Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
doesnt he have another child to try and puppet into politics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/DailyMailCeleb/status/1756548702590706032

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Cream pants with a blue jacket? Yeah dump him for sure.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Cream pants with a blue jacket? Yeah dump him for sure.

look at his european carryall

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
The pair sat down for a much-talked-about interview with Good Weekend magazine last July, in which Bond, now a Sky News Australia presenter, said he had 'a thing for older women' and the first thought he had when he met Waterland was 'you're hot'.

At the time, Bond was 20 and Waterland was 33, and 'we found ourselves in a hotel room and didn't leave for five days. We just clicked.'

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
he called her mummy

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's called Public Transport. You know the thing that you do a short hop to then use to get to your destination that already exists to varying degrees?

In Canada you can ride to a bus top, put your bike on the front of the bus - they have bike racks on the front! - and then ride the bus to close to your destination, then hop off and do the last km on bike? It's really cool and so so so less loving stupid than dedicated ferries for bikes when you can already take a bike on a ferry to the very few destinations where that is actually useful. Here's one for free, bike racks on buses

Did you know planners have got this scheme of funneling last km cyclists and pedestrians onto Metro rather than cars? Planners actually ARE working towards car free travel or minimalised car use with a intergrated plan, when the Metro opens to Sydenham it's going to absolutly rule for the north west / north to ride to the bicycle storage racks at a station (accessed with your Opal card) or be able to take your bike on the easy access high frequency service to your destination last km commute.

How much does the metro cost per mile to build? How tricky is it? What kind of coverage does the network have? How many people live within 500 meters of it, and what about the vast majority of people who don't? What hours is it operational? What about nurses and hospitality workers who finish work after 9 pm? gently caress 'em? What about a vibrant night life? What's the cost of the trains themselves? How are they powered? Does it offer genuine freedom or is reliant on an intricate system functioning flawlessly? How often are they interrupted by track-work or industrial action? What impact does that have on the rest of the network? Are we ever going to have to mess around with bus replacement services? How is it going to go in the event of climate catastrophe, nuclear winter, or zombie apocalypse? Does it do anything for public health and fitness? Can pedestrians relax on George St or Church st without having to worry about getting murdered by 30 odd tonnes of light rail?

Public transport is great, and a vital part of any mass-mobility system. We can and must have Active Transport too. The government wants a big cycle network, they acknowledge the need for it, and are searching for a solution.

You're talking about billions of dollars and years of highly disruptive and complicated construction, for a single line or two, that only runs at certain times, which people have to get to and wait for and hope is working, to go to a limited selection of places, most of which already have a train station, and you're giving me a hard time for something that goes everywhere, any time, which we can have for pocket change, in a matter of months.

edit - while we're here, may as well add that I'm also now proposing a sky-way up Market st, from Pyrmont Bridge to Hyde Park. Saves seven road crossings and is a key central connecting node for the network. The Pyrmont bridge connection needs to be done one way or another, and a skyway is relatively easy. Making those 500 meters seamless would make a massive difference. If you stick to the ground then you're always going to have conflict with intersecting traffic. There's always going to have to be one way stopped, so the other way can go. This way they can both flow freely forever. So the CBD close-up looks like this:

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 12, 2024

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

downer gave a speech to a neo-nazi group in 1987 lol

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Over 20 years ago, the Australian Liberal/National Party Federal Opposition had a set of policies with which it hoped to persuade the Australian people to return it to government in the election due in 1996. This particular collection of proposed initiatives was called "The things that matter". When the then leader of the opposition, Alexander Downer (later Australia's Foreign Minister 1996-2007 and now Australian High Commissioner in London), launched the Opposition's policy on family violence (the Coalition parties, like their Labor opponents, were and are against it in principle), his introductory line was: "From the things that matter to the things that batter". Not long afterwards he lost his job as Opposition Leader, his engagement with what was and is a serious and troubling issue having been deemed too glib by half by the shapers of public opinion.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

"From the things that matter to the things that batter".

this should have been used for good old aussie fish and chips, not good old aussie domestic violence. fucken hell

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Bucky, people won’t ride when it’s wet or super smoky checkmate active transportailures

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

downmonger

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Recoome posted:

people won’t ride when it’s wet

https://x.com/westcountrytim/status/1755615509079613852?s=20

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Amethyst posted:

This idiot was a minister in John Howard's Cabinet.

