Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for giving away my daughter's friend's last chicken tender?

They gave back the little bit of chicken that their daughter didn't eat, so why is the kid complaining???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

mystes posted:

that guy is insane and how the gently caress did that cause a heated argument

Fragile Male Ego

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friend once told her 14 year old son that she was making a sort of stewed chicken dish he was fairly neutral on. This was in the morning as the dish was to be slow cooked all day. When it came time for dinner she realized she didn't have the right veggies to do that exact meal, so made a very slightly different meal that still used the same slow cooked chicken but this time mixed with pasta, and she knew her son generally preferred that meal anyways. When dinner was served he had a meltdown because he had emotionally prepared all day to deal with eating one meal, but was then presenting with another. It escalated with him throwing the dish of food across the room like that Always Sunny scene, smashing some other stuff in the house, and running and away and not coming back until the next morning. He kept over and over calling it a "dinner of lies"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

mystes posted:

how the gently caress did that cause a heated argument the OP there is insane

I don't know. Maybe we should relitigate?

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

mystes posted:

how the gently caress did that cause a heated argument the OP there is insane

Among other reasons, people were also conflating three separate concepts together and somehow talked past each other

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Baronjutter posted:

My friend once told her 14 year old son that she was making a sort of stewed chicken dish he was fairly neutral on. This was in the morning as the dish was to be slow cooked all day. When it came time for dinner she realized she didn't have the right veggies to do that exact meal, so made a very slightly different meal that still used the same slow cooked chicken but this time mixed with pasta, and she knew her son generally preferred that meal anyways. When dinner was served he had a meltdown because he had emotionally prepared all day to deal with eating one meal, but was then presenting with another. It escalated with him throwing the dish of food across the room like that Always Sunny scene, smashing some other stuff in the house, and running and away and not coming back until the next morning. He kept over and over calling it a "dinner of lies"
This is why all dinners should be a surprise.

EDIT: But as an autistic person I genuinely understand the upset from expecting one thing and getting another. Combine that with being 14 and I guess you get some dumb results. But I'm assuming from context he's autistic, maybe I'm wrong.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Baronjutter posted:

AITA if I think a 14 year old is way too old to be pulling this poo poo, absent of any mental/developmental issues?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Everyone sucks here.
They shouldn't have dumped this on the shoulders of a clearly unprepared and struggling teenager, but the teen just up and abandoning the place without so much as a text is not great either.

Honestly, my reading is that there's a Missing Reason here; the 17 year old already had older sister blocked; either 17 year old has some poo poo going on, or (more likely) big sis is more of a bitch than she lets on and omitted that there might be a reason her sister doesn't exactly trust her.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Shanghaied posted:

AITA if I think a 14 year old is way too old to be pulling this poo poo, absent of any mental/developmental issues?

oh yeah he's big time autistic, and back then he refused to admit it. Almost all his childhood he refused any medication, therapy, or even just acknowledging his autism. He was 100% normal, it was everyone around him who were unpredictable liers launching a coordinated effort to constantly send him into meltdowns. He was also terrified of being officially branded as special needs or different and thought it would ruin his life, rather than actually allowing him support. He wouldn't even go through the process that would let his mom collect some extra support money or anything like that.

He's finally come to terms with his various conditions and now he's doing great in life. No more meltdowns, holding a job, multiple girlfriends, no more constant police interactions.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 12, 2024

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Baronjutter posted:

oh yeah he's big time autistic, and back then he refused to admit it. Almost all his childhood he refused any medication, therapy, or even just acknowledging his autism. He was 100% normal, it was everyone around him who were unpredictable liers launching a coordinated effort to constantly send him into meltdowns.

He's finally come to terms with his various conditions and now he's doing great in life. No more meltdowns, holding a job, multiple girlfriends, no more constant police interactions.
Nice, good for him!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Not that it matters but I can't help but ask: multiple girlfriends like "he has had multiple girlfriends" or multiple girlfriends like he's poly?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

No more meltdowns, holding a job, multiple girlfriends

Sounds like he's developed new problems

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

mystes posted:

Not that it matters but I can't help but ask: multiple girlfriends like "he has had multiple girlfriends" or multiple girlfriends like he's poly?

Clones

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

mystes posted:

So much social and emotional skills that he decided to do relationship on "Hard" mode.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Dinner of Lies would be a p good username

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Oh look, it's the birthday liar.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Neito posted:

Honestly, my reading is that there's a Missing Reason here; the 17 year old already had older sister blocked; either 17 year old has some poo poo going on, or (more likely) big sis is more of a bitch than she lets on and omitted that there might be a reason her sister doesn't exactly trust her.

Gonna guess that the felon mom might not have been the best (step)parent, and the "family" overall was probably pretty dysfunctional.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

mystes posted:

Once he got his brain poo poo together all the girls in his extended peer group realized he was a giant hunk. Now the problem in the household is that his younger siblings have to constantly ask him to keep it down in his bedroom with often 2 at a time in there. They're trying to maybe get him a more isolated bedroom in the basement, but 17-18 is a tricky age.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Oh look, it's the birthday liar.

It’s always your birthday somewhere :colbert:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
What the gently caress is that supposed to mean?

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

It’s always your birthday somewhere :colbert:

So loving nonsensical that I can't help but love it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What the gently caress is that supposed to mean?

Given the orbit of the earth around the sun, if one was to travel forward or back along the planet's orbit you could reach the location where it is your birthday on said orbital plane.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Baronjutter posted:

Given the orbit of the earth around the sun, if one was to travel forward or back along the planet's orbit you could reach the location where it is your birthday on said orbital plane.

....whoa

mystes
May 31, 2006

Neito posted:

There's a lot of background information missing for sure.

The sister is described as their step sister and, among other issues, it's not clear how long their parents have been together, for example.

It's also not clear how old the OP is.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Arc Light posted:

Yeah, it's super dependent on location, job, and command. I've seen plenty of colleagues get sent home for family concerns. otoh my bunkmate in Afghanistan had to watch the birth of his daughter via Skype because our command wouldn't send him home for it. OP there is pretty clearly American, but even though the US isn't in a shooting conflict, the military's deployment ops tempo is as high as it's ever been. Sucks for the stepfather if he's in the Horn of Africa, or out to sea, or whatever.

Edit: but sucks far more for his daughter having to deal with that as a 17 year old with no support, total bullshit

I can definitely buy the husband not being able to come back or it taking longer to get all the paperwork through then it would take to simply complete the deployment, but my understanding is that military families tend to kind of self organize into a loose support group of people that you can trust with your life during an emergency (yet can't trust to be around your spouse unsupervised).

I wonder if that support network could've been tapped. Sure the husband would have run the risk of the house being used to reenact The Apartment and anything remotely scandalous in the house being used as a source of drama chatter for years to come, but it wouldn't have put all of the responsibility on a teenager who just had their world shattered.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

wheatpuppy posted:

Gonna guess that the felon mom might not have been the best (step)parent, and the "family" overall was probably pretty dysfunctional.

Ultimately that's my assumption. It's just noticeable to me that that's given without comment, especially when any reason why it's the sister's fault would've absolutely made OP look good in comparison and therefore would be likely to be mentioned.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Deformed Church posted:

Maybe it's a physically large puzzle with a small number of relatively large pieces?

Alternatively, I can't believe any self jigsawhead isn't more specific about how many pieces their favourite puzzle is. I'll allow some rounding because some shapes/dimensions don't lend themselves to big round numbers but "about 200+" is the sign of someone who doesn't take their puzzles seriously, and thus is TA.

ESH because he's a worthless excuse for a husband and she's a casual.

I can't imagine 200 pieces of anything that would take more than an evening or even a part of one to put together. Maybe if it's one of those model kits where you're gluing or bolting on pieces? But a "puzzle" in the sense of pieces snapping together for someone who is supposed to be into puzzles that is odd.

Not that OP did anything wrong, just a weird detail.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Boyfriend refused to change his bean stained shirt before bed and we argued about it

quote:

My boyfriend spilled beans on his shirt giving him a stain that went through to his undershirt. Were both dudes. I said he can grab a clean one from my closet. He kept declining as I insisted on giving him a clean shirt. Frustrated, I told him he's not sleeping in that shirt in my bed cus I find it disgusting, which was admittedly not nice of me. He grabbed my hands when I tried to clean it for him. He was visibly irritated. He vaguely threatened to leave. We had a little argument.

Eventually he requested a clean shirt. I let him sleep in his beans stained shirt. Clearly we made up, but I don't understand what happened.

He says it's a comfort thing, he also said some
thing about his own selfishness (positively).

He could've just changed into one mines or let me clean his shirt, and we would've had a peaceful night. He thinks the opposite way about it.

I need a third party perspective..

How dare (s)he jeopardize the bean(s tained shirt)

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 12, 2024

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I can't imagine 200 pieces of anything that would take more than an evening or even a part of one to put together. Maybe if it's one of those model kits where you're gluing or bolting on pieces? But a "puzzle" in the sense of pieces snapping together for someone who is supposed to be into puzzles that is odd.

Maybe it was a typo for 2000+

tater_salad posted:

Boyfriend refused to change his bean stained shirt before bed and we argued about it

How dare she jeopardize the bean(s tained shirt)

quote:

Were both dudes

mystes
May 31, 2006

Neito posted:

Ultimately that's my assumption. It's just noticeable to me that that's given without comment, especially when any reason why it's the sister's fault would've absolutely made OP look good in comparison and therefore would be likely to be mentioned.
At one end, it's possible that, for example, the OP's mother owns the house, the step sister has had it with the OP and their mother, and since she's 17 and is planning on moving out in a year anyway, she just wants out ASAP.

On the other hand, it's possible that the OP and their step sister normally get along well and the step sister is just really pissed about her life imploding and being left on her own for three weeks.

We really can't know, but I don't think either possibility makes it really look like the step sister's fault? The way I see it, probably either the step sister is fairly mature for her age and doesn't want to be involved with a dumb situation that isn't her fault or problem, or she's not very mature and it was incredibly irresponsible to leave her alone for 3 weeks in which case the house being left unattended is not the biggest issue with the situation.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

tater_salad posted:

They're both dudes actually.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

tater_salad posted:

INFO: Are you both old-timey prospectors? This does not impact my judgment, but I very much wish it was true!

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
He's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes.

mystes
May 31, 2006

tater_salad posted:

The way this is phrased is really weird to me because reading the whole thing it seems like the issue is most likely that they were at the OP's place and the boyfriend didn't want to take of his shirt because he would have had to not have a shirt on or wear one of the OP's shirts but it's worded in a way that makes it almost seem like the boyfriend just really wanted to wear a bean stained shirt for some reason?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The step sister should have noticed the burglars casing the joint, and set up various home alone style traps

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It was like regular Cheerios, Lucky Charms, Frosted Flakes, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, etc.
:commissar:

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I can see it being somewhat challenging if its just a close-up of two faces (OP said it was of her and her friend on graduation). Making it 1000+ pieces would just mean you have hundreds of pieces that are just skin and nothing else.

There are those who enjoy 1000+ piece puzzles that's just like a picture of the night sky or gummy bears or jellybeans or a field of wheat or a brick wall or something . But they are freaks.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Puzzle difficulty can be really hard to quantify, once I sat down to do a puzzle that said '3 to 5 years' on the box but it only took me like six hours to complete

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

MajorBonnet posted:

He's a dude, she's a dude, we're all dudes.

Not me. I'm a gentleman.

*smugly tips fedora*

(are fedora wearing neckbeards still a thing, even?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

mystes posted:

The way this is phrased is really weird to me because reading the whole thing it seems like the issue is most likely that they were at the OP's place and the boyfriend didn't want to take of his shirt because he would have had to not have a shirt on or wear one of the OP's shirts but it's worded in a way that makes it almost seem like the boyfriend just really wanted to wear a bean stained shirt for some reason?

It made me laugh when they said it was a comfort thing, I'm sure they just meant the BF understandably likes clothes he's used to wearing, but it does make it sound like the guy just likes beans on his shirt