Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Eh, contrition ain't much but is something. You are right about excuses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

DancingShade posted:

I'd actually far rather any people who did anything anywhere anytime just go "Yep I did it, I'd do it again! So what?" rather than fumble through some shame based excuses. Better to wear that pin on your chest and be judged as yourself.

Don't think the Nazis who immigrated to Canada had to do any denying.

Also the scandal of Australian soldiers who cut Afghanistan civilians throats, nobody had to go to jail for it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

Also the scandal of Australian soldiers who cut Afghanistan civilians throats, nobody had to go to jail for it.

Regarding Australia I believe the whisteblower was themselves prosecuted.

https://www.hrlc.org.au/whistleblowers-on-trial-richard-boyle-and-david-mcbride

This isn't a country where you speak against the powers that be. It's very foolish / dangerous.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

stephenthinkpad posted:

wrong, one person has been told to expect jail time

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The mistake is assuming most people are in fact not actually perfectly fine with any manner of brutality / murder, so long as they can maintain their primacy equivalent lifestyle.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Those throatcutters are going to immigrate to Israel and write pound memoirs in their 80s.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

tazjin posted:

Russian news are saying that more US money for Ukraine seems to be moving forward, so maybe it's not over yet.

The Ukraine Proxy War and Israel Genocide bill is slowly moving towards a vote in the Senate, after which is still has to pass the House. I think it will probably pass the Senate but the House is more of a crap shoot.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
We have approved a million gazillion dollars to all of those things. Now off to the war shop!

(bat signal transition)

(door creaks open to reveal empty shelves)

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

DancingShade posted:

The mistake is assuming most people are in fact not actually perfectly fine with any manner of brutality / murder, so long as they can maintain their primacy equivalent lifestyle.

Yup. The treats must flow.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Regarde Aduck posted:

it's about time we stopped pretending its bad to take Poles into the woods and then brutally murder them

huh

Weka
May 5, 2019

OK, I agree, Putin is autistic.

quote:

Russia made a 30-km defensive line crafted from 2,100 railroad cars

By Alexey Lenkov on February 11, 2024

An imposing defensive barrier, stretching 30 kilometers and constructed with over two thousand railroad cars, has been erected by the Russians. This fascinating piece of information is provided by the analytic group, DeepState. This unbroken fortification follows along a railway track, originating from the station in Olenivka and extending to Volnovakha, employing around 2,100 diverse wagon types. 

https://bulgarianmilitary.com/amp/2024/02/11/russia-made-a-30-km-defensive-line-crafted-from-2100-railroad-cars/

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Makes sense. The best lego kits from the 80s were the trains. Lots of regular blocks you could re-use for anything else.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Weka posted:

This fascinating piece of information is provided by the analytic group, DeepState

NAFO rear end war.

fizziester
Dec 21, 2023

Source: Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/11/ukraine-outgunned-and-exhausted-what-hope-if-us-military-aid-dries-up

Outgunned and exhausted: what hope for Ukraine if US military aid dries up?
Dan Sabbagh
Defence and security correspondent
Sun 11 Feb 2024 09.39 GMT

... Ukraine is once again being outgunned in this near two-year-old war: the current estimate is that Russia is firing 10,000 artillery shells a day to Ukraine’s 2,000, a dismal ratio that may yet worsen in the absence of future US gifts of ammunition...

... Ukraine nevertheless badly needs more troops to reinforce its exhausted and depleted frontline forces...

... “I think the war will be with us for at least another year,” said Cranny-Evans, “and the situation need not be catastrophic if European allies fill the void left by the US. Europe’s economy is still far larger than Russia’s.”

Source: BBC

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68255490

Exhausted Ukraine struggles to find new men for front line
Published 3 hours ago

... But almost two years into Russia's full-scale invasion, there's no flood of volunteers to the front line anymore.

Most of those who wanted to fight are either dead, injured or still stuck at the front waiting to be relieved by new recruits....

... When I ask Pavlo (a conscription officer) whether he's lost friends in the fighting, he admits that there's "almost no one left" from his entire company.

"The only ones left are [injured] like me. The others are dead."

Source: Pravda Ukrainska

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2024/02/11/7441367/

Recently dismissed Joint Forces Commander says he found out about his dismissal from news headlines
ROMAN PETRENKO — SUNDAY, 11 FEBRUARY 2024, 14:15

Serhii Naiev, Commander of the Joint Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, has indicated that he learned about the presidential decree on his dismissal from the mass media on 11 February...

... Background: On 11 February, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy dismissed Naiev from the post of commander of the Joint Forces.

