Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Human brains are pretty much physically incapable of understanding probability at an intuitive level. We're just bad at it; our brains are evolved to expect low probability but high magnitude events as disproportionately likely ("what if there is a tiger behind that bush?") and so we are very vulnerable to gambling scams.

It seems to me like just another hollowing out of the commons by capitalism. Any good thing we have, even just the common shared joy of a sports game, capitalism drives to monetize, and we no longer have any other social institutions capable of resisting that pressure.

To be fair, demand for gambling (and sports gambling specifically) was around literally more than a millennium before the concept of capitalism even existed. It was just much harder to do without online banking and having to physically go to a bookie to make bets.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

zoux posted:

The fact that approximately 25% of all sports related content is now gambling related, while a lesser concern than gambling pathologies, loving sucks.

What changed in law to allow this to happen?

it wormed its way in and it was half blatant half subtle, half insidious and half just kind of blundering its way in openly, and there were weird little flashpoints where it burrowed into the whole "eh i guess this is just legal now lol" status, like when there were outcome bets on elections that didn't get sufficiently pushed back on

i was working in back bay and one day before the pandemic all the sudden a 100k square foot floor in the tower got taken up by Draft Kings and hundreds and hundreds of employees were getting onboarded

and i realized looking at it that this was already pretty much a done deal that i had completely missed. internet gambling was absolutely a go and this was a forever thing already. it just pushed in through cultural inertia and lack of any political will to maintain against lobby

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The fact that college sports and universities are now partnering and promoting sports gambling to their fans is also pretty wild.

I can't think of another thing that so totally and completely became enmeshed within society and every aspect of an industry so quickly before.

Even Amazon took 15 years before they basically took over online shopping and they only account for ~38% of all online sales. There's about 3 companies that account for 98% of all online gambling.

Online gambling is about as close to guaranteed easy money (for the house, that is) as you can get. The only thing keeping it down was the legal restrictions.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The fact that college sports and universities are now partnering and promoting sports gambling to their fans is also pretty wild.

I can't think of another thing that so totally and completely became enmeshed within society and every aspect of an industry so quickly before.

Even Amazon took 15 years before they basically took over online shopping and they only account for ~38% of all online sales. There's about 3 companies that account for 98% of all online gambling.

Gambling bans barely kept the lid on something that everyone was still doing or was desperate to do, like alcohol prohibition. I’m not surprised lifting them caused a practically instant shift towards acceptance.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
i think a big problem is people here viewing voting as some grand act of altruism that actually helps people. it doesn't. for people who actually concerned about the people who are having their lives destroyed by colonialism, the patriarchy, and capitalism, there are countless other opportunities to actually help people, from volunteering to giving money, to a point where that worthless vote for the better genocider is completely irrelevant.

lots of people won't vote for someone committing a genocide or running concentration camps, much less someone doing both. whoopie poo poo. as long as they focus on helping people the other 1460 days out of the presidential election cycle i don't care. the people trying to guilt people into voting for someone committing a genocide would do much better to put that time and energy into helping actual people rather than politicians.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Xombie posted:

There was already sports gambling on phones before sports gambling was legal, though. They just called it "daily fantasy sports". You can put anything on an app and skirt the law about it. But like all addictions, you can't be addicted unless you've actually participated. Simply being available isn't what gets people hooked. You have to convince them to try it. Which is where advertising comes in.

Daily fantasy sports got smacked down for a couple of years but yeah it was kind of an end around gambling laws that no longer exist. There's really not much popular support against gambling any more- in fact i remember the annoyance people felt when the US became a much more difficult place from which to play online poker once they started enforcing the law on online poker places.

Now it's a free for all, and woohoo, every bit of sports coverage includes some stuff for the gamblers among us.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Xombie posted:

There was already sports gambling on phones before sports gambling was legal, though. They just called it "daily fantasy sports". You can put anything on an app and skirt the law about it. But like all addictions, you can't be addicted unless you've actually participated. Simply being available isn't what gets people hooked. You have to convince them to try it. Which is where advertising comes in.

