Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I don't think Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Oklahoma Arizona, Nevada, and Oregon were mentioned yet.

Connecticut is famous for inventing pizza, hamburgers, sweet cowboy guns, insurance, the world's best tobacco. It also has other claims to fame such as Benedict Arnold, the battle of Groton heights, and the whaling industry. Also UConn huskies mens and women's teams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

500excf type r posted:

I don't think Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Oklahoma Arizona, Nevada, and Oregon were mentioned yet.

Connecticut is famous for inventing pizza, hamburgers, sweet cowboy guns, insurance, the world's best tobacco. It also has other claims to fame such as Benedict Arnold, the battle of Groton heights, and the whaling industry. Also UConn huskies mens and women's teams

Someone did mention Kentucky earlier but the question is "Least famous state"

Kentucky Fried Chicken, Bourbon, Drake's favorite basketball team, World's most iconic baseball bat brand, Kentucky derby

It's not the least famous state lol. Not even close. If I go to Japan and ask them to name which state is known for bourbon whiskey and which is known for being the center of the US' insurance industry which is more likely to be answered correctly?

If I go to Europe and ask them to identify a Kentucky Fried Chicken or the Battle of Groton Heights which is more likely to be answered correctly?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
New York?

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Someone did mention Kentucky earlier but the question is "Least famous state"

Kentucky Fried Chicken, Bourbon, Drake's favorite basketball team, World's most iconic baseball bat brand, Kentucky derby

It's not the least famous state lol. Not even close. If I go to Japan and ask them to name which state is known for bourbon whiskey and which is known for being the center of the US' insurance industry which is more likely to be answered correctly?

If I go to Europe and ask them to identify a Kentucky Fried Chicken or the Battle of Groton Heights which is more likely to be answered correctly?

Kentucky Fried Chicken started in Utah lol

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm just happy no one has said Maine. I mean, the state kinda is the very definition of backwater.

Fun fact: Maine is the only state to only touch one other state (our Mass shield, NH).

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

redshirt posted:

I'm just happy no one has said Maine. I mean, the state kinda is the very definition of backwater.

Fun fact: Maine is the only state to only touch one other state (our Mass shield, NH).

Actually, Alaska only touches one other state.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pencilhands posted:

Actually, Alaska only touches one other state.

Actually it touches no other US states.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

kentucky is famous because people drink bourbon all over the world. bluegrass is pretty famous too

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

redshirt posted:

Someone did say it but they didn't realize how wrong they were

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

redshirt posted:

Green Mountain Boys, one of the original colonies.....

Not one of the original. It's #14, first state AFTER the original 13 signed the Constitution and joined the Union.

free hubcaps posted:

Vermont has Ben & Jerry's, Champy the lake Champlain monster, skiing, Long Trail...

It's just Champ!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

500excf type r posted:

it may have invented those things but is not famous for them because i have never heard about it

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

it may have invented those things but is not famous for them because i have never heard about it

That's called ignorance and it's not a proud badge to wear

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
lol at the connecticut and Delaware defenders. nobody knows or cared about your little wiener states, sorry!

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

500excf type r posted:

That's called ignorance and it's not a proud badge to wear

it is when it involves Connecticut, which is not only the least famous state but which sounds worse the more I hear about it

it's like a secret country club for rich assholes but in the form of a whole state

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Connecticut is famous for the gilmore girls, Yale, Insurance and rich people commuting to New York. People might wish it was famous for other things but thats what its known for.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

it is when it involves Connecticut, which is not only the least famous state but which sounds worse the more I hear about it

it's like a secret country club for rich assholes but in the form of a whole state

It's like one could say it's actually famously known for it's ivory tower elite rich people and private schools...

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Connecticut is famous for the gilmore girls, Yale, Insurance and rich people commuting to New York. People might wish it was famous for other things but thats what its known for.

It has the best pizza in the country, it literally invented pizza, and people come to Connecticut specifically to eat pizza lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

a critical question is whether we're talking least famous to americans or least famous internationally. americans itt have shown they have no concept of what us states are known and known for outside of america

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

500excf type r posted:

It has the best pizza in the country, it literally invented pizza, and people come to Connecticut specifically to eat pizza lol

perfect example, i had no idea pizza was "invented" (dubious) in connecticut, and certainly never hear about pizza in that "style". no one i know would associate it with pizza like for ex, new york, chicago, or even california wacky poo poo (flowers on pizza etc)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

perfect example, i had no idea pizza was "invented" (dubious) in connecticut, and certainly never hear about pizza in that "style". no one i know would associate it with pizza like for ex, new york, chicago, or even california wacky poo poo (flowers on pizza etc)

But a bucket of KFC brings the canyons and Mormon temples of Utah to mind for you like everyone here right?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

500excf type r posted:

i tried connecticut "apizza" from one of the supposedly great local apizza places in new haven and it just seemed like a pretty average pizza you can get anywhere and completely undeserving of a different spelling, let alone travelling there just to eat it.

or even california wacky poo poo (flowers on pizza etc)

i've lived in california for most of my life, north and south, and never seen anything like that. we just have a lot of bad pizza places but its normal bad pizza for the most part. in most cases its just that the crust isnt right.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 12, 2024

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

a critical question is whether we're talking least famous to americans or least famous internationally. americans itt have shown they have no concept of what us states are known and known for outside of america

Connecticut River valley shade tree tobacco is internationally recognized as the best tobacco for wrapping cigars.

New haven style pizza is the term that competes with NY Detroit whatever else, just because you don't know something doesn't mean that people that care about those things also don't

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
What's wonderful about Delaware is that there's excellent healthcare available, the infrastructure is in good shape, booze and gas are cheap, there's no sales tax, and it's very close to the mountains, the beach, and multiple big and important cities. Also you'll be able to buy legal weed next year!

It's a lovely place to live your ordinary boring day to day life, not a place to visit. Then when you have a few days off, you can very easily leave and go to actually interesting places. It's a state where stuff actually works. Like you go to the DMV, you're in and out in 15 minutes.

I've traveled around so much of our great land and there's so much in every state that's broken or dysfunctional from the roads to the local government and so on and so on and there's just less of that in Delaware.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

it is really funny to see local guy style posters getting rly up in arms about their state at the mere mention of it perhaps being the least famous tho lol. my state is internationally recognized for its achievements!!!! people deeeeefintely know about my super local insular style of food lmao

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

and then they go abroad and have people ask "oh [tiny rear end state], is that in texas or...?"

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i'm maintaining that its wyoming though.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not up in arms, it's just fact. If you want to live in a pretend world then go for it but don't project your ignorance on others and act it's normal and cool to be uninformed

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

500excf type r posted:

New haven style pizza is the term that competes with NY Detroit whatever else, just because you don't know something doesn't mean that people that care about those things also don't

again, ive tried it in new haven and couldnt understand what on earth was so remarkable about it just seemed like a very average pizza

but also once you start talking about "people who really know/care a lot about pizza" you are talking about a specialized audience and thus well out of the purview of the thread. to normal people, pizza comes from either nyc or italy, and maaaybe chicago, that's about it.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

500excf type r posted:

I'm not up in arms, it's just fact. If you want to live in a pretend world then go for it but don't project your ignorance on others and act it's normal and cool to be uninformed

you cite cigar wrappers as why connecticut is a very well recognized state lol

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

CT is pretty awesome if you can afford to live here and has lots of claims to fame. But it is tiny and relatively unknown unless you are a cultured person. :smuggo:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i still cant believe the # of delaware mentions tbh. its still midpack along with connecticut to me

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

i'm maintaining that its wyoming though.

Its the least populous state and isn't really known for anything aside from "Cowboys" which it competes with like 9 other states for. So yeah I agree

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

it is really funny to see local guy style posters getting rly up in arms about their state at the mere mention of it perhaps being the least famous tho lol. my state is internationally recognized for its achievements!!!! people deeeeefintely know about my super local insular style of food lmao

Yeah that's why I tried to focus on why Delaware is a nice place to be day-to-day, rather than "It's the home of the famous stump museum!!"

In Delaware the whole state is your front yard and the rest of the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic is your neighborhood

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

500excf type r posted:

I can only assume that these are also from Connecticut and rather than making a holy pilgrimage to pizza Jerusalem they're just kind of being drawn back in by the gravitational pull of its information black hole because the alternative is legitimately too sad to be considered in a thread intended to be humorous

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

500excf type r posted:

I'm gonna find a US flag with 49 stars so that I can recite the pledge of allegiance to every state except Connecticut

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

You can pledge to Deez nutmegs

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol Connecticut represents the "deep south" to me.

The seasons are like 8 weeks ahead! The dirt is different - they got red clay down there.
The trees are all weird.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Besides the Wright Brothers' flying their plane there, North Carolina is known for....building furniture, I think? I honestly can't tell you. Anytime I see anything North Carolina-branded, it's just that stupid plane over and over and over and some mention of first flight, first in flight, etc. What am i missing out on? C'mon North Carolina, you have to give me something more than two Ohioans who used one of your beaches to fly around on.

redshirt posted:

lol Connecticut represents the "deep south" to me.

The seasons are like 8 weeks ahead! The dirt is different - they got red clay down there.
The trees are all weird.

Oooh, interesting. I always thought of New Hampshire as kind of the deep south of New England, honestly. Maine meanwhile I think of it as split between "North Massachusetts" in its bottom half, and then the top half as "Here be monsters."

Come to New England - our states are small, but the hang ups we have about one another are big.

IBroughttheFunk fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 12, 2024

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Texas? Never heard of that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Besides the Wright Brothers' flying their plane there, North Carolina is known for....building furniture, I think? I honestly can't tell you.

NASCAR

also lots of beaches

also bbq, kind of