Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
So you're saying continuing to use it is perfectly on brand because of how old he is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Well it made at least one birdwatcher mad.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
No you're thinking of that other entertainment event where roided out freaks get brain trauma for our amusement, the UFC

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The World Wildlife Fund uses scripts?!

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Grip it and rip it posted:

I'm pretty confident Taylor has some top tier around the clock ulta-VIP security services. If anyone can handle the basement dwelling rejects that are the lifeblood of the right wing psychosphere, it's T.Switft.

This has been documented. She's basically as well guarded as the president, she just doesn't feel the need to advertise it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Arcella posted:

https://x.com/dannyodwyer/status/1756900804269928867

I’m with O’Dwyer here. Ha ha funny tweet but gently caress this admin for supporting genocide, especially while clothing themselves in the civil rights movement during the Super Bowl.

A social media team tweeting a funny Dark Brandon meme or not has no impact on Israel happily warcriming in Gaza.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
Oh word?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
"The president has pardoned another turkey this thanksgiving how many other crimes has he pardoned?"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

How dare Joe Biden personally make an attempt at a humorous tweet while he is supporting Israel's really lovely bombing of Gaza.

Oh wait, I'm getting a note here that Joe Biden has a team of social media mooks that do it for him and he doesn't even know what posting is....

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Speaking of the social media team:

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ/status/1756862645360099534?t=rqJbOdKc2v2nYPP0q9I7eQ&s=19

And I'd still prefer to have him do more pressers and interviews, but if all they're going to do is take 12 minutes and reduce it into a 5-second stutter gently caress it and make jokes:

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1757089339501101228?t=nA78xQXLBA9YbgtrGo7nTw&s=19

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Defenestrategy posted:

How dare Joe Biden personally make an attempt at a humorous tweet while he is supporting Israel's really lovely bombing of Gaza.

Oh wait, I'm getting a note here that Joe Biden has a team of social media mooks that do it for him and he doesn't even know what posting is....

There are people dying somewhere in this world, Biden needs to be chained to the desk in the oval office until he makes it stop

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Arcella posted:

Oh word?

p much, yeah :shrug:

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

lightpole posted:

There are people dying somewhere in this world, Biden needs to be chained to the desk in the oval office until he makes it stop

A genocide actively perpetrated by our client state = “people dying somewhere in the world”

Do you write newspaper stories about cops shooting people too?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Arcella posted:

Do you write newspaper stories about cops shooting people too?

Speaking of -

The Lakewood church shooter was killed by the cops. The five year old with her also got shot and the news is being super vague and passive-voicey about that, so we all know what happened there.

(The shooter was also apparently trans and had "Palestine" written on her rifle, which I am sure will lead to some wonderful discourse)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I think people should refer to the shooter with male pronouns as they’re afab not amab. The sources reporting gender as her or using any name besides jeff are misgendering/deadnaming.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think people should refer to the shooter with male pronouns as they’re afab not amab. The sources reporting gender as her or using any name besides jeff are misgendering/deadnaming.

quote:

Moreno at times used a male first name, Jeffrey, and listed her sex as both male and female in records. It was not clear whether Moreno identified as transgender.

https://archive.is/nHkCB

Frankly, if you're aspiring to be a mass murderer, I don't think you should really expect anyone to honor your pronouns/preferred name anymore. The piece of poo poo who shot up the gay nightclub in Colorado Springs also tried to claim they were non-binary.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
The article I read was very confusing on the whole issue. I came away with the impression that the shooter was a trans woman and that Jeffrey was the deadname. That appears to be incorrect I guess.

gently caress them any way you swing it though. Taking your kid along on your mass shooting is a new one.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

pantslesswithwolves posted:

https://archive.is/nHkCB

Frankly, if you're aspiring to be a mass murderer, I don't think you should really expect anyone to honor your pronouns/preferred name anymore. The piece of poo poo who shot up the gay nightclub in Colorado Springs also tried to claim they were non-binary.

nah, gently caress you. you don't get to tell someone they aren't what they are just because they did something lovely.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Wait, so the person they called a mass shooter didn't actually shoot anyone, and the cops shot 3 people? Is that accurate?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Happy to just call them "the fuckface who tried to shoot up the place" and not worry about names or pronouns.

Having said that, cops and the media gently caress these things up all the time. A trans male at my kid's school got run over and killed in a nearby intersection and every media story about it used their dead name and wrong gender because that's what was on the kid's ID/paperwork and on the police report. Also, his parents were lovely and did the same when interviewed.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

not caring here posted:

Wait, so the person they called a mass shooter didn't actually shoot anyone, and the cops shot 3 people? Is that accurate?

That’s what it sounds like, yeah.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

not caring here posted:

Mr. Nice! posted:

That’s what it sounds like, yeah.

