Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
There's a certain event (Hope disguising everyone in servant clothing in the House of Hope) that will strip everyone in the current party of their "casual" clothes but not their armor. I didn't realize what happened until I long rested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

roomtone posted:

i was surprised to see they give jaheira an old woman's body if you happen to switch all of her clothes off

i mean i know she's old, but i thought she was an elf, and her face looks like, 50-ish. they gave her a 60+ body.

i'm sure they did it for a reason. just something i'm gonna have to ponder.

leave her alone!

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

the game gives you the option to take everybody's clothes off

i'm uh, gonna take their clothes off

it's a game. stop acting like you didn't at some point.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 12, 2024

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

bird with big dick posted:

Why are you taking all her clothes off you sicko

also, because she's hot and i was curious?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
In all honesty, Jaheira's Bioware Romance in BG2 is weirder than taking a harmless peep in BG3.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

wizard2 posted:

In all honesty, Jaheira's Bioware Romance in BG2 is weirder than taking a harmless peep in BG3.

I'm doing my my first bg2 run and I'm already weirded out.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

wizard2 posted:

leave her alone!

i'm going to hack the game to allow me to romance jaheira and marry her and have like 200 elven children for 1000 years just because of this comment

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
theyre all weird as hell. Viconia's might be the least weird, unless you count maybe Rasaad?

I wouldnt doubt "Expresses knowledge of romantic questlines in Baldur's Gate 2" being a bannable offense somewhere

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

roomtone posted:

i'm going to hack the game to allow me to romance jaheira and marry her and have like 200 elven children for 1000 years just because of this comment

lol mazel tov

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

This thread is gonna end up worse than the mass effect threads.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Jaheira's a half-elf!!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It could be worse, they could have had Aerie have a cameo in BG3.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Can those that haven't played BG1 or 2 get a summary?

I've played KOTOR and Mass Effect so now I'm morbidly curious about how BioWare handled BG romance

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

I've played KOTOR and Mass Effect so now I'm morbidly curious about how BioWare handled BG romance

I'm currently running aerie, jaheria and viconia in my bg2 party and a timer goes off every once in a while for a "notice me senpai" romance dialogue or for a cat fight over my half elf PC inbetween banter.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 12, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Jaheira’s romance in BG2 is notoriously cursed because you find her husband brutally tortured and killed in the opening moments of the game, leaving her totally distraught, and can horn in on her almost immediately. It is a lot more drawn out than that but still, there’s something more wrong with you than the bearsex people if you do that.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

I'd love to see a game in the Greyhawk setting, and specifically putting the characters in the Old Kingdom, which is essentially "Nero's Rome" but if Nero was insane because his family had been controlled by devils for several generations.

It's a huge kingdom and it still sort of functions, mainly because in D&D Devils are lawful evil and lawful evil means there's at least enough societal stability that PCs are not constantly facing certain death.

I could see some really interesting quests - maybe you've been sent by the Duchy of Nyrond to find some minor princeling who was taken hostage on a hunting trip, and over the course of the game you learn about something else... While you investigate everything, you still have to be aware that the authorities are evil and depending on how you conduct your investigation they may start looking for you, adding some urgency to your investigation.

Throw some short adventures in as side quests and Bob's your uncle.

Edit: oh. BG2 romances, huh? K.

rojay fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 12, 2024

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

DarkHorse posted:

Aerie's baby inventory item.
Jaheira's creepy romance is bugged and can't be finished.
Viconia is racist towards elves and gnomes.
Imoen romance mod.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It was one of the first with a memorable romance system right?
Other than uhhh ultima?

rojay posted:

I'd love to see a game in the Greyhawk setting, and specifically putting the characters in the Old Kingdom, which is essentially "Nero's Rome" but if Nero was insane because his family had been controlled by devils for several generations.

It's a huge kingdom and it still sort of functions, mainly because in D&D Devils are lawful evil and lawful evil means there's at least enough societal stability that PCs are not constantly facing certain death.

I could see some really interesting quests - maybe you've been sent by the Duchy of Nyrond to find some minor princeling who was taken hostage on a hunting trip, and over the course of the game you learn about something else... While you investigate everything, you still have to be aware that the authorities are evil and depending on how you conduct your investigation they may start looking for you, adding some urgency to your investigation.

Throw some short adventures in as side quests and Bob's your uncle.

That sounds fantastic.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 12, 2024

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Lawman 0 posted:

It was one of the first with a memorable romance system right?
Other than uhhh ultima?

That sounds fantastic.

Just seems like that setting would lend itself to a more nuanced adventure that could accommodate "good" and "evil" characters without beating the player over the head with morality. And I think it would be cool to have a game where the "good" path is legitimately more challenging than the "gently caress y'all I'm getting mine" trope tht usually makes for an "evil" playthrough of CRPGs.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

In defense of BG2s writing, how many RPGs had really tackled inter-party romance before? I know a few jrpgs had romances, but were there any in western RPGs? That doesn’t excuse the writing per se, but they had to start somewhere. I’d have preferred they left Jaheira as a grieving widow and not a love interest, but this was the very beginning of one of the flagship features of all future BioWare games.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

chaosapiant posted:

In defense of BG2s writing, how many RPGs had really tackled inter-party romance before? I know a few jrpgs had romances, but were there any in western RPGs? That doesn’t excuse the writing per se, but they had to start somewhere. I’d have preferred they left Jaheira as a grieving widow and not a love interest, but this was the very beginning of one of the flagship features of all future BioWare games.

I think one of the gold box games had an extremely superficial romance with one of the party guest characters

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mr. Lobe posted:

I think one of the gold box games had an extremely superficial romance with one of the party guest characters

I have all of them in my GOG account and never played them. I keep meaning to but I never do. Baldurs Gate 1 was my first ever Dungeons and Dragons video game and, along with the other infinity engine games, it’s too high of a watermark to go backwards from.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

quote:

“It’s incredibly weird for anybody who knows me that I’ve become the romance guy,” David Gaider tells me. “I’m the least romantic guy. Especially when I get to the characters saying ‘I love you’ to each other…” Gaider mimes the sickliness of the scene and his own horrified response. “Apparently I did it so well on Baldur’s Gate II that James Ohlen kept handing me this stuff. And, god, I hated it so much.”

Not only was writing romances a relatively new thing, the writer really, really didn't want to do it :v:

e: ok, he only wrote 3 of the romances. Sounds like it was definitely a learning process though, Gaider also talks about going to fansites to ask people what they didn't like about the romances.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 12, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I had thought my one-word responses of PEGGING had fallen on deaf ears all those years ago, fortunately they were not lost on one young impressionable Swen Vincke.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

chaosapiant posted:

I have all of them in my GOG account and never played them. I keep meaning to but I never do. Baldurs Gate 1 was my first ever Dungeons and Dragons video game and, along with the other infinity engine games, it’s too high of a watermark to go backwards from.

I tried playing Curse of the Azure Bonds again a year or so ago and man those Gold Box games don't play well these days heh. They were masterpieces when I was a kid though

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Thundarr posted:

I kind of appreciate the overabundance of evil deities. Umberlee, Lolth, Loviatar, and Maglubiet are all evil, but your encounters with people who profess faith in them are non-hostile and sometimes even pretty chill (ex-Lolth worshippers who currently worship the Absolute notwithstanding). Mostly D&D gods are just really high powered high school drama that doesn't directly affect normal people much, except those times when a small number of assholes decide to get directly involved with mortal affairs and cause an Adventure to happen. Even most evil gods will generally leave you be if you stay in your lane and offer some token obeisance when circumstances dictate.

So I'm not big in to D&D and I just got to last light inn, but I gather gods are just normal people ascended? Maybe not exclusively, but I literally just got told that Vlaakith is consuming power of others to try to become a god. IIRC some of the flavor text on the loading screens flat out tells you that some of the gods were mortals that were given power by another god (Bhaal/etc.?). So wouldn't it make sense that there are an abundance of evil deities since they're frequently built off the backs of others, or achieved godhood through some exchange/betrayal to gain those powers?

I mean don't spoil me on stuff that happens later in the game, but this is an observation. I feel like it explains some of what y'all are talking about with regards to the gods not acting very god-like.

Speaking of just reaching the last light inn, any can't-miss gear from the merchants? I'm very bad at determining what makes for good gear. I often get bogged down in the "what does it do for me now" stats, and I have a hard time seeing bigger picture use. There's a ton of stuff in this game and it seems like often things are only marginally better than what I have, but stuff often has additional effects that are highly situational... there's just so much that it's hard for me to really put it all together.

