Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Jake is a writer who probably wrote it down eventually. Dax was a hot mess for a while who could easily have blurted it out to the wrong person. And if he did tell his doctor, well, is Bashir actually any good at keep secrets?
Bashir: "I'll have you know that I am a firm believer in medical ethics!"

[Turns Bareil into a robot, wipes Kurn's memory, sleeps with a patient]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Should we get one of the people who can read minds or turn invisible or have bulletproof skin? No, we need someone who can fix appliances.

well, yeah? there's always a need for someone to repair appliances. o'brien can access places and snoop around because he really is an engineer and he really is fixing poo poo.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

not a whole lotta people in the future with the integrity and reliability of a union man

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Small Strange Bird posted:

Bashir: "I'll have you know that I am a firm believer in medical ethics!"

[Turns Bareil into a robot, wipes Kurn's memory, sleeps with a patient]

He didn't go into which medical ethics he believes in; I mean Khan's ethics for augments or Nausicaan best practices and requirements probably differ from the lame Starfleet ethics regulations to a degree.

Hell, even just Denobulan doctors have this "its OK to play god and deny medical services based on your own believes" clause.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
you know for being founding members of the federation you dont see much of the andorians or the tellarites

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
too much makeup for background appearances

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Here's my lawyer gamble:

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I don’t know whom I’d pick to be my lawyer, but I definitely want Quark as my forensic accountant.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TrashMammal posted:

then they make holograms of you and sentence them to hard labor in the dilithium mines :(

During discovery the Federation was using forced prison labour for high-danger mining operations.

also, gently caress discovery.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

That Klingon lawyer was pretty good. Also, cheap. Call him up Larry!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Anniversary tradition in STO is to make a Federation ship gently caress another faction's ship and have a baby: this year it's the Defiant and a Jem'Hadar bugship.

Or if you'd prefer pink

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

That's a good looking ship. Seems nimble.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

It looks like SR-2 Normandy with AWACS-disc.

It looks better than most STO originals though, but like that toilet seat ship released few years ago, if you think about it for a moment its not obvious which way is front.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I was always a fan of the Jem'Hadar's whole dusty purple scheme, it's quite tasteful.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikeJF posted:

Or if you'd prefer pink

Don't let the B5 fans see or they'll get mad! :ohdear:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I remember my extremely colorblind friend in highschool was a fervent lover of Babylon 5 ships because of the color schemes.

I like 'em because I'm poisoned by Chris Foss art.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Make sure to get sued in Federation space. At worst, you go to cushy Federation prison.

According to the pilot of Voyager, it seems that The Federation turned Australia back into a prison colony.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Jake is a writer who probably wrote it down eventually. Dax was a hot mess for a while who could easily have blurted it out to the wrong person. And if he did tell his doctor, well, is Bashir actually any good at keep secrets?

Is the guy who concealed his genetically augmented status from Starfleet for a decade plus any good at keeping secrets? Lemme think about that one

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Dabir posted:

Is the guy who concealed his genetically augmented status from Starfleet for a decade plus any good at keeping secrets? Lemme think about that one

So good at concealing it he concealed it from himself

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

MikeJF posted:

During discovery the Federation was using forced prison labour for high-danger mining operations.

also, gently caress discovery.

In the VOY pilot Tom Paris has a line about one of the wings of the prison he's in (I think it's in New Zealand) really heating up during the day, which implies they don't have AC, which to me always stood out as strangely punitive for a Star Trek Earth-is-paradise prison.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

They have A/C, Paris just didn't like moving when a sunbeam fell on him through a window. Getting him up for mandatory arts appreciation class was a chore for the guards.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
He’s saying it really heats up during the day but more in the sense that everyone just starts making out in the day time, not actual temperature.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Maybe "it really heats up" is a metaphor for people losing their tempers because the Chateau Le Blanc '68 is served room temperature instead of slightly chilled

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

In the VOY pilot Tom Paris has a line about one of the wings of the prison he's in (I think it's in New Zealand) really heating up during the day, which implies they don't have AC, which to me always stood out as strangely punitive for a Star Trek Earth-is-paradise prison.

Was that Tom Paris? I could have sworn that was Ensign Ro's jail anecdote.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Hmm, maybe it was Ensign Ro.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

They bored the hell out of Paris when he spent 30 days in the hole on the ship for trying to help a guy commit eco-terrorism. It was basically stated outright that visitors weren't allowed to chitchat with him and that was the point. Ship rules may be different than earth prison.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Paris goes to jail a lot. In the one episode he and Harry end up in the alien space jail and Harry ends up beating him up with a pipe. Another great use of a pipe in Star Trek.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Paris threw a hunger strike when not allowed 24/7 access to his collection of vintage 20th century entertainment

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

redshirt posted:

Paris threw a hunger strike when not allowed 24/7 access to his collection of vintage 20th century entertainment

it was all replicated, anyway. he didn't have the opportunity to bring personal effects along because he wasn't supposed to be a member of the crew.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

paris could have replicated a trans am but instead he replicated a camaro. he's trash.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Maybe "it really heats up" is a metaphor for people losing their tempers because the Chateau Le Blanc '68 is served room temperature instead of slightly chilled

This reference is appreciated.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

paris could have replicated a trans am but instead he replicated a camaro. he's trash.

It was a bitchin camero.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Ugh, missed opportunity to replicate The Bandit and wear the cowboy hat.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

some folk just aren’t wired for post-scarcity. might as well dump ‘em all in mad max land where they can live that wannabe warlord lifestyle without bothering everyone else

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

does the enterprise have an office manager

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

actually we never see anyone drinking or eating during meetings, how unrealistic

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Starfleet prison is probably worse than the Federation prison, what with all the paramilitary stuff.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

GolfHole posted:

actually we never see anyone drinking or eating during meetings, how unrealistic

It was banned after an unfortunate incident between Spock and Kirk (Not James, the other one)

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

GolfHole posted:

They used to, but Worf kept biting the heads off live animals in the middle of Geordie giving routine maintenance reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Me making license plates in Federation prison:

Computer, replicate a license plate, designation "P-CARD DUNE BUGGY"

Computer, replicate a license plate, designation "T. PARIS P*SSYCRUSHA"