He appointed Yurii Sodol in his place.

fizziester has issued a correction as of 10:55 on Feb 12, 2024

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fizziester posted:

Source: Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/11/ukraine-outgunned-and-exhausted-what-hope-if-us-military-aid-dries-up

Outgunned and exhausted: what hope for Ukraine if US military aid dries up?
Dan Sabbagh
Defence and security correspondent
Sun 11 Feb 2024 09.39 GMT

... Ukraine is once again being outgunned in this near two-year-old war: the current estimate is that Russia is firing 10,000 artillery shells a day to Ukraine’s 2,000, a dismal ratio that may yet worsen in the absence of future US gifts of ammunition...

... Ukraine nevertheless badly needs more troops to reinforce its exhausted and depleted frontline forces...

... “I think the war will be with us for at least another year,” said Cranny-Evans, “and the situation need not be catastrophic if European allies fill the void left by the US. Europe’s economy is still far larger than Russia’s.”

Source: BBC

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68255490

Exhausted Ukraine struggles to find new men for front line
Published 3 hours ago

... But almost two years into Russia's full-scale invasion, there's no flood of volunteers to the front line anymore.

Most of those who wanted to fight are either dead, injured or still stuck at the front waiting to be relieved by new recruits....

... When I ask Pavlo (a conscription officer) whether he's lost friends in the fighting, he admits that there's "almost no one left" from his entire company.

"The only ones left are [injured] like me. The others are dead."

Turns page to see a snoopy cartoon with "F16" written on the side of the dog kennel.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
The Western media now morosely reporting on how all the volunteers they helped hype up to go to war are now dead, is some sick poo poo

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Regarde Aduck posted:

The Western media now morosely reporting on how all the volunteers they helped hype up to go to war are now dead, is some sick poo poo

A failure of management by the media propaganda people. They should just initiate radio silence hey look over there, some celebrity lady spotted in a new dress and you won't belive how she looks while jingling some car keys.

Ukraine? Never heard of it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Also, I wonder how even 2,000 to 10,000 is the minimum ratio because it is known that North Korea is sending at least 300,000 shells/rockets a month (300,000/30 = 10,000). I mean, either way we can say with certainty that the result is gruesome.

There are growing signs of more active resistance against recruiters as well; the mood at the front supposedly is becoming actively hostile to those in charge. The Kiev government isn't on the brink of collapse, but you can see there are clearly fault lines already set and the only path forward is harsher and more expansive conscription bills.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Also, I wonder how even 2,000 to 10,000 is the minimum ratio because it is known that North Korea is sending at least 300,000 shells/rockets a month (300,000/30 = 10,000). I mean, either way we can say with certainty that the result is gruesome.

Do we know this? Anyway Russia may also be refilling stockpiles, no idea how low their reserves got before the Korean deliveries started.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

Do we know this? Anyway Russia may also be refilling stockpiles, no idea how low their reserves got before the Korean deliveries started.

It is a number the Western media can't deny because they reported it as such so based on their own internal logic it must be so. In reality, the number of shells the Ukrainians may be firing could be even less or the Russians even more but they are also discounting the fact that the Russians have upped their own shell production. The Russians may be acquiring 20,000-30,000 shells a day, but they very well may not be targets for them.

It is why the casualty rates are also only getting more lopsided because the Russians have all the shells they need now and the Ukrainians have run out.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Regarde Aduck posted:

It isn’t as easy as bombing Afghan hospitals or shooting Iraqi children

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Ardennes posted:

It is a number the Western media can't deny because they reported it as such so based on their own internal logic it must be so. In reality, the number of shells the Ukrainians may be firing could be even less or the Russians even more but they are also discounting the fact that the Russians have upped their own shell production. The Russians may be acquiring 20,000-30,000 shells a day, but they very well may not be targets for them.

It is why the casualty rates are also only getting more lopsided because the Russians have all the shells they need now and the Ukrainians have run out.
russia prolly stocking up for an offensive in spring

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

FirstnameLastname posted:

russia prolly stocking up for an offensive in spring

Yeah, and/or simply having reserves on hand to deal with NATO intervention. We know they have been taking a huge amount of artillery out of storage, and so it makes sense you would have something to fire from it.

