stop

To be fair, I had a brief moment of hope that maybe Egypt would actually step up (out of self-interest if nothing else), so I can understand the impulse to seek things to hope for.

Unfortunately it seems to me that Israel and Egypt might have made a deal behind the scenes that Israel will just keep doing the same short bombing runs on Rafah like they made today, to maximise the killing but minimise the fleeing across the border. Egypt (its leaders and military, not its people) only cares about Palestinians insomuch as they don't want a refugee crisis on their hands. They're totally on board with letting Israel slaughter as many as possible and letting hunger and illness take care of the rest.

The tanks Egypt moved to the border unfortunately work both ways - they might be a threat to Israel, but they also work as a warning to any Palestinians thinking of trying to cross the border.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

it has weirdly escaped notice how lovely egypt's government is and how this plays into the execution-en-masse of the gaza population but yeah their primary concern in all this is "how do we end up with as little of this riff-raff in OUR borders"

like playing a little balancing act of finding the appropriate level of cover your rear end appearances which still keeps as many Palestinians out

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Marenghi posted:

What expense. Biden gave them the go ahead provided they had a plan in place to minimize casualties. Which is vague AF. They can claim they had a plan as they murder women and children by the 100s.

The go-ahead and insane levels of military aid, non-military aid and it seems at least $1bn has been raise at state/local govt level in the US for bonds https://news.littlesis.org/2024/02/05/u-s-state-and-local-treasuries-hold-at-least-1-6-billion-in-israel-bonds/. Highly suspect it's likely this kind of bond investment is actively encouraged at federal level as a form of alternate funding for Israel. Vast sums.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Probably not in the way you expect but effectively yes. Those categories of investor are heavily restricted in what they can buy, both in legal and practical limits. Effectively, the only thing they can substantially invest in are AAA and government bonds. They are utterly desperate for returns, and willing to take war bonds and pseudo war bonds as a non excluded speculative asset. Considering that BDS is effectively banned in official rationalization they absolutely will take the bumped premiums. Currently, Israeli bonds are about 1.5% over same maturity US notes because they are issuing so many.

Never expect the money managers to do any good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Good, lengthy thread on the IDF's latest round of bullshit, this time about a 'Hamas command centre' under the UNRWA headquarters.

https://x.com/michakobs/status/1756821215212130459?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Good, lengthy thread on the IDF's latest round of bullshit, this time about a 'Hamas command centre' under the UNRWA headquarters.

https://x.com/michakobs/status/1756821215212130459?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

I'm surprised journalists gave this even 5 seconds of consideration.

"You'll show us what you consider evidence under your terms even though it's extremely questionable?"

This is about the level of ill conceived Russian propaganda. Even in the most extreme scenario if it's actually somehow magically true, what would anyone do with this information?

Israel apparently would keep doing what it's doing and so would Egypt. Those two are actually the most complicit parties here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I'm surprised journalists gave this even 5 seconds of consideration.

"You'll show us what you consider evidence under your terms even though it's extremely questionable?"

This is about the level of ill conceived Russian propaganda. Even in the most extreme scenario if it's actually somehow magically true, what would anyone do with this information?

Israel apparently would keep doing what it's doing and so would Egypt. Those two are actually the most complicit parties here.

You literally named a third complicit party yourself: western media uncritically laundering Israeli propaganda. To say nothing of America continuing to supply Israel and run interference for them in the global stage.