Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Z the IVth posted:

I think he might turn out to be Eisenhorn's new buddy.

ok that would be rad as gently caress and ive been racking my brain about that particular dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
What was the codeword he was operating on?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

lines posted:

What was the codeword he was operating on?

Initially Xenophon afaik, but I think Actae changed it. We're just not told to what.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Initially Xenophon afaik, but I think Actae changed it. We're just not told to what.

It was changed to Orpheus.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Huh I thought it was post-Iron Cage. The most I remember of the 1st Black Crusade was Sigismund fighting Abaddon

I think this is mostly because there isn't much written about everything between the Heresy and 999m40. There's the War of the Beast, but that's just one conflict, everything else is like the Heresy used to be, a single text blurb in a book somewhere. The first black crusade is only mildly touched on in the Black Legion books, while the Scouring is just "And then the Loyalists pushed all the Traitors into the eye, also Iron Cage incident."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Scouring would be a great way to show the Imperium changing over time because it really does feel like just a smattering of post-heresy conflicts and then endless Murder Theocracy. You could explore how the loss of the Primarchs over time strips away at the remaining qualities of Humanity's Golden Age. If the end of the Siege of Terra was the mortal wound then those 10,000 years don't have to be an instant turn to fanaticism but rather a long death over time as the checks and balances waste away or leave.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Arc Hammer posted:

The Scouring would be a great way to show the Imperium changing over time because it really does feel like just a smattering of post-heresy conflicts and then endless Murder Theocracy. You could explore how the loss of the Primarchs over time strips away at the remaining qualities of Humanity's Golden Age.

As I understand it, this is exactly what the War of the Beast series was supposed to be - the Imperium is still somewhat functional at the start, but when a giant crisis shows up it proves incapable of handling it and every radical measure (Beheading etc.) only makes things worse.

Unfortunately the books were (reportedly) poo poo, and GW isn't in the habit of just doing write-overs. So if they still want to do an enshittification storyline, they can either move it back to the Scouring, or ahead to the Goge Vandire era. I'd prefer the latter.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Reign of Blood/Age of Unbelief would be an amazing place to set some books.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Sebastian Thor and the Confederation of Light would sell more loving models than FW could produce.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

If like to see an Age Of Technology series, and a Warhammer 20,000 tabletop game and miniatures to go with it.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Unification Era is where it's at, all crazy hosed up troops and mutants and genetic experiments, with Thunder Warriors just another faction.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I want a Basiilo Fo faction.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Going to take the alternate tack and say I'd like to see more development in the M.42 era. Robert Rath has set up a bunch of story hooks for the assassins and the conqueror_wyrm virus, Mike Brooks has the Alpha Legion and the Orks, Chris Wraight could follow on from Watchers of the Throne, whole bunch of directions stories could go where the end isn't already known.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

habeasdorkus posted:

I want a Basiilo Fo faction.

Fo opens up an interstellar food chain called Basilio Pho's where he practices mad science on his recipes.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Kylaer posted:

Going to take the alternate tack and say I'd like to see more development in the M.42 era. Robert Rath has set up a bunch of story hooks for the assassins and the conqueror_wyrm virus, Mike Brooks has the Alpha Legion and the Orks, Chris Wraight could follow on from Watchers of the Throne, whole bunch of directions stories could go where the end isn't already known.

Just go whole hog: jump ahead to a bunch of possible M51s.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Just give me some, any, a morsel of votann fluff

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

bunnyofdoom posted:

Just give me some, any, a morsel of votann fluff

You get squat

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Roller Coast Guard posted:

If like to see an Age Of Technology series, and a Warhammer 20,000 tabletop game and miniatures to go with it.

That would be neat, but GW would never go for it. Not much profit in selling a setting where one side needs 3000 points per model to balance out how OP they are

But maybe if they leave Humanity out of it, or if it's Men of Iron vs. Men of Gold only. I mean, when Transformers can get away with just making new flavors of robots, why not Warhammer? :v:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Fo opens up an interstellar food chain called Basilio Pho's where he practices mad science on his recipes.

(For I have the perfect blend of herbs and spices)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Telsa Cola posted:

You get squat

Well played

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Warhammer: 2019

It’s about the political climate of the era and it ends up being the inciting incident that gets the Emperor to say “what the gently caress? Okay I need to step in” and start his unification campaign.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
thanks i hate it

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I am fine not knowing the details about the gap between now and the Unification Wars.

What I really want to know about is the 40k now as it feels like we are on the edge of a real jump in the story which is hopefully going to ramp up the satire a lot. They seem to be building towards a conflict between the religious and the rational which does speak to today.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I would also like to see more stuff from era indomitus, but I am also wary, because this is the same company that killed off the old world and replaced it with the incredibly boring age of sigmar setting

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i just want to know whats up with the king in yellow and the immaterial college.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

i just want to know whats up with the king in yellow and the immaterial college.