Daily Fantasy Sports was slightly different in that it was playing fantasy football and claiming to be a game of skill because it involved decisions and input from the gambler. It was definitely an end run around gambling laws, but it is also slightly more work to set up your fantasy football team every week and start gambling than it is to just be allowed to go and click the "Put $5,000 on the Patriots to win tonight" button on your phone - where there isn't even a pretense of requiring any other work or input from the gambler.

Somewhat relevant: Fan Duel's SuperBowl ad has appearances and buy-in from athletes, actors, celebrities, and even Carl Weathers from beyond the grave. It is totally enmeshed in the fabric of the sport and culture as a major part of sports itself now.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1756841707839148110

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 12, 2024

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Main Paineframe posted:

Online gambling is about as close to guaranteed easy money (for the house, that is) as you can get. The only thing keeping it down was the legal restrictions.

And the eventually lifting of legislation was inevitable so these companies (which already had an infrastructure for it any way) had literally everything ready to go at the flip of a switch as soon as it was legal. No runway was needed.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

there was an article (https://www.ft.com/content/537bc62e-500b-4316-89db-594590a56d4a) in the FT a few months ago where they talked to a hedge fund manager who has come around on sports gambling companies. it doesn't sound great!

quote:

Chanos closed his short after witnessing the growth in riskier forms of betting through which operators are able to boost margins because the odds are less transparent. These include in-game bets, proposition bets where gamblers wager on certain events happening and multi-string, accumulator bets.

During the 2022-23 National Football League season, Chanos realised that gamblers were rapidly switching from pre-game wagers, where competition to attract those who shop around for the best odds forces sports gambling groups to keep their margins at about 5 per cent, to these new types of bets.

Such wagers have “really bad-odds bets for [gamblers] . . . so it’s become a better business than we thought it would be and we saw that during last year’s football season and that’s why we covered our short”, Chanos said.

In-game bets typically command a margin of about 8 per cent, and proposition and accumulator bets boost margins above 10 per cent, according to Chad Beynon, an analyst at Macquarie Group.

the apps make it so, so much easier to place prop bets, in-game bets, ridiculous parlays etc, which have terrible odds. sure prior to these apps it was possible to lay five leg parlays with your bookie, but now you can do it on your couch, in the middle of a game, trying to chase bad money. this stuff is especially bad if you look at sports coverage now, which frequently promotes exactly these kind of long-odds, opaque, lovely bets.

eta: here (https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2024/2/9/24067121/super-bowl-prop-bets-betting-guide) is a stupid guide to placing bad bets on a prominent sports website, including endorsing a three leg parlay as "a good bet" that the writer "truly, genuinely believe will cash". and uhh it did not in fact cash! only correct leg was the george kittle under catches. bad bet.

lobster shirt fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 12, 2024

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Who will be Gen Z's Jimmy The Greek?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FlamingLiberal posted:

He would have been far more at home in the GOP clown car

apperently he was backed by a bunch of GOP grassroots types in hopes that the dems would latch on but all its down is peel some chuds off for a while.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Human brains are pretty much physically incapable of understanding probability at an intuitive level. We're just bad at it; our brains are evolved to expect low probability but high magnitude events as disproportionately likely ("what if there is a tiger behind that bush?") and so we are very vulnerable to gambling scams.

It seems to me like just another hollowing out of the commons by capitalism. Any good thing we have, even just the common shared joy of a sports game, capitalism drives to monetize, and we no longer have any other social institutions capable of resisting that pressure.

Yes, there's a reason why probability didn't even get started until the Early Modern period. Human beings are absolutely garbage at estimating it without formal education.

Gambling is basically just a third party tax on people who don't understand math, which is why it's so important to actually teach it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I am not a big gambling person at all, but if it’s going to be legal I say we just need to tax and regulate it. It has a lot of downsides but the corporate money is all-in on it and it’s too late now to roll this back.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yes, there's a reason why probability didn't even get started until the Early Modern period. Human beings are absolutely garbage at estimating it without formal education.

Gambling is basically just a third party tax on people who don't understand math, which is why it's so important to actually teach it.

It's a third party tax on the vulnerable. Statistically speaking (in every sense), *nobody* understands math. Training the whole population to a standard of math education where they are resistant to gambling scams is akin to proposing we solve traffic congestion by training everyone to grow wings and flap themselves to work every day.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FlamingLiberal posted:

the corporate money is all-in on it and it’s too late now to roll this back.

It would be really nice if there was any area of the modern economy where this was not true.

Anyone else still remember when your phone rang and it was exciting because you probably wanted to talk to the person on the other end?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 12, 2024

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
Another really concerning aspect of the gambling situation is the fact that we don't really have a lot of resources for people who develop gambling addiction. Most mental healthcare providers aren't trained in providing treatment for it. That's a problem because gamblers present with unique needs and it's not just like treating any other addiction. So people who do develop problems are often left with nowhere to turn.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Legalizing sports gambling was on the ballot in California a couple years back and got absolutely destroyed. Oddly it still doesn't stop millions being spent on football ads for apps we can't legally use and home insurance from agencies who pulled out.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It's a third party tax on the vulnerable. Statistically speaking (in every sense), *nobody* understands math. Training the whole population to a standard of math education where they are resistant to gambling scams is akin to proposing we solve traffic congestion by training everyone to grow wings and flap themselves to work every day.

Not at all. You're massively overestimating how hard it is to teach enough probability to realize gambling is a scam. In terms of pure mathematical knowledge, something like craps is trivially, obviously a bad game unless you're the bank and all you need to know is how to work out the probability of two rolls of a die : something a child can learn in a couple of minutes. These aren't complicated proofs, you can get the idea by just chunking through the odds with normal calculations.

It's unintuitive but not difficult. That's exactly what education is for. We could solve (or at least massively reduce) this with a minor update to the middle school curriculum.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
can I just say "smart" gambling / stocks and other fin poo poo is also a great plague.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

While I thought this was a good thing at the time, it's pretty cleary the opposite now

The worst thing is, even if the entire court had a stroke and reversed themselves, the sports leagues probably don't want PAPSA back anymore

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

It would be really nice if there was any area of the modern economy where this was not true.

Anyone else still remember when your phone rang and it was exciting because you probably wanted to talk to the person on the other end?

No.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

It's unintuitive but not difficult. That's exactly what education is for. We could solve (or at least massively reduce) this with a minor update to the middle school curriculum.

Cue the usual suspects of the right wing screaming about teaching our kids gambling in schools.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
Like, the fact that the bookies are "legitimate" businesses instead of local, break-your-legs, dive-bar bookies is probably a good thing from a harm reduction point of view, but I can't see how the ease of access and the ubiquity doesn't totally overwhelm that small blessing

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

Not at all. You're massively overestimating how hard it is to teach enough probability to realize gambling is a scam. In terms of pure mathematical knowledge, something like craps is trivially, obviously a bad game unless you're the bank and all you need to know is how to work out the probability of two rolls of a die : something a child can learn in a couple of minutes. These aren't complicated proofs, you can get the idea by just chunking through the odds with normal calculations.

I don't think it's quite this simple - there's a pretty far gap psychologically between mathematical expected value and vibes. Its pretty much the X-Com effect where missing on 95% feels worse than it is but winning on 30% feels amazing and knowing doesn't really change that. The Lotto is still a massive money maker even though everybody knows you're losing money on it.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Xiahou Dun posted:

I think you are giving people too much credit on how much they choose to retain from what they are taught in school.

I might be wrong, but I don't think people go into gambling because they think it's a rational way to make money. From my experience, it's more like a mix of desperation and thrill-chasing. All gambling games and activities are designed to be highly addictive too.

It'd be wonderful to give the public a better understanding of probability and call it a day, but in the end, to control the really destructive effects of gambling, I think you have to have measures to limit access, limit the marketing that children can see, or at least cap how much people can sink into this stuff every day. I don't see a way around that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

While I thought this was a good thing at the time, it's pretty cleary the opposite now

The worst thing is, even if the entire court had a stroke and reversed themselves, the sports leagues probably don't want PAPSA back anymore
Well like with a lot of things, Congress could have passed a new law to better regulate gambling but they didn’t.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If the same advertising rules that apply to Big Tobacco also appy to Gambling, that would be a start

Also, if Big Tobacco ties to sue to overturn the advertising ban in tyool 2024, they'd probably win :suicide:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well like with a lot of things, Congress could have passed a new law to better regulate gambling but they didn’t.

