Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mad about the bird
I know it's stupid to be
mad about the bird
I'm ashamed of it, but must admit
the sleepless nights
I've had about the bird

BonHair posted:

It's far eastern Dane actually.

Also no one outside of USA cares about who is and isn't a Yankee. If you're from the area between Canada and Mexico, you're a Yankee, and that includes Alaska and Hawaii.

A yankee is someone who eats pie for breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Tei posted:

I guess the word is yankees

I love calling texans yankees

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I get what you are going for but in real life, I was brought up calling myself US or US-american and especially now living in a country where nearly nobody speaks english or spanish, I try to make it clear

And yet everyone calls me amyerikanskiy or amerikandyq. I was american in Canada. I was américain in France. I’m the only motherfucker who cares. It’s almost as if everyone knows context.

E: hate to hand it to opposite America but the best word is seppo

Seppo is a common finnish male name so this always weirds me out. Makes me think of a guy in his 50s or 60s wearing blue coveralls.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

seppo is short for septic tank, which is rhyming slang for yank, short for yankee, so calling a southerner a seppo is an instant two hit combo, or it would be if they understood it at all.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

His Divine Shadow posted:

I love calling texans yankees

Obviously call everybody south of Maryland and east of Oakland Johnny Reb

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Byzantine posted:

if you want to start a fight

the yankees are gonna start a fight whatever you call them so might as well have fun until then

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The correct term for a non-anglo new worlder is 'Spanish'

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah...I think it's standard practice almost everywhere to refer to people from the United States as 'Americans'. Apologies to everyone else from the Americas. I do usually say 'United States' rather than 'America', and this is reasonably common where I live.

It depends on the context. At least for me, it is always:

"What country are you from?" - the US (in French I usually say États-Unis instead of the abbreviation*)
"What nationality are you?" Or "what passports do you have" - American (in every language)

Saying "what country are you from?” And saying "America" does sound very slightly off to me, not ambiguous but just equally weird to as if one said "the United States of America". For "what nationality are you" I don’t see any other possible response except American. I’ve literally never heard someone say United Statesian or États-Unian or whatever, although when I fill out dropdown menus to select nationality, it’s probably 95% United States vs 5% American.

*even speaking French, the US abbreviation is always "US” or les USA since EU / EEUU would be confusing as gently caress. In defense of Turkey, I don’t think anyone ever refers to the US using anything other than US, i.e. I don’t think it’s ever translated into the local words’ acronym letters. It’s also "you-ess" instead of "ooh-ehs" but if I say USA then it’s often "ooh-ehs-ahh" instead of "you-ess-ayyy".

Saladman fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Feb 12, 2024

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

uessaʔ

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

That's interesting, we do actually use the acronym VS (for Verenigde Staten), no one would ever say US or USA in Dutch where I live. But as you say, we couldn't possibly confuse VS for anything other than the United States, which is probably why we do it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hm, our native acronym for the US would be the SS, which is a good complement to Amerikkka.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Important Eastern-European map

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Saladman posted:

Saying "what country are you from?” And saying "America" does sound very slightly off to me, not ambiguous but just equally weird to as if one said "the United States of America". For "what nationality are you" I don’t see any other possible response except American. I’ve literally never heard someone say United Statesian or États-Unian or whatever, although when I fill out dropdown menus to select nationality, it’s probably 95% United States vs 5% American.

*even speaking French, the US abbreviation is always "US” or les USA since EU / EEUU would be confusing as gently caress. In defense of Turkey, I don’t think anyone ever refers to the US using anything other than US, i.e. I don’t think it’s ever translated into the local words’ acronym letters. It’s also "you-ess" instead of "ooh-ehs" but if I say USA then it’s often "ooh-ehs-ahh" instead of "you-ess-ayyy".

