Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Non Compos Mentis posted:

i can remember all the button layouts and adapt on the fly

because i am gods perfect child

Okay but now imagine you purposefully went out of your way to individually reprogram the game’s controls from the developer’s intentions to your own personal preference hundreds of times over the course of decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Space Fish posted:

Yes and continues to rule

Agreed

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Accipiter posted:

I'm an old engineer and my brain doesn't work as well as it used to, but I am still useful. And I still enjoy video games. Years of playing games on computers with customizable controls and PS1/2/3/4/5 and other consoles where I can do proper remapping have permanently forced my muscle memory to have the primary action button be the one at the bottom of the diamond. Anything else is extraordinarily difficult to force myself into - so much so that it's hard to even enjoy the game I'm playing.

It's not about being stubborn as much as the fact that I can't link the new neural pathways fast enough. People can "lol" and "obstinate" all they want because, well, people on the internet are judgy as gently caress without actually knowing the person on the other end of the connection.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

American McGay posted:

Okay but now imagine you purposefully went out of your way to individually reprogram the game’s controls from the developer’s intentions to your own personal preference hundreds of times over the course of decades.

i do this as well so i can invert up and down. problem

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Invert only make sense in plane games :colbert:

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Stux posted:

Some really disturbing stuff being shared in this thread lately

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Sounds like a skill issue

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

BigDumper posted:

Some really disturbing stuff being shared in this thread lately

your av has an n64 controller and yet you cant understand why i play inverted. youre a fake nintendo fan.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I used to play inverted but I ended up playing a game for a while that didn't have the option so I just got used to not-inverted pretty quick.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I can switch between inverted and non inverted at will just imagine there is a stick sticking out the back of your head at 90 degrees to the ground and that's what you are controlling, helped me

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I don't care about inverted/uninverted but if a game offers the choice in the options it should legally be required to have a level where the character gets drunk or hijacks a strange plane or something where the game switches the controls just for that level to gently caress with you

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Soul Dentist posted:

I don't care about inverted/uninverted but if a game offers the choice in the options it should legally be required to have a level where the character gets drunk or hijacks a strange plane or something where the game switches the controls just for that level to gently caress with you
So under your regime do games that allow you to remap the d-pad also have to have something that inverts your controls?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Big fan of the Beyond Good & Evil final boss I see

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Stux posted:

your av has an n64 controller and yet you cant understand why i play inverted. youre a fake nintendo fan.

Im actually a superior nintendo fan because I can play with the default control settings that they want me to use. Dont matter which game

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I rolled with inverted for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark but on dual stick pads it's regular

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

finished Blasphemous 2 there. wonderful game and it loads super quick on switch. recommended for any and all metroidvania fans

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I learned to play inverted because of plane games on the n64, but I'm not a stubborn old engineer and can adapt and learn regular controls. Also some older jrpgs had the x axis inverted and while annoying, it was doable after learning and adapting. It really does sound like a skill issue.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

So under your regime do games that allow you to remap the d-pad also have to have something that inverts your controls?

Nope it's just a fun joystick gimmick

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I’m a geologist in my late 30s and I don’t have problems with button layouts.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

40-yo ecologist checking in... For me it depends!

I can switch between the right-hand button or the bottom button being confirm/cancel readily enough. I've bounced between different games enough at this point that it only takes a bit of cursing to adjust.

I need "airplane" controls for flying, though. Decades of inverted flight controls is just too baked into my brain.

One other thing I can't get through my brain is the on-screen button prompts using "Xbox" layout rather than Nintendo. The A button is on the right and the Y button is on the left in my brain and no amount of coaching makes that sink in. Even thinking in terms of the button colors doesn't help. This only particularly matter for QTEs, at least. (Jurassic World on PC with a XBox controller was a fun time, lemme tells ya...)

Playstation layout, for some reason, I get just fine, even though the X button is on the bottom there. It's just he swapped A/B and X/Y between XBox and Nintendo that fucks with my brain. :shrug:

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
I'm a 96 year old sex worker and I have to swap the start and select buttons or else I fly into an uncontrollable rage and poo poo myself

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Accipiter posted:

Nintendo can eat a fat dick with their Switch controller button remapping feature. It's bad enough that the system nags you every time you turn on the system asking if you want to switch back to the defaults, but I just discovered today that they intentionally crippled the feature in that it doesn't support 3rd party controllers.

