Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I love stories about super soldiers dealing with trauma and grappling with their humanity. I’m invested in all the Spartans learning how to smile, again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got a chuckle out of Cobalt Team telling them that they're not interested in having their own character growth narrative because they'd be worse at shooting

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

RBA Starblade posted:

I got a chuckle out of Cobalt Team telling them that they're not interested in having their own character growth narrative because they'd be worse at shooting

I have some bad news for cobalt team about what happens next

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Professor Beetus posted:

I have some bad news for cobalt team about what happens next

Lmao

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I am pretty excited that they're going to reach already, and that episode 4 is titled "reach." I wonder if Cobalt will be a stand in for noble squad (boo hiss if so), and Chief and co will get there just in time to see poo poo really hit the fan.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is this season worth watching. I thought season 1 was maybe. 6/10?

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
I like it more and there are a lot of expensive practical things on camera. Still only getting a Defiance season 3 at best, mind.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Monica Bellucci posted:

I like it more and there are a lot of expensive practical things on camera. Still only getting a Defiance season 3 at best, mind.

With the dearth of good sci-fi a Defiance season 3 is good in my book. Shame it always has to be several spins of the round-about getting there with the inevitable resulting cancellation.

First two episodes were good. Certainly a lot more going on so far than the last season.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Thanks, I’ll check it out

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

grittyreboot posted:

Good to know Paramount+ still hasn't improved the Xbox app in over a year. I bet they still haven't fixed the weird playback bugs that made DS9 unwatchable

Brad Jones just did a podcast where the main topic was how bad the Paramount+ app sucks everywhere.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Professor Beetus posted:

I am pretty excited that they're going to reach already, and that episode 4 is titled "reach." I wonder if Cobalt will be a stand in for noble squad (boo hiss if so), and Chief and co will get there just in time to see poo poo really hit the fan.

Hopefully they won't stick ruthlessly to the Reach - H3 thing where all* the other OG Spartans are dead MIA, I'd really like it if at least Kai and Riz can stick around for the duration.

* I think someone said one other Spartan ends up with Dr War Crimes but never saw/heard any of that in game

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sentinel Red posted:

Hopefully they won't stick ruthlessly to the Reach - H3 thing where all* the other OG Spartans are dead MIA, I'd really like it if at least Kai and Riz can stick around for the duration.

* I think someone said one other Spartan ends up with Dr War Crimes but never saw/heard any of that in game

Jun survives Reach and trains the Spartan 4s

No one really cares about Jun though

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

RBA Starblade posted:

Jun survives Reach and trains the Spartan 4s

No one really cares about Jun though

All I remember about Jun is that they slow walked everything I should know or care about Jun so I recognize her but that is it and I get pissed off if she is in a scene which is one of them so far. Christ I feel sorry for the actress, she seems good.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Caught up with the Season 2 openers. Cautiously optimistic where this could go from here.

Like others have mentioned - the core conceits of Halo - war against the covenant / exploration of unique alien worlds doesn't necessarily translate automatically to a television series, especially one that's gotta consider a budget, so the focus on more smaller, human scale makes sense.

This works great when the subject is interesting. The Focusing on Haley's war crimes / hosed up ethical nature of the augmented child soldiers, ONI's shadowy politicking around 'keeping quiet about the human race genocide' and Spartans finding their humanity again are all great concepts that are engaging and I want to see develop.

However, following pirate planet people / Soren / Kwan's stories really are not interesting, especially during the aforementioned hidden human genocides. Hoping they thread their stuff back into the main plot soonish.

I did chuckle at they basically opened the season with "Remember Madrigal, the planet that was the focus of many episodes in Season 1? It no longer exists... "

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I am going to be mad if reiki is real in Halo, though. At no point in any of the lore has alternative healing has been discussed and I don't trust that 'magic hands' poo poo from left field.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Halo lore has the ability to heal sounds by just standing behind a tree for 5 seconds, including wounds from using a grenade to boost a jump

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Yeah but that dude touching Riz wasn't going,"Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo Bwoooooooo"

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
What if he’s a normal physical therapist and the Spartans think he’s magic because they haven’t been hugged in over 30 years?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Marsupial Ape posted:

What if he’s a normal physical therapist and the Spartans think he’s magic because they haven’t been hugged in over 30 years?