Maybe a better question: all else equal, weapon enchantment +2 is better than weapon enchantment +1 right? Like I have an axe on Karlach that does 1d12+5 and adds 1d4 when your HP is less than 50%, it's weapon enchantment +1. I can buy an axe at last light inn that does 1d12+6 and has weapon enchantment +2. Would I be correct in saying the latter is better? I lose out on the bonus 1d4, but get more damage up front, and it's more enchanted.

Like, should I ever not buy a cloak? Just came across the first I've seen in the game here, and it looks useful, particularly considering I don't have to give anything up to use it (aside from a chunk of gold...).

Another question: should I just dump a bunch of gold in to transcribing spells for Gale? I got like a poo poo ton of scrolls and I don't think I've transcribed a single one. I could probably easily spend 4,000 gold on learning new spells right now. But lots of them are... things that I never bothered learning because I didn't see a use. I have a couple high level scrolls, and can buy some more at last light, so I dunno... seems like the high level stuff is worth transcribing so I can learn other high level stuff when I level up, yes?

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 12, 2024

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

DaveSauce posted:

So I'm not big in to D&D and I just got to last light inn, but I gather gods are just normal people ascended? Maybe not exclusively, but I literally just got told that Vlaakith is consuming power of others to try to become a god. IIRC some of the flavor text on the loading screens flat out tells you that some of the gods were mortals that were given power by another god (Bhaal/etc.?). So wouldn't it make sense that there are an abundance of evil deities since they're frequently built off the backs of others, or achieved godhood through some exchange/betrayal to gain those powers?

I know at least some of them are, but not all of them. I was huge into the books as a kid and one of the big trilogies was the Avatar trilogy, where all of the gods are cast out of their realms and forced to take a mortal avatar. At the end of that several of the characters ascend to godhood to replace ones that were killed in the mortal realms, several of which are referenced in the game (Kelemvor, Cyric)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

1. Generally speaking, weapon enchantments are always going to be superior to situational effects, unless the effect is something you can fabricate 100% of the time. You don't want to be under 50% HP most of the time, so that's worth letting go of for something that will increase your overall effectiveness.
2. What's essential from Last Light really depends on what your main party is like, but you'll almost always want the Cloak of Protection from the Harper vendor and the Haste Bow from Dammon. There are also a bunch of useful pieces to be found in and around the inn.
3. Gale won't get the really OP stuff to transcribe until Sorcerous Sundries in Act 3, but there's always good stuff to be found. Use your judgment here. If it's a scroll you've never seen before that looks good, have Gale learn it. If it's another Scroll of Fire Bolt, vendor.

It's hard but try to ignore the color coding on items as anything but a relative statement of its monetary value. An endgame set for many top builds in this game include green rarity pieces you can pick up as early as Level 3. Instead just equip gear based on how much the effects will benefit your class or synergize with your abilities, and learn through simple trial and experimentation. Act 2 in particular has a ton of pieces that are insanely valuable well through the end of the campaign. If you're a Light Cleric or Vengeance Paladin, basically 90% of your pickups can be found here.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Pick up the Yuan-ti scale mail if you got someone with high dex.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The important thing to remember with weapon enhancements is that the base enhancement (+1/2/3) is adding that point to damage and attack (your chance to hit) while bonus damage (an extra 1d4 fire damage, for example) is just bonus damage. Bonus damage is still good though because in many cases the game will treat that 1d4 fire damage or whatever as a different source of damage from the actual weapon hit, which is relevant for items or abilities that cause damage to happen whenever an enemy takes damage (the shriek effect from the phalar aluve sword for eg).

What gear is good often depends on your build but as a general rule to start with I would buy and keep around in your camp chest any item that adds or changes your stats; or adds damage to your attacks/damage output.

If it’s your first playthrough it might be worth just keeping anything that isn’t just a base +x item or something. It won’t affect your overall gold total that much to just hang onto that stuff.

You can always look at the list of items in the wiki to plan ahead if you want. You shouldn’t worry about running out of gold; you’ll end up with more than you need. Just make sure you do everything and explore everything.

As for scrolls, aside from a handful of spells that you can only get from scrolls (and all of these you’ll find during one quest line in act 3, and really only art of war is any good) you can basically learn enough spells via levelling up to cover the ones you need.