The WaPo article ITT does not refer to her* as a mass shooter anywhere in the text or headline. They do call her a “shooter” because she went into a church and discharged her firearm several times before security guards shot her and others, so that term is accurate.

Or are we talking about some other article that was not linked ITT?

*not trying to misgender; the reporting is confusing on the initial shooter’s gender.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

You know the US has a mass shooting problem when someone walks into a church with a child, starts shooting, and the entire thing is unremarkable enough that the discussion immediately shifts to whether or not the media was misgendering them.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

psydude posted:

You know the US has a mass shooting problem when someone walks into a church with a child, starts shooting, and the entire thing is unremarkable enough that the discussion immediately shifts to whether or not the media was misgendering them.

I thought we knew this long ago

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.
Conservative blowhard: We have a mass shooting problem in this country because people don't attended church anymore.

No wait not like that!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

nah, gently caress you. you don't get to tell someone they aren't what they are just because they did something lovely.

Yeah, I get it, but I have a very hard time affording the same degree of basic respect to someone who takes a rifle, an IED (real or fake) and their kid into a church and lets rounds go (letting their kid catch one in the head in the process) that I do the trans people I know IRL or my wife's best friend's teenage trans child, all of whom are going to have that much harder of a time just existing thanks to this shithead.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Nobody should be attending Joel Osteen's church anyways. That's a scam, not a church.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Yeah, I get it, but I have a very hard time affording the same degree of basic respect to someone who takes a rifle, an IED (real or fake) and their kid into a church and lets rounds go (letting their kid catch one in the head in the process) that I do the trans people I know IRL or my wife's best friend's teenage trans child, all of whom are going to have that much harder of a time just existing thanks to this shithead.

I am absolutely gonna have a harder time myself because of this shithead, but still.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
That poor loving kid.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Maybe think of it more as "deliberately misgendering someone who did something lovely actually only hurts people reading it who commonly get misgendered"

It's like fatphobia and stuff. It's not like you're actually hurting the person you're talking about, but you sure are saying things that might hurt others.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007
It looks like that report of the shooter being trans is possibly only based on some bullshit from libs of TikTok, due to the shooter having male aliases (which is reportedly common in forgery cases, which is what the some of the shooters past criminal record is for). Fox apparently edited the trans claim out of their article, and it’s looking like it may be the shooter’s biological kid. So….yeah. :smith:

Also, like I loving hate Caitlyn Jenner, but I still refer to her as a her, and also a huge piece of poo poo pick-me rear end dumbshit, but that’s gender neutral. People who suck shouldn’t be misgendered for the same reason one wouldn’t start disparaging…say, people who are handicapped, even if they’re worthless shitbag oxygen thieves.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

I think what people are talking issue with is you heaping additional disrespect on this person because of their gender expression. You can trust us to believe you when you say they are a bad person; you don't need to pick an irrelevant quality of the person to denigrate in order to convince us that you think they are a bad person.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I looked into what was being reported about the shooter and after a few minutes decided that there are several billion people on this Earth who deserved my attention more than them, so I closed the tabs and went on a walk.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1757010584216678728

Biden called Bibi an rear end in a top hat. Oh no, think of the :decorum:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I hate this idiot.

There’s a pretty consistent pattern of right wing trolls to immediately claim trans/ minority status / otherwise obfuscate any shooter that makes the news lately, seems like what’s going on.

Deadnaming someone even if they are a piece of poo poo is the same as calling someone a slur imo and it’s easy to do better.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

That Works posted:

Deadnaming someone even if they are a piece of poo poo is the same as calling someone a slur imo and it’s easy to do better.

I think this is the right way to think of it. There's ways to get our opinion that this person is a pile of dogshit out there that don't need to be slur-equivalent.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

More worried about the kiddo.

Ignore politics, bringing your kid to a mass shooting means you are a piece of poo poo.

gently caress Joel Osteen but gently caress this piece of poo poo even more.

Don’t bother telling me which gender because giant piece of poo poo is gender neutral.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Kid's going to be ahead of their peers when they finally go to school though

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
wouldn’t have to bring your kid to a shooting if we had good childcare in this country smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

not saying that this is what you did, but the bystander logic goes like this: mocking someone you hate for being X reveals to other X people that you think that being X is mock-worthy, which makes them wonder when you'll turn on them for being X, which makes them feel less safe around you.

my dad misgendered chelsea manning because she was a "traitor" and "not deserving of respect", which made my husband extremely uncomfortable around him for many years. despite the fact that my family loves and accepts my husband, he was deeply afraid that my dad would get pissed off and misgender him as an insult. almost a decade later, my husband still worries about it.

basic identity respect must be afforded to even the worst people because not doing so can and will harm others. is the person in question an absolute piece of poo poo? 100%. but showing them petty disrespect is not going to accomplish anything good.

Kith fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 13, 2024