:hmmyes:

e: Master Chief Gets Glomped

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Isometric Bacon posted:

However, following pirate planet people / Soren / Kwan's stories really are not interesting, especially during the aforementioned hidden human genocides. Hoping they thread their stuff back into the main plot soonish.

I did chuckle at they basically opened the season with "Remember Madrigal, the planet that was the focus of many episodes in Season 1? It no longer exists... "

In theory this made a lot of sense for a TV show. You need to introduce a virgin audience to the backstory and world Halo takes place in, so it seems sensible to have one of the plotlines follow the insurrectionists and let the audience see and learn about the UNSC and all the bleak stuff thats not driving jeeps around ringworlds.

They just completely hosed it all up and made nothing interesting out of it. The whole madrigal is gone thing, especially after all the mystical well voodoo last season is one of the things that really makes season 2 feel like some huge course correction/soft reboot of the show.

Speaking of that, I really hope the show backs off on all the mystical poo poo. One of the best things about the Halo setting was the aspect of this great holy crusade and glorious journey with ancient mystical stuff, and then when you finally meet up with guilty spark its like "uh... this is just a weapon, wtf is anyone on about" and makes a point of shattering any mysticism.

The first season felt like it was buying in on the mystical nature of things too heavily, which... honestly I don't know why prestige TV always seems to make things 'powerful' or whatever the gently caress they have to ramp up the 'faith' and mysticism junk. Its like that Foundation adaptation that was so loving awful.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Who lives on the Halo?

I just started Halo Infinite last night, haven't played any of these games before. I did read the Ringworld books though, which told me that a structure like that would be like hundreds or thousands of times more living area than the earth.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phenotype posted:

Who lives on the Halo?

I just started Halo Infinite last night, haven't played any of these games before. I did read the Ringworld books though, which told me that a structure like that would be like hundreds or thousands of times more living area than the earth.

They're galactic zoos and research stations meant to hold a fuckton of different races and species because firing the Halo kills everything that isn't on a Halo in the galaxy

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Really! I knew most of the spoilered bit, but not that the Halos (multiple? I think I actually knew that) were a safe place to be while all life in the universe was being eradicated.

How much of humanity is left by the time you get to the games? I could have sworn I read that they were down to a single spaceship at one point, but I don't think I'm remembering that right. And all the Spartans are dead too except Mister Chief?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Reach was the first and as far as we know only one of the Inner Colonies to be destroyed by the Covenant. The Outer Colonies were more numerous and got absolutely hosed during the war. After Reach the Solar System was the next Inner Planet system o get attacked and the war ended only a couple months later.

As for Halos and wildlife there's a bit more to it. The Rings are biological research stations but they're not exactly safe from a Halo's galaxy-killing pulse. The animals on the Rings were put in stasis devices before the Rings were fired and then released after the rest of the Galaxy's sentient life died.

There's also the Ark which is where a massive amount of sentient species from across the galaxy were stored while the Rings fired. After the firings the surviving Forerunners returned the species back to the galaxy to re-seed it with life. The Ark is beyond the Galaxy's edge by a massive factor so they were outside the pulse range.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 12, 2024

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phenotype posted:

Really! I knew most of the spoilered bit, but not that the Halos (multiple? I think I actually knew that) were a safe place to be while all life in the universe was being eradicated.

How much of humanity is left by the time you get to the games? I could have sworn I read that they were down to a single spaceship at one point, but I don't think I'm remembering that right. And all the Spartans are dead too except Mister Chief?

It's been retconned and expanded a ton but as of Halo Infinite, the UNSC was destroyed (humanity is fine) and Master Chief is the last known Spartan that isn't trapped in multiplayer

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Horvath is supposedly still alive somewhere on Zeta Halo but lol if infinite gets any more single-player

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 13, 2024

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

RBA Starblade posted:

It's been retconned and expanded a ton but as of Halo Infinite, the UNSC was destroyed (humanity is fine) and Master Chief is the last known Spartan that isn't trapped in multiplayer

"Known" meaning to the UNSC. Red Team is still on the UNSC Spirit of Fire but as far as I'm aware they still haven't made contact with the fleet again.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Also Noble 6 is hiding in a cave

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SpartanIvy posted:

Also Noble 6 is hiding in a cave

To this day you can hear clanging in the Traxus container

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Phenotype posted:

Who lives on the Halo?