What I'm sure your point will be what I am about to write, reminder Howard was seriously loving racist for anyone else. Real loving rich Downer screaming racism when the govt he was part of did the Children Overboard scare

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Fondly remembering that Micallef sketch spoofing ABC’s “The Howard Years” with “The Downer Months”

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

What I'm sure your point will be what I am about to write, reminder Howard was seriously loving racist for anyone else. Real loving rich Downer screaming racism when the govt he was part of did the Children Overboard scare
And gave One Nation a free pass. They aren't considered Racist because nobody (in the LNP) called them that ever.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

What did the Greens do, (specifically), that made Downer so cross with them this time?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

What did the Greens do, (specifically), that made Downer so cross with them this time?

Refused to uncritically kiss Israel's rear end and dared suggest they might be doing genocide.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Isnt London a shitzone though

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

webmeister posted:

Fondly remembering that Micallef sketch spoofing ABC’s “The Howard Years” with “The Downer Months”
"The Liberal Party under the nominal leadership of Alexander Downer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxAEll95Sgw

Enough with the bike path posting. It's not going anywhere.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Anidav posted:

Isnt London a shitzone though

And it rarely really rains like it does in Australian cities. It's nearly always like it is in that video Bucky shared which is not "pouring rain" but "quite pleasant drizzle on your face if you get hot while you ride".

Bucky, active transportation will gain way more people if it is to cover off the last km on an electric bike to a train or a bus that whizzes them 16 km each morning to work. Electric bikes should hopefully really drive up metro usage as the "last km" public transport has always been a huge gap in Aus.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I reckon escooters will attract more people cos you can easily get them on a train and just hop on and off them and fracture your skull and break your wrists. They're the first share vehicle scheme I've seen catch on in Melbourne.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
what if we use busses to connect the missing links in the cycle path network?

or maybe a train?

drones are everywhere these days so using those to carry cyclists over roads is basically free right?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Spookydonut posted:

what if we use busses to connect the missing links in the cycle path network?

or maybe a train?

drones are everywhere these days so using those to carry cyclists over roads is basically free right?
Pfft! Amateur! Monorail to the Node. Nuclear powered so it's literally free.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
a monorail just for bikes, you load up your bike and it gets to the requested bike path in 20 minutes

you have to take a 3 hour bus ride though

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The pair sat down for a much-talked-about interview with Good Weekend magazine last July, in which Bond, now a Sky News Australia presenter, said he had 'a thing for older women' and the first thought he had when he met Waterland was 'you're hot'.

At the time, Bond was 20 and Waterland was 33, and 'we found ourselves in a hotel room and didn't leave for five days. We just clicked.'

Non Compos Mentis posted:

he called her mummy

"wot, me mummy"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The greens should probably have an all members and staff zoom sesh where they explain that accusing Jews of infiltration and manipulation of civic life via their tentacles is probably a PR fail.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
sounds like a nsw greens problem, couldn't happen in a real state.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

JBP posted:

The greens should probably have an all members and staff zoom sesh where they explain that accusing Jews of infiltration and manipulation of civic life via their tentacles is probably a PR fail.

Israel is committing genocide.

Also Israel openly admits they manipulate the media and just recently the Guardian did a big piece on how CNN runs all their Israel genocide articles by their Jerusalem branch before release, and how they had a strict style guideline that required anything about Gaza to emphasise how evil Hamas is.

If Jews don't want to be associated with the extremely real global manipulation of the media that Israel is openly engaged in, maybe they should start distancing themselves from Israel.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Bucky Fullminster posted:

I'm not going to quote the text

I lost braincells reading that rightwing style anti public transport vomit. Just stop.

(Yes spend billions on Metros and more rail and buses. Best solution for late night shiftworker going home. Spend as much as possible on actual solutions that work. I like cars but gently caress cars for commuting, Public Transport with bike last kms is by far the best)

Also a RAISED pathway that will increase the already steepish incline on Market St for cycling let alone all the other reasons it wont happen you just cant be serious. This has to be a long form troll I cant even try to entertain some sort of legit reply

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

This has to be a long form troll I cant even try to entertain some sort of legit reply

counter point: bucky flag.jpeg

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

He’s ignored a dozen posters telling him to stop, and the multiple probes from mods itt telling him to shut up.

lmao what makes you think this request will be any different?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

HazCat posted:

Also Israel openly admits they manipulate the media and just recently the Guardian did a big piece on how CNN runs all their Israel genocide articles by their Jerusalem branch before release, and how they had a strict style guideline that required anything about Gaza to emphasise how evil Hamas is.

If Jews don't want to be associated with the extremely real global manipulation of the media that Israel is openly engaged in, maybe they should start distancing themselves from Israel.

There are a huge number of Jewish people who distance themselves from the actions of Israel. There were Rabbi's protesting against Israels actions at the UN.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/oct/19/jewish-protest-israel-gaza-washington-dc

If you think all Jewish people are aligned with Israel you are very much buying Israel's propaganda.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

HazCat posted:

If Muslims don't want to be associated with terror attacks, maybe they should start distancing themselves from the groups that perpetrate them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

HazCat posted:

:chloe:

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Israel intentionally conflates Zionism with Judaism, explicitly to create situations like this where someone criticizing Israel for manipulating the media as part of their plan to commit genocide gets criticized for antisemitism.

Anti-Zionism is not anti-semitism, criticizing Israel is not anti-semitism, and if someone conflated Jews with Israel as Zionist Israel intentionally encourages people to do, the correct course of action is to correct the conflation, not call the person condemning Israel an anti-semite.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

e: gently caress

an egg fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Feb 12, 2024

HazCat
May 4, 2009

hooman posted:

If you think all Jewish people are aligned with Israel you are very much buying Israel's propaganda.

Nowhere did I say I think that about all Jews. Every Jew who condemns Israel is a loving hero, especially those in Israel where they face extreme prejudice for doing so.

All Jewish people should be doing it, because Zionists are intentionally stoking anti-semitism because anti-semitism is good for Zionism.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

HazCat posted:

Nowhere did I say I think that about all Jews. Every Jew who condemns Israel is a loving hero, especially those in Israel where they face extreme prejudice for doing so.

All Jewish people should be doing it, because Zionists are intentionally stoking anti-semitism because anti-semitism is good for Zionism.

you did however say that if Jews don't want to be associated with controlling the media they need to prove it by disavowing their loyalty to Israel, which is antisemitic in quite a few ways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Breakfast Burrito posted:

you did however say that if Jews don't want to be associated with controlling the media they need to prove it by disavowing their loyalty to Israel, which is antisemitic in quite a few ways

If they support Israel, they support Israel's actions, which do in fact include controlling the media.

This is not anti-semitism. If Jews do not want to be associated with Israel and Israel's actions they do actually need to denounce Israel.

I'm not walking around assuming every Jew supports Israel. And like I said, if someone says 'Jews' when they mean 'Zionists', they should be corrected (and correctly labelled an anti-semite if they clarify that no they do actually mean 'Jews').

But this bullshit of trying to tar someone for being an anti-semite for criticizing things Israel is actually openly doing while Israel is currently, today, slaughtering innocent civilians in the process of genocide, can absolutely get hosed.