Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The problem with Diablo style ARPGs is that game developers saw degenerates endlessly grinding bosses in Diablo 2 for that 1/100000 drop chance rune or god roll unique and thought that was the entire point of the genre and decided to make all future entries in the genre mindless loot pinata clicking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

skill slime molds

don't waste time with discrete branches of skills, just squoosh them out in all directions

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I started a new character in Chronicon because of this thread. Killed a bunch of mobs by hitting them with lightning arrows and it felt great. Game good.

Zereth's post certainly made me consider reinstalling it; the "Putting points into the tree raises the Mastery Bar" is how it should be in all games with that sort of system :argh:

...But I just snagged Helldivers, and Last Epoch finally gets its last 2 Subclasses at the end of the month next week, so maybe I shouldn't fatigue myself on Diablolikes [more than I already am]

edit; since everyone's talking about ARPGs, just wanted to share this video that was posted in the LE thread 🙃
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IFY3gblZ28

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 12, 2024

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I have something like 10 different hangups with ARPGs (including their desperate adherence to D2, hello friends).

A relevant one I've been pondering is that I really dislike open-ended build crafting. Give me a tight, closed system to play around with, like the kind you see in action roguelikes and survivor games and I'm in system mastery heaven. But once it's a question of somehow mixing and matching stats, skills, and gear across thousands of tiny permutations and also needing to juggle that against the gear itself being randomly dropped and/or generated (can't imagine why every single modern ARPG has third party sites listing out every last unique item and where to get them) my interest completely dissolves.

Also the second getting a build any further requires actively farming for poo poo, I'm out. Every game has a slightly different bandaid on the problem, but usually they conveniently just add another layer of gambling on top.

Which I guess is the real absolute poison, all of that manufactured and manipulative randomness that pushes the exact same buttons as literal slot machines. Absolutely repulsive.

Edit: Yes I'm aware Vampire Survivors was made by a dude who designed slot machines.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 12, 2024

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

ponzicar posted:

The problem with Diablo style ARPGs is that game developers saw degenerates endlessly grinding bosses in Diablo 2 for that 1/100000 drop chance rune or god roll unique and thought that was the entire point of the genre and decided to make all future entries in the genre mindless loot pinata clicking.

I like the streamlining D3 did. A random pot of ashes dropping a legendary amulet that completely changes how I play my character is the dopamine hit I crave, baby.

Also I really like to gamble when it's not costing me irl money.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 12, 2024

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
D3 is the only ARPG that really clicked for me. Even in its best state it still has lots of problems, but so many of its ideas were good ones that just needed more refinement.

Seasons + Greater Rifts also really helped me stick with it longer. I need some structure to play off of in order to get into a power accumulation loop.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

The Lone Badger posted:

Does The Ascent count? It's dystopian cyberpunk.

The Ascent and its single expansion/dlc are quite good sci-fi and grimdark (usually cyberpunk dystopia matches “grimdark” to me, anyway).

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Last demo impression for NextFest, though technically it isn't tied to it and is still available is:

Holstin - WOW

Polish survival horror game where you're investigating a town overrun with slime to find your friend. Has an interesting graphical style where it blends 2D pixel art and 3D rendering with camera rotation.

Demo contains two stages. One has you exploring a house, collecting items, solving puzzles and so on, with a focus on creating paths through tentacles that retract from light, and using camera rotation to find objects you might not notice at other angles. The other stage focuses on combat, where you have a stamina meter that's tied to your health which can be spent on kicks and dodges, stealth through crouching and turning your flashlight off, and gunplay using an over-the-shoulder view that focuses on dismemberment (head makes them unable to track you, legs make them unable to chase, arms make them unable to grab, etc).

It's pretty cool and I think it will hit with the survival horror crowd. Reminds me of Signalis, in a way. I'll admit that rotating the camera can be a bit tedious at times, and there is some awkwardness with the combat mechanics in general (for one, some people really don't like that firing a gun can sap stamina), but overall I think they work and some intentional clunkiness is expected with survival horror to evoke a certain mood of disempowerment.

------

With that, it looks like the NextFest is over. Thanks again to so many people for giving their impressions!

If I were to sum up my impressions:

S TIER (personal top picks)
Abiotic Factor
Death of a Wish
Holstin
Pacific Drive
Star Trucker

A TIER (solid recommendations)
Children of the Sun
Crow Country
Emberward
MULLET MAD JACK
Pepper Grinder
Perennial Order
Rotwood
Tales of Kenzera: ZAU

B TIER (intriguing picks, maybe a little rough or limited appeal)
Berserk Boy
CIPHER_ZERO
Demon Spore
Eden's Guardian
Ereban Shadow Legacy
Lightyear Frontier
Lysfanga The Time Shift Warrior
Never Grave: The Witch and The Curse
Outcast A New Beginning

C TIER (a bit weird or rough or too early to tell, but curious to keep an eye on)
Deathbound
Duel Corp
Out of Action
Raw Metal
Scars of Mars
STAND-ALONE
Underspace

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 12, 2024

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I really liked how the first Guild Wars handled builds. You collected skills for your character, but could only have I think 8 equipped when you roll into combat zones, so a 'build' was just a collection of skills that work well together. Back then my friends still played video games, so we could plan builds specifically to play with each other. Maybe it also had stats and trees; it was a really long time ago, but I don't remember any of that existing.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Oh poo poo, who was the guy who was wanting Tetris Effect to go on sale? It’s 50% off today.

Thank you for willing this into existence as I’ve been wanting to pick it up too.

How does the multiplayer aspect of this go? If I buy my wife a copy, can we just play 1v1?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

skeletronics posted:

I really liked how the first Guild Wars handled builds. You collected skills for your character, but could only have I think 8 equipped when you roll into combat zones, so a 'build' was just a collection of skills that work well together. Back then my friends still played video games, so we could plan builds specifically to play with each other. Maybe it also had stats and trees; it was a really long time ago, but I don't remember any of that existing.

The first Guild Wars is still my favorite MMO and I go back and play it some every once in a while, there's just nothing exactly like it and I was very disappointed in GW2.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man

Mr E posted:

The first Guild Wars is still my favorite MMO and I go back and play it some every once in a while, there's just nothing exactly like it and I was very disappointed in GW2.

It was great. Disappointing I haven't seen anyone do something like it since. I agree that 2 was a letdown, but I did appreciate that they gave you XP (or some other reward; my memory isn't great) just for looking at pretty vistas.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

So I like a lot of what Tokyo Psychodemic is doing. It's a detective VN that combines Live2D animation (which is actually pretty decent for that style), 3D environments and live-action FMV. There's a lot more interactivity than your standard VN (though the case in the demo is really railroaded and hand-holding, so I hope they just let you do your thing later on), as you have an evidence board, computers and a VHS editing deck. You zoom in on photos to take pictures, you watch recorded footage and scroll through or back & forth, and you have access to a very silly interpretation of the dark web where you send evidence to a message board thread and get explanations/recommendations from other anonymous members of your team. This game takes place in an alternate 2020s where Covid was basically way more deadly, and the police colluded with a psychic cult... so it's a kind of wild setting although we'll see just where it goes with that. The translation needs a little smoothing out... it's not LumineNight bad or anything, but it's a little stiff, and there needs to be better transitions between characters speaking when there are multiple characters in a scene. Estimated Release Date: TBA, probably 2025

It's pretty unusual when I can say "ah, cyberpunk, that's a novel setting", but it is kind of a novel setting for survival horror (and no, Observer doesn't count). Hollowbody is from Headware Games (Chasing Static) and it is basically Silent Hill 2, but less flesh, more apocalyptic future with hologram TVs and flying cars. The demo largely takes place in an abandoned apartment block, and so it's a lot of going through very similar looking rooms filled with trash, which I'd say is a bad thing, but... that's kind of what a lot of Silent Hill 2 was, lol. I hope the full game will have a live map like most of the classic survival horrors do, so rooms can be checked off and such. The dev added tank controls as an option but I was fine with plain analog (I've played my fair share of PS1 RPGs!!). Inability to adjust the camera when it's not fixed, though... I don't like that. This is a one-man dev so best of luck to them. Estimated Release Date: TBA but again probably 2025

And with that I've played everything I super wanted to play in the Next Fest. I still have a couple of demos downloaded (Oddsparks, Holstin, Corpus Edax) but I think they'll be time-agnostic and stick around for a while, so there's no hurry. A real banger of a Next Fest with a ton of games wishlisted for me, personally. Roll that beautiful tier footage:

Favorites - Children of the Sun, Crow Country, Crypt Custodian, Hauntii, Islands of Insight, Mouthwashing, Pepper Grinder, Ultros, Until Then
Pretty Neat - Abiotic Factor, Bears in Space, Biomorph, Bore Blasters, Cash Cow DX, Eden's Guardian, Emberward, Ereban: Shadow Legacy, Kill it with Fire 2, Pampas & Selene, Rollin' Rascal, Roman Sands RE:Build, Tales of Kenzera: ZAU, They Speak from the Abyss: Zenith, Times & Galaxy, Tiny Terry's Turbo Trip, Tokyo Psychodemic
Interesting - An English Haunting, Botany Manor, Chicken Police 2: Into the Hive, Cyber Manhunt: New World, Death of the Reprobate, Death Trick: Double Blind, Duck Detective, Eclipsium, Hollowbody, INDIKA, Lightyear Frontier, Magical Delicacy, Mendacium, Murder on Space Station 52, Telebbit, Terra Memoria, The Hidden Art of Innkeeping, The Posthumous Investigation, Umbraclaw
Just OK - Ancient Mind, Awaken: Astral Blade, #Blud, Devil's Hideout, Frogun Encore, Horn of Balance, LumineNight, Mark of the Deep, Minesweeper Collector 2, Mullet Mad Jack, Scars of Mars, Summerhouse, The Puzzle Maker: Cebba's Odyssey, Toree Saturn
Mid - Aarik and the Ruined Kingdom, Alruna and the Necro-Industrialists, Caesar's Revenge, Emberbane, Gift, Gloomy Juncture, Madzik, Marron's Day

And a timeline of when some of my top ranked games are releasing...

Q1 2024
Bears in Space (March 22nd)
Biomorph (March 4th)
Bore Blasters (March 8th)
Cash Cow DX (Friday!)
Islands of Insight (Tomorrow!)
Lightyear Frontier (March 19th)
Mouthwashing
Ultros (Tomorrow!)

Q2 2024
Abiotic Factor (May 2nd)
Hauntii
Terra Memoria

TBA 2024
Crow Country
Crypt Custodian
Pepper Grinder
Times & Galaxy

TBA (possibly 2025)
Children of the Sun
Hollowbody
Rollin' Rascal
Tokyo Psychodemic
Until Then

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 12, 2024

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Radiation Cow posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for digital jigsaw puzzle games? I've tried Pixel Puzzles Ultimate, but holy hell, the fact that I can't stick pieces together is very annoying. I'd also love something that has larger puzzles and the ability to control puzzle shapes (don't like weird jagged edges and poo poo).

Yes, I am an old woman, why do you ask? :colbert:

There are a lot of free ones online. Not a hobby I have, but here's Google's results.

One of my friends says this is their favorite online one: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/

exquisite tea posted:

The correct answer is Nox.

Nox was amazing. Is GOG the best place to get it? I didn't see it on Steam.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

https://imgur.com/a/MTDrbG0
what the hell is this

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

better be fuckin deluxe at that price

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

AAAA pricing.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Free stuff in point shop because the Remote Play Fest: https://store.steampowered.com/points/shop/app/2831890

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

be grateful it's even on sale, there was like an 18 month window where bamco forgot to put any of the souls games on sale ever

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I tried the Homeworld 3 demo but the camera kept moving (teleporting) every time I tried to rotate it. Almost the first objective is to rotate the camera to target a specific ship so...RIP :(

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
they didn't put them on sale because there was a giant glaring critical arbitrary-code-execution bug in the netcode so they slammed the emergency button and turned the multiplayer off entirely. so the games were 'broken' that whole time.

then they took their sweet time patching it out because they were prioritizing working on elden ring

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

they didn't put them on sale because there was a giant glaring critical arbitrary-code-execution bug in the netcode so they slammed the emergency button and turned the multiplayer off entirely. so the games were 'broken' that whole time.

then they took their sweet time patching it out because they were prioritizing working on elden ring

an edition of DSIII is not deluxe unless it has elden ring's patch on the dogs' animation

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

repiv posted:

be grateful it's even on sale, there was like an 18 month window where bamco forgot to put any of the souls games on sale ever
Even on sale it's still more expensive to buy on Steam than it is to buy a physical copy at retail price. DS3 in particular has been absurdly priced for years.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I should buy Dark Souls Remastered at some point but DS1 with dsfix is working fine so :effort: and also saving 20$ is worth it given how loving expensive dentists are

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I logged into steam today and found that I have a yellow button on top of my UI that says "You have an account alert" on it, but when I click on it nothing happens. I bought Helldivers 2 last night, and I recently played in the Vermintide 2 Versus beta which required me to put in a key, but other than that I haven't done anything unusual with my account. Is it anything to be worried about? I haven't received any emails from Steam about anything other than redeeming the key and buying HD2.