Halo isn't a Ringworld, it's a Banks orbital which is much much smaller. Also it's a giant hula hoop and God's own anti-son-of-a-bitch machine.

RBA Starblade posted:

The books (sigh) have plenty of other Spartans still running around. Master Chief's Blue Team is off doing something somewhere, Buck and Vale from Halo 5 have had post-Halo 5 books too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Really if you're a Spartan 2 who isn't killed in the same book you're introduced, you're essentially immortal in the franchise. Spartan 3 and 4s exist so you can have a disposable supersoldier who can make a heroic sacrifice in your story because a regular marine or army man just ain't good enough.

Red Team is pretty cool though. They're a bunch of hotheaded 20-somethings decades out of time, kicking rear end in outer space. Wish you were here.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I never really cared for the idea of more Spartans groups that they introduced in the later games / novels etc.

There was something interesting / tragic about these unique superhumans that were stolen at childhood, put through intense dangerous training and then subject to horrible augmentions that only a short few survived, and became humanities last hope. I dig that the show is going in that direction.

In fact I always thought Master Chief in Halo 1 -was- the very last Spartan, then later games there seemed to be twelve zillion of them.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Isometric Bacon posted:

I never really cared for the idea of more Spartans groups that they introduced in the later games / novels etc.

There was something interesting / tragic about these unique superhumans that were stolen at childhood, put through intense dangerous training and then subject to horrible augmentions that only a short few survived, and became humanities last hope. I dig that the show is going in that direction.

In fact I always thought Master Chief in Halo 1 -was- the very last Spartan, then later games there seemed to be twelve zillion of them.

So Reach was a prequel and they all die anyway besides Jun

Halo 4 did have other Spartans, but they were a later generation (incidentally also 4), who were augmented and whatnot after Halo 3. This was also when they got their poo poo together and used adult volunteers rather than children. (Well technically the first generation spartans were also adult volunteers but most of them died except Sgt. Johnson I think, so this is when technology caught up so that they could augment adults w/o killing them mostly)

5 is when they really hosed up by bringing back Master Chief's old team.

Infinite had some gen 4's who were also dead I think.

So it's mostly just 5 and the books where it turns out that, much like Jedi, there's a bunch hiding under every rock and fallen log

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like the Spartan 3s probably more than the 2s but the 4s I don't like much at all. They start replacing the marines who are the best part of Halo's human forces. It's fun leading a group of regular squishy humans against overwhelming odds, Spartan 4s are just an equalizing force that change the dynamic to sometbing less interesting.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I just realised that Makee could just be a clone.

We see Halsey dealing with Chekhov's clone in her pointlessly twee prison over and over. If ONI can mass produce them now, complete with memories, why not the Covenant?

Would even make sense for the Covenant to make multiple copies of her so their only human asset could go on multiple missions at once.

Isometric Bacon posted:

Soren is just a totally unlikable rear end in a top hat. I liked him enough in the last season, but they really dialled up the arrogance.

Suppose we'll see him next episode with a chip in his spine.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
It is interesting that to become a Spartan IV, an adult human has to have an amazing amount of invasive surgery. They have their all their major organs replaced with genetically altered or artificial ones. It harkens back to the traumatic enhancement procedures of the IIs, whereas the IIIs got a perfected pre-puberty version that is basically dialysis.

I don’t mind the IVs. They open up more narrative opportunities. Like…how do return to civilian life when you muster out? Do they de-mil your enhancements?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I just realised that Makee could just be a clone.

We see Halsey dealing with Chekhov's clone in her pointlessly twee prison over and over. If ONI can mass produce them now, complete with memories, why not the Covenant?

Would even make sense for the Covenant to make multiple copies of her so their only human asset could go on multiple missions at once.

Isn't the girl just a hologram of some limited AI? I really hope we're not going down the clone pipeline because that tends to get tiring real fast and the way Halo handles AI:s is basically clones anyway.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's Halo, she just respawned ten seconds later

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
When does the show get to blood gulch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Depends on when they figure out where that music is coming from.