Nothing, that storyline concluded centuries before present-day M.42 storylines and left no impact.

I'm hoping Pandemonium will be an entertaining book, don't get me wrong, but I have absolutely no expectations that it's going to affect the setting. The Bequin trilogy is going to have the same impact on the broader universe as the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies, i.e. none.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Kylaer posted:

I have absolutely no expectations that it's going to affect the setting. The Bequin trilogy is going to have the same impact on the broader universe as the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies, i.e. none.
Tread softly, Kylaer, because you tread on our dreams.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

DirtyRobot posted:

for realsies. :mad:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

DirtyRobot posted:

Thought for the day: Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment :flashfact:

I think Abnett is a superb writer but whenever he sets the stakes so high, I know the outcome is going to be nothing, simply because in 40K the fiction follows the direction of the game, and the game hasn't gone in a direction that the Bequin books are pointing. Just like how there's no chance of Pontius Glaw recovering the barque of the daemon king and setting himself up as a new demigod.

Like, compare to Twice-Dead King, another superb recent work. The dynasty in that book is a bunch of nobodies, facing up against an equally irrelevant portion of the Indomitus Crusade. If the author had chosen, that story could have ended in pure tragedy, with the protagonist losing everything. The stakes being low in the grand scheme let them be higher in practice.

Kylaer fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 11, 2024

lines
Aug 18, 2013

To be fair, I think people's hopes have been raised by the links between the Bequin books and Abnett's siege stuff.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

lines posted:

To be fair, I think people's hopes have been raised by the links between the Bequin books and Abnett's siege stuff.

What if it's been delayed because they're about to release a new King in Yellow subfaction for Custodes.

Have them roll out of the warp to slap some Tyranids around after whatever happens in Pandemonium.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Kylaer posted:

Thought for the day: Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment :flashfact:

I think Abnett is a superb writer but whenever he sets the stakes so high, I know the outcome is going to be nothing, simply because in 40K the fiction follows the direction of the game, and the game hasn't gone in a direction that the Bequin books are pointing. Just like how there's no chance of Pontius Glaw recovering the barque of the daemon king and setting himself up as a new demigod.

Like, compare to Twice-Dead King, another superb recent work. The dynasty in that book is a bunch of nobodies, facing up against an equally irrelevant portion of the Indomitus Crusade. If the author had chosen, that story could have ended in pure tragedy, with the protagonist losing everything. The stakes being low in the grand scheme let them be higher in practice.

I agree with you on the principle (that a story which cannot affect the greater setting is free to be more dramatic and less bound by the status quo), but I think your example are pretty poor. A mere Chaos demigod could easily be added to the setting with no real consequences, Fabius Bile is one for example, they can be completely ignored by every storyline that doesn't specifically touch on their home turf. They're not much more impacful, in narrative terms, than greater demons, and those are a dime a dozen.

On the other side, TDK presents the Ithakas pharaoh as being the original identity (or one of the identities) of Valgul, Lord of the Bone Kingdom, and while it's a very minor faction in the lore, it is a unique one. Any future writer who wants to tell a story about the Flayed Ones will need to take the TDK duology into account; and vice versa, the use of that faction did mean Crowley had to respect some limits in his story, e.g. we knew he couldn't have had Oltyx find a cure for the Flayer Virus, or turn the Bone Kingdom into a major player.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Bohemian Nights posted:

I would also like to see more stuff from era indomitus, but I am also wary, because this is the same company that killed off the old world and replaced it with the incredibly boring age of sigmar setting

Only to later bring back the old world setting lmao

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

FPyat posted:

The only way to make it bearable would be to finally write a mostly violence-free Warhammer book. All politics, all personal fates, no war.

Hell, the Warhammer crime books are fucken sweet and there's plenty of violence in those ones. I can't wait for more to come out.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You can't cure the Flayer Curse because it is the spiteful final act of a dying god.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Unification Era is where it's at, all crazy hosed up troops and mutants and genetic experiments, with Thunder Warriors just another faction.

I also have a soft spot for the Age of Strife/Unification era, I think it comes from Thundarr the Barbarian being my favorite saturday morning cartoon growing up

Stuff like Tales of the Dying Earth always hits me pretty good

or the Prophet reboot comic

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

FWIW I remember seeing an interview with Abnett somewhere on youtube maybe a year or two ago, and he literally said that it would be awesome if he would be allowed to write Unification Era books with Thunder Warriors and poo poo.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

The start of Unification is gonna be Hokuto No Ken/ Fist of the North Star but with guns and psykers.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I wouldn't even want them to release a full range of minis for it, just a Thunder Warrior sprue or two, then a bunch of sprues full of random bits with a note attached saying "go fuckin nuts"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I think it would be perfect for it's own game like necromunda or kill team