Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s short for a modern Yakuza game, but tbh i found it refreshing that I could do nearly all the substories, the colosseum side story, and fight Amon in under forty hours. They should do Gaiden games more often imho, but maybe charge $45 for the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

My favourite civ achievement was a 1 city challenge in civ5.
In that mode, any city you capture gets instantly raised, including capital cities.
I won a conquest game and turned the world into a postapocalyptic wasteland of ruins and roving barbarians and my one city standing above it all.

I unlocked "give peace a chance" because I was playing as Gandhi.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
https://twitter.com/johntv/status/1756699362997186793

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dead Space Remake:

That terribly gored fella in the corner is still alive and gets up to give you a warning when you reboot the computer. But if you look very closely before touching anything, can see him breathing and trying to talk to you. He even closes his eyes like other characters if you shine the light/Isaac's helmet at him.

https://i.imgur.com/9icnmZg.mp4

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 05:37 on Feb 12, 2024

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

That nerd’s entire substory was peak.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Parent-Teacher Student Meeting fits the TMNT theme.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’ve seen two mascot characters in Like A Dragon 8 that I’m pretty sure are voiced by Teddie from Persona 4, which is just kinda funny.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

It’s short for a modern Yakuza game, but tbh i found it refreshing that I could do nearly all the substories, the colosseum side story, and fight Amon in under forty hours. They should do Gaiden games more often imho, but maybe charge $45 for the next one.

i got it on sale for about that much so yeah, the value feels right. I’m just greedy and want more.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora is mostly just Far Cry: Avatar but the inclusion of an immersive mode helps to alleviate the cluttered feel of other Ubisoft titles. Instead of being shuttled between objective markers on a map littered with pointers for collectibles it will only give you vague hints about which areas you should be exploring to progress and requires you to come across hidden areas organically. Pandora is one of the most stunning environments in any game so it's good that they found a way to encourage more engagement with it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ms Adequate posted:

Okay but why, are they afraid that people will keep buying the game and it'll contribute to a slight uptick in their sales too?

Because then they may want to renew the license, and have to pay you more.

If they don't? No big deal, you still got paid the first time.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I like how the ship that exfiltrates you in Helldivers will actually provide covering fire and shoot at things when its landing. So many games where a helicopter or what have you will just land and do nothing while you get swarmed.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Phantom Pain is the GOAT for that. Gunship can do some damage

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

I like how the ship that exfiltrates you in Helldivers will actually provide covering fire and shoot at things when its landing. So many games where a helicopter or what have you will just land and do nothing while you get swarmed.

It can also murder you! This is a favorite thing

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

pequod is a loving wrecking ball and, on pc, being able to drop custom mp3s into the installation folder for it to blare out is a great thing

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Nothing like coming in hot with the Police Squad! theme blaring alongside a police siren to make your enemies quake in fear

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i was a fan of the minor key version of ymca

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

In the first game, this happened way more often than not. So often that i'm pretty sure it wasn't a coincidence. I always giggled like an idiot hehehe

Content: I'm playing Infinite Wealth and everything in the game would belong here, but I'm going to choose one specific plot point by the end of chapter 4: Ichiban being dumb IS a plot point that actually works to his advantage

I love this series.

A Haunted Pug has a new favorite as of 08:53 on Feb 15, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Preface, I love him for this. You know how some people are not book smart, but street smart? The best way I could describe him is Ichiban is street dumb

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Gaius Marius posted:

Phantom Pain is the GOAT for that. Gunship can do some damage

A single burst from its machine gun could cut a man in half.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
calling the gunship in and it plays a custom .wav that says "GOBLINS ILL LIKE FIRE" as it shreds a fort to ribbons

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's very funny to get to the end of the tutorial for Helldivers 2 and there's a space EULA right before you get your cape.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Philippe posted:

AAA SSSIIINNNGGGLLLEEE BBBUUURRRSSSTTT FFFRRROOOMMM IIITTTSSS MMMAAACCCHHHIIINNNEEE GGGUUUNNN CCCOOOUUULLLDDD CCCUUUTTT AAA MMMAAANNN IIINNN HHHAAALLLFFF

God bless reflex mode

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora is mostly just Far Cry: Avatar but the inclusion of an immersive mode helps to alleviate the cluttered feel of other Ubisoft titles. Instead of being shuttled between objective markers on a map littered with pointers for collectibles it will only give you vague hints about which areas you should be exploring to progress and requires you to come across hidden areas organically. Pandora is one of the most stunning environments in any game so it's good that they found a way to encourage more engagement with it.
Holy poo poo they finally lifted that idea from Breakpoint?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
The Screed RPG trilogy had it too! It's the best idea they ever had.

