Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Robobot posted:

As a thread, I think we should leave a rock with a swirl drawn on it to warn passerby posters away from falling into the disagreement.

lmao

counterfeitsaint posted:

Petey knows why is marriage is falling apart and says as much, she resents him because they got pregnant and married too young. All the work stuff is just a convenient excuse to lash out. Most of this could have been avoided with a throwaway line from him saying something like "This is a really big case and things will calm back down again soon" as an attempted defense. I don't think he bothered because he knew that wasn't really the issue anyways.

I mean I think it's important that this isn't really conveyed as Pete being especially driven by the case itself, but more by his relationship to Danvers as his boss/mother/(wife?) figure. He's getting called away by her and what she wants which is how it's framed in conversations with his wife and father, it's not "can you quit this case", it's "can you stop jumping whenever she snaps her fingers". And it also seems depicted that what Danvers is asking him to do is excessive and may be more exaggerated by her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I liked this episode a lot. I've really come to like Danvers as a character and her relationship with Prior is great. I really felt she would have let Hank shoot her if it meant he didn't have to kill his own dad. Danvers is such a mess with all of her relationships, but it always stems from her caring about them and handling it badly.

I AM GRANDO posted:

How many times has that redhead with the two missing fingers shown up? Once in the first episode (wife of the abuser guy Navarro arrests), again in the second (says something about nobody knowing what happens at the research station? I don’t remember), and now at the laundromat in this episode (walks in right after Qaavik and the camera follows her briefly)?

I want to accuse this show of being predictable, but I have to admit that I can’t figure out why they’re dangling her in front of us like that. The people at the cannery know her name and recognize her, right? She can’t be like a deep-cover agent or an avatar of the goddess the kid draws or a ghost or some poo poo?

Someone on reddit aaaallll the way back in episode 2 pointed out that the hand-print they lifted from the clothes is missing the same fingers that the redhead is:

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=ht...31dff3b31aa3b04

And in the drawing of the spooky lady with the cut-off fingers, shes also missing the same two fingers:

https://www.reddit.com/media?url=ht...b83184a904f395c

Given the events of the episode, I'm not sure if this could be leading to anything or just be a red herring. Perhaps some native vigilante group took out the scientists?

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 13, 2024

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Tender Bender posted:

I mean I think it's important that this isn't really conveyed as Pete being especially driven by the case itself, but more by his relationship to Danvers as his boss/mother/(wife?) figure. He's getting called away by her and what she wants which is how it's framed in conversations with his wife and father, it's not "can you quit this case", it's "can you stop jumping whenever she snaps her fingers". And it also seems depicted that what Danvers is asking him to do is excessive and may be more exaggerated by her.

That's fair. She's clearly a mentor figure and an extremely demanding one.

I don't know why people keep suggesting a sexual relationship though. Is it just cause she likes to gently caress? There's never been anything even hinting at sexual tension between the two. Pete might be the only guy she's not going after.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Anyone know why Navarros sister was turned in 4 balls after cremation? They had to grind up the balls after that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Despera posted:

Anyone know why Navarros sister was turned in 4 balls after cremation? They had to grind up the balls after that.

I would assume its just the machine that process the ashes after being burnt. Seems inconvenient if you need to grind them up again before putting them in an urn, but cremation hardware seems very serious machinery.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Despera posted:

Imagine 4 balls on the edge of a cliff...

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Despera posted:

The balls are not Navarros sister. Burning the body leaves bone fragments, etc behind. So you put the sort of coarse remains you see in the beginning along with those balls in the tumbler like device so that those balls crush the fragments and pieces into the ash you see in the urns.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

ruddiger posted:

Pretty sure a goon called it when he first showed up on the lawnmower.

TheBizzness posted:

They did indeed. Something along the lines of “that actor is too big a name to be on this show for 30 seconds”.

ghouldaddy07 posted:

I think that goon actually went to IMDB and checked the cast episode ahead of time and decided to spoil the thread if I remember correctly.

Doltos posted:

Yeah I don't remember the actor from anything other than Boardwalk Empire I don't think he was that significant in that either.
I'm that goon.

I recognized the actor from Boardwalk Empire, where he had been in 9 episodes. I didn't think HBO would cast him just to be in one scene on a lawnmower for 30 seconds after coming off a much larger role in Boardwalk.

I did not check IMDB for the cast episode ahead of time or anything like that.

I had a hunch, shared it, and it turned out to be right. And it has lived on in TVIV infamy ever since.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

joepinetree posted:

The balls are not Navarros sister. Burning the body leaves bone fragments, etc behind. So you put the sort of coarse remains you see in the beginning along with those balls in the tumbler like device so that those balls crush the fragments and pieces into the ash you see in the urns.

oh ok crusher balls makes sense

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Navarro is a lousy cop but she is great at staging murder scenes

Also Leah is pretty without that stupid hat

Dmitri-9 fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 13, 2024

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
The cops in this show have killed more people than the mining company lol

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

fullroundaction posted:

Depends on if you consider babies people

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

fullroundaction posted:

Some of these murders were in service of the mine so I'm sure they come out ahead

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

The guys Navarro tried to perform police brutalization on were more respectful of human life.