I'm glad they brought the feature to the system at all because I need B and A swapped to be able to play pretty much any game, but they added such unnecessary hostility.

hahahahahahaha

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
i eat poo poo for a living and i can't press a button

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

so with all of these switch 2 leaks, it sure seems like something’s coming soon. but i have no idea what its launch titles could be.

we just got a new mario, a new zelda, and, i think, a new pokémon. i don’t feel like metroid is popular enough to carry the launch.

is it just going to be mario kart 9 and some random other stuff? metroid prime 4 and the other mp remastered? not really sure what nintendo can do here.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

abelwingnut posted:

so with all of these switch 2 leaks, it sure seems like something’s coming soon. but i have no idea what its launch titles could be.

we just got a new mario, a new zelda, and, i think, a new pokémon. i don’t feel like metroid is popular enough to carry the launch.

is it just going to be mario kart 9 and some random other stuff? metroid prime 4 and the other mp remastered? not really sure what nintendo can do here.

It's going to be remappable controls

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

abelwingnut posted:

We haven't had a new 3D Mario in 7 years and a new Mario Kart in 30 years, that plus whatever weird gimmicky showcase title they release will be more than enough.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

New Mario was 2d so a 3d one could happen

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

New Mario was 2d so a 3d one could happen

Need more Bowser's Fury where Mario goes on an adventure fighting kaiju across the mushroom Kingdom

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

i would be happy with more odyssey, given it's one of the best games ever made

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

An Actual Princess posted:

this

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I played inverted my entire life and then, for some reason last year in my mid 40s, I switched and now can't go back to it. I mean I used to have a freakin' severe negative reaction when grabbing a controller that was NOT inverted and then it switches in a day? My brain is broken.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

An Actual Princess posted:

Been praying for Odyssey 2 as a launch title for the next system

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BigDumper posted:

Been praying for Odyssey 2 as a launch title for the next system

I would just like it to come out for the Switch since there is never going to be a next system.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Metroid prime remastered....2!!!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

BonoMan posted:

I played inverted my entire life and then, for some reason last year in my mid 40s, I switched and now can't go back to it. I mean I used to have a freakin' severe negative reaction when grabbing a controller that was NOT inverted and then it switches in a day? My brain is broken.

That sure is weird, I suggest checking up on that, in case it's a brain tumor

Joking aside, I played too many flight and space sims, and playing without vertical inversion became impossible to a degree that just makes playing any sort of 3D-game unplayable if there's no option to change. My first attempt at BotW back in 2017 had me start panicing and hunt through the settings to find the option to invert the camera, as I kept flipping the camera upside down and walked poor Link into death over and over.

On the other hand, my brain doesn't care if the buttons are labelled X, 11, triangle or pancakes, it adjusts to new schemes pretty much instantly. Brains are weird.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

abelwingnut posted:

It's probably just a weird coincidence, but we got:
Galaxy the year after New super Mario
Galaxy 2 the year after nsmb Wii
3d world the year after nsmb2
So wonder coming out last year is definitely not a problem for a 3d Mario this year.

In addition to 3d Mario, mk9, and mp4... Probably Kirby? And grezzo hasn't had a game since links awakening remake, I bet they have something cooking.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

xedo posted:

It's probably just a weird coincidence, but we got:
Galaxy the year after New super Mario
Galaxy 2 the year after nsmb Wii
3d world the year after nsmb2
So wonder coming out last year is definitely not a problem for a 3d Mario this year.

In addition to 3d Mario, mk9, and mp4... Probably Kirby? And grezzo hasn't had a game since links awakening remake, I bet they have something cooking.

Wow, Mario 64 came out a year after Mario World 2.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Stux posted:

Good news! The games that benefit from inverted controls are the exact ones that play better on a Steam Deck anyways.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Silver Falcon posted:

Playstation layout, for some reason, I get just fine, even though the X button is on the bottom there.
PlayStation doesn't have an X button. It does have a ╳ though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

American McGay posted:

Switch thread FTMFW