Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Grozz Nuy posted:

If you sit him for two years you're wasting two seasons of his rookie deal. Anybody who needs to sit for that long just isn't that good of a prospect.

I get the cap argument. We literally have it right now with mr irrelevant and the highest paid and best qb (who was taking a discount but got his contract adjusted to be ahead of Chris Jones in yearly pay).

But what about the fact that all the best QBs sat a year?
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...likely-succeed/

I would almost sit my rookie QB for a year just to get that good juju going. If you check that chart it's insane how many of the top qbs sat for at least a year. And Jordache love looks like he's going to be a member of the "sat for at least a year and became great" group

NFL offense is hard and it really seems to help guys processing to participate in practice and be mentored a little bit before setting off. the day 1 starters are not a happy group

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Grozz Nuy posted:

If you sit him for two years you're wasting two seasons of his rookie deal. Anybody who needs to sit for that long just isn't that good of a prospect.

For any prospect other than QB, sure.

For a QB. I extremely disagree. That position is too important that if you think someone has the "thing" to play it at the NFL level but does have some things they need to clean up and fix with bench time while a vet plays.

The rookie contract stuff is a cool bonus. But like what's more important is finding that dude.

Not to mention that by drafting him in the first vs drafting one in the second and later you get an extra year of cheap control.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People overate the rookie deal stuff. It’s good obviously but you can’t build your entire team around that idea. That only works in hindsight

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
The QB on a rookie deal poo poo is stuff the Bears are going through right now.

And it's been infuriating and a copout.

When people go on about resetting the QB contract and the value of a QB on a rookie deal all they are saying is that they don't think the current QB is worth paying, but trying to be nice and not wanting to say on wax that the current QB just hasn't been good enough to pay. Which is actually what's going on.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Grozz Nuy posted:

Oh, is that so?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the one real red flag guy like that was trey lance who it was obvious needed to sit for multiple years and learn a lot, and importantly he did not do so. trey had to either play, be ready to play, or rehab from injury more often than anything else. not counting garbage time or maybe one game at most, if a first round qb sits more than one full season, his peers since 2000 are rivers, pennington, grossman, and rodgers. if you stretched it a little bit you can include jordan love. more than anything the circumstances that bring the idea to fruition almost never happen. there isn't much to say the sitting part is a red flag

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
The Packers need to draft Isaiah Davis.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Mahomes?

I guess Mahomes played a garbage time game, but that's within the spirit of sitting imo.

It's usually because Teams do not have the institutional constitution to actually realize it means you might need to sign a vet backup, and have 3 qb's on the roster, or to withstand fan and ownership pressure, if things aren't going well with the starter.

Also not playing in year one due to injury is a bit different.

Durr Kommissar
Jan 25, 2010
It’s just so fun to see Allen in the Week 2-8 starter list and then see our good friend Losman in the Year 2 starter list. The true duality of Bills.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
There's no one way to develop a QB

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Actually, adjusting it.

It's less that you have to be willing to sit them, it's more if you do start them, you have to have the leeway from management and ownership to be willing to not win, and let them make mistakes and find their limits. While continuing to drill in process over results. With QB's who need like mechanical adjustments or other things that they would get benefits from sitting and just reworking things.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

a neat cape posted:

There's no one way to develop a QB

Yes, there is.

The Packer Way.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The correct way to develop a QB is to play them a year, dump them , then move onto the next one

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

mahomes sat 1 year and i didn't want to bother having someone come back and say, "i didn't say 1 year"

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Yes, there is.

The Packer Way.

Going by Rodgers and Favre, this is basically just sending them to read 4chan?

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Coldforge posted:

Ehh, more like the depths of Conservative 4chan.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Coldforge posted:

Favre couldn't read a defense, you think he could read 4chan?

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

A Sneaker Broker posted:

finally got around to watching some film on him, and ehhhhh? Don't hate him, don't love him. I was expecting more power for a guy that slow. I have him down in the 10-12 range of RBs.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I'm a little concerned about how much use he got in college. On the running back front, someone I've been looking at is Marshawn Lloyd from USC, I think he could be picked up in the 4th or 5th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr94sngSmkc

He slips through contact in a way that reminds me of Aaron Jones. Obviously much less graceful than AJ. Decent enough catcher too.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

finally got around to watching some film on him, and ehhhhh? Don't hate him, don't love him. I was expecting more power for a guy that slow. I have him down in the 10-12 range of RBs.

I’m trusting my gut on him. And Isaac Guerendo.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm a little concerned about how much use he got in college. On the running back front, someone I've been looking at is Marshawn Lloyd from USC, I think he could be picked up in the 4th or 5th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr94sngSmkc

He slips through contact in a way that reminds me of Aaron Jones. Obviously much less graceful than AJ. Decent enough catcher too.

If you watched USC Football at all this season or ask any USC fan, they’ll tell you he has ball security issues galore. Sometimes too careless and free with the ball in his hands.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Dejan Bimble posted:

I get the cap argument. We literally have it right now with mr irrelevant and the highest paid and best qb (who was taking a discount but got his contract adjusted to be ahead of Chris Jones in yearly pay).

