Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

My big question is how Toriumi/Maya represents the Hermit. Like, Fox in P4 has you helping around people with the fox so you act like a support, and Futaba involves helping her get out of her trauma-induced shell and helping her reach her goals. But Toriumi... I guess you let her vent on you and be her online pal so she can open herself up more and do a bit of introspection?

hermit's about introspection away from obligations/societal demands, which fits with toriumi using her avatar to vent about her job. eventually she's able to identify her unhealthy habits and patterns of thinking and retires from the game to face her responsibilities with new clarity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel bad for downplaying Kenji earlier in this thread. Having a crush on a teacher as a teen isn't a big deal, but this guy is loudly being delusional about being in a relationship with her in a way that (IIRC) ends up having professional consequences for her. Granted, it's not clear if the teacher may have been fully aware of Kenji's advances (since Toriumi talks about her like she's someone who might enjoy the attention), but the guy's still an rear end in a top hat.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

My big question is how Toriumi/Maya represents the Hermit. Like, Fox in P4 has you helping around people with the fox so you act like a support, and Futaba involves helping her get out of her trauma-induced shell and helping her reach her goals. But Toriumi... I guess you let her vent on you and be her online pal so she can open herself up more and do a bit of introspection?

She's isolated in real life and uses the MMO to escape, but through playing with the MC realizes it's a crutch and she needs to find a healthier way to deal with her problems than venting to strangers online.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

meanwhile at atlus

https://x.com/Altus_West/status/1756754126044549519?s=20

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think something that gets missed in discussion about Social Links is that, at least in P3, the answer that gives the most points is not inherently the right answer, either from an in-world perspective or from your personal perspective. It is the answer that makes the person you're talking to happier to hear but like a lot of games with those kinds of social elements there's a difference between picking the right choice for mechanical benefits and picking the choices you want. Like this is pretty explicit because what people want to hear changes as things go on.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I forget, are there specific social links you have to max to get the real ending or whatever? Or was that only a thing in 4 and 5.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

no

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I like hosed up choices because I'm playing persona, not therapist simulator

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The only choices I remember being really annoying in P3P is one of Rio's where you tell her to just loving stop pining and just ask out the boy and she gets confused and the conversation ends, because she's not supposed to figure it out until like two links later. Like at least have FeMC press her on it and her getting annoyed or something!

also one time Fuuka pulled me aside and told me she heard rumors that I was cheating on my boyfriend, and I was confused what she meant, because the only male link I was advancing at the time was Ken's. This was the wrong choice because she said she was very disappointed with me. what the gently caress is wrong with you, Fuuka

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sydin posted:

Wait to you hear about what I plan to do to that kid who smoked a cig in the bathroom

Hidetoshi don't you fill me up with your rules
Cuz everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The only choices I remember being really annoying in P3P is one of Rio's where you tell her to just loving stop pining and just ask out the boy and she gets confused and the conversation ends, because she's not supposed to figure it out until like two links later. Like at least have FeMC press her on it and her getting annoyed or something!

also one time Fuuka pulled me aside and told me she heard rumors that I was cheating on my boyfriend, and I was confused what she meant, because the only male link I was advancing at the time was Ken's. This was the wrong choice because she said she was very disappointed with me. what the gently caress is wrong with you, Fuuka

Wow didn't know Fuuka was a AkiKotone shipper

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

that link is really funny because he is obsessed with this cigarette for like a year

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hes found the single drug in all of japan

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lol, I just did the Floor 54 boss with Mitsuru in the party, and that boss opens by raising ailment susceptibility for every combatant... so I had her Marin Karin one of the boss's helper Gigases, which proceeded to punch the other enemies to death. Much more useful than it ever was in FES.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Once again in a (optional sunday so I don't blame people for missing it) scene Kaz says like "okay be real with me do you think I can actually win the big meet with my knee like this?" and the correct answer is "It's impossible." and he actually gets mad if you choose the "That's up to you" option.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The fact that everyone is arguing about the S-Link means that it's a good S-Link IMO

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Stopped tonight at the beach vacation. Not really sure how to feel about Theurgy spells so far. P3 was never a particularly difficult game and they just make it easier. They all look cool at least.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

On merciless they've been pretty vital to winning a few boss fights for me so far. I could imagine they make normal a joke though lol.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I don’t have the time or the inclination to make a game difficult to progress through these days so I welcome baby mode and the new battle options like shift and limit break. I’m not here to lose progress and retry a boss I just wanna live my best life

Power to the people playing on merciless or whatever but it ain’t me

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This (and P5) is one of the very rare situations where I play on a higher difficulty. Not sure why, but it just makes stuff like fusion feel more rewarding when I feel like I actually "need" the benefits from it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i don't mind harder turn-based rpg's but i never increase the difficulty on them, i just like the big numbers

speaking of big numbers, i'm now at the point where i'm dropping six figures on fusions. just filling my bag with major deities. still annoyed that byakko is locked behind koromaru's hangouts, since kohryu is one of my favorite personas, but so it goes

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What's everyone's favorite -sona?