They were careful not to mess with her cheek piercings. And she was up and around in a day.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Navarro being a rageaholic and doing bad policework from it is an intriguing character trait but then they kind of take the wind out of her sails by giving her legitimate things to be mad about while being way more interested in helping people than Danvers is.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

I have it on good authority that this showrunner is actually talented and has shown to be able to form a creative True Detective type story. I haven’t seen this movie (it has Tiger in the title) but from the interviews I read prior to the season it seems kind of clear studio stepped in and made this into a fan service, Easter eggy, phoned in piece of poo poo.

So the showrunners stance on current hot button social issues (right where youre currently thinking is correct) in her personal life, so there is no shot that the native women are up to anything like baby killing or smart guy killing. They’re will be a big injustice uncovered against the native population, specifically the females, and no consequences will come of it — because *thats just like, life.*

I’m sure it has been touched on but shoehorning in Rusts Dad and Tuddle had to be forced in for the fans.

The whole Dad debacle aside. Prior gets all uppity about those files in ep 2 or 3 and oh wow they show Tuddle in the header. Initially I felt sorry for Prior but the man is a police officer who was a Google search away from ending this drat season. This is just an outpost in Alaska where really bad officers get shipped off to, and the town doesn’t seem to give two fucks about this situation and seemingly has a good idea of what is going on.

Ok and sorry I want to stop but I can’t… if you expect me to widdle a crooked, specific looking spiral into a rock for a few days then your outta luck pal but guess what, by not **using a loving rock to warn of thin ice** maybe saved them anyways.
Double lol for the man at the camp not telling her, “Hey those stones are serious warnings and you will die” but after thinking on it, homie likely assumed that this bitch grew up here and was apart of this community, she played out in the sea as a kid, he was probably asking himself why the gently caress is this girl, our police, asking me this? And was genuinely just stunned, he wasn’t withholding info at all!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Some other goon made a prediction a few days ago and the more I think about it, the more I think they're probably right; the cave is full of ancient native artifacts and cave paintings and poo poo. The mine knows if anyone finds out, it will become a protected site and shut down their operation. They killed Annie to cover it up. The deaths and bad water are just normal mine stuff.

It's gonna be a LOST situation where everything else is just a big shrug. You can assume its a ghost or native mysticism or something if you want I guess, but that's as many dots as the show is going to connect for you.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

counterfeitsaint posted:

Some other goon made a prediction a few days ago and the more I think about it, the more I think they're probably right; the cave is full of ancient native artifacts and cave paintings and poo poo. The mine knows if anyone finds out, it will become a protected site and shut down their operation. They killed Annie to cover it up. The deaths and bad water are just normal mine stuff.

It's gonna be a LOST situation where everything else is just a big shrug. You can assume its a ghost or native mysticism or something if you want I guess, but that's as many dots as the show is going to connect for you.

I think the show will go this way -- if only because the main influence it's ripping off also went that way -- but I remember L O S T being quite unambiguous about the existence of the supernatural.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Turpitude posted:

This was the best episode of the season so far for sure.

-Who is the "she" that the madmen keep saying is awake?

Annabelle Tuttle, née Lecter (uncredited Anthony Hopkins cameo)

HermitSupplier
Sep 19, 2023

Open Source Idiom posted:

but I remember L O S T being quite unambiguous about the existence of the supernatural.

Yeah it really did not hide that there was some supernatural and religious poo poo going on towards the end of the series.

Most of the supernatural stuff in this season can be attributed to hallucinations and mental illness I think. Except that whole Travis thing, I guess he's straight up a ghost.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Tigers are Not Afraid is much better than this season of TD so I will co-sign HBO did her story a disservice by forcing it to be a season of True Detective.

th3t00t posted:

I'm that goon.

I recognized the actor from Boardwalk Empire, where he had been in 9 episodes.

Heartbreaking. The worst person you know etc etc.

I think I have to respect you now and that makes me sad. At least until football season starts.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

gonna read reactions to episode 5 today but I found it to be fairly decent

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

TheBizzness posted:

Heartbreaking. The worst person you know etc etc.

I think I have to respect you now and that makes me sad. At least until football season starts.
:thurman:

I think I liked Episode 5? Things feel like they were finally coming together and ramping up.

Prior staying over in Liz's shed bothered me though. You can't just stay in an unheated shed in the middle of sub freezing temperatures with no gear without freezing to death. It feels like the kind of stupid thing that someone who has never experienced cold weather in their life would write.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

th3t00t posted:

I think I liked Episode 5? Things feel like they were finally coming together and ramping up.

Prior staying over in Liz's shed bothered me though. You can't just stay in an unheated shed in the middle of sub freezing temperatures with no gear without freezing to death. It feels like the kind of stupid thing that someone who has never experienced cold weather in their life would write.

