Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Boxturret posted:

If it was the only moon whale and the entire universe would have shunned us for killing it, they should have sent someone to explain what was going on:colbert:

The regular movement of the tides is their language for "Hey everything's okay" and the sudden wild tidal shifts were their language for,"Okay the baby is gonna hatch soon, but everything will be fine!" and it's not their fault the human race is illiterate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
So I recently realized that over the years, I've never actually sat down and watched Meglos, from Tom Baker's final season, so I did just that the other day.

...yep, that sure was four episodes of 1980s Doctor Who, all right.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My most vivid memory of that episode for years was the Doctor and Romana realizing they were in a time loop and reenacting it in order to confuse the loop and break it. Looking back on it that doesn't make a lick of sense but I thought it was incredibly loving cool as a kid, which is the most important thing.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Jerusalem posted:

My most vivid memory of that episode for years was the Doctor and Romana realizing they were in a time loop and reenacting it in order to confuse the loop and break it. Looking back on it that doesn't make a lick of sense but I thought it was incredibly loving cool as a kid, which is the most important thing.

I liked Meglos just watching them on a monitor screen before shapeshifting into the Doctor, without any explanation as to how he's able to do that, or how he's able to see them in the TARDIS on the screen, or indeed how he's able to trap them in the time loop in the first goddamn place.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think his race were supposed to have been capable of great technological feats? Which does beg the question why he didn't just build another dodecahedron instead of having to go steal the old one? Unless of course maybe he was just the dumb jock of the race who wiped out the smart ones and then basically ran with whatever old tech was still left lying around?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Jerusalem posted:

I think his race were supposed to have been capable of great technological feats? Which does beg the question why he didn't just build another dodecahedron instead of having to go steal the old one? Unless of course maybe he was just the dumb jock of the race who wiped out the smart ones and then basically ran with whatever old tech was still left lying around?

Considering who he hired to help him achieve his evil plans, I'm going to assume Meglos was the Michael Scott of his race.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

quote:

A version of the creature also existed, and went through similar events, in the Daft Dimension. However, after the creature laid the new egg, Clara Oswald questioned how the creature had laid an egg bigger than itself. In answer, the Doctor demonstrated that the "new moon" was extremely small but in closer orbit to compensate, snatching it out of the air. (COMIC: The Daft Dimension 480)

even the official magazine comic is calling it dumb as poo poo

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It's important to remember that Dr. Who is a show for children. Sometimes it is a show for children who don't know what the moon is, or even what words are.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Watched The Happiness Patrol for the first time yesterday as part of a season 25 + 26 watch through. drat they figured out how to make Doctor Who good huh. They got seven or eight really good stories in basically in a row right before they got taken out behind the barn. drat.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

A.o.D. posted:

It's important to remember that Dr. Who is a show for children. Sometimes it is a show for children who don't know what the moon is, or even what words are.

My little Timmy got sent home after he got in a massive fight with another boy who laughed at him when he said that the moon was an egg full of spiders.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Zulfa-Thura's resources were exhausted, so obviously they were entirely out of twelves.

Meglos at least has late-era Tom Baker interested in what's going on. It may be poorly made and sometimes cheap looking, but it isn't boring when Tom or Lalla are on camera.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DoctorWhat posted:

Watched The Happiness Patrol for the first time yesterday as part of a season 25 + 26 watch through. drat they figured out how to make Doctor Who good huh. They got seven or eight really good stories in basically in a row right before they got taken out behind the barn. drat.

Yeah 25 and 26 are both above average, generally. There’s some not great moments, but everything raises it up. 7 and Ace are an S-tier TARDIS team.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

DoctorWhat posted:

The Happiness Patrol is far better than it has any right to be. The scene where he unsticks and resticks the Kandyman's legs objectively shouldn't work but it somehow does. You really see this side of Seven who is just a scheming chaos agent.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Happiness Patrol is worth it for this alone.

https://youtu.be/g6c6AxhAal0?si=KTs__oVf8rWEA_5r

Pretty much the perfect 7 scene :allears:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I've run out of Capaldi and I want more :(

Season 10 was real good except for that bit where for some reason Peter Harness was allowed to write an episode again.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/la_bonj/status/1748790349554761923
https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1748815163778621791

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The one of Tom finding a tenner is amazing :lol:

lines posted:

The Happiness Patrol is far better than it has any right to be. The scene where he unsticks and resticks the Kandyman's legs objectively shouldn't work but it somehow does. You really see this side of Seven who is just a scheming chaos agent.

I honestly was creeped the gently caress out when the Kandyman's "corpse" comes barreling down that conveyer belt.

It SHOULDN'T be creepy, it should be cheap and laughable, and for many people it probably is... but something about the speed and suddenness with which it arrived really gets to me.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Kill The Moon would have been much more interesting if it stuck to what the premise seemed like in the first fifteen minutes which is "moon's haunted full of spiders"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Doctor insisting they weren't spiders was just embarrassing. They spun webs and kept dead people as food in them!

Warthur
May 2, 2004

The referendum in Kill The Moon is particularly goofy.

- Did it not occur to Clara that governments could fix the vote in their countries by turning off the electricity grid?

- Why is the voting so utterly one-sided? Even if the alternative to "go ahead and kill the moon" is "um, guess we'll probably die" you'll get accelerationist weirdos and other dissenters, surely.

- What was Clara's plan if the vote wasn't 100% for or against (ie, what you would get in an real world referendum on any subject)? How did she plan on judging it if it was close-run? Europe has dimmed by 20% but Africa has dimmed by 70%; what do we do then? Do we have current population numbers to hand for this future era (when Clara's assumptions about populations may be wrong, China might be an uninhabited wasteland in this decade for all she knows)?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Didn't the episode air in broad daylight and all? I remember reading that. So the (UK) viewer couldn't even have fun switching lights on and off.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Warthur posted:

- Did it not occur to Clara that governments could fix the vote in their countries by turning off the electricity grid?

- Why is the voting so utterly one-sided? Even if the alternative to "go ahead and kill the moon" is "um, guess we'll probably die" you'll get accelerationist weirdos and other dissenters, surely.

- What was Clara's plan if the vote wasn't 100% for or against (ie, what you would get in an real world referendum on any subject)? How did she plan on judging it if it was close-run? Europe has dimmed by 20% but Africa has dimmed by 70%; what do we do then? Do we have current population numbers to hand for this future era (when Clara's assumptions about populations may be wrong, China might be an uninhabited wasteland in this decade for all she knows)?

In Clara's "defence" she blatantly doesn't give a gently caress about the results of the vote and immediately ignores them when it seems like things aren't going her way.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
"Guys, there's a crazy lady on the moon who says everyone's going to die if we don't all turn our lights out."

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Warthur posted:

It isn’t a well-considered plan, just a desperate attempt to avoid having to make the decision herself unilaterally. There’s probably an interesting point there about how she’d accept the Doctor making such a decision for all of humanity, and how she doesn’t accept the results of the “vote,” but their actual argument afterward doesn’t fully address such a point and the Doctor’s reticence seems somewhat uncharacteristic.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Narsham posted:

It isn’t a well-considered plan, just a desperate attempt to avoid having to make the decision herself unilaterally. There’s probably an interesting point there about how she’d accept the Doctor making such a decision for all of humanity, and how she doesn’t accept the results of the “vote,” but their actual argument afterward doesn’t fully address such a point and the Doctor’s reticence seems somewhat uncharacteristic.

You can make a good story out of Kill the Moon. Hell, you can make a good metaphorical story out of Kill the Moon because the better, obvious metaphor of "save the mother or the child but not both" is right there. Give me an hour of the Doctor trying to magic up a solution and then people having to make a hard choice with consequences because there was no other solution. But there isn't a single element of Kill the Moon that works in the story that aired, and many of those elements are pretty drat toxic at even a cursory examination.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Hell, you can make a good metaphorical story out of Kill the Moon because the better, obvious metaphor of "save the mother or the child but not both" is right there.