If the Russians moved though it would be at such a time and in such force that the result wouldn't be in question. They haven't waited this long to bite some pieces here and there of Ukraine, and honestly the Ukrainians are openly admitting how bad their manpower/equipment issues are at this point.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

The increasing frankness of the assessment in Ukraine on the part of the western media is interesting

First they said the Russian state was going to collapse back when Bojo torpedoed the peace talks

Then they said that the stalemate leading up to the offensive was Ukraine winning

Then the failure of the offensive was also Ukraine winning

Now that they are arguing that the war is in a stalemate, it makes me think that maybe the situation is worse than that?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/cryptokubrology/status/1755756784814342463?t=HDwxP_cwBlBAOGi-tQGOGA&s=19

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the western reporters are tell us it’s over through bits of their reporting which the more political editors don’t change yes .

you often see them for example putting in quotes at the end of stories that are very enlightening once you get past the paragraphs and headlines saying otherwise

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/RT_com/status/1757011676950560909?s=20

quote:

During a meeting with officials, President Vladimr Putin addressed the current agenda on the Russian economy. Putin has noted that the country’s GDP is growing steadily, with numbers for the last year being higher than initially expected

Read more: https://on.rt.com/cp11

The president has urged the government to maintain a balance between pursuing economic development and price stability

Economic activity in Russia at the beginning of the year remains strong, according to President Vladimir Putin, who said on Monday that the situation is in line with the expectations of the government.

While addressing a government meeting on economic issues, the president pointed to strong consumer demand, calling it extremely important to maintain a balance between pursuing economic development and price stability.

“Strong consumer demand remains – approximately the same as in the fourth quarter of last year. And it is very important that this has a positive effect on the mood and plans of domestic business,” he said.

According to the president, increasing the incomes of Russians and improving the quality of life in the country remain a priority for the authorities. “Our main task, our absolute priority, is to increase incomes and the quality of life of citizens, the well-being of Russian families,” the head of state said.

We are now entering the final stage of work on a plan of socio-economic actions for the next six years,” Putin added.

According to Putin, the federal budget deficit in January 2024 was 1.3 trillion rubles less ($14.2 billion) than in 2023, amounting to $3.3 billion. “This is a serious indicator,” he said.

The president instructed the government to pay particular attention to containing inflation and praised the actions of the central bank in the fight against rising prices. “At the end of January, it [inflation] amounted to 7.2% in annual terms, but, of course, we know that at the end of last year, consumer prices increased by 7.4%. Well, there has been a decrease in inflation,” Putin said.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

Egg Moron posted:

The increasing frankness of the assessment in Ukraine on the part of the western media is interesting

First they said the Russian state was going to collapse back when Bojo torpedoed the peace talks

Then they said that the stalemate leading up to the offensive was Ukraine winning

Now that they are arguing that the war is in a stalemate, it makes me think that maybe the situation is worse than that?

I feel like they're just getting on board with abandoning ukraine and moving the focus to israel and taiwan.

I don't think the media has a lot of people who think materialistically about any of this stuff, I'm sure they all legitimately thought that the Russian state was going to collapse because it couldn't handle resistance from it's dipshit neighbor with the poorest economy in europe and I'm sure they've all been doing the liberal ideological discipline of convincing themselves that Ukraine was winning this whole time because that's what they were supposed to believe.

I wouldn't use western media as an indicator of much more than where the empire's current ideological focus is going to be, in either a positive or oppositional way.

That said I really do hope that Ukraine is getting ready to collapse soon and end this stupid war, but I honestly feel like the complacent liberal population is going to allow itself to be subject to at least one more wave of death for no gain whatsoever before they actually start giving a poo poo.

Flournival Dixon has issued a correction as of 13:38 on Feb 12, 2024

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

Flournival Dixon posted:

That said I really do hope that Ukraine is getting ready to collapse soon and end this stupid war, but I honestly feel like the complacent liberal population is going to allow itself to be subject to at least one more wave of death for no gain whatsoever before they actually start giving a poo poo.

I guess I reread what I just typed and don't know if i even believe it, I guess it depends on if the government starts leaning on the people in Kiev or if they manage to round up enough people from elsewhere. How easy is it for people outside Kiev to escape to Russia? Is it naive of me to assume that anyone who was going to probably already has?

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

January 6 Survivor posted:

yhabba dhaba dhaba.ru

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Flournival Dixon posted:

I feel like they're just getting on board with abandoning ukraine and moving the focus to israel and taiwan.

I don't think the media has a lot of people who think materialistically about any of this stuff, I'm sure they all legitimately thought that the Russian state was going to collapse because it couldn't handle resistance from it's dipshit neighbor with the poorest economy in europe and I'm sure they've all been doing the liberal ideological discipline of convincing themselves that Ukraine was winning this whole time because that's what they were supposed to believe.

I wouldn't use western media as an indicator of much more than where the empire's current ideological focus is going to be, in either a positive or oppositional way.

Well, the complacent liberal population in Ukraine are the people with money, they are the ones who bought their way out of conscription and are going out every Saturday night. The issue becomes when the working class starts fighting back (and there are signs of this) and there are less and less bodies to stabilize the front along with the mass dysfunction that has been happening as far as recruiting goes, they are trying to put the punishments as time goes on but at a certain point everyone is going to make up their mind and the Ukrainian state doesn't have the resources to oppress everyone especially if the police become quasi-neutral.

