Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Idk what that stupid four year poo poo is about, but he’s obviously a good coach. Losing to the Reid/mahomes chiefs sucks a lot but it doesn’t change that fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’m being sincere, he would need three losing seasons in a row before I was comfortable moving on

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Oh that seems reasonable

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Fat Jesus posted:

CMC looked pretty beat up

That one hit he took where he got pulled backward in a kneeling position made MY tendons tear.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FizFashizzle posted:

That one hit he took where he got pulled backward in a kneeling position made MY tendons tear.

Flexibility is very important

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it's a little strange that Spags has gotten absolutely no HC buzz the past few years, let alone this season. I gotta assume he told his agent to put out to owners/GMs that he's not interested

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

indigi posted:

it's a little strange that Spags has gotten absolutely no HC buzz the past few years, let alone this season. I gotta assume he told his agent to put out to owners/GMs that he's not interested

His last HC stint was so bad, the Rams gave the keys to Fischer and called it an upgrade. He was 11-41 as a HC in his career.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

sure but that was a decade and three superbowls ago, one directly on the back of the defense. Josh McDaniel got a third job

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I think it's pretty well known he doesn't want to be a HC and is happy being a high end coordinator. Jim Schwartz seems like he's in a similar position

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

MikeCrotch posted:

I think it's pretty well known he doesn't want to be a HC and is happy being a high end coordinator. Jim Schwartz seems like he's in a similar position

I mean I’d buy that, I know some people that are just happier having a boss above them and being competent at a defined, comfortable role on a team. And the positions above them are quite a bit less stressful than NFL HC.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Fire Shanahan.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

many people are saying this

https://twitter.com/ByMarkDaniels/status/1757046009417355592

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

:getin: :sickos:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

I agree

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Every year we get articles about guys not understanding the OT rules. It doesn’t matter unless you’re the coach or the guy calling the coin toss, and none of the quoted players were either.

Tactically going second makes more sense but the 49ers defense was completely gassed and had just given up a long drive, giving them more time to rest makes sense.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
It’s official!

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1757087393226596779

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Doesn't the ref literally tell you the loving rules at the start of OT

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

a neat cape posted:

Who listens to that nerd poo poo though

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Yeah, but if your coach tells you what to do if you win the toss and then you realize something you or he may not have known...whew that'd take some damned guts to do the other thing in SB OT.

But yeah, I think Shanahan wanted to do this all along, whether for giving the D a breather, or for some weird we're playing for the third possession which is a new thing that's popped up, or whatever. I think it's not that the coach didn't understand the rules, I agree that it's just some players who don't fall into the decision making process here that didn't. And we got some funny quotes out of it.

e: also worth noting this is the first time this has come up with the new ruleset in the playoffs right? The strategy seems obvious but I remember with the college OT rules at first no one knew whether to take the ball or play defense first which is now the most obvious thing in the world. This may also become the most obvious thing in the world after that game.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 12, 2024

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

I agree!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah, but if your coach tells you what to do if you win the toss and then you realize something you or he may not have known...whew that'd take some damned guts to do the other thing in SB OT.

But yeah, I think Shanahan wanted to do this all along, whether for giving the D a breather, or for some weird we're playing for the third possession which is a new thing that's popped up, or whatever. I think it's not that the coach didn't understand the rules, I agree that it's just some players who don't fall into the decision making process here that didn't. And we got some funny quotes out of it.

e: also worth noting this is the first time this has come up with the new ruleset in the playoffs right? The strategy seems obvious but I remember with the college OT rules at first no one knew whether to take the ball or play defense first which is now the most obvious thing in the world. This may also become the most obvious thing in the world after that game.
Yeah its tough to say, because I would want to play for the first opportunity to score twice so I dont think Shanny did anything wrong taking the ball first, but not going for a TD is what doomed them. Also Wilks not coaching his boys up about the play that was the winning TD is damning.

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

It's fascinating to see how the 28-3 Superbowl loss flipped Shanahan's game management philosophy from aggressive to conservative.

https://x.com/grantcohn/status/1056746603124449282?s=20
https://x.com/LombardiHimself/status/949174836122693632?s=20
https://x.com/ASchatzNFL/status/1442298939445694466?s=20

(Schatz comments on Shanahan's conservative decision making literally every season)

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1757086405568626861

The only justification for this is they want to tank for the top pick and get their franchise QB early in the new owner era.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pablo Bluth posted:

The only justification for this is they want to tank for the top pick and get their franchise QB early in the new owner era.

They are already in position to draft a QB. They aren't tanking, it's just a bad staff.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
They want to tank two years in a row to build a roster quickly? It's such a bad hire I'm struggling anyone would make it in good faith.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

indigi posted:

Secret recipe for Chiefs sustained success is to hire a geriatric DC so nobody will want to poach him.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Ayudo posted:

It's fascinating to see how the 28-3 Superbowl loss flipped Shanahan's game management philosophy from aggressive to conservative.

https://x.com/grantcohn/status/1056746603124449282?s=20
https://x.com/LombardiHimself/status/949174836122693632?s=20
https://x.com/ASchatzNFL/status/1442298939445694466?s=20

(Schatz comments on Shanahan's conservative decision making literally every season)

:lmao: I didn't check the dates first and thought each of these was from this year.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

indigi posted:

sure but that was a decade and three superbowls ago, one directly on the back of the defense. Josh McDaniel got a third job

He's coaching deep into the playoffs every year. Probably hard for a bunch of teams to wait that long. None of them want to get Commander'd

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I think pinning that Falcons loss on Shanahan isn't really fair. Dan Quinn at any point could have stepped in and overruled the playcalls.

Also maybe not letting your defense give up a 25 point lead

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Commanders coaching tree freaking sucks.

What an awful rug pull on Washington fans.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pablo Bluth posted:

Commanders successfully hire B. Johnson!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

another similarity to early Reid lmao. team can't play situational football if they don't know the situation

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

indigi posted:

another similarity to early Reid lmao. team can't play situational football if they don't know the situation

Other than the guy making the call on the coin toss how does knowing the rule change impact how these guys play at all? On offense you need to score. On defense you need to prevent them from scoring a TD.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

well first of all, it's simply bad coaching to allow your team to be ignorant of the rules of the game they're playing in. but more to the point, if the offense knew they needed 8 to prevent a Chiefs walkoff, it would have changed their mindset going into that drive. you're carrying a lot of water, it's ok to put it down

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

indigi posted:

if the offense knew they needed 8 to prevent a Chiefs walkoff, it would have changed their mindset going into that drive.

Do you think Kyle Shanahan wasn't aware of the new rules :confused:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Coldforge posted:

the offense wasn't. do you think the knowledge and attitude of the players on the field has no bearing on their play? this isn't tetris, the coaches are in charge of feeling, thinking humans

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

indigi posted:

the offense wasn't. do you think the knowledge and attitude of the players on the field has no bearing on their play? this isn't tetris, the coaches are in charge of feeling, thinking humans

Are you suggesting that if players on offense knew they should score touchdowns instead of a fieldgoals, they would play better?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Coldforge posted:

Yes

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

indigi posted:

You’re going to have to explain to me how Kyle Juszczyk not knowing the new OT rules changed the offensive 49ers strategy in onetime, because I’m not really following the line of thought here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

Secret recipe for Chiefs sustained success is to hire a geriatric DC so nobody will want to poach him.

Jim Johnson 2.0