Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Not to agree with the poster getting aggro about spoilers, but I'd definitely keep them close to the chest (including who lives to the end of the series) for the guy still watching. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
OK, and closing out season two:

- I hope every season has at least one totally pointless police-terrorizing-the-projects-for-security-theater-politics scene. So far we're 2-for-2.
- The duck dying of alcohol poisoning within one episode made me cackle. Everything Ziggy tries fails. A tryhard made up entirely of flopsweat.
- Speaking of Ziggy, shocker: he gets beat up again! But, oooh, this time he's got a gun, and the very first thing he does with it is shoot some teenager when he predictably gets screwed again. Major Columbine vibes from Ziggy.
- And then he gets beat up AGAIN offscreen while he's in jail awaiting his hearing!
- "Did he have hands? Did he have a face? Yes? Then it wasn't us!"
- I usually find cat-and-mouse stories pretty tedious, but it's pretty impressive how many moving parts there are in The Wire, how realistically they move, and how well they're juggled. The closest comparison I can think of (in terms of attention-to-detail, not scale) is the first half of Death Note. I can tell that it's just going to keep expanding, too.
- "Probably sending a text message? My kids are crazy over that."
- Felt very dumb not putting 2 and 2 together to guess that Brother Mouzon would be Nation of Islam. Also, if you told me that Gus Fring was 10% inspired by this character, I'd believe it.
- Omar vs. Brother Mouzon! ...Not quite as fun as I was expecting, but still, really enjoyed their conversation.
- Also, gimmie that "I AM THE AMERICAN DREAM" shirt Omar's got.
- I rewound Prez punching Valchek four times in a row.
- I appreciate that Nick got increasingly sleazy looking over the course of the season, only to clean up that facial hair before turning himself in.
- If we divide the first season into two casts (the law vs. the street), each cast had a mixture of characters I enjoyed or found underwhelming/forgettable. The second season added a third cast (the port), and thank god for Frank Sobotka because otherwise the port cast was pretty dire. They were mostly fine actors, and a couple were decently interesting (The Greek, Bea), but I couldn't give less of a poo poo about most of them.
- That made the end of episode 11 a real fuckin' bummer, to put it lightly.
- Really frustrating that the law has made the same dipshit mistake three times now. Every time they get a perfect informant, whether it's Wallace, Dee, or Frank, they always dilly-dally around and fail to close out.
- Oooh, dang, that shot in the finale where Nick realizes that Frank saved his life by refusing to let him go to the bridge meetup, and then the camera focus shifts to Frank's picture on the board in the background.
- "No one fucks with us on our turf." <-- well that's just definitely not true, Nick. God, if I find out in season 3 that the car trailing him was a goon sent to kill him rather than his police protection, I'm going to pull my hair out. I think the Greek mentioned pulling all of their guys out, though, so it's probably not.

Overall, I think I enjoyed season 1 a little more because of my greater affinity for more of the characters involved, but season 2 was excellent and very impressive television. I see how it's a clear step up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

surf rock posted:

- I rewound Prez punching Valchek four times in a row.

I wasn't all that impressed. It was a penny-cheap sucker punch that would've got his rear end kicked in by a real police except for the fact that Valchek has his daughter's feelings to consider. :hmmyes:

It was so great!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Season 2 also contains one of the only cases of The Wire, where all the pieces and continuity matters, with a continuity hole that doesn't show up til seasons later. The mysterious recasting of Prez's wife.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I gotta be perfectly honest, I never noticed that at all (or if I did, I completely forgot!)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Are we absolutely sure it’s the same one?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

surf rock posted:

- Speaking of Ziggy, shocker: he gets beat up again! But, oooh, this time he's got a gun, and the very first thing he does with it is shoot some teenager when he predictably gets screwed again. Major Columbine vibes from Ziggy.

You had a totally different reaction to me regarding Ziggy. I found his story utterly heartbreaking, and the moment when he takes the gun and basically ruins his life in a moment of anger was amazing TV. I love Frank, but Ziggy is the MVP of Season Two, specifically because the show plays him as a clown until it blows up spectacularly.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I found Ziggy so intolerable the first time through that it made me like the show less. With time, and honestly getting older myself and better understanding the variety of people in this world, I've come to really appreciate Ziggy's story.

After he shoots the Greeks and goes out to his car is one of the rare instances in the show where the camera work gets a bit fancy, showing him in a sort of trance. I guess that happens a couple times this season. Anyway, I found it effective and believable. Something the wire does very well is slow elaborate plans and also the idiots that totally gently caress those plans for everyone involved. But also making you feel for these people and understanding why they acted as they did.

Also: watch Generation Kill

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
the guy playing ziggy is really good and absolutely annihilated the role that the writers were going for. also in generation kill and his one off in burn notice

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
james ransone. nothing against pablo schreiber, but he was just outclassed

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Charting my journey with Ziggy over the course of the season, beginning with the first third:

surf rock posted:

- Nick is kind of a nothing character to me (meaning that he's just a realistic normal dude), but the Ziggy performance is perfectly calibrated. This annoying horndog loser dipshit who's just barely narrowly skirting a brutal beatdown from everyone who knows him through a mixture of intermittent charm and connections.
- "God drat it, Ziggy, you sick gently caress! Get your dick outta my computer!"

Then the second third:

surf rock posted:

- Give me hours of Ziggy getting beat up or hosed with. He's like an early 20-something version of Paulie from the Rocky franchise. The Maui "fight" was extremely entertaining though.

And the final third:

surf rock posted:

- The duck dying of alcohol poisoning within one episode made me cackle. Everything Ziggy tries fails. A tryhard made up entirely of flopsweat.
- And then he gets beat up AGAIN offscreen while he's in jail awaiting his hearing!

Following up on the first post: the Ziggy performance is excellent. It's a difficult character to play, and he does the best you possibly could with it. I think the reason I stopped seeing him as a person and started seeing him as, like, a looney tune was just how often he got poo poo on. Outside of a nice conversation with his dad and the brief sugar rush of his disco drinking duck's popularity, he really is the punchline to like dozens and dozens of jokes in a row, and it was clear that he was just going to keep leaning into all of the behaviors and mindsets that put him into those situations. There was no surprise whatsoever to me when he shot up that store; I thought he was going to shoot Maui episodes earlier.

surf rock fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 31, 2024

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
Can someone post the sobotka boys Superbowl commercial for this chap?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

King Of Coons posted:

Can someone post the sobotka boys Superbowl commercial for this chap?

Please do because I've never heard of this

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EluvJby2baA

We used to make things in this country.... but who can argue with the engineering and technical marvels of Toyota!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

We used to make things in this country.... but who can argue with the engineering and technical marvels of Toyota!

Holy poo poo was that Dario Cueto as the game show host?!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jerusalem posted:

Wonder how Frank feels about non union Toyota plants.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dango Bango posted:

Holy poo poo was that Dario Cueto as the game show host?!

Yep! I wonder where his MY BROTHER THE MONSTER MATANZA was? :shobon:

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I understand Ziggy's spiritual essence basically as the Little Birthday Boy:

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

algebra testes posted:

Wonder how Frank feels about non union Toyota plants.

he blames Ronald "Union Buster" Reagan

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Baltimore politician gets taken out by "head shot."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/former-baltimore-state-s-attorney-marilyn-mosby-found-guilty-of-one-count-of-mortgage-fraud/ar-BB1hT1Qb

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
https://www.npr.org/2024/02/05/1225...OWoBmeTl-oOP9rM
NPR article on George Pelecanos

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Reading the article, I’m not sure what she did wrong. Unless she expected her (ex?) husband to pay her back the $5000 she wired him, which was never mentioned.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
nevermind

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I just saw Chris Bauer/Frank Sobotka in a clip of For All Mankind on YouTube. Is that show worth watching? It looks extremely silly but it has like four seasons? Is it supposed to be campy?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The first season yes. Every season after that in my opinion has only gotten worse, and the latest season I just kinda got bored and stopped watching after the first couple of episodes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

The first season yes. Every season after that in my opinion has only gotten worse, and the latest season I just kinda got bored and stopped watching after the first couple of episodes.

I’ll disagree but I haven’t fully finished the latest season.

I really like the show though

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Definitely worth watching. It's not campy but they're clearly having some fun with the premise, if that makes sense?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

grobbo posted:

I understand Ziggy's spiritual essence basically as the Little Birthday Boy:

roomtone fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 10, 2024

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

pokeyman posted:

Definitely worth watching. It's not campy but they're clearly having some fun with the premise, if that makes sense?

Maybe it's just that I'm not American, but if it's not quite campy it's certainly pretty cheesy. Love the concept, but I only watched the first three or four episodes before the lip quivery 'murca speeches turned me off.

It's very...Ronald D Moore

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Jerusalem posted:

I gotta be perfectly honest, I never noticed that at all (or if I did, I completely forgot!)

It's extremely minor bit she shows up at the dinner party and then when she reappears in season 4 it's a different person. It's one of the only times where The Wire's complete continuity and perfectionism, no matter how minor a character, is missed.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just finished my first watch of the entire series...and it definitely lives up to its reputation. It's hard to believe they were able to get so many different characters to weave in and out of the narrative like that. This show's extended cast has to have like 40 different characters.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
So I was wondering around Wikipedia as you do, trying to find the origin of the "don't go pulling every body you find, we'll be here all day" anecdote because in looking for one suspect who may have jumped in the River Thames the Met Police have found two other bodies. Went straight to the Homicide book page, didn't find the anecdote but did see that some of the detectives have their own pages including Oscar Requer who was the inspiration for Bunk Moreland and the man 100% looks like you would expect the real life Bunk to look like

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I remember reading an article about showing The Wire to actual drug dealers and they were all 100% convinced Bunk was on the take because he was dressed too well to be an honest officer

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

I remember reading an article about showing The Wire to actual drug dealers and they were all 100% convinced Bunk was on the take because he was dressed too well to be an honest officer

That's a legit complaint. We Own This City certainly used how the officers dressed to show who was crooked.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

StashAugustine posted:

I read one of those articles. It wasn't talking about Bunk, but they were saying a different cop was clearly on the take.

It made me think that one of the few omissions of the wire was that it showed so little of cops working with drug dealers. I guess We Own This City kinda updates that aspect.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I guess that could have been what Daniels was doing, but we don’t meet him until much later.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Count Roland posted:

I read one of those articles. It wasn't talking about Bunk, but they were saying a different cop was clearly on the take.

It made me think that one of the few omissions of the wire was that it showed so little of cops working with drug dealers. I guess We Own This City kinda updates that aspect.

Yeah I think what they were talking about was less being dealers themselves and more just having some people you tip off in return for favors- basically a similar relationship as the Greek has with the FBI but on a smaller scale

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

OK, first three episodes of season 3:

- Opener rankings: 1 > 3 > 2
- Great little speech from Bodie to open the season.
- Much like with Ziggy, I have cognitive dissonance from how much I enjoy the performance from Carver's actor versus how poo poo Carver is. Awesome police brutality speech to the neighborhood, dipshit. He and Herc haven't learned anything. And they continue steadfastly refusing to learn from Bunny Colvin too.
- To be fair, nobody has learned anything. If anything, most of the characters are regressing.
- Stringer applying Robert's Rules of Order to his meetings is great.
- I cannot wait to see the Avon vs. Stringer confrontation we're barreling toward. I actually have no idea how it will go. Stringer is such a fun character and is seemingly set up to be the big antagonist of the show so my assumption has been that he'll have Avon killed before he gets out on parole, but on the other hand, Stringer's approach toward the game is looking pretty naïve at this point. This is the first time I've started wondering whether Avon has a shot to regain power just by being more violent while also being intelligent.
- Just another unbelievable entry into a season from Omar.
- As someone who's not a pet owner or even very affectionate to dogs, the dogfighting scene still hosed me up. That's some messed-up poo poo.
- Herc and Carver running into Bodie and Poot at the movies is fun but also the kind of scene you've gotta save for deep into a show's run because it's goofy as hell.
- That said, the slapstick timing of the door opening just as the battering ram or whatever the gently caress it's called swings through the now-empty doorway (immediately followed by the "uhhhhh" hesitation) was perfect in that same episode.
- I'm glad that our major crimes unit looked at four murders in one night and was like "actually, you know what, we should probably intervene here even if it means giving up the wire to stop this." The show would be a lot worse if the cops never had a pang of consciousness strike, even if McNulty ended up being right in this case.
- GODDAMN Cedric is ripped.
- I really like Bunny and I know what happens to the characters I really like, so it's not looking promising for him. The foreshadowing here is heavy.
- Getting some Patrick Bateman vibes from the councilman.
- In terms of my pet interests, I've been hoping to get more into the city's politics, so this season has been a treat so far.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Count Roland posted:

Well, it certainly showed it in the Department of Corrections. With the regular PD, the show doesn't have that many random cops who would have been on the take. It was mainly the Homicide detectives and Major Crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

surf rock posted:

OK, first three episodes of season 3:

Awww yes, I love this, can't wait to see how you react to how things shake out.

And yeah, I absolutely love the SWAT guy just going blank and having no idea what to do when the loving door just opens and all his training goes out the window, and the detective has to motion at them to get the gently caress in there :lol: