Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

DaveSauce posted:

So I'm not big in to D&D and I just got to last light inn, but I gather gods are just normal people ascended? Maybe not exclusively, but I literally just got told that Vlaakith is consuming power of others to try to become a god. IIRC some of the flavor text on the loading screens flat out tells you that some of the gods were mortals that were given power by another god (Bhaal/etc.?). So wouldn't it make sense that there are an abundance of evil deities since they're frequently built off the backs of others, or achieved godhood through some exchange/betrayal to gain those powers?

concerning Vlaakith: she varies in power-level/status depending on edition

she used to just be a level 24 Lich Wizard, then she got epic levels, then she lost levels in 4ed (but still was over 20), and in 5ed it's not fixed what she is

notice she never has angels or devils, so she still is not actually divine (she burns a Wish on you to kill you for example)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I kind of wish that the base game also had additional details for items that grant effects like Arcane Acuity or Arcane Synergy - I’ve played this game for over 500 hours but you will never get me to remember on first guess which effect does which. Obviously one can just slap the item on and trigger the condition for the effect to learn what it does, but I remember on Run 1 just not caring about what these weird vague effects were on gear outside of “+1d4 fire damage” or whatever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

QuietLion posted:

I kind of wish that the base game also had additional details for items that grant effects like Arcane Acuity or Arcane Synergy - I’ve played this game for over 500 hours but you will never get me to remember on first guess which effect does which. Obviously one can just slap the item on and trigger the condition for the effect to learn what it does, but I remember on Run 1 just not caring about what these weird vague effects were on gear outside of “+1d4 fire damage” or whatever.

Press T

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jesus crit builds are fun. My oathbreaker hits for around 9 points at level 12, except when she crits(alot) and suddenly everything around her dies

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
Jesus Christ :negative:

There’s so many drat hot keys in this game to stumble on, I hate/love it

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

QuietLion posted:

Jesus Christ :negative:

There’s so many drat hot keys in this game to stumble on, I hate/love it

it literally says to press t for more details at the bottom of every tooltip...

\/\/\/\/ No, it does a decent job of introducing you in a way that lines up with most video games, from what I hear

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
ok so i've never actually played a dnd based game before, is there somewhere that lists like "here's what you need to know before you play any of these games"?

i mean i've played lots of RPGs but nothing with such a large ruleset

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

I like scorching ray because with the hat of fire acuity you can get 5 stacks off of Arcane Acuity. Now with your spell DC + 10 you can bonus action Black Hole and it’s an INT save so everybody gets the succ.

So if you’re fighting one big enemy or they are all spread out using a free cast to just dump out a 6th level scorching ray is a huge power bump also it cancels out the penalty from the spell might gloves. With Markoheshkir our Draconic Sorc also applies Encrusted with Frost and eventually Frozen by using scorching ray. Orin lost the 1 v 1 to some hot ice.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Black Noise posted:

Orin lost the 1 v 1 to some hot ice.

minsc was in my party and obviously charged in to help, much more fun than some 1v1

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Didn’t need him ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ went in stealthy to rescue and didn’t want to risk another eye gouging scene. “Oh what you need to do is…”

She is safe in camp making soup everything went swimmingly.

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby

RFC2324 posted:

it literally says to press t for more details at the bottom of every tooltip...

\/\/\/\/ No, it does a decent job of introducing you in a way that lines up with most video games, from what I hear
The Tooltips in this game are also small text and I don’t have the best eyesight or quality monitor, my apologies.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Thundarr posted:

Scorching Ray is great at low level because it hits very hard compared to other options you have early on and enemies are relatively easy to hit with it. It falls to the wayside as you get spells that do more damage, are harder for enemies to avoid, or both.

This basically. Magic missile is great for doing small amounts of damage to finish off multiple enemies close to death (especially paired with the tadpole power that auto kills enemies when their health drops below a number equal to however many tadpole powers you have) or for grabbing those hard to hit enemies, or for taking off those stacks of invulnerability that many bhaal cultists have late game.

people jump through all kinds of hoops to try and boost up the damage it does and make builds around it; but that’s never really going to be its job and it’s never going to be as good as doing other things if you’re trying to max damage.

Scorching ray is the best way to do the most damage to a single target (until you get blight) and the best way to do damage to multiple targets that aren’t lined up correctly for something like fireball or lightning bolt (until you get art of war/chain lightning)

Fireball and Lightning Bolt are the best way to do damage to multiple enemies (if they’re lined up correctly) until you get chain lightning, and having both gives you two different coverage options and two different element types to deal with resistances or exploit vulnerabilities. Ice storm doesn’t do quite as much damage but it has a larger radius, which can mean you’ll snag more enemies some times; plus it’s another damage type in your arsenal

Blight is the best way to do damage to a single target (until you get art of war).

Art of War is basically a more powerful form of magic missiles - each missile does much more damage, and you get six of them, so it ends up replacing a bunch of spells, although you can only cast it once per short rest. magic missiles still retains niche utility, for when you don’t need the extra damage, or if you’re just removing stacks of invulnerability.

Chain lightning is the best damage spell in the game, and once you have it, it will usually be the best spell to cast in most situations. it has a huge radius, and you only need to have line of site for the initial target - so it will consistently hit 4 targets; even if they’re spread quite far apart on the battlefield. It does very high damage, and you can force it to do max damage with levels of tempest cleric; and double the damage it does by getting your enemies wet. It doesn’t do friendly fire, and the game treats it as a single target spell even though it bounces and hits 4 targets, so you can use metamagic to cast it twice with one action/spell slot. you can end up casting it 3 times in a round effectively (4 with haste).

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Haven’t finished the game but so far they haven’t answered my burning question, « why would anyone follow an ideologically evil god ». Like « hell yeah I love lies and darkness and hatred »

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Haven’t finished the game but so far they haven’t answered my burning question, « why would anyone follow a ideologically evil god ». Like « hell yeah I love lies and darkness and hatred »

a god that likes it when i do the things my terrible lovely personality and desire to murder demands me to? hell yeah sign me up

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Haven’t finished the game but so far they haven’t answered my burning question, « why would anyone follow a ideologically evil god ». Like « hell yeah I love lies and darkness and hatred »

Because they’re evil themselves in many cases. Eg if you’re super into being a serial killer, you worship the god of murder.

In the case of racial gods like Lolth their society has been twisted by her - they’re conditioned from birth.

Someone like shar is a bit different - in that case it’s more like a cult, taking advantage of people and brainwashing them. For some people, oblivion and nothingness might be a comfort.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

magic missile at high levels is an anti-caster spell. each dart is a separate concentration roll, so you can theoretically force 10 concentration rolls, almost guaranteeing you break it

Jay Rust posted:

Haven’t finished the game but so far they haven’t answered my burning question, « why would anyone follow an ideologically evil god ». Like « hell yeah I love lies and darkness and hatred »

dark gods promise personal power

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

idk the good gods do too

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Irl you have things like the Saint of Holy Death thats got a niche in places like Mexico but my understanding of that is from a Channel 5 News video. Which is to say some white guy told me about this but maybe it can apply.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jay Rust posted:

idk the good gods do too

whens the last time lathander promised a mortal dominion over the entire world in exchange for worship?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I’ll basically always hate Deneir for what he put Cadderly and his family through

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

My impression was that the Dead Three only involve themselves in mortal affairs so much because they're weak and lame enough to find that sort of thing interesting, instead of whatever godly affairs a true divine power ought to be doing.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

exquisite tea posted:

My impression was that the Dead Three only involve themselves in mortal affairs so much because they're weak and lame enough to find that sort of thing interesting, instead of whatever godly affairs a true divine power ought to be doing.

haven't the dead three only been gods for a few centuries at this point? Like, Withers didn't give them his powers at the dawn of time

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

QuietLion posted:

The Tooltips in this game are also small text and I don’t have the best eyesight or quality monitor, my apologies.

The tooltips are nested sometimes (at least on console) and sometimes there will be a phrase or concept in a tooltip that had its own tool tip

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

magic missile at high levels is an anti-caster spell.

So is chain lightning. Or fireball. Can’t concentrate when you’re dead.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

concerning Vlaakith: she varies in power-level/status depending on edition

she used to just be a level 24 Lich Wizard, then she got epic levels, then she lost levels in 4ed (but still was over 20), and in 5ed it's not fixed what she is

notice she never has angels or devils, so she still is not actually divine (she burns a Wish on you to kill you for example)

Honestly it's embarrassing, jobbers like the Dead Three and Gale manage it, a thousand-year reign and 50,000 souls consumed and she still can't drag herself over the line? gtfoh

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I mean she remained active and secure in her position across like 3 editions while most of those mortal poseurs that call themselves gods can barely last 1, so she is doing something right.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

Evil gods tend to be much more free with their offers of wealth and power to mortals, whether or not they're being honest (and there's always some fine print they'd rather you didn't notice).

Good gods generally offer power reluctantly and in a limited way, like having you go through some ordeal to obtain a relic and then retrieving it once you've used it to save the day.

So if you're an ambitious rear end in a top hat, following evil gods seems pretty attractive on the surface level. Periodically you get somebody who recognizes it's a bad deal and instead says "well I'll just usurp the gods and then I'll be the boss!". This never works out well for them but it doesn't stop them from trying.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I sure hope this doesn't awaken something in me..

It has

https://twitter.com/larianstudios/status/1757078067132940537

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Shadow’zel is canon

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

If they drop the patch on Tuesday when steam goes down instead of today I'd be so happy. I am basing this on no insider information and only Murphy's Law.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
nm I found it

Gort fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 12, 2024

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
What's the point of kissing plate armour

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
"Ow poo poo I banged my teeth"

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Thundarr posted:

Evil gods tend to be much more free with their offers of wealth and power to mortals, whether or not they're being honest (and there's always some fine print they'd rather you didn't notice).

Good gods generally offer power reluctantly and in a limited way, like having you go through some ordeal to obtain a relic and then retrieving it once you've used it to save the day.

So if you're an ambitious rear end in a top hat, following evil gods seems pretty attractive on the surface level. Periodically you get somebody who recognizes it's a bad deal and instead says "well I'll just usurp the gods and then I'll be the boss!". This never works out well for them but it doesn't stop them from trying.

I liked the little bit post-House of Hope you can tell Mol that you're the one who killed Raphael and if you do she gets super pissed to the point of not wanting to help you any more, because of course the sort of person who sold their soul to the devil thinks they could have still gotten out of it.

mycot fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 12, 2024

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

mycot posted:

I liked the little bit post-House of Hope you can tell Mol that you're the one who killed Raphael and if you do she gets super pissed to the point of not wanting to help you any more, because of course the sort of person who sold their soul to the devil thinks they could have still gotten out of it.

This was such a great moment imo. It subverts the whole plucky too smart kid gets one over on everyone narrative and I think she would’ve been poorly written if not for that little side plot.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Also important to note that only clergy devote themselves to a specific god in FR for the most part. Your average layperson in Faerun generally gives prayers and offerings to multiple different gods at different times - yes, even the malevolent ones. They may favor one or a few depending on their culture. Much like the worship of gods with fearsome aspects in polytheistic cultures, offerings could be as much about avoid wrath as they are gaining favor (“Great Goddess Umberlee, please don’t sink my ship.”)

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Gatto Grigio posted:

Also important to note that only clergy devote themselves to a specific god in FR for the most part. Your average layperson in Faerun generally gives prayers and offerings to multiple different gods at different times - yes, even the malevolent ones. They may favor one or a few depending on their culture. Much like the worship of gods with fearsome aspects in polytheistic cultures, offerings could be as much about avoid wrath as they are gaining favor (“Great Goddess Umberlee, please don’t sink my ship.”)

that's bitch queen to you buddy

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

To be honest I use magic missile a lot throughout the game because I think it’s cool.

I’m hoping somebody will make a tactical difficulty mod that isn’t just pumping up enemy stats. Would be neat if fights were larger and short rests constrained, to really force me to improvise with level 1 spell slots.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Lord Bude posted:

So is chain lightning. Or fireball. Can’t concentrate when you’re dead.

Those can miss, and can't be cast with a low level slot. Neither statement is true of magic missile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

Those can miss, and can't be cast with a low level slot. Neither statement is true of magic missile.
Unless the caster has Shield. No caster in BG3 has evasion anyway so there's no "missing".