Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I use Pepsis more outside Savage than in it, for the simple reason that there haven't been any hp-to1-and-Doom mechanics in Savage for a while and those are basically the one thing you use Pepsis for. It's more a spell to make 2x Sage Orbonne doable than anything.

Leveling Sage in dungeons I think the main thing to try to bear in mind is using your ogcds, even if they're aoe. Physis and later Krasis are up every pull; the two haimas, Holos and Pneuma every other pull. Ration them accordingly and treat them as your first resort tank heals on trash, go to -choles later. If synced down to Stone Vigil or something and the tank pulls big then yes you'll be spamming E. Diagnosis like a WHM spams Cure 2, so it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The stock standard rotation I do post-70 in dungeons is Kerachole + either Haima/Panhaima, then Physis + Taurochole to cover the rest of the pull, with Krasis added in to every Haima/Panhaima once you get it. If you don't have either Haima or Panhaima, you can instead use some combination of Soteria, Zoe-boosted Eukrasian Diagnosis, or Holos, depending on how much damage you've got incoming. You're going to need to chuck out GCDs here and there on certain pulls before Kerachole gets its HoT, but it's all gravy past that point.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I've got Krasis barred but i never really use it. Need to work on that. For dungeons I've grown to lean really hard on physis2 into kerachole or the haimas for trash pulls, follow up with taurochole after kera drops, usually fine.

Annoying thing i realized tonight because i have a habit of comedy healing job switchers in Limsa - Druochole is the only heal ability that doesn't say 'party member' after 'target'.

Anyways, Sage is the funnest job to try to figure out, and i love it to death, and it actually taught me to love healers in other games and it's pretty much all I play now.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Most of my Krasis usage is just to buff Haima. Outside of that I’ll toss it on someone that died just so they take a bit less attention.

I just rarely need to burst heal a single target, even in savage, so I don’t have too many other situations to use it.

Zoe + Krasis + crit eukra diagnosis is just funny though. I’ve walked away from tankbusters with that.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Doomykins posted:

I love this game. :allears:

It's my life's goal to collect all the cats not from the hunt and I always hope we will meet more of them.

leaptosleep
Jun 13, 2023

Alder posted:

not from the hunt

The one from the hunt isn't a terrible grind. Even if you don't want to interact with the community at all you could get it in 4 weeks of doing the ShB/EW weekly B ranks.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
The problem I've been having with trying to play Sage is that I cannot remember all the different abilities or what they do. Greek is very difficult for me. :sweatdrop:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ZZT the Fifth posted:

The problem I've been having with trying to play Sage is that I cannot remember all the different abilities or what they do. Greek is very difficult for me. :sweatdrop:

Huh. I generally just remember stuff by the button and don't remember what skill names even are, but I guess everyone is wired a bit differently.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I have my sage hotbars set up to mirror my scholar hotbars so it's easy to remember.

If you don't play SCH this may not work so well.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That's how I started mine. 50% or more of the abilities are basically 1-1 copies.

Never really needed to know an abilities name to know what they do. Not many skill names in game really describe what they do anyways. You get a handful like Yukikaze (yuki = snow) which gives the ice sen, but even then it's a stretch.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Interestingly I noticed the other day that Phlegma shares a countdown with Collective Unconscious and Asylum but none of the SCH skills. I don't really understand why this is. (I think the reason they share the countdown is that under the hood they are actually the same skill, and your job changes the effects? Though it's still somewhat surprising to me that Phlegma is linked to the other two...)

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There are a lot of cases where abilities will share cooldowns between jobs. It's most likely that they basically just have the same place on a list. So you use Phlegma, and the game says 'ability 10 is on cooldown for 40 seconds.' Then you switch to Astrologian and ability 10 still has 35s of cooldown remaining, which just happens to be Collective Unconsciousness. There's nothing shared between the two skills, just how the game keeps track of what's going on.

If there's nothing on CD when you switch to Scholar, it's possible that the ID it's looking for isn't currently used, or takes the place of a removed ability.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

My problem with Sage is that I can put buttons on the bar so I understand where they are, but then somebody starts describing them by name to explain their healing process and my eyes just glaze over because gently caress if I can remember which of those buttons is which by name.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There are a lot of cases where abilities will share cooldowns between jobs. It's most likely that they basically just have the same place on a list. So you use Phlegma, and the game says 'ability 10 is on cooldown for 40 seconds.' Then you switch to Astrologian and ability 10 still has 35s of cooldown remaining, which just happens to be Collective Unconsciousness. There's nothing shared between the two skills, just how the game keeps track of what's going on.

If there's nothing on CD when you switch to Scholar, it's possible that the ID it's looking for isn't currently used, or takes the place of a removed ability.

Yeah, this was my understanding, though I guess I found it interesting that for both WHM and AST this is their "persistent AoE" ability. I wonder if there's any logic under the hood to what they put in what slot.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Alder posted:

It's my life's goal to collect all the cats not from the hunt and I always hope we will meet more of them.

Do hunt trains and S-ranks when you can, they’re both the easiest and fastest way to get tomes.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ZZT the Fifth posted:

This is basically me with every job. It's annoying wehen the buttons are all the same color and I can't just say "greensong, purplesong, yellowsong, bluesting, purplesting..."

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

lines posted:

Yeah, this was my understanding, though I guess I found it interesting that for both WHM and AST this is their "persistent AoE" ability. I wonder if there's any logic under the hood to what they put in what slot.

There's probably internal guidance about what to assign to which group, but not really any rules built into the game.

Under the hood actions have a CooldownGroup assigned, and for example Phlegma has a CooldownGroup of 19, shared by among other things MCH Dismantle and BLU Nightbloom/Both Ends

For some reason Phlegma III has a CooldownGroup of 18 instead, which puts it in with Gnashing Fang and Asylum.