There's one congressman (Paul Tonko) who has been on a lonely crusade against sports gambling for the last few years, but there doesn't seem to be much support or consensus on how/if they should do anything at the federal level.

The Guardian coincidentally wrote an article about Paul Tanko and sports gambling last month:

quote:

‘There’s no limit’: one congressman’s solitary crusade to rein in sports betting

As Las Vegas prepares to host Super Bowl LVIII sports betting is preparing to celebrate its remarkable shift from the illegal fringes of American sports to the heart of its establishment. In Congress, one man is not cheering.

Congressman Paul Tonko fears the industry has already gone too far. “There’s no limit to this,” he told the Guardian. “You can’t have this wild west environment.” So far Tonko is a rare voice of dissent in Washington, another arena where the new gambling establishment is gaining ground.

The gambling capital of the world is playing host to one of its largest sporting events for the first time in February – less than six years after the supreme court set the stage for sports betting’s surge across much of the United States.

The transformation of official attitudes to online gambling has been head-spinning. Barely a dozen years ago, US authorities were still arresting and jailing online gambling executives. Now, in most of America, placing a wager has never been so easy.

This now-legal sector’s sprint must be stopped, according to Tonko, who has become its fiercest critic on Capitol Hill. The congressman is calling for a federal crackdown to halt a “public health crisis” from engulfing the country – starting with a nationwide ban on advertising.

The crusade has so far been a solitary one. No other member of Congress has yet publicly endorsed his campaign against betting ads, launched nine months ago. But Tonko is not prepared to throw in the towel.

Over the course of an hour-long interview, the Democrat of New York let rip at a sector he believes must be reined in, accusing it of “preying on” the vulnerable, targeting ads at recovering addicts and putting “profits over people”.

Back in May 2018, when the US supreme court struck down a decades-old law which had prohibited legal sports betting across much of the country, it knew the ruling would be divisive. Supporters of the ruling believed it would prompt a financial boon for states and “critically weaken” illegal platforms, Justice Samuel Alito wrote in the court’s opinion. Opponents feared it would “hook the young on gambling” and corrupt professional and college sports.

The sports betting industry loudly highlights potential signs that its supporters were right. The American Gaming Association (AGA), which represents legal gambling companies, estimates they paid $13.5bn in taxes to state and local governments last year.

So far the opponents of legalization have tended to speak more quietly. Signs of climbing youth addiction rates are more likely found in treatment clinics and helpline call centers than in political press releases.

Tonko is trying to turn up the volume. “I’m very academic about this job,” he said. “And if I see something as a looming crisis… then I should respond.”

The congressman was drawn to scrutinize the burgeoning gambling market after hearing “routinely” from younger constituents about a “constant bombardment” of ads. This is a “known addictive product” which, as far as he’s concerned, should be regulated like any other.

At 74, Tonko noted that his generation was not “much of a target” for the sector’s marketing blitz. “But high schoolers, young children, college students and, believe it or not, people that were on the list as people in recovery were a targeted list of populations that sportsbooks went after.”

With online sportsbooks now live and legal in more than two dozen states, Tonko is alarmed that this liberalization has triggered a sharp increase in compulsive gambling rates. “It’s an issue that needs to be addressed before we are overwhelmed by pain and suffering.”

Back in February, on the eve of the last Super Bowl, Tonko proposed the Betting on our Future Act, based on legislation that banned tobacco advertisements in the 1960s. It is designed to “protect the innocent” from the betting commercials that have flooded television, radio and the internet in recent years. “We didn’t outlaw smoking,” he said, “and we’re not outlawing gambling here.”

Days later, with 115 million people tuned into the Kansas City Chiefs’ victory over the Philadelphia Eagles, and companies reportedly shelling out up to $7m per ad to reach them, gambling giants dug deep. DraftKings, one of the biggest players in sports betting, recruited a cadre of celebrities to promote its special offer: a “FREE BET” for all customers. “Man, that’s big,” the comedian Kevin Hart said during its advert. Only the small print (displayed in the last seven seconds) explained it was impossible to withdraw winnings from such a “non-cashable” wager.

The wider industry continues to spend heavily. The top four operators – FanDuel, DraftKings, BetMGM and Caesars – spent $825.3m on advertising last year alone, according to data from the advertising intelligence groups Vivvix and Pathmatics, and an estimated $417.2m on adverts in the first eight months of this year; more than the same period of 2022.

These digital gladiators are still battling to dominate this nascent arena. Their extensive marketing campaigns have made gambling more visible than ever before; their innovations have made it more accessible, too. Regular prompts and opportunities to gamble have made the practice “far more destructive”, argued Tonko, who believes legal operators want “free rein” to do as they please. This is a market with “no parameters”, he claimed, laying out his case for swift action.

So far, however, support for his proposal has been muted. Privately, some in Washington question whether advertising restrictions would make more sense than outright ban. The pushback has been blunt.

The congressman’s comments “ignore the hard work and commitment of thousands of state and tribal gaming regulators who work every day to safeguard consumers, uphold marketplace integrity, and enforce the law”, Cait DeBaun, the AGA’s vice-president for strategic communications and responsibility, said. “The only ‘Wild West’ out there is the unchecked illegal market enabled by failed federal legislation, which handed bad actors a monopoly for almost three decades.

“Offshore sportsbooks pad their pockets by targeting kids, college students and those with gambling problems. Anyone interested in protecting vulnerable Americans should focus their efforts on strengthening and enforcing existing laws to stop illegal gambling.”

The industry has made some changes. The AGA’s marketing code, for example, was updated in March to prohibit use of the term “risk free”, and clarify that ads should be “designed to appeal primarily” to people aged 21 and over. Insiders deny this move was prompted by anything in particular. (Asked if it still uses the term “free bet” in ads following the change, DraftKings did not respond.)

“As legalized gaming expands, our commitment to responsibility continues to grow and evolve in tandem,” said DeBaun. “The changes to the Code enacted by AGA members demonstrate this commitment by raising standards and introducing increased protections for college-aged audiences who are more vulnerable.”

Such action is not enough for Tonko. “Intervening here, I think, is the just and right thing to do,” he said. The congressman is focused “for now” on advertising, but in time believes his colleagues should consider the best ways to both prevent and treat compulsive gambling.

Congressional hearings could explore what should be “off limits” for this industry, he suggested. “There will be ripple effects of all sorts that, I hope, will be reviewed, and given intense examination. And if it warrants public policy, let’s do the bills. Let’s do that legislation.”

Tonko is not sure the current safety net for problem gamblers is sufficient. “We do a lot to fund efforts to address people with alcohol, tobacco and heroin” issues, he said. When it comes to gambling, “you’ll tell me there’s an 800 number. How strong is it? How functional is it? You don’t treat any mental health disorder, any addiction, [with] a simple telephone number.”

Media companies selling ads, gambling operators pursuing customers and states collecting tax revenue “all stand to gain” from sports betting’s rise, Tonko observed. “But at what price?”

Toward the end of his interview, the congressman trailed off. “Look, I have a horse track in my district,” he said. “I’m not against gambling.”

Tonko visits the Saratoga course, in upstate New York, from time to time. His staffers reckon the congressman most recently placed a bet last summer.

But attending a track to wager on which horse finishes first seems quaint in an era when smartphones have enabled myriad bets – from the length of the longest touchdown to the number of passes two players might complete – during a single football game. The congressman believes tougher regulations are needed to reduce the odds of addiction trapping a new generation.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/dec/02/paul-tonko-sports-betting-gambling-regulation

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 12, 2024

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Eric Cantonese posted:

I think you are giving people too much credit on how much they choose to retain from what they are taught in school.

I might be wrong, but I don't think people go into gambling because they think it's a rational way to make money. From my experience, it's more like a mix of desperation and thrill-chasing. All gambling games and activities are designed to be highly addictive too.

It'd be wonderful to give the public a better understanding of probability and call it a day, but in the end, to control the really destructive effects of gambling, I think you have to have measures to limit access, limit the marketing that children can see, or at least cap how much people can sink into this stuff every day. I don't see a way around that.

WarpedLichen posted:

I don't think it's quite this simple - there's a pretty far gap psychologically between mathematical expected value and vibes. Its pretty much the X-Com effect where missing on 95% feels worse than it is but winning on 30% feels amazing and knowing doesn't really change that. The Lotto is still a massive money maker even though everybody knows you're losing money on it.

You're just saying that the math is unintuitive but with more words, again. No poo poo, people without sufficient mathematical education don't have enough knowledge of math : you're repackaging a tautology and pretending it's a point.

This isn't an actual argument against the efficacy of education, you're just repeating that it hasn't happened yet.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that "people don't understand probability" is not really a leading cause of gambling issues, in the same way that "people don't understand that heroin is bad for you" is probably not a leading cause of drug addiction.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Xiahou Dun posted:

Look, this is a nice dream, but in practice it doesn't hold up. At best what you're talking about is palliative, partial prevention, not actually addressing the substance of the problem at a societal level.

There's been a lot of studies done of education's ability to prevent people from getting scammed, and it's only partially effective, not least because as the brain ages prior education becomes less effective; there is a reason the elderly are often targeted by scammers, and it's the same reason the elderly fill casinos.

Plus this is ignoring the total destruction and hollowing out of our public education system today. Nobody is even trying to strengthen public education enough for it to function in the manner you're suggesting; rather the political energy is trying to force a collapse so the public system can be replaced by privatized (scammy) alternatives.

Like, perspective: my state established a scholarship program, any high school valedictorian could automatically go to the state university, free ride

There were counties in my state where it took decades for anyone to take advantage of that scholarship. There were plenty of valedictorians. Problem was none of them could break the 800 SAT threshold requirements admission to the state university.

poo poo is *bad*. Pretending we can feasibly do probability education at scale is Pollyannish.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

WarpedLichen posted:

And gambling as an industry is definitiobally exploitative of that. There's no good it provides, just exploitation.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Raiad posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that "people don't understand probability" is not really a leading cause of gambling issues, in the same way that "people don't understand that heroin is bad for you" is probably not a leading cause of drug addiction.

Yeah this is my intuition. Everyone knows that, on average, gambling on sports loses you money. But they gamble anyway because:

1) they're having a good time with money they are prepared to lose, basically purchasing a thrill, or

2) they're addicted to it or

3) they have a delusion that they personally know so much about the upcoming game that they can beat the market.

None of these depend on a poor math understanding or would improve with better math understanding.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

I don’t know the probability of any particular game and it doesn’t seem to matter; the easier lesson to teach is that the house always has an edge. I don’t think education is the issue here.

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Yeah this is my intuition. Everyone knows that, on average, gambling on sports loses you money. But they gamble anyway because:

1) they're having a good time with money they are prepared to lose, basically purchasing a thrill, or

3) they have a delusion that they personally know so much about the upcoming game that they can beat the market.

None of these depend on a poor math understanding or would improve with better math understanding.

Right. It’s weird to get hung up on thinking that people need to work through an exercise of calculating the probability of multiple dice rolls. You’re going to meet your education goal and hit a roadblock at “ok but I still want to do it because it’s fun.”

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 12, 2024

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
as someone who likes to play poker and put like $50 into a site at the start of the NFL season, yah some sort of strict regulation is needed. Advertising limits and money limits are for sure starters.

I am in a weird spot with gambling, I like going to casinos but I'd never want one near my community after seeing like Atlantic City. But online at least feels like it won't physically destroy a community.

it's me, I am the NIMBY.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Xiahou Dun posted:

You're just saying that the math is unintuitive but with more words, again. No poo poo, people without sufficient mathematical education don't have enough knowledge of math : you're repackaging a tautology and pretending it's a point.

This isn't an actual argument against the efficacy of education, you're just repeating that it hasn't happened yet.

I think if that is your criteria for sufficient mathematical education, I'm not sure how you'll ever achieve it. How do you make people understand something at a intuitive level and ignore their gut? There are some things that you can know academically but it still won't feel right in practice.