It doesn't super work in FoP, because the terrain is too vague for it to function.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Code Vein has awesome, subtle AI quirks that make it very player-friendly. You've got a rotating cast of One Piece Straw Hat Gang friends who all carry different gear and spells, but all have a special one you get too since the game's multiplayer: You can share exact amounts of your HP to their health bar, and they can do it back 1 for 1. If one of you is in danger, send HP to the other one instantly! The AI uses this in brilliant ways to save you from the brink in any way that it can. If both of you have a tiny sliver left of health, your buddy will use their healing spell on themselves instead of you to give themselves enough HP to share with you. If you share HP with them and they don't need it, they'll give it right back OR use their healing spell on you. I have not seen AI this overtly designed to be helpful since being passed the pills in Left 4 Dead.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 10:32 on Feb 15, 2024

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

sounds like a shared health pool with extra steps

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That is what it is, and the extra steps make it so much cooler than any game with that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CJacobs posted:

Preface, I love him for this. You know how some people are not book smart, but street smart? The best way I could describe him is Ichiban is street dumb

Ichiban is kinda something like Luffy levels of 'excellent social intelligence, rock stupid in almost everything else'. That said, in 7 I remember him having quite a few moments of cunning and logic that surprise and impress people, and he does well with the business management. And one of his signature stats is Intelligence, in some ways he might be one of the most intellectual Yakuza protagonists.

I think the trick is that he's also extremely passionate, impulsive and sentimental, as well as being canonically a little unhinged, so he's prone to making hilariously dumb snap decisions.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

much like majima, he's exceptionally sharp when he wants to be. however, while majima channels his energies into being insane and stabbing people, ichiban channels his into being friendly, and hitting people with a baseball bat.

ichiban has a number of "actually quite smart" moments in 8 as well

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

I'm pretty sure if anything in Helldivers didn't kill you then something went seriously wrong in development.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The dialogue in the Helldivers 2 tutorial is a masterpiece.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ZeusCannon posted:

Everything in helldivers can murder you. I'm working on a lifetime achievement for crushing my teammates when I come in on a hellpod. "Whoops, thought you were a bug" I say as I take their guns, then throw their beacon as far away as possible, usually at a bug.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Everything in helldivers can murder you. I'm working on a lifetime achievement for crushing my teammates when I come in on a hellpod. "Whoops, thought you were a bug" I say as I take their guns, then throw their beacon as far away as possible, usually at a bug.

Here, take this drone, says my friend.

I pick it up, the drone activates, flies in front of me, turns 180 to point at a bug behind me, and immediately cuts me in half with a laser in an attempt to kill it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I put down a minefield and then attempted to run through it to get away from bugs.

Also robot Vietnam is quite a bit rougher than going into bug territory.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Croccers posted:

Holy poo poo they finally lifted that idea from Breakpoint?

Been playing this with a friend (90% off on the xbone store :whatup: ) and having a ton of fun acting as navigator for our dumb duo. If real special forces is anything like this game it's almost too easy

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Morpheus posted:

Here, take this drone, says my friend.

I pick it up, the drone activates, flies in front of me, turns 180 to point at a bug behind me, and immediately cuts me in half with a laser in an attempt to kill it.

... what the heck is Helldivers? A "murder your friends" simulator?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Randalor posted:

Ideally, no, since if you murder your friends then it's just you vs a giant bug that's about to cut you apart. Also there are five of the bugs. And they have a friend that's three times as large, armored, and quite fast.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Randalor posted:

Basically a game version of the scene in Starship Troopers where they first land on bug planet and all the troops get slaughtered

haveblue has a new favorite as of 18:07 on Feb 16, 2024

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Sounds like it has some EDF vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU