Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
You can click that link and see which commits you're ahead/behind by. If you merge your front end branch into main then main will receive the commit you're talking about.

Edit* you can also merge main into your frontend branch and you should be able to get those missing commits if you really wanted to.

Edit again* youre committing some merge conflicts that you haven't resolved yet. I'd read up on git a bit more because it sounds like you're confused about what a commit really is. If you're studying to be a dev then you'll have to learn about it on your first week of work and figuring it out now will save you the embarrassment

a dingus fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

davey4283 posted:

Guys I need some help. My project eCommerce website is almost complete but my github is messed up and I dont know how to fix it. My frontend branch is the one I've been pushing to but it says its 3 commits behind main, and 3 commits ahead of main. I don't understand why its like this. I just need the most recent frontend branch commit (added search bar functionality) to overwrite everything and become the main, if that makes sense.

Could one of you take a quick look at my repo and offer some guidance? I'm not 100% on what git commands I need to fix this and I dont want to mess up my progress.

https://github.com/dave4283/ecom_personal_project/tree/frontend

Look at the graph of the commit history for the repo. https://github.com/dave4283/ecom_personal_project/network

You should see that branching off or latest merge point from main to your current branch and that the main branch has 3 commits since the last point they touch (i.e. were merged or branched) So if you want your current branch to be up to date with main, you need to integrate the changes from main into your current branch, fixing any merge conflicts. At that point you can make a PR to integrate your current brqanch ingo main whenever you're ready.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
This is very helpful, I appreciate you guys taking a look. I'll see what I can do with this later tonight.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Oh man, that was a doozy. I had chatgpt tutor me on commits and pull requests, then he helped me figure out how to fix all the merge conflicts and the whole process took about 3 hours. I learned a lot about git but I'm gonna try really hard to never have to do that again, I tell you what

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

a dingus posted:

Edit again* youre committing some merge conflicts that you haven't resolved yet. I'd read up on git a bit more because it sounds like you're confused about what a commit really is. If you're studying to be a dev then you'll have to learn about it on your first week of work and figuring it out now will save you the embarrassment

davey4283 posted:

Oh man, that was a doozy. I had chatgpt tutor me on commits and pull requests, then he helped me figure out how to fix all the merge conflicts and the whole process took about 3 hours. I learned a lot about git but I'm gonna try really hard to never have to do that again, I tell you what

I would strongly echo learning more about what GIT Is and what it does, so that you have a better understanding how to use it. Those pratices should transfer okay to other version controls, even if they're not really 1:1. It also makes me happy I don't have to do with CVS or Subversion anymore.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Ok, I'm trying to host my website now and it looks like Heroku and Railway do not have free services anymore. Is there a good one that I can use instead? My project is react, django and postgres. Its meant to be a portfolio piece for my resume, I dont care about low bandwidth or scaling.

edit: I guess aws has a free tier so I might try that..

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I think fly.io has a free tier

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
fly has a free tier i use for a couple things, and render.com also does

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I use fly.io but they keep having screw ups as of late i feel like

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
I just wanna say that deploying a simple page in 2002 was a lot easier than any of this. I guess it only had hyperlinks, though.

edit: it had a php forums too

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 29, 2024

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4013930

https://www.npmjs.com/package/kequapp

I've been posting about development of a node web framework. It gets a few downloads but doesn't currently have any attention. Which is good, more it less, because I'm an introvert. But if I wanted more attention what would make the library more palatable to it's beginners? Maybe I could improve the presentation somehow.

I heard somewhere that open source frameworks and modules compete with each other like a marketplace even though they're free. It is fascinated me how much effort goes into the marketing for these things. Super professional websites with pretty images and seemingly trips to tech fairs.

So, does it need a website? Does it need a code review? What could improve the package image? It would be a tremendous curiosity for me, as I use it for all of my personal projects, lonely though.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Alright, I finally finished my site and I'm stoked to have it done and over with. Now I can move on to the next project:
https://daveseshop.net

I ended up going with fly.io as aws was a big hassle and wouldn't let me run my psql db 24/7 without charging me a big monthly fee.

I made a LinkedIn post talking about the tech and frameworks I used if any of you wanna check out out: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/activity:7157449699661160448

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 29, 2024

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Requests are timing out to that URL.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Which one? They're both working for me. https://daveseshop.net/
https://www.linkedin.com/in/davidmann1/

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

https://daveseshop.net is timing out for me, and not responding to ping.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
It's loading for me but in the main carousel thing you've got white text overlapping with white image backgrounds

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

workin' for me, and also i'm not seeing white on white anywhere.

(firefox, mac, large-rear end screen)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Oh yeah the white on white was on mobile

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

oh, yeah, noticing a few things to tweak on mobile, including that.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Thanks for checking it out guys. Yea, its best viewed on a laptop, not mobile optimized yet. I gotta figure out how to do a flex box for my header or something so the search box and button aren't stacked like that.

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 30, 2024

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Hey guys, just wondering how screwed a job could potentially be if they're explicityly asking for Angular 11 in their job description? I'm mostly familiar with C#, .NET and working in Docker so I have no issues with their back end but they have an Angular front end in some capacity. The last time I worked close to the stuff was back in 2017 so I am totally out of the loop.

What sort of caveats would I need to consider coming from someone more familiar with Razor pages and ASP.NET Core style MVC?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

When you say you worked with it back in 2017, was it Angular or Angular2+? (Angular 2 came out late 2016 and is a wholly different thing to Angular)

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013

MikeJF posted:

When you say you worked with it back in 2017, was it Angular or Angular2+? (Angular 2 came out late 2016 and is a wholly different thing to Angular)

Sincerely, I no longer remember. Now they're up to Angular 17, and this new place asked about 11...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, the original angular, the framework under the 1.x numbers has been renamed to AngularJS, and has its own numbering scheme. The framework introduced with Angular 2 has been named Angular, and gone to continuously incrementing numbers, so you can kinda think of it as Angular2 17.0.

They really did their best to confuse everyone.

If you've got experience with Angular2+ then you should be able to catch up, if your experience is in AngularJS it's just not the same thing. (If you remember it being a very structured component-based app with a big master router and having to compile after each change and not just being native javascript you can edit, it was probably Angular2+. If you remember a bunch of controllers and directives, it was AngularJS)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 9, 2024

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
It's only Angular if it comes from the Angular region of Mountain View, otherwise it's just sparkling polymer

heap
Jan 27, 2004

RangerKarl posted:

Hey guys, just wondering how screwed a job could potentially be if they're explicityly asking for Angular 11 in their job description? I'm mostly familiar with C#, .NET and working in Docker so I have no issues with their back end but they have an Angular front end in some capacity. The last time I worked close to the stuff was back in 2017 so I am totally out of the loop.

What sort of caveats would I need to consider coming from someone more familiar with Razor pages and ASP.NET Core style MVC?
Honestly, asking specifically for Angular 11 is a bit of a red flag to me. I can think of two reasons an Angular app would be that many versions behind:
Both of the above are red flags, so if you're serious about this job, ask about their plans to update their Angular version.

Aside from that, the past few Angular versions brought some major positive changes that you'd be missing out on (like standalone components).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

(Or HR just used an ad written in 2020.)

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I'm trying to figure out if the following layout can be done with only CSS.
I'll have a container of a set width and height, say 1,000px x 500px.
In it are two sections, one is a (dynamic) list of lists, and I want it to display them top to bottom, then left to right.
The other section is just whatever the width of the container is minus the width of the lists section.

I've tried flex, grid, columns, but I can't get both things to play well. Either the lists section takes up too much width, or with columns, its width is for some reason the width of a single column.

code:
<!---- 1,000 px width or 100% -->
------------------------------     ^
| 1A | 3A | 5A |  the rest   |     |
| 1B | 3B | 5B |             |     |
| 1C | 4A | 5C |             |     500px
| 2A | 4B      |             |     |
|    | 4C      |             |     |
------------------------------     V
I can put in a codepen if what I'm looking for isn't clear.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Do the individual list items have fixed widths and heights, or are they dynamic, too?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

fsif posted:

Do the individual list items have fixed widths and heights, or are they dynamic, too?

Heights are dynamic since I guess copy could wrap,
The width is set, ideally 1/6th of the parent (~166.66px)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

If everything width-wise is fixed could it be lazy enough to add something like column-width: 150px?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

The Dave posted:

If everything width-wise is fixed could it be lazy enough to add something like column-width: 150px?

I tried that, but then the element that has column-width 150px is itself 150px, regardless of how many columns it is, so then the "rest" takes up too much width.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

A Codepen would be beneficial for sure, yeah.

Could you make the container a fixed height and then use flexbox and flex-flow: column wrap? And make sure the list items have a fixed width of 16.67% or whatever?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

There's a Codepen. You can see that the Zeta list is behind the #rest for some reason. I don't understand what is determining the width of #lists, and therefore #rest.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
I know figma allows you to draw up stuff, then go into dev mode and translate it to code so that might be helpful.

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

The Merkinman posted:

There's a Codepen. You can see that the Zeta list is behind the #rest for some reason. I don't understand what is determining the width of #lists, and therefore #rest.

What if you changed #container display to grid, then add grid-column: 1 to ul#lists and grid-column: 2 to #rest?

That would make the list and rest always be in two columns, and list will flow horizontally as it gets larger since the grid is only 1 row so the height: var(--height) styles can be removed.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

spacebard posted:

What if you changed #container display to grid, then add grid-column: 1 to ul#lists and grid-column: 2 to #rest?

That would make the list and rest always be in two columns, and list will flow horizontally as it gets larger since the grid is only 1 row so the height: var(--height) styles can be removed.

If the height is gone, what is determining the height?

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

The Merkinman posted:

If the height is gone, what is determining the height?

I think that's the combination of the container width and the columns style on #lists.

Leshy
Jun 21, 2004

I think the behaviour that you want can be achieved by setting a grid on the container, with a vertically wrapping flexbox on the container for the lists. See https://codepen.io/LeshyNL/pen/BabqMKr

The left-hand grid cell with the lists will be as wide as it needs to be to fit all columns, and the lists will show vertically as long as they fit, then wrap into additional columns as necessary. Which I think is what you want?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Leshy posted:

I think the behaviour that you want can be achieved by setting a grid on the container, with a vertically wrapping flexbox on the container for the lists. See https://codepen.io/LeshyNL/pen/BabqMKr

The left-hand grid cell with the lists will be as wide as it needs to be to fit all columns, and the lists will show vertically as long as they fit, then wrap into additional columns as necessary. Which I think is what you want?

If you set the height to something smaller, so that the list doesn't fit in one column --height: 400px ... it does weird stuff.

Thanks though. Feels like this can't be done with exclusively CSS and I need to use JS to manually figure out what column whatever content goes in.