It would be amazing if you pulled it off though, the rational market that economists love to model with could actually exist.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Theoretically if you *really* beat high level probability education into their skulls, turned everyone into a mathlete, it might make some difference, mostly by reducing the likelihood people engage at all with gambling in the first place ("why would I let myself get scammed?")

That level of education is unrealistic tho.

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008
Don't even need to offer the math education, just go back to good old American "how business works." These companies don't survive unless they bring in more money than they spend. Since they get to set the bets and the odds, they're only going to offer bets where they've worked out that the house is going to win. Add in how the sportsbooks use loopholes to cancel bets, so even if they would lose, they still win (See here)

Of course, general education in this pattern may call into question our model of private health insurance . . .

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

PharmerBoy posted:

Don't even need to offer the math education, just go back to good old American "how business works." These companies don't survive unless they bring in more money than they spend. Since they get to set the bets and the odds, they're only going to offer bets where they've worked out that the house is going to win. Add in how the sportsbooks use loopholes to cancel bets, so even if they would lose, they still win (See here)

Of course, general education in this pattern may call into question our model of private health insurance . . .

I think people generally know that casinos exist to make money.

The whole appeal of gambling is the fantasy of beating the odds or getting incredibly lucky while risking something.

I don't know if there is any data out there that nails down exact specifics, but I would bet that the vast majority of people doing online sports betting aren't actually literal gambling addicts who are doing it compulsively. People understand that the casino makes money, but they think it is worth the cost for the risk or that they can beat the odds.

Even if they have delusions about how skilled they are, I think they all fundamentally understand that the casino has to take in more money overall than it gives out to stay in business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Look, this is a nice dream, but in practice it doesn't hold up. At best what you're talking about is palliative, partial prevention, not actually addressing the substance of the problem at a societal level.

There's been a lot of studies done of education's ability to prevent people from getting scammed, and it's only partially effective, not least because as the brain ages prior education becomes less effective; there is a reason the elderly are often targeted by scammers, and it's the same reason the elderly fill casinos.

Plus this is ignoring the total destruction and hollowing out of our public education system today. Nobody is even trying to strengthen public education enough for it to function in the manner you're suggesting; rather the political energy is trying to force a collapse so the public system can be replaced by privatized (scammy) alternatives.

Like, perspective: my state established a scholarship program, any high school valedictorian could automatically go to the state university, free ride

There were counties in my state where it took decades for anyone to take advantage of that scholarship. There were plenty of valedictorians. Problem was none of them could break the 800 SAT threshold requirements admission to the state university.

poo poo is *bad*. Pretending we can feasibly do probability education at scale is Pollyannish.

You just tried to move my goalposts which is at least novel. I was bemoaning the lack of education which is how this started, I don't think you can really lay that at the feet of my point now. It was, after all, the basis of my criticism. Further, now I apparently have to stop all scams rather than just ones that are preying on poor knowledge of basic math.

Then you throw your hands up and say that nothing can be done without any evidence.

Do you think that you have some kind of magic math-knower genes that uniquely allow you to understand that a 7 is the most common result on 2 six-sided dice or do you think that is an effect of education? Do you think probability is somehow particularly unintuitive and unlearnable versus things like algebra or geometry? You're being silly because it's hard : well no poo poo, education is hard.

You don't need much knowledge to know gambling is a scam and to be incredibly leery of anyone offering you a bet. Children can do it pretty easily with instruction and demonstration. It would be nice if someone could actually engage with my point rather than just saying "math is hard".

WarpedLichen posted:

I think if that is your criteria for sufficient mathematical education, I'm not sure how you'll ever achieve it. How do you make people understand something at a intuitive level and ignore their gut? There are some things that you can know academically but it still won't feel right in practice.

It would be amazing if you pulled it off though, the rational market that economists love to model with could actually exist.

If you walk a group of 8 year olds through the math of how craps work, I don't think they're ever going to play craps because it's really obvious how stacked it is. If you put that in a larger curriculum, they can generalize.

There is an irony in the bunch of people trusting their tummy-feels about how hard it is to overcome their tummy-feels about probability.