E. Never mind, i got the window to pop up and fixed it.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 13, 2024

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

skeletronics posted:

I wish I had gotten more of a chance to play Guild Wars. It still had a lot of MMO cruft that I don't like but the core gameplay definitely seemed like it had legs.

For me, if we're including MMOs in the equation, then City of Heroes is always the correct answer. :colbert:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

John Murdoch posted:

I wish I had gotten more of a chance to play Guild Wars. It still had a lot of MMO cruft that I don't like but the core gameplay definitely seemed like it had legs.

For me, if we're including MMOs in the equation, then City of Heroes is always the correct answer. :colbert:

GW1 is still up and playable... and it's on steam!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

+1 wishlist for Abiotic Factor, tried the demo coop for an hour and a half and it's looking really promising. The amount we played already felt confident and finished besides a bit of placeholder art and weirdly low FPS in a couple rooms. I wish the exploration-to-menu time ratio was a bit closer to the subnautica end of the scale, but it's still way better than the worst of the genre like don't starve, and the survival bars decrease at a pretty non-intrusive speed. this is one you'd probably want to play with at least 1 friend though, I imagine the inventory limitations are a bit much when solo. the game's theme rocks, love to be a lovely half life 1 scientist who survives by wearing filing cabinet for armor

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

FishMcCool posted:

skill trees ... having to invest 214 points unlocking nodes giving conditional +0.0143% buffs in order to unlock the node that turns me into a god when I sneeze.

AC: Valhalla has this for some reason and it sucks so much

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Owl Inspector posted:

+1 wishlist for Abiotic Factor, tried the demo coop for an hour and a half and it's looking really promising. The amount we played already felt confident and finished besides a bit of placeholder art and weirdly low FPS in a couple rooms. I wish the exploration-to-menu time ratio was a bit closer to the subnautica end of the scale, but it's still way better than the worst of the genre like don't starve, and the survival bars decrease at a pretty non-intrusive speed. this is one you'd probably want to play with at least 1 friend though, I imagine the inventory limitations are a bit much when solo. the game's theme rocks, love to be a lovely half life 1 scientist who survives by wearing filing cabinet for armor

In game proximity voip allowed me to curse out my friend when he wandered into the bathroom where I was taking a poo poo and started drinking out of the sink like a animal

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A tongue crab followed me and a friend into the can and it jumped at him just as he closed the door to poo poo and got in the stall. It attacked him for the entire duration but unfortunately? you are invincible while pooping.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Kibayasu posted:

A tongue crab followed me and a friend into the can and it jumped at him just as he closed the door to poo poo and got in the stall. It attacked him for the entire duration but unfortunately? you are invincible while pooping.
this made me forget what forum I was reading

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Gripper posted:

this made me forget what forum I was reading

Yeah I was gonna say, did you mean to post this in Pittsburgh LAN or w/e

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you know, you know.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Kibayasu posted:

you are invincible while pooping.

I believe this. in my heart.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Kibayasu posted:

you are invincible while pooping.
Elvis wasn't!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.gamesradar.com/ea-flop-...uly-awful-idea/

Something tells me that if DOOM Eternal came out today, it would have no issues selling like hot cakes.
Considering using all that money to make a good game next time, maybe?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Game developers have to stop making titles like Colon: Noun Doer of Place because I can't keep any of them straight.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yes I'm sure the game looking like a singleplayer "Destiny-like", or the absurd system requirements on PC, those didn't have anything to do with it.

If only they made it an actual GaaS fart, it could have joined success stories like Babylon's Fall, Marvel's Avengers, Suicide Squad or Bioware classics like Anthem and many other contenders for "wanted to be Destiny but was not".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

orcane posted:

Yes I'm sure the game looking like a singleplayer "Destiny-like", or the absurd system requirements on PC, those didn't have anything to do with it.

Or the pricetag, or the marketing.

I have no idea what the game is like, but I sure know that it's running UE5. If a game is so unremarkable that the choice of engine needs to be mentioned in every single media piece, that has to be a red flag.