That's the plot though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

That's the plot though.

That might be what they thought the plot was but the message winds up muddled; there's no real pro-space dragon arguments beyond "it's a baby!", for example. And there was no "mother" involved in the decision, metaphorical or otherwise which meant no emotional connection. There was no ethical delema unless you're anti-abortion; it's a shame to have to kill baby space dragon but sometimes you have to put down wild animals who are dangers to people and you won't find many people arguing otherwise.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Random Stranger posted:

That might be what they thought the plot was but the message winds up muddled; there's no real pro-space dragon arguments beyond "it's a baby!", for example. And there was no "mother" involved in the decision, metaphorical or otherwise which meant no emotional connection. There was no ethical delema unless you're anti-abortion; it's a shame to have to kill baby space dragon but sometimes you have to put down wild animals who are dangers to people and you won't find many people arguing otherwise.

As people have said, they didn't think it was the plot. I'm not sure they thought at all.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

The Earth is the mother. I mean, not literally, but on a metaphorical level that's what makes sense to me. She's been around for longer and her survival is threatened by the birth of a new "child".

I think you're mischaracterizing the "save the moon" arguments too. It's not just that it's a baby, it's that it's a unique creature whose survival doesn't necessarily impact the survival of life on Earth. You've also got Chloe, who the episode uses to make arguments about legacy and modelling good behaviour -- i.e. do we want kids like Chloe growing up and replicating the sort of pre-emptive action that Hermione Norris is pushing here? And if they do, then does humanity really get to make moral arguments for their own survival when this situation rolls back around in the future? That's the ethical dilemma here.

The arguments in favour of killing the moon depend on the creature being definitely a threat. Which, using normal human logic, it is -- don't get me wrong I'd have been all in on frying the thing. But this is one of those annoying Doctor Who stories that only work in a Doctor Who universe where everything bends to a Doctor Who morality such that everything will work out in the end if you just hold out for the reality breaking third option.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
One thing about Doctor Who's format is that at least many (not all) of the worst episodes are endlessly discussable. There's a lot of unremarkable bad, but Kill the Moon, Timelash, etc are just fascinating.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Random Stranger posted:

You can make a good story out of Kill the Moon.

They already did, it's called The Beast Below. All of humanity overwhelmingly votes for "condemn the big space creature" over "condemn humanity", the Doctor doesn't just magically fix everything, the companion unilaterally overrides humanity's vote and presses the irreversible "condemn humanity" button, it turns out everything works out and humanity isn't destroyed because it was a nice giant space creature.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
And at least in Beast Below's case it wasn't just a total shot in the dark, Amy actually sees the space whale demonstrating affection for the children. It's also a nice demonstration of how a good Doctor/companion dynamic works, while the Doctor is hyperfixating on the problem presented to him and assuming everything is all down to him again, Amy is noticing the small details and seeing human empathy.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

lmfao awesome

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

And at least in Beast Below's case it wasn't just a total shot in the dark, Amy actually sees the space whale demonstrating affection for the children. It's also a nice demonstration of how a good Doctor/companion dynamic works, while the Doctor is hyperfixating on the problem presented to him and assuming everything is all down to him again, Amy is noticing the small details and seeing human empathy.

Just ate everyone else though lol.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

So is Jodie Whittaker just immune to fall damage or something

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SirSamVimes posted:

Post-regen invulnerability.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

SirSamVimes posted:

Her character was supposed to be the dead one in Broadchurch, but she kept surviving being thrown off the cliff, so they rewrote the story to be about a dead kid instead.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Doesn't the Tenth Doctor fall from orbit at one point or am I forgetting.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
In The End Of Time he jumps out of a moving spaceship from hundreds of feet up. Though in that case his fall was broken by a glass ceiling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Open Source Idiom posted:

Doesn't the Tenth Doctor fall from orbit at one point or am I forgetting.

Yes but his death was time-locked by Ood prophecy to the radiation chamber/Wilf knocking. He literally couldn't die until then.