I've read "États-Unien" in written press from time to time here in Québec, but it was very specific usage.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ras Het posted:

Using endonyms instead of widely known exonyms can be pretentious and a bit offensive too. Many Persian speakers don't like foreigners calling their language Farsi, because it's a recent practice that erodes the connection to historical Persian culture. And in Finland calling Estonia Eesti instead of Viro has been considered kowtowing to Soviet practice or something like that.

Sounds stupid considering https://et.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eesti. I can imagine the people who "have considered" that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tei posted:

What is the name of the citizens of USA?, they call themselves "americans", but thats the name of the continent. It would be like chinese where calling themselves "Asians".

Yank or Yankee. Or just English.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I just want to applaud everyone for this speed run of the usual Euro vs North American pedantic debate, and especially Tei for his usual top-tier posting. Good hustle everyone.

Now, can we please get back to debating what a sandwich is?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Every American is a sandwich

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

FreudianSlippers posted:

Every American is a sandwich

Piece of meat between two layers. Checks out.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

MeinPanzer posted:

I just want to applaud everyone for this speed run of the usual Euro vs North American pedantic debate, and especially Tei for his usual top-tier posting. Good hustle everyone.

A miserable little pile of condiments.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

MeinPanzer posted:

Really it all comes down to plate tectonics

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Antigravitas posted:

A miserable little pile of

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

sebzilla posted:

Really it all comes down to plate tectonics

If your sandwich's plates affect tectonics, please consider reducing the portion size.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

OddObserver posted:

If your sandwich's plates affect tectonics, please consider reducing the portion size.

Again Americans are being unfairly targeted in this thread

e: sorry I meant to say 'US people'

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Friends of Jan Kees.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
But for a non-snarky response from a Canadian who has lived all over the place, including the US, and who now lives in the UK:

People from the USA are Americans, people from North America are North Americans, and people from South America are South Americans. There is no singular term for all people from North and South America, other than maybe something awkward like "people from the Americas."

Also, no non-elderly native English speaker uses "Yank" or "Seppo" except ironically.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Regardless of the above, you absolutely must call Elon Musk a soutpiel.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh I can't read.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Phlegmish posted:

Again Americans are being unfairly targeted in this thread

e: sorry I meant to say 'US people'

Better with the IRS terminology abroad, "US persons."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I thought it was WE.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Usain Bolt

USian Bolt

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Please don't post Ron DeSantis fanart.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Usain Bolt

USian Bolt

lol

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

USian Bolt is black, armed and alive. That seems unrealistic?

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

BonHair posted:

Also no one outside of USA cares about who is and isn't a Yankee. If you're from the area between Canada and Mexico, you're a Yankee, and that includes Alaska and Hawaii.

Yes, and also everyone outaide of America cares intensely about the USA

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

Not Hawaii, because we support Hawaiian independence.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That one irks me

I get changing the official name for places on the receiving end of colonialism, but Türkiye, sorry you’re like it Olaf Scholz came out and insisted I say Deutschland. Except even dumber bc like 1% of anglophones even know how to type the tréma, let alone how to pronounce Türkiye differently from the bird

It's an umlaut though, not a trema.

e: and I don't mind, but then I speak a more civilised language that actually has [y] as a phoneme.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Pope Hylaryus II posted:

e: and I don't mind, but then I speak a more cyvylysed language that actually has [y] as a phoneme.

Strong name/avatar/post energy here

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Debating whether to call the country Tyrkiet or Kalkun (the Danish name for the bird).

Fun fact: in a specific Danish sociolect associated with middle eastern immigrants, Tjekkiet (Czechia) and Tyrkiet (Rome) are pronounced the same. No one ever talks about Czechia though, so it doesn't matter.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I’m celibate Belarus

Pope Hilarius II posted:

It's an umlaut though, not a trema.

e: and I don't mind, but then I speak a more civilised language that actually has [y] as a phoneme.

I speak a turkic language day-to-day and it’s not an umlaut or a tréma really, but it’s really cool to speak dutch too

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’m celibate Belarus

Actual lol @ the hamster in Germany

What's the red one?