Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
seems like its post bath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Oh look, it's translated sensibly as "you're next" instead of whatever word salad we got in the official translations.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The concept of someone out there misinterpreting their favorite celebrity's words to be about them specifically is a pretty neat idea for a plot.

Given the sheer weight of All Might's societal presence there must thousands of this dude.

Granted fewer then a hundred probably had any size of airship.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, a deranged super-fan of All Might seeing the "You are Next" moment, thinking that All Might clearly meant them and spurring into action is such a great hook, that I am honestly kind of surprised it was not used in the manga proper.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The idea behind quirks and hero society has a lot of avenues to explore (like copycat heroes and villains), but main story has been about Class 1A vs League of Villains.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What's everyone's favorite quirk ghost? I'm a fan of one of the ones with short hair.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Shigaraki really needs the O'Clock ghost telling him he's not good enough.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, a deranged super-fan of All Might seeing the "You are Next" moment, thinking that All Might clearly meant them and spurring into action is such a great hook, that I am honestly kind of surprised it was not used in the manga proper.

To be fair, that also describes Deku. He just happened to be right.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean Deku also knew All Might meant him because you know

he was the boy that ate the All Might hair

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

https://twitter.com/SEBUTHEWORLD/status/1755866101928341647

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Sudden break this week btw

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Finished rereading Vigilantes. Koichi is such a loving goober, god I miss him. Also man, the final fight maybe isn’t perfect in some spots, but it’s pretty good in binge format and also, in retrospect is pretty short and a lot more dynamic compared to certain other final fights that are just the same premise of “overclock antagonist to burn him out”.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Continues to be hosed up that the MHA spinoff was so much better than MHA.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It helps the general premise of "three main characters and their extended cast" is easier to work with than "an entire classroom, the school it's attached to, and its extended cast".

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's also way more grounded in the day-to-day lives of its cast

Whereas we never really got a lot of academia in My Hero Academia

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I really wish they’d do a Vigilantes anime one day. Though the final battle was a bit overly drawn out and Pop was basically reduced to damsel status by the end I still kind of like it better than the main manga overall

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The school festival arc in MHA is great but also very sad because it's a glimpse of how cool things could have been if MHA had zeroed in and focused on smaller scale stories that were emotionally important to the characters instead of giant sweeping "this is how i became the greatest hero ever" save-the-world stuff. Deku working his rear end off to stop a streamer from ruining a school festival because he wants to make Eri happy hits a lot harder than 30 people lining up to shoot kamehamehas at Shigaraki/AfO.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kanos posted:

The school festival arc in MHA is great but also very sad because it's a glimpse of how cool things could have been if MHA had zeroed in and focused on smaller scale stories that were emotionally important to the characters instead of giant sweeping "this is how i became the greatest hero ever" save-the-world stuff. Deku working his rear end off to stop a streamer from ruining a school festival because he wants to make Eri happy hits a lot harder than 30 people lining up to shoot kamehamehas at Shigaraki/AfO.

The anime even expands on it with a full fledged musical number

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kanos posted:

I want to say that in general the series did poorly in weekly rankings basically every time it went back to school stuff after a point.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Fabricated posted:

I want to say that in general the series did poorly in weekly rankings basically every time it went back to school stuff after a point.

I'm not surprised, because a fair amount of the school stuff is built around really mediocre fightman arcs that aren't particularly interesting. It's really hard to give a poo poo about stuff like Joint Training, a fight which has no actual stakes in the slightest.

I don't really think Horikoshi had much of an idea what to do with the concept of a hero school.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 12, 2024

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I might've said this before, but I think it would've been neater if it was just Deku getting put on the anime Teen Titans. That way you can have a small main cast, while the other heroes are characters that can pop up for team-ups or whatever.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

The school setting also held back the main plot in some ways, I think. Between the end of the Bakugo rescue arc and the middle of the War arc, Deku and his classmates basically never interact with Shigaraki or the League of Villains. You have these big emotional between characters like Toga and Uraraka, even though they've only actually met twice briefly.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I'm glad everyone's come around to the idea of "90% of Class A and B should just not exist if we really wanna get somewhere with this".

