Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Strong Sauce posted:

finally a real reason to hate harlock.

Besides being a weird racist who cites The Bell Curve and regularly fluffs Elon Musk's balls, you mean?

Wait, that's Hadlock. Sorry Harlock, you did not deserve to be mistaken for Hadlock and I sincerely apologize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Yeah wanting Shanahan to be fired is absolutely insane and stupid. I'm not always a fan of his playcalling but the 49ers are highly unlikely to find someone better.

Run the ball more in the 3rd quarter, yes even against 8 man fronts (or call some screens) would help. But it was sloppy or unlucky plays that did the 49ers in: CMC fumble, Greenlaw injury and the muffed punt were too much.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Probed for Dark Brandon's sins :911:

[rolling into the chat thread monday morning like nothing happened voice] dang man just got in and tickets are already piling up in jira lol. thinking i'll get some korean bbq for lunch, maybe play some shmups after work tonight. and heck? three day weekend comin up baby :cheers:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Besides being a weird racist who cites The Bell Curve and regularly fluffs Elon Musk's balls, you mean?

Wait, that's Hadlock. Sorry Harlock, you did not deserve to be mistaken for Hadlock and I sincerely apologize.

oh yeah i meant hadlock but also it was a joke about that.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
If KC winning leads to a Trump presidency again, every KC fan needs to stop supporting their team lol.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It was a tough call which schadenfreude I would enjoy more, but in the end I'm glad it was the Niners that lost.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

OGS-Remix posted:

If KC winning leads to a Trump presidency again, every KC fan needs to stop supporting their team lol.

FYI: Every KC fan is a Trump supporter, so this is like giving them a Win-Win, lol

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

OGS-Remix posted:

KC won then trump lost though?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Papercut posted:

On the bright side I still really like Ji'Ayir Brown

Big same. He outperformed expectations for a rookie safety by a country mile. Losing Hufonga created a very real depth problem in our secondary; it put Oliver and Gipson on the field in important moments far too often for my tastes. By December there's a good chance that an uninjured Hufonga and rising star Brown are our starting safeties, and that means Brown is where Gipson was, and Gipson is where Oliver was in key moments in big losses. Next season, we're going to be much better at safety all season.

I'd like to say this next bit only once. Brock Purdy outperformed expectations by a good margin. He didn't turn it over, he made some big plays under pressure, and he also made some bad plays under pressure. KC has an elite defense, Purdy did well.

Niners game ball to Jennings.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

KC won then trump lost though?

not legitimately

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Oh yeah, I need to remove the again. I'll take no Trump presidency over a Super Bowl win. Big picture I guess. :smith:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

OGS-Remix posted:

Oh yeah, I need to remove the again. I'll take no Trump presidency over a Super Bowl win. Big picture I guess. :smith:

The country is rapidly falling to poo poo and civil war regardless; people might as well enjoy the moments that bring them a little happiness, like Cubs 2016.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Canned Sunshine posted:

The country is rapidly falling to poo poo and civil war regardless; people might as well enjoy the moments that bring them a little happiness, like Cubs 2016.

:hmmyes:

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I think there's blame to go around on specific plays/decisions but really IMO it was a boring ol' lost it in the trenches kind of thing. For about three quarters the o-line was just disintegrating immediately. The Niners probably win with a favorable bounce or two, they probably don't need a favorable bounce or two if Chris Jones isn't eating their lunch.

Anyway,

I found this a really stressful season for some reason, the most anxious I've been about sports fandom since the Mavs title run probably (don't ask how Niners + Mavs happened, it just did), and don't even get the drat title at the end. poo poo.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

MakaVillian posted:

Yeah wanting Shanahan to be fired is absolutely insane and stupid. I'm not always a fan of his playcalling but the 49ers are highly unlikely to find someone better.

Run the ball more in the 3rd quarter, yes even against 8 man fronts (or call some screens) would help. But it was sloppy or unlucky plays that did the 49ers in: CMC fumble, Greenlaw injury and the muffed punt were too much.

honestly just the punt not hitting that dude's ankle and the Niners probably win in regulation. Football is rough

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

that was an intense football game, edge of my seat the whole game, and I'm sad that my 49ers lost but so it goes, the chiefs played just a bit better at the end and their guys weren't hurt and that was enough

moody was legitimately clutch, the blocked extra point was due to a bad snap that the holder had to jerk down really fast and moody performed on three FGs with the game on his shoulders and that's not drat bad given his experience level