Who says it was unheated?
I also thought that and then just assumed they had it heated because it would be too cold for sotrage

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

ruddiger posted:

I can’t wait for the season finale’s somber cover of cotton eye joe over the closing credits.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Lies, it should be John Hawkes singing Trrrrruuuuuuuueeeeeeeee Detective over and over, accompanied on kazoo.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

th3t00t posted:

Space heaters are a thing. Knew someone who camped out in a small van attachment with nothing but one during -10 degree weather and some blankets.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Looking forward to the last episode. The ending is still so wide open and I hope its doozy.

The thread should also be entertaining no matter the quality of the episode.

th3t00t posted:

The shed you might personally have in your backyard and a shed in alaska are probably built much differently on average. I don't know what you could hope to store in a shed in sub zero temps that was built the same as your lawnmower shed in florida. I get the TV isn't explaining this important nuance but :aloom:.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 13, 2024

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Sickening posted:

The shed you might personally have in your backyard and a shed in alaska are probably built much differently on average. I don't know what you could hope to store in a shed in sub zero temps that was built the same as your lawnmower shed in florida. I get the TV isn't explaining this important nuance but :aloom:.

In defense of goons, when she told him to stay in her shed, I too was picturing some kind of finished 1-bedroom/1-toilet suite that you find in half the backyards of SoCal, and audibly laughed when it turned out to be some kind of unfinished wooden tool shed with a lawn chair to sit in. It does really seem like the dude could find a motel to stay in that has better accommodations than that.

EDIT: And before you guys jump down my throat, we already know the town has a motel because Danvers was loving her boss in it.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Yeah I've been offered nicer conditions for me to stay over at the homes of people who outright hated my gets.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

I think the issue is that people have been clear over and over that they recognize what the show is doing but are complaining that the show is telling them and not showing it. Even if it's an obvious motif it can still be done poorly. The guy you're replying to is unable to come to terms with that and thinks he's an enlightened television watcher.

can you please stop attacking posters? I know it's your MO according to your rap sheet but please keep it about the show and stop trying to make yourself appear superior to others on the internet

IMO this show is a really good example of rushed pacing. As others have pointed out, some of the plotlines (kid cop's marriage, the nomads living in the camp, etc) just haven't been given the room they need to be impactful. The show could have really benefitted from 2 more episodes, and a lot more introspection.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Oh, a toilet would be a good reason to have to have heat in the shed.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

HootTheOwl posted:

Who says it was unheated?
I also thought that and then just assumed they had it heated because it would be too cold for sotrage

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Space heaters are a thing. Knew someone who camped out in a small van attachment with nothing but one during -10 degree weather and some blankets.

Sickening posted:

Looking forward to the last episode. The ending is still so wide open and I hope its doozy.

The thread should also be entertaining no matter the quality of the episode.

His breath misting in the shed says it was unheated. Did you guys not see that? lmao

Do you guys think people can't store things in sheds unless they are kept above freezing? I live in Buffalo NY and nobody heats their sheds, and it's below freezing most days from like Nov-April here.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

In defense of goons, when she told him to stay in her shed, I too was picturing some kind of finished 1-bedroom/1-toilet suite that you find in half the backyards of SoCal, and audibly laughed when it turned out to be some kind of unfinished wooden tool shed with a lawn chair to sit in. It does really seem like the dude could find a motel to stay in that has better accommodations than that.

EDIT: And before you guys jump down my throat, we already know the town has a motel because Danvers was loving her boss in it.
Yeah this. It's the kind of thing somebody who's never left SoCal in their lives would think to write. And then when they found out what kind of shed people in the north actually have, they just kept it in the show rather than change it because they need to have Prior there to shoot his dad.

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 13, 2024

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
as long as he has the right sleeping bag he will be fine

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

haters and losers cannot stop equating things (incorrectly!) to the hit abc television series Lost :sad: they are traumatised by watching tv badly over a decade ago

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So is there some kind of scraping script that regularly scans all of SA for mentions of LOST? I've never seen it mentioned once, anywhere, in any thread, without some rear end in a top hat rolling in a day later to defend it's honor.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
edit stupid feud stuff that doens't matter

Doltos fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 13, 2024

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

You don’t need to use anything like that since you can guarantee it’s mentioned at least once in a thread about a tv show the second the show in question doesn’t pause and give the viewer a wiki page explaining everything that’s happening.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Any building someone is going to spend any amount of time inside north of the Arctic circle is going to have some kind of heating situation even if it's just a space heater you turn on periodically.

Doltos posted:

That guy started it with several digs at posters "not paying attention to the show they're watching" so this is a bit unfair

Edit: nevermind, removing the snark, I'm really not interested in continuing a feud with you.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
There's no feud I just think the show could be better at showing and not telling and some goon pulled up a post from 2 pages ago to instigate. I don't even disagree with half the posts you're making.