Keep momona he's just funny.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shoulda been like Naruto tbh

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Anyway I think MHA's school setup mostly work and in practice 80% of the students don't actually matter anyway besides maybe a gag or two or helping flesh out some of the characters that do matter and that's a sensible way of doing things imo.

The issue was more that a lot of arcs kinda presented the larger group of students as characters who would be receiving ongoing arcs and continue to mean something as the story progressed. And while I think it became clear pretty early on that was not actually ever going to be the case the attempts to always give off the air of having this larger main cast did lead to some definite fumbles.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I still think the Joint Training Arc is one of the worst shonen arcs I've ever experienced

Basically no point to it until the very end (and frankly you could have done the One For All reveal in like a million other contexts)

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I still think the Joint Training Arc is one of the worst shonen arcs I've ever experienced

Basically no point to it until the very end (and frankly you could have done the One For All reveal in like a million other contexts)

That arc made me hate Momo.

It's pretty funny how after spending so much time telling us "oh yeah, she's going to be a great leader someday, trust us" without giving her a real significant win, she's just spent this final arc just making supplies in the school basement and nothing else. Maybe they'll squeeze in a moment of her being a leader somewhere in this final battle, but there's not really a lot of time opportunities left.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Honestly the girl with the big hands has gotten a more consistent and enjoyable arc about leadership and learning to believe in herself than Momo and we should have just had her in the group instead of momo from the start.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Think Horikoshi just has a hard time pivoting away from things he half set up early but ultimately turns out to not have much interest in. Like hey in Naruto, Shino gets a fight but then is totally benched for the rest of the series because turns out Kishimoto does not care about Shino while Horikoshi always has Momo around and feels like he wants to give her focus and small moments but they never mean anything or are impactful because he doesn't actually have many ideas for her.

Joint Training is kinda that for 80% of the cast, I gotta imagine an editor was like asking about when Class B would do anything because from everything MHA has done i've never got the feeling any of these guys outside of like the 3 in the camp arc were ever supposed to mean anything.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Joint Training in the manga was "oh this is kinda nothing, but it'll probably be better in the anime" and then it wasn't. It might have been worse, except for maybe the Bakugo domination episode. Everything else was exactly the same slog as it was originally.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You can at least skim pages in the manga. The anime makes you experience all 20-odd minutes at a time

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I thought joint training was pretty fun until it got interrupted by the start of deku's power creep.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

You must not have read many shonen series. Even at it's worst, the Joint Training Arc is better than 90% of Bleach. And at least its short.

It's a classic example of not being able to please everyone. Just as many people complain about the series moving too fast and not taking time to focus on school activities. Then when there is an arc entirely focused on school activities, the other side complains about it being pointless and not progressing the plot. Then reverse for the next arc. It's honestly boring.

I happen to really like the Joint Training Arc. It has some poor moments (Momo), but it also has some really cool moments and some of the best pre-war action in the series. Getting to see all those quirks bouncing off each other was awesome, I really think there's not enough of that stuff in the series, so much of the action just boils down to "punch hard".

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Feb 12, 2024

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Nephthys posted:

You must not have read many shonen series. Even at it's worst, the Joint Training Arc is better than 90% of Bleach. And at least its short.

what the

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Joint training arc went on way too long for what was a no stakes battle fest with a lot of characters we had no real history with. Then it was immediately followed by everything being dialed to 11 with the League of Villains killing off a bunch of heroes and destroying society. It probably should have been a small mini arc but one of the biggest faults of MHA for me is it tries to both have a lot of focus on granular details and characters while also zooming though plot beats. So you both have no time to breath but also lots of stuff feels dragged out.

I agree the series probably would have been improved with a much smaller cast even if I like some of the ancillary characters more than the favorites.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kild posted:

what the

Joint Training was only 20ish chapters. Fake Kurakara town was something like 150. By shonen standard, MHA has pretty dang short arcs.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
joint training was good because the mushroom girl and manga sound effects guy were cool

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Looper posted:

joint training was good because the mushroom girl and manga sound effects guy were cool

:hmmyes:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Nephthys posted:

Ravings of the mad here. You hate to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'd say on the whole that MHA is better than Bleach but that could also be attributed to Soul Society arc being so strong the rest of it is kinda bad. Kubo also died like Hori is dying now for the back half of the series.