I voted for jauan jennings for mvp when voting opened up in the 3rd quarter, i know he wouldn't win but he deserves votes, standout performance in a game where the starting WRs were getting locked down all game and he was just blasting dudes with blocks on top of his key catches

you can tell shanny was not happy with the defensive calling, he even used a timeout on a critical down in the 2nd half to basically overrule the lovely defensive formation he saw out there that was gonna get the ball straight to hardman with nobody anywhere near him for coverage and hmm turns out that happened again later in the game didn't it

I thought the officiating was just OK, some good calls but also they actually stole a couple first downs from the chiefs and also missed a fair bit of holding on both sides so I dunno, it didn't feel like "the fix was in" (lol) but I could ask for better for sure

the halftime show was pretty solid

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

DeimosRising posted:

honestly just the punt not hitting that dude's ankle and the Niners probably win in regulation. Football is rough

Honestly I was unenthusiastically rooting against the Niners but that really was the deciding moment in the game.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Coldforge posted:

Chiefs fumbled seven times and recovered it six times. There was a freak muffed punt that gave the Chiefs a free TD. Dre Greenlaw went down from being too hype, Trent Williams killed two drives in the first quarter, and Deebo and Kittle were out for stretches of the game.

The 49ers did not lose because a rookie kicker was perfect except for a low extra point attempt that cost the team 1 point.

DeimosRising posted:

I need a version of that gif where the Superbowl XLVIII trophy goes over Peyton Manning's head and into the end zone, but for this game with the muffed punt ball as the trophy.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I think if the muffed punt hadn’t happened something else would have. God abhors a vacuum and now that to Patriots are dead the Chiefs have risen to take their place as the team that is simply destined to win it all, more often than not.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think if the muffed punt hadn’t happened something else would have. God abhors a vacuum and now that to Patriots are dead the Chiefs have risen to take their place as the team that is simply destined to win it all, more often than not.

*in the weakest, most sorrowful voice imaginable* This.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DeimosRising posted:

There's a reason the ball is a funny shape, and this is it. This time it went against the Niners.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

When a game is super close, there will be tons of plays that could have decided the outcome either way. That's the nature of football. We tend to focus on the last ones because that's when the drama reaches its peak, but even plays on the opening drive mattered because the game came down to a tie in regular time and a close as hell OT too.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Coldforge posted:

Chiefs fumbled seven times and recovered it six times. There was a freak muffed punt that gave the Chiefs a free TD. Dre Greenlaw went down from being too hype, Trent Williams killed two drives in the first quarter, and Deebo and Kittle were out for stretches of the game.

The 49ers did not lose because a rookie kicker was perfect except for a low extra point attempt that cost the team 1 point.

I mean you can say the 49ers should have done more but literally the 49ers did lose because their kicker missed an extra point. It would have changed how they played that last series.

He is just very inconsistent. It is obvious he has the legs to be a kicker but hitting 50+ yarders while whiffing on the easier kicks is really not a good thing. Especially when he hadn't really missed an easy kick _all_ year. Should he be replaced? No. At least not yet. But he definitely has a weird yips factor. Having 2 kicks block in consecutive games... hell in the same playoff year seems like something is wrong. Either the line (which seemed to be fine), the holder (also didn't see issue) or the kicker (he did kick it but maybe something caused him to kick it low) is doing something that causes that. I don't think I've seen back-to-back blocks of a kicker in a row in a while. It just doesn't seem to happen.

But yeah on that note. There were probably other things that could have given the Niners a big enough cushion where it wouldn't have mattered. But I do believe once you get to that point, missing that FG basically allowed the Chiefs a lot of leeway on that last drive since a FG would have had no value. Sure Mahomes could've thrown a touchdown on that drive regardless but letting them relax a little knowing they didn't need a TD definitely helped them there.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Strong Sauce posted:

I mean you can say the 49ers should have done more but literally the 49ers did lose because their kicker missed an extra point. It would have changed how they played that last series.

The Chiefs would have played their last drive differently if they’d needed a TD and could very well have just won it in regulation. Moody making that kick doesn’t turn it into a guaranteed win.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Chiefs would have played their last drive differently if they’d needed a TD and could very well have just won it in regulation. Moody making that kick doesn’t turn it into a guaranteed win.

Honestly, with how easily the Chiefs were marching down the field, they'd probably have been more aggressive and gotten the TD, yeah. They obviously tried to an extent, but knowing they just needed a FG to tie for OT meant they also didn't want to take any risks at not getting the FG, as you obviously know.