The issue is how the war actually ends because the nature of modern warfare just heavily favors the defender and even a rag-tag Ukrainian force in the field can still offer resistance or at least slow an advance and make it painful. It is probably why the Russians are going to continue to pulverize any resistance on the front until there is almost no resistance left and that is still going to take a while.

(Also, the people in Kiev have the money to bribe their way out of things push goes to shove, and the commissars aren't pay enough to ignore them. Even if they did, support for the war would absolutely evaporate if people with money have to actually sacrifice themselves.)

-----

Also, it is probably pretty difficult for men without money to get to Russia at this point (or pensioners) so there are certainly people who are trapped. There are certainly "patriots" left in Ukraine, but it seems like they are also the people in interviews that are constantly saying the government should offer more incentives for "someone else" to fight.

Basically, the dudes who lived up to their words are dead/wounded/on the front line still, and then there are bunch of dudes who are very supportive of the war as long as nothing changes for them personally.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 13:50 on Feb 12, 2024

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

oct 7ths putins birthday

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

Ardennes posted:

The issue is how the war actually ends because the nature of modern warfare just heavily favors the defender and even a rag-tag Ukrainian force in the field can still offer resistance or at least slow an advance and make it painful. It is probably why the Russians are going to continue to pulverize any resistance on the front until there is almost no resistance left and that is still going to take a while.

I feel like the war goes until the government surrenders or collapses (then the new government surrenders), Russia won't have to march to Kiev to end the thing. They'll keep throwing bodies at the front until the state fails. Since the current government will never surrender they'll have to be overthrown by the military or the people at some point.

I don't think Russia will ever have any need to end the thing in a hurry, medium pressure and slow slow advances should do them just fine, especially considering how bad it looks to the people paying billions of dollars for dozens of artillery shells when the colours on the map change in the wrong direction.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Egg Moron posted:

The current situation appears to be that Ukraine is able to maintain a defense over most of the frontline, but only barely - it's in fact taking all of their resources just to hold on. Even the proposed mobilization is more about staying in the fight for longer rather than building up a force for another major offensive.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

We were told Russia was collapsing because McDonalds pulled out.

Stalemate is an interesting choice of word. Correct in that the front has been and will be static for months, but given that Russia has annexed four oblasts from Ukraine in the east and isn't going to lose them anytime soon, , it's not really a stalemate at all.

War ends with recognition of this, it's just a matter of when. Question will be if Ukraine keeps shelling the former LPR and DPR afterwards. Well, probably not since they don't have any shells, but I'm sure they would like to.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i just listened to a recent interview with slavoj sizek and his argument was that it was a good thing that we armed Ukraine at the start of the conflict, because it has led to a stalemate, which potentially means that Ukraine can win the war…

I think I put my head in my hands at that point, this war has really melted the brains of any western thinker, or maybe these guys were always terrible, but I just didn’t notice

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

my bony fealty posted:

War ends with recognition of this, it's just a matter of when. Question will be if Ukraine keeps shelling the former LPR and DPR afterwards. Well, probably not since they don't have any shells, but I'm sure they would like to.

I desperately hope that Russia doesn't fall for a fake settlement and a minsk 3 that'll just get disregarded 6 years down the line. They need a genuine puppet government fully on board with Russian interests in charge of whatever's left over of Ukraine after the war or else this all happens again. Putin's ability to run the russian state and keep things improving and going so well is strangley contradictory to the naivety that he espouses whenever given the chance and the fact that he genuinely seems to take the west at their loving word over and over again, and end up feeling betrayed every time they betray him.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

this whole thread is coconut tree coded. it despises living in context with everything else and everything that came before.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

Jel Shaker posted:

i just listened to a recent interview with slavoj sizek and his argument was that it was a good thing that we armed Ukraine at the start of the conflict, because it has led to a stalemate, which potentially means that Ukraine can win the war…

I think I put my head in my hands at that point, this war has really melted the brains of any western thinker, or maybe these guys were always terrible, but I just didn’t notice

Zizek's brain has been melting for years, I don't think ukraine represents a strong decline in that particular thinker's merits.

You're right that the western "left" is desperately bankrupt of any worthwhile thinkers on a large scale, I feel like maybe the entire intellectual apparatus of the west has been so prohibitive to any meaningful materialist thought for so long that it was always inevitable that we just run out of people with anything meaningful to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedSky
Oct 30, 2023

Jel Shaker posted:

Zizeks always been a stupid piece of poo poo, albeit a useful one for western narratives.