Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Automatons are such a jump in difficulty compared to bugs. Thinking you’re king poo poo cause you can handle bugs at higher difficulty and then dropping into a bit planet on the same difficulty goes from Starship Troopers to space Vietnam real quick

https://streamable.com/x3z45x

Also dumb question but how do you heal someone else with a STIM on PC? I get the box over someone when they’re half health but can’t figure out what to press

Controlled bursts are TREASON.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

One more thing on LMG talk:

56.2% of you are playing the game wrong :blastu:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Does anyone have a gif of that old grizzled dude in Alien Resurrection grenading the lifeboat and then saluting his dead comrades? cos that's me in this game

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dang, its just CTD now after the patch, and it looks like Im not the only one

https://steamcommunity.com/app/553850/discussions/0/4206994473253859355/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Was very unsure about Helldivers 2 and if I would want to get the game or not, a friend gifted it t me though and after the first mission I was sold and am hooked.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wow that first Shotgun you can buy feels terrible.
Doesn't help I loaded into a Challenigng game and there were like 2 huge fuckin bugs just waiting for us, got our poo poo kicked in.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I like the normal shotgun tbh

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Dandywalken posted:

I like the normal shotgun tbh

same but I'm not clear how it's better than the full auto one, if you can restrain yourself it hits almost as hard, is plenty accurate, and lets you magdump on charger asses when needed

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
otoh Breaker auto-shotgun a little later is really good, so just use the Liberator or maybe Diligence if the Lib doesn't hit hard enough for you until then

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Breaker is a beast yeah. Diligence I dont think Im accurate enough with to really kick butt(s)

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

1stGear posted:

It's also extremely loving lol that special forces teams are being deployed on an incredibly dangerous missions to survey valuable ore veins.
One of the Bug objectives literally has you going around turning the oil taps back on :lol:

Perestroika posted:

Intellectually I know that stuff like the autocannon, RR, AT, or laser cannon are probably better in the support slot, but there really is a certain je ne sais quoi to picking up a machine gun and just letting it loving rip :black101:
Honestly I don't even think it's that bad of a pick as long as others have the AT covered; there's an innate benefit to just being able carve out a safe area with an MG belt on full blast to give your heavier weapons space to do their work. While the AC (as a very good "generalist" weapon) can overlap in this role, it is more cumbersome to swing around, has a higher potential risk of friendly fire, and unless the user has a teammate loading* for them, is not able to put down the sheer weight of fire in a small amount of time that the MG can do. People have moved past it quickly because it's the "starter" heavy weapon but there's definitely a good use case for it compared to the other heavies imo.

*Team loading the autocannon literally lets you shoot all your ammo without letting go of the trigger it's hilarious

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Still figuring out if i like the fire shotgun. It feels like it does less damage than the knight for more ammo. But it might just be that the knight can tap a commander to death real fast and they apparently do not give a gently caress about fire shotguns

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

1stGear posted:

It's also extremely loving lol that special forces teams are being deployed on an incredibly dangerous missions to survey valuable ore veins.

Treasonous and subversive talk reported to the nearest Democracy Officer.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Oh my teammate just died, surely if I call reinforcements over here they will help me open the vault

https://i.imgur.com/9mhYXdf.mp4

e: Does radar only work for the person that has it equipped? I thought I was giving everyone the benefit of having radar on their maps by bringing it.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Feb 12, 2024

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

The MG still has a place even in high difficulty on missions that are swarming with the puke bugs.
It kills them plenty fast and they are otherwise somewhat pesky to get rid of - let people with Big Guns take care of Chargers and Titans, being able to mow down vomit bugs quickly is very helpful!

... or commit yourself to the Eagle Way. I roll nothing but eagle strikes and improvements on my ship. Why bother calling in consumables when you can call in endless bombardment?
The only time I've even remotely had trouble with this is on missions where call ins are delayed - adding a 6 second delay to your air strikes SUCKS.

For those debating what eagle strikes to get:

Start with the basic Strafing run: this one is AMAZING all around and will see you through to level 7ish missions
Replace the basic with the Cluster Strike - this is a straight upgrade with massive area coverage. Like before, it murders soft things and semi soft things (like spitter bugs) but wont do much to heavies. The tooltip lies: it CAN break buildings, too.
The Airstrike (bombs) is the MVP out of all of them, as it wipes out anything short of a titan on a good hit, and can erase entire nests if angled correctly.
The 500kg Bomb is spectacular, but really shines when you get the second slot. Good at mostly* killing titans in one hit (sometimes they live through it for undemocratic reasons)
The 110 Missiles strike is... okay? It can be useful as a precision anti-tank strike, but it tends to only be semi-reliable. I think this one needs the most work out of them.
The Napalm strike is pretty good up until 6+ where it really doesn't kill enough with the lingering fire. Also the most flavourful, especially on jungle planets.
Smoke... doesn't kill anything. Surprisingly actually quite useful on higher difficulty to block patrol LOS and act as a distraction if you are trying to stay under the radar.

ZeusCannon posted:

Still figuring out if i like the fire shotgun. It feels like it does less damage than the knight for more ammo. But it might just be that the knight can tap a commander to death real fast and they apparently do not give a gently caress about fire shotguns

I use the fire shotgun almost exclusively vs Bugs, but I am also resigned to my purpose as 'the guy that suicide rushes into bug nests to kill all of the eggs' - it remains viable right up to helldive difficulty, but you need to respect your lack of armor-killing power when you're running it. When you run into those patrols of like 30 small bugs, the fire shotgun just lets you magdump in their direction and they will all die to DOT.
It's incredibly good at killing soft targets and eggs. It's not too amazing against medium+ armored enemies, though - but setting them on fire can often keep them busy.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 12, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
This game is more fun than darktide but I never gave a poo poo about the cash shop. Who cares if there are whale items, you don't need them to enjoy the videogame.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JBP posted:

This game is more fun than darktide but I never gave a poo poo about the cash shop. Who cares if there are whale items, you don't need them to enjoy the videogame.