By the time you get to act 3, the list of useful wizard/sorc spells is basically:

Magic missile
Misty step (worth having on as many people as possible, but you’ll often get this as a racial or from an item; and late game many of your characters will have their own source of flight which makes it less useful)
Shield
Mage armour (only if you’re not a draconic sorcerer)
Scorching ray (useful for most of the game
But you’ll almost never use it after you learn art of war)
Fireball
Lightning bolt
Counterspell
Haste
Fly
Blight
Art of war
Chain lightning

feather fall/talk to animals/talk to the dead/longstrider/create water/remove curse are all super important; but you only need one person to have them and often it will be someone else in the party.

In the early game it’s worth having a couple of spells that can disable enemies, ideally with different stat saves; but you won’t need them later on as it becomes more efficient to just do more damage and kill things instead.

Things like arcane gate and other teleport effects have niche utility occasionally.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 12, 2024

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Numerical enhancement bonuses are pretty boring, but they're really important since actually hitting things is usually the first step in winning a fight. On some builds you have such a high attack bonus that you can get away with having a +1 instead of a +2 on your weapon in exchange for a really good secondary effect, and on some builds the enhancement doesn't even matter because your weapon is just there to provide a passive bonus while you attack via other means. But if you aren't sure, grabbing the thing with the highest bonus is a pretty safe move.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Anything that will convey advantage to you in circumstances where you wouldn’t normally have it is insanely good as well.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Yeah I think my biggest problem is not seeing big picture "builds" and synergies until it's too late or something. There's just so much stuff I can't keep it all in my head and go, "hey X and Y are both boring, but if I add them together I can do Z!" That and it just seems like everything, on paper at least, is kind of a "meh" improvement to what I have, so it's tough to justify dropping the money. I know over time the additional +1 damage or whatever adds up, but for whatever reason I always hesitate.

I currently have like 8k or so gold to my name, so spending 1.5k on a single piece is a tough sell for me, let alone several pieces in that price range. Maybe I'm a tightwad I guess! I'm always worried that I'll spend stuff on a marginal improvement, and the next area I get to I won't have enough gold to buy some big deal equipment or something.

But that said, I have a poo poo-ton of weapons and stuff I've found lying around I can trade for money, just need to schlep it back from camp. Lots of regular swords/bows and now a bunch of githyanki weapons.

The Lord Bude posted:

The important thing to remember with weapon enhancements is that the base enhancement (+1/2/3) is adding that point to damage and attack (your chance to hit) while bonus damage (an extra 1d4 fire damage, for example) is just bonus damage

OK I think this is what I was looking for, some confirmation of exactly what weapon enchantment does. I mean I thought this was it, based on the tool tips, but for some reason the explanation in the game wasn't really clicking with me. I think I still get attack roll and damage roll confused in my head.

The Lord Bude posted:

Scorching ray (useful for most of the game
But you’ll almost never use it after you learn art of war)

lol I still have Gale decked out in spark stuff, so I cast magic missile a lot, but I've been doing fireball and level 4 AOE spells more lately.

I learned scorching ray way back but for some reason I just don't use it often.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

They should’ve called thunder damage « sonic damage » or something, I’m real good at confusing thunder for lightning

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Jay Rust posted:

They should’ve called thunder damage « sonic damage » or something, I’m real good at confusing thunder for lightning

It's understandable, both are very very frightening.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

roomtone posted:

i was surprised to see they give jaheira an old woman's body if you happen to switch all of her clothes off

i mean i know she's old, but i thought she was an elf, and her face looks like, 50-ish. they gave her a 60+ body.

i'm sure they did it for a reason. just something i'm gonna have to ponder.

that’s just the standard githyanki body

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Jay Rust posted:

both types combined will be called sonichu damage

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Medullah posted:

It's understandable, both are very very frightening.

Galileo!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jaheira would be about 70 in human years. Those ASIs looking more like RSIs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Scorching Ray is great at low level because it hits very hard compared to other options you have early on and enemies are relatively easy to hit with it. It falls to the wayside as you get spells that do more damage, are harder for enemies to avoid, or both.

One example of gear to keep an eye out for is anything that says it extends your critical hit range. These stack with each other (and with class abilities that do the same) so your best bet is to jam as many as possible onto a single character. A fighter or rogue who only needs to roll a 14 or better to get a critical hit is a damage monster even if the rest of their kit is not optimal.