I think the 49ers D was just too gassed at that point to really be effective and it was the Chiefs game to lose at that point.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

rjmccall posted:

Getting a touchdown there doesn’t end the game. You should listen to the announcers.

What? A touchdown in overtime 100% ends the game

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

feller posted:

No, the new overtime rules in the playoffs are such that each team is guaranteed a possession. If the 49ers scored a TD, the Chiefs would have gotten the ball anyway with a chance to tie (or win with a two-point conversion).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

feller posted:

Not in the playoffs now. Regardless of whether the first score is a TD or FG, the other team gets a chance to tie.

Somec
Jul 15, 2006

feller posted:

e;fb

hi thread

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I never said it did. Scoring TDs is harder than just getting into FG range. And basically giving them a freeroll to score a TD to win with the fallback of going into overtime with a field goal... is not good.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Well the nick cast didn't adequately cover that imo

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Man this sucks, it's so tough to get close again but to fall short. I'm really bummed, and loving wish the niners could get poo poo to go their way. Not sure why we're a team that gets Kyle Williams-d or special teams screwed.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

I never said it did. Scoring TDs is harder than just getting into FG range. And basically giving them a freeroll to score a TD to win with the fallback of going into overtime with a field goal... is not good.

You said the 49ers literally lost because of the missed PAT.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

YOLOsubmarine posted:

You said the 49ers literally lost because of the missed PAT.

Fair. Didn't know it would sound that way but I guess my follow up post is what I meant. Guarding against a TD to win would have been a lot easier to deal with than letting them freeroll the tie. (obv niners d could have stopped them or their kicker misses the FG) but that one point was difference was pretty big at the end.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 12, 2024

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I'm into my cups so don't want to laugh too much at Niners. I fled the entire internet till Opening Day for baseball and TFF until August as the trauma of the Superbowl Interception cause me to not continence seeing any football dialogue. So what I'm saying is that this was the best outcome for me for this super bowl my old age and sentiment has cause me to feel sympathy to Niners bros on this forum what have I become?

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The take from some niners fans that Shanahan is a bad play caller and that the Niners should have run it more in the third quarter (into extremely stacked boxes)… Wowie zowie.

Shanahan did a great job. The game was lost on defense and special teams.

Coldforge is right, if the niners get a better DC and some improvements to the OL, they are going to be a in a good spot for 2024. Assuming Trent Williams is healthy and powerful for another year.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

The take from some niners fans that Shanahan is a bad play caller and that the Niners should have run it more in the third quarter (into extremely stacked boxes)… Wowie zowie.

Shanahan did a great job. The game was lost on defense and special teams.

Coldforge is right, if the niners get a better DC and some improvements to the OL, they are going to be a in a good spot for 2024. Assuming Trent Williams is healthy and powerful for another year.

as far as i can tell that stuff is mostly not coming from niners fans, but people who were casually rooting against the chiefs and want to have a little fun riling up actual fans. at least here

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Waltzing Along posted:

Doesn't matter. Shanahan has proven he can't win the big one. Who cares if someone else snaps him up. Then they can lose super bowls, too.

There are other coaches. You just have to find the right one. Keep Lynch, though.

afcn thread is that way, kawa

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I don't really have a problem with Shanahan's playcalling in terms of run/pass balance but I think you could argue he should've worked in a couple of RB screens or something to A) get CMC some space and B) give the rush something to think about. During that mid-game offensive lull, it seemed like first down plays were limited to either a hopeless run into traffic or a play action pass where the line had melted before Purdy could even finish the play fake. And then it'd be like 2nd & 18 and 3rd & 11 and poo poo and there are no good options, especially against a really good DB group. That said, "run until they start stacking boxes and setup some PA shots" was basically what I was hoping to see so there's a lotta hindsight to this complaint. If McKivitz even exists as a physical, material presence between Chris Jones and the QB a few times, they probably hit a couple and win.

Not running at the two minute warning is arguable but I don't mind it, the Chiefs got in FG range in like a minute anyway and getting a first down was the only way to make sure Mahomes doesn't get any kind of shot.

Kicking a FG in OT I think is fine, taking the ball is not. I'm not sure why they did that unless they literally just didn't know the playoff rule (which tbf I'd forgotten about until the broadcast said it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Dutchy posted:

Kicking a FG in OT I think is fine, taking the ball is not. I'm not sure why they did that unless they literally just didn't know the playoff rule (which tbf I'd forgotten about until the broadcast said it).

The defense was pretty clearly gassed and had just come off the field after giving up a long drive, giving them some time to rest makes sense.