But what about the fact that all the best QBs sat a year?
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...likely-succeed/

I would almost sit my rookie QB for a year just to get that good juju going. If you check that chart it's insane how many of the top qbs sat for at least a year. And Jordache love looks like he's going to be a member of the "sat for at least a year and became great" group

NFL offense is hard and it really seems to help guys processing to participate in practice and be mentored a little bit before setting off. the day 1 starters are not a happy group

The most valuable learning experience is real game time experience.

Joe Burrow did not need to sit a year. Nor did Herbert, nor did Peyton Manning, nor did Russell Wilson, etc.

And importantly, sitting probably did not help Jordan Love *that* much.

Jordan Love sucked at the start of the year and he got better as he gained real time real world experience.

The key is to make sure your coach and front office create a safe and growth oriented environment to foster the qb development.

E: cj stroud, mvp for all future years

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 11, 2024

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Herbert would have benefited a lot having a season where he sat and learned how to throw a touch pass

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I like Lloyd a lot too. He does put it on the ground at an alarming rate though.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean saying they did not need it is a bit counter factual. Who knows if it would have helped them along

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Metapod posted:

Herbert would have benefited a lot having a season where he sat and learned how to throw a touch pass

1. Herbie is perfect
2. He could have learned how to throw a touchdown pass his rookie season if he had good coaching instead of a clusterfuck

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Watched Isaiah Davis tape. He's just okay. Not particularly fast or agile, runs too high. Goes down instantly on contact. Has a nifty spin move. Not particularly good going down the middle kinda just runs forward without a lot of shiftiness or threat to break out. He's patient though so that's good. Definitely a plus blocker since they run a ton out of shotgun and have those designed QB runs that he gets out in front of. I can definitely forsee him sticking on a team and frustrating everyone with lovely runs while a better back on the roster sits because they cant block as well.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Love sat because they wanted to change his mechanics (and also because Rodgers started playing really well again). If there’s some specific mechanical thing that you want to fix then letting a guy sit makes sense because you just can’t do that when a guy is playing every week, they’re going to revert to old habits under pressure.

If you’re just sitting them for some nebulous reason like “they’ll learn by sitting and watching” then I think you’re hindering their development because the best way to learn is to play.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I don't think I watched a single game of Texas all year, but I keep getting distracted watching the film because what the hell is anyone doing on that defense. Why do you keep lining up Murphy as 0/1 tech and Sweat as a 3 tech? Why does Murphy leave his feat to jump a gap at the snap??? Yeah, he gets away with it sometimes but you are gonna end up on the ground in the NFL. What the hell are the linebackers doing ever?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Love sat because they wanted to change his mechanics (and also because Rodgers started playing really well again). If there’s some specific mechanical thing that you want to fix then letting a guy sit makes sense because you just can’t do that when a guy is playing every week, they’re going to revert to old habits under pressure.

To that point, Love was noticeably playing very stiffly at the beginning of the season (and preseason) and loosened up a lot as the season went on as he got more accustomed to playing with his revamped mechanics at NFL speed.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

SKULL.GIF posted:

To that point, Love was noticeably playing very stiffly at the beginning of the season (and preseason) and loosened up a lot as the season went on as he got more accustomed to playing with his revamped mechanics at NFL speed.

Love just needed snaps. So did the rest of the offense. But once that happened, everything started to click. Love’s footwork needed help (still does) but going forward, he’ll be great.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Love was garbage in college whatever he learned on the bench should be an indicator that sitting is fantastic for young QBs

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Doltos posted:

Love was garbage in college whatever he learned on the bench should be an indicator that sitting is fantastic for young QBs

2018 was insane.

Then in 2019, he lost all but one of his starting OLine, his two excellent RB's, all his WR's except one, his OC, and his HC.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

A Sneaker Broker posted:

2018 was insane.

Then in 2019, he lost all but one of his starting OLine, his two excellent RB's, all his WR's except one, his OC, and his HC.

That's true. I wonder what happened to Darwin Thompson.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Doltos posted:

That's true. I wonder what happened to Darwin Thompson.

He got drafted to the Chiefs. He couldn’t hold up in pass protection, fell to fourth string. Then he got cut. Made his way to the Seahawks. Still could not protect the rush for his life. He’s doing other things now.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

t's draft season.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

A Sneaker Broker posted:

t's draft season.

no! NO!!!!!!!

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I would like the Niners to draft offensive line and pretty much everywhere on defense but especially DBs, thanks

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Niners need safeties that understand the basic concept of inside-out play which is taught in HS but forgotten on the Super Bowl field, apparently.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Doltos posted:

Niners need safeties that understand the basic concept of inside-out play which is taught in HS but forgotten on the Super Bowl field, apparently.

Niners need a Tackle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Doltos posted:

Their best safety has been on IR all year, and the other good one is a rookie.