It's a little annoying there's not enough cash in the pass to buy the next one, but also, I'm not putting money into it either way, so whatever

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Noooooo, I was doing a bot mission, we were nearly done and waiting for the extraction, and then the servers went down.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
This looks dope but are you guys at all worried it’ll turn into a pay 2 win or paid battle pass oriented model

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hobbez posted:

This looks dope but are you guys at all worried it’ll turn into a pay 2 win or paid battle pass oriented model

It already has a battlepass but no, not at all.

RBA Starblade posted:

It's a little annoying there's not enough cash in the pass to buy the next one, but also, I'm not putting money into it either way, so whatever

I really should have said "and I didn't give a poo poo about the cash shop", meaning my opinion is only based on the quality of the game.

JBP fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 12, 2024

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

hobbez posted:

There’s already monetization in the game, with a battle pass type thing. It’s not horrible, the armor is just cosmetic with the same basic effects as free armor, and you can earn currency in game to buy the things that you can also buy with real money.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

DarkDobe posted:

The 110 Missiles strike is... okay? It can be useful as a precision anti-tank strike, but it tends to only be semi-reliable. I think this one needs the most work out of them.
Yeah I was pretty disappointed with the rocket run. Right now the best use of it is that it insta-kills bot tanks, but it's pretty mid outside of that. I think if they upped the targeting range on it (so you could just throw it really sloppily under pressure and still get it on target), and gave it an extra use, it'd be a lot better. Also it likes to miss I've noticed, so maybe fix that too.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Supercredits (the $$-based currency) IS available in mission to find as well. Not hard to find either if you actively look around the map for resources too.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Also they said the battle pass will never go away so you can do it whenever you feel like without fomo. I’m normally very sour about MTX stuff but between that and the credits for exploring I have not felt a need to throw more dollars at the game. I might pick up the battlepass later if I clear out the stuff I want from the initial options.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

will there be more warbonds down the road?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fate Accomplice posted:

will there be more warbonds down the road?

There will, pretty quickly from what they've said. Though they might delay it until things are shored up.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There's already a type of player that is starting to solidify in my mind that is annoying as hell to play with. Runs around like absolute mad, tries to scour the whole map but does it in the least efficient way possible. Usually has a jump pack.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

The prices of the cash shop items have been slowly increasing it seems, so probably will need to keep an eye on that, however Arrowhead are generally a really good developer so hopefully they will limit themselves.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Anyone know how to deal with those gently caress off massive cannons on the bot bases? I've seen people put rockets into them, grenades, cluster bombs etc. Is there a knack to it? They are loving lethal. Sorry if others have asked already!

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Dandywalken posted:

Breaker is a beast yeah. Diligence I dont think Im accurate enough with to really kick butt(s)

Can't remember the name of the setting but you can set quick-scope to tap rmb (vs hold rmb for ads) and it can be really helpful for using stuff like the diligence at range. works super well for hitting mech weak points

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Internet Explorer posted:

There's already a type of player that is starting to solidify in my mind that is annoying as hell to play with. Runs around like absolute mad, tries to scour the whole map but does it in the least efficient way possible. Usually has a jump pack.

Yeah I have seen this a couple times. At least when they die they *have* to regroup because they can only spawn in where you throw the beacon.

Edit: although that same person is probably also quitting as soon as they die

explosivo fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 12, 2024

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Dang, its just CTD now after the patch, and it looks like Im not the only one

https://steamcommunity.com/app/553850/discussions/0/4206994473253859355/

Looks like they are rolling back the client side patch because of CTD and FPS issues. The reward stream fixes are still in place, so they were probably server side I guess.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

They're suffering from success.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Internet Explorer posted:

feeling very attacked, calling in an orbital strike on this post

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

BastardySkull posted:

Anyone know how to deal with those gently caress off massive cannons on the bot bases? I've seen people put rockets into them, grenades, cluster bombs etc. Is there a knack to it? They are loving lethal. Sorry if others have asked already!

If you can, shoot them in the back - they have glowing vents there that are a crit spot. The railgun is amazing for this (but admittedly high level).
Otherwise, it takes several recoilless/railgun (anti heavy) shots to take out. Haven't tried with a SPEAR yet but I imagine it 1 or 2 shots them.
Maybe the eagle 110 missile strike works on them too?
Tanks are the same - they have the vents on the back of the turret.
Also a tip: DONT CLIMB ONTO TANKS - you sure can, and you sure will die for doing it.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
"i think we got it"

https://i.imgur.com/efbKPbL.mp4

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man, quickplay sure is still failing like 90% of the time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

explosivo posted:

Man, quickplay sure is still failing like 90% of the time.

Yeah you have to mash it. I feel like it's placing you in games that are full. Like the map doesn't update when you see a team of a couple of people and try to join then fail, presumably because that team is full.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

My impression of imposible difficulty, is that is very manageable with a group of players with experience in the game..
..THERES A LOT OF BUGs, the game throws at you some quantities that absolutely feel too many, but with good maneuvers is manageable.

Looking forward for unlocking more poo poo :D

Tei fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Can't even get into the game after the cinematics now. So that's two failed attempts at maintenance I guess.