Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I like when 3 people load into someone's ship at the same time, clipping through each other as they come out of cryosleep

Helps sell the utter meat factory disposable nature of my enlistment

Sometimes I get spawned behind the cryopods and I'm just stuck there lol

it's not a blocker though- if everyone jumps in the pods, it starts a 30 second timer where it'll force you into a pod as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If we're to assume that every liberated planet is a Super Earth colony, they have a population numbering in the tens, if not hundreds of billions, which would make throwing bodies at multiple eternal hellwars not just possible, but economical.

In the glorious brightness of the XX millennium, there is only Democracy.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Internet Explorer posted:

I think Darktide was a bit more thoroughly broken and the itemization/progression was definitely worse, but the rage over "how dare you have a cash shop while the game released in a broken state" is like night and day from here.
Haha, I see what you’re saying. Both games have had some gnarly launch issues. If anything I think the things that make the difference are that the Helldivers starting warbond gives you more options to work through than DT did, but also gives you a decent amount of premium currency to mess around with, plus the game isn’t too bad about gathering premium currency once you know what you’re doing. And I think the most key is that there’s plenty of meta-progression to work on and that it all integrates well with the main game loop.

In Darktide the cash shop really stood out because iirc it was real money only with ridiculous amounts of FOMO built in, the free unlocks you got were all extremely milquetoast, and while the gameplay was fantastic the rest of the game was terrible. It really doesn’t look great when one of the only fully-fleshed (and fully working!) parts of the game was the cash shop

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Occasionally I've been on a map where all the resources spots etc are shown, without having to be found. Is this a case of the map being interfered with/a bonus type thing, or is there an upgrade you can get that does this?

Also lol hot drat do people ever get salty when you use a mortar sentry in a "Kill X amount of bugs" mission. What's wrong, Helldiver, don't enjoy being in a cramped area while freedom friends rain down at random???

Fake edit: Fun new bug as I type this - everyone was stuck on the "pod crashing down" screen for about three minutes, until everyone quit and I finally landed.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

idiotsavant posted:

Haha, I see what you’re saying. Both games have had some gnarly launch issues. If anything I think the things that make the difference are that the Helldivers starting warbond gives you more options to work through than DT did, but also gives you a decent amount of premium currency to mess around with, plus the game isn’t too bad about gathering premium currency once you know what you’re doing. And I think the most key is that there’s plenty of meta-progression to work on and that it all integrates well with the main game loop.

In Darktide the cash shop really stood out because iirc it was real money only with ridiculous amounts of FOMO built in, the free unlocks you got were all extremely milquetoast, and while the gameplay was fantastic the rest of the game was terrible. It really doesn’t look great when one of the only fully-fleshed (and fully working!) parts of the game was the cash shop

Definitely true, but the cash shop in Darktide was completely cosmetic.

Flint_Paper posted:

Occasionally I've been on a map where all the resources spots etc are shown, without having to be found. Is this a case of the map being interfered with/a bonus type thing, or is there an upgrade you can get that does this?

This means the radar station was captured in that drop/mission.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Those are the best missions to use them on though because the bugs always come from the same spots. Ive definitely gotten murdered more by mortars in regular missions where the bugs can just kinda come from everywhere

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
https://i.imgur.com/tb1hn1o.mp4

In other news, I got all my radar upgrades and I am loving perceiving

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 12, 2024

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Watch where you're standing!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

God drat fighting the robots certainly is another vibe altogether. I can definitely see the heavy armor coming more in use there than against the bugs since I was basically taking small arms fire the whole time and only needed to stim once or twice through the whole mission.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Diephoon posted:

https://i.imgur.com/tb1hn1o.mp4

In other news, I got all my radar upgrades and I am loving perceiving

woah, where is that armor passive from?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

https://i.imgur.com/iZIk5CM.mp4
Welcoming a virgin diver to the game.

https://i.imgur.com/WXnqHXf.mp4
Excellent physics.

https://i.imgur.com/XAQImWE.mp4
Impeccable physics.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 12, 2024

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Revitalized posted:

woah, where is that armor passive from?

So far the only scout armor I've gotten is the Infiltrator armor, from the first tier of the basic warbond. There's two more scout armors coming up at like 400+ medals spent. One is lower armor rating though, not sure if I'll use it regularly. Wish there was transmog because I've been wearing the same armor for my entire career so far.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Has the server maintenance solved any issues?

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

TescoBag posted:

I played my first quick play muti earlier today and lost connection before the mission ended so from my experience, no.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

TescoBag posted:

I had to retry matchmaking a few times before getting a success but I got through a couple on break and got the rewards for em so :shrug:

I think the true test will be in a couple hours once people start getting off work.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

One of these days I am going to 'accidentally' blow up the dropship by pasting it with the drop pod I would be coming in on.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I killed my first bile titan by myself in a party of 4

I killed my first bile titan with my droppod because i was like "lol guys look itll kill the monster lol"

And then it did

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol can you actually blow up the Pelican? That owns

1stGear posted:

If we're to assume that every liberated planet is a Super Earth colony, they have a population numbering in the tens, if not hundreds of billions, which would make throwing bodies at multiple eternal hellwars not just possible, but economical.

In the glorious brightness of the XX millennium, there is only Democracy.

Spartans Helldivers never die!

Now watch this drop

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol can you actually blow up the Pelican? That owns

Don't know, but I would be surprised if you couldn't

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

ZeusCannon posted:

I killed my first bile titan with my droppod because i was like "lol guys look itll kill the monster lol"

And then it did

My introduction to droppod kills was my buddy barely containing his laughter as he dropped it on my head while I'm dodging an entire robot army.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

New update on PC just hit

quote:

Hello Helldivers,
This morning, we gathered the best engineers Super Earth can muster to look at the main issues that are impacting your experience and to fix them.
These issues are caused mostly by having so many players in the game and server capacity creating unexpected behaviors.

Let me update you on what we did so far with the latest patch being deployed:

Server Capacity and log in access:
We have eased the authentication request overall.
We have improved error message visibility and added a countdown timer to clearly show when a new attempt will be made.

Progression and mission reward not being granted:
We fixed the daily and difficulty progression error
Based on the testing we have done we believe we have fixed future mission rewards but will continue to monitor this closely as it is our top priority
To compensate for lost rewards, we are working on an increased reward event

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I got the game on launch and wasn't able to play until this weekend. My literal first mission was an Impossible difficulty night map since I joined my friend's game. That was a ton of fun. I think I gained 4 levels upon completing it lol.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Unlucky7 posted:

Don't know, but I would be surprised if you couldn't

don't think so, seen it hit by orbital strike and it did nothing, you can bug it out though with some orbital effects and I think someones Rover made it jiggle around a bit before landing once

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Unlocked the AP Liberator and tried to make it work: it fares better against bots compared to the bugs, but the damage reduction is too much to make it worth using unfortunately, especially when combined with the other things you lose compared to the normal Liberator (2/3rd magazine size and no full auto so you have to work around the burst limiter). I get they didn't want to have a Helldivers 1 situation where the Justice (AP Liberator equivalent) pretty much superseded the Liberator on like, every difficulty past 3 or 4 but they probably went too hard in the other direction.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

In the first game the escape ship is invincible and you should always send off the mission with a shredder missile for good measure

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
i once saw two dropships spawn for some reason and they clipped through each other as we were extracting and killed everyone inside

still counted as a successful extraction though!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Internet Explorer posted:

It seems like you're not the only one! Maybe I'm biased, I think Darktide just absolutely nails the atmosphere. It's been great seeing the 'tide goons from my friends list on here and the games preference to put me in their games is pretty cool. It is interesting to see the reaction to this game versus Darktide. I think Darktide was a bit more thoroughly broken and the itemization/progression was definitely worse, but the rage over "how dare you have a cash shop while the game released in a broken state" is like night and day from here.

Loving this game, though. Machine gun + supply pack is amazing, keeping yourself and people topped up on supplies is super helpful.

Latest updates from their Discord:

I keep catching myself trying to dodge, slide, and wind up heavy attacks in Helldivers

HD2 lacking the athletic abilities of Darktide or even fucken Fortnite makes me feel like I'm paralyzed while playing it

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TescoBag posted:

Seems good to me, so far.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The HD2 experience

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

This is the most Looney Tunes rear end poo poo. :prepop:

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Potato Salad posted:

I keep catching myself trying to dodge, slide, and wind up heavy attacks in Helldivers

HD2 lacking the athletic abilities of Darktide or even fucken Fortnite makes me feel like I'm paralyzed while playing it

I don't mind the limited movement - it's very realistic in what it lets you do as a theoretical 19-yo super recruit lugging around a bunch of armor and weaponry, and it all fits really well with the gameplay in making things feel like even more of a desperate struggle for survival

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The only movement necessary is what was in the Helldiver training and we all know that Helldiver training is perfect

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah the fact that walking through mud or thick plants Sucks rear end gives everything a lotta texture. Yes I have incredible firepower at my disposal but I am still just Some Guy and I will get stuck in the mud and fukken die

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Its def different, but I like both

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Intellectually I know that stuff like the autocannon, RR, AT, or laser cannon are probably better in the support slot, but there really is a certain je ne sais quoi to picking up a machine gun and just letting it loving rip :black101:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...5863182783cfe7&

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

^^^
Edit:

Perestroika posted:

Intellectually I know that stuff like the autocannon, RR, AT, or laser cannon are probably better in the support slot, but there really is a certain je ne sais quoi to picking up a machine gun and just letting it loving rip :black101:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...5863182783cfe7&

How can you not when there exists voicelines of your helldiver laughing maniacally as he rips out 150 rounds of LMG goodness.

IMHO more games need to do this. Would being able to jump/dodge/whatever into cheeky spots and evade swarms be fun? Yeah. Would it still have the same sense of "It sucks here and everything is trying to kill me." that the game has now? No.

Example: Try dodging around rock pillars/whatever from a charger. That fact it doesn't give a poo poo and goes THRU everything to kill you makes them better/more terrifying to fight.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The brief delay :discourse:

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Does helldivers 2 have vehicles? They weren't very popular at high difficulties in the first one but I fuckin loved the apc's and buzzing around

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
This game conveys the feeling of being in an invasion more than any other game I've played. The touches like seeing other stratagems and drop pods going down in the skybox, the little bits of context building from the briefings and voicelines from the ship NPCs, its just enough to really sell the idea of this giant galactic war. And yeah, it's great that despite all the bombast about Helldivers being the best of the best, you're still wading through mud and garbage and are probably going to die like a dog for no reason for the glory of Liberty and Managed Democracy.

It's also extremely loving lol that special forces teams are being deployed on an incredibly dangerous missions to survey valuable ore veins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Shuka posted:

Does helldivers 2 have vehicles? They weren't very popular at high difficulties in the first one but I fuckin loved the apc's and buzzing around

Not yet, mechs are "coming soon"