There's also an AdditionalCooldownGroup that I'm not entirely sure how it's used, might be a secondary thing? A bunch of not-so-random stuff like NIN mudras and also random stuff like PVP actions are in the same AdditionalCooldownGroup of 58.

Anyway the CooldownGroup should be unique per shared cooldown on a specific class, but different classes can have their abilities assigned to different cooldown groups and there's not a strong reason for any cooldown to get a particular number.

Also you have to be careful browsing around to make sure the ability you're looking at is the actual ability used in-game, the xiv data is full of skills removed from the game, skills enemies use, skills never implemented, pvp skills, and more.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Thundarr posted:

My problem with Sage is that I can put buttons on the bar so I understand where they are, but then somebody starts describing them by name to explain their healing process and my eyes just glaze over because gently caress if I can remember which of those buttons is which by name.

This - this is exactly where I'm at. Thank you for helping me put it into words better.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah i had to look up the names to talk about this, haha. All I really know innately are kerachole, pneuma, zoe, and the haimas. The rest are "uhhh the party ogcd with a shield" or "i need an addersgall". i couldnt tell you which one's prognosis and which one's diagnosis if you dangled me off a high rise

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I probably wouldn’t know half the names either if I didn’t discuss them here. I mostly only know healer abilities names and a random other job here and there.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I personally just go with stuff like “SAM blue/red/ice combo” or “OGCD/free heal”

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Once again Summoner proving themselves to be the most simplest job.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

ok but is it pronounce kera-coal or ker-occoli

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The party stopping to argue about how to pronounce Ixachole just invites them to get dive bombed by Phoinix.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah i had to look up the names to talk about this, haha. All I really know innately are kerachole, pneuma, zoe, and the haimas. The rest are "uhhh the party ogcd with a shield" or "i need an addersgall". i couldnt tell you which one's prognosis and which one's diagnosis if you dangled me off a high rise

"okay these cost resource and this does as well... wait, this says sting while that says gall. Dangit how do I get that Help popup back?"

Never found it, had to pull up the web page. Seems I only have Monk, BLM, NIN and BLU's help popups in the Active Help menu.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Kerrzhe posted:

https://youtu.be/FxzTzFJheWg

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bruceski posted:

"okay these cost resource and this does as well... wait, this says sting while that says gall. Dangit how do I get that Help popup back?"

Never found it, had to pull up the web page. Seems I only have Monk, BLM, NIN and BLU's help popups in the Active Help menu.

addersting is a really dumb mechanic because it encourages you to use bad spells (eukrasian gcd heals) to generate 3 charges of a relatively useless toxikon which isn't a gain on 1 so its ONLY use on a boss is dps while moving, but if you have phlegma balls you should be using those first.

its the sge equivalent of freecure fishing or something

If i were boss of sage job at squeenix i'd make toxicon a 2 mode spell and regular tox would be a slightly stronger than dosis single target, and eukrasian toxicon would be an aoe even with dyskrasia but more range. anyways thats my rant. it'd counter some of the dps loss you incurred by casting that eukrasian shield to get the sting, and would give you mobility or range advantage vs dosis/dyskrasia as a reward. I hate that corner of the hotbars.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Toxicon is pretty underwhelming but has a different use than Phlegma. With Ligma you mostly want to save 2 charges for every burst window so you can pretend you do damage now and then. You still have the third orb to spend before you overcap.

Toxicon is a bit better in the harder difficulty stuff. Between the three you start with, there's probably reasonable opportunity to use a few more shields to restack them. p12 has a whole minute long mechanics section where you can't dps, so that's easy, but there are 2 or three other spots where it's high damage/high movement, so a euk prog is a decent use of a gcd.

Still a bit underwhelming though, but not full garbage. I hope they do a little bit with it in DT.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
https://fxtwitter.com/xierh/status/1756728871737852058?s=20

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i knew it, it's keroccoli

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Bruceski posted:

The question mark at the bottom left of the Actions menu pulls up the guide on your class stuff.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Onean posted:

The question mark at the bottom left of the Actions menu pulls up the guide on your class stuff.

...sonova...

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

That's fine. It looks fake, so no real loss.

I think they should remove Soul Stones to add more slots for the Glamour Desser. They're really only required for the ARR Base Jobs. Just set a Job Unlocked flag.

Kerrzhe posted:

https://mario.fandom.com/wiki/Kerokero_Cola

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

That's fine. It looks fake, so no real loss.

I think they should remove Soul Stones to add more slots for the Glamour Desser. They're really only required for the ARR Base Jobs. Just set a Job Unlocked flag.

https://mario.fandom.com/wiki/Kerokero_Cola

I dread to think what job stones are doing under the hood. I have a horrible feeling they may be load-bearing code somehow.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Kheldarn posted:

Patch x.1
* soul stones are removed and are now a toggle shown in the character screen

patch x.2
* fixed characters permanently losing their access to a class when removing certain items slots from the glamour dresser (the new slot that was added still referenced some old code)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Don't job stones have a point for crafting specialization?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Crafter job stones give a small (but helpful) boost to stats and give you access to a couple niche abilities.

Could take 'em or leave 'em really.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
There's a neat bit of lore differentiation in job stones when you look at Blue Mage and Machinist compared to the others.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hyper Inferno posted:

There's a neat bit of lore differentiation in job stones when you look at Blue Mage and Machinist compared to the others.

That's always been a neat detail, and each had its own reason. MCH was entirely new, BLU had new stones mass produced for the job trainer to sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aers
Feb 15, 2012

lines posted:

I dread to think what job stones are doing under the hood. I have a horrible feeling they may be load-bearing code somehow.

they change a number