Mine's Kikuri-hime, love her big ear-pad things

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

uhhhhhhh mothman i guess

e: no wait hell biker, no wait trumpeter, no wai

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

In terms of bespoke Persona designs though I think the best one Soejima has ever made is probably Kaguya

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Arist posted:

uhhhhhhh mothman i guess

I looooove Mothman and he almost never comes with the skills I want so he's always immediately benched and registered.

--

P3 midgame-maybe endgame gets ridic with the free skill card duplication at the shrine. Why yes I do want Crit Amp, Crit Boost, Apt Pupil, (Phys Type) Amp, (Phys Type) Boost, Single Target Boost, Multi Target Boost, Single Target (Phys Type) and Multi Target (Phys Type) on one Persona, thanks. Number go up. Still don't have Amp cards appear yet but hey I have accesse to them now with some creative fusing; thank you Fusion Calculator.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Stopped tonight at the beach vacation. Not really sure how to feel about Theurgy spells so far. P3 was never a particularly difficult game and they just make it easier. They all look cool at least.

Merciless should have disabled them. Difficulty is a joke. Merciless is basically normal mode now.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dpulex posted:

Merciless should have disabled them. Difficulty is a joke. Merciless is basically normal mode now.

You know you can just not use them right?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ytlaya posted:

Persona 2's take on prometheus really stuck with me.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Dpulex posted:

merciless even with them is very obviously harder than the originals. but all persona games are easy regardless anyway so who cares.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

merciless p3r is the first persona to make me actually have to load a save from a little bit back to beat a boss tho bcos i had been skipping encounters in tartarus in the run up to the love hotel and the boss caved my head in for it lol

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Siegfried but only because I accident him into being good. Mine now has crit boost, crit amp, slash amp, auto-crit buff, death bound and brave blade and he clears most fights with one deathbound unless they're slash immune. He's like 80 with 90 strength or whatever and enough agi to go first.

Mothman comes in second because of the juxtaposition of his silly facial expression and his little phrase being WHO AM I slapped over it in the persona selection screen.

Also don't sleep on software because uhh your sneak attack ambush gets , shall we say, really good.

Now that I'm nearing the end it's very funny to cross the devil major arcana card and a dark level because it works on Twilight shard destructibles.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Guys. GUYS. The Shuffle Time Major Arcana that lets you choose another reward can stack

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Artelier posted:

Guys. GUYS. The Shuffle Time Major Arcana that lets you choose another reward can stack

It sure can.
It sure can

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

jpn v/o supremacy

https://files.catbox.moe/hxjdlb.mp4

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Stux posted:

merciless p3r is the first persona to make me actually have to load a save from a little bit back to beat a boss tho bcos i had been skipping encounters in tartarus in the run up to the love hotel and the boss caved my head in for it lol

That's pretty cool if true, since all the full moon bosses in the old versions would keel over if you just looked at them funny
Though the love hotel one was a minor exception if you were unlucky enough for the MC to get charmed, since you couldn't tell anyone else to cure him.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i was underlevelled so even tho i could cure charms i ran out of items before i took its hp down, i came back w lamia and a few more levels on everyone and it was fine then. i had been completely avoiding all fights for a while in tartarus so it was entirelty self inflicted

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Theurgies are pretty ridiculous. Had a much easier time with the second half of Arqa block's minibosses thanks to them. Fuuka's new stuff is also really good - having a full party full buff this early in the game is pretty silly.

Arist posted:

In terms of bespoke Persona designs though I think the best one Soejima has ever made is probably Kaguya

Kaguya owns, she's my second favorite design

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

oracle is extremely busted now because it's purely positive and you can reliably trigger the SP restore effect by just doing it when you have full health and low sp. the sp economy has been cracked in half and the absence of the fatigue system means that the only reason i have to leave tartarus now is because i can no longer maintain the will to keep grinding money

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

idk she just keeps buffing me. i basically only get the sp one when i dont even need/want it at like half sp after ive used some items and have nearly finished a block lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Oxxidation posted:

upright moon is associated with delusion, deception and poor life choices, so its link characters tend to be a lot to deal with

some of the most volatile, too. nozomi breaks on you mid-link, ebihara's the most turbulent romance option (in that she's the only one you can screw up by jumping into things too fast) and mishima starts to distort before you drag him back to his senses

Shinjiro wasn't really that bad of a link, though.

Although I guess 'poor life choices' fits the bill for him??