Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember this one really pissing me off. The very idea that she was shaming her uncle for not being able to afford these trips, when the actual problem is that he made a weird game out of lying to children and the whole family coddled him about it for years. What a loving weirdo!

How do I (26M) get my girlfriend (25f) to admit that she is pregnant??

I'm gonna need an update on this one, getting really bad vibes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for calling out my teacher’s wrong info in the middle of class then telling the assistant principal he’s also wrong?

quote:

I’m in high school and during geometry, our teacher said that the elliptical is an important shape and gave an example of seasons. She said we have seasons because the earth rotates around the sun in an elliptical orbit so we have winters when we’re furthest from the sun and summer when we’re close to it. That didn’t sound right so I raised my hand and asked her to repeat it. She said the same thing and I told her that didn’t sound right but she insisted that it was. She went on to draw out the sun, earth, and elliptical rotation then explained that when the earth is far away from the sun, its rays loses energy on the way to earth which causes earth to cool. It still sounded wrong so I looked it up on my phone and told her that we have seasons because of earth’s tilted axis but she disagreed and said I’m not supposed to be using my phone during class. We got into an argument about the seasons then she sent me to the assistant principal’s office.

He agreed with her seasons theory and her telling me I’m not supposed to use my phone during class. I argued that she’s wrong and tried to pull up the tilted axis info but he said I can’t believe everything on the internet then gave me after school detention.

I’m at lunch and can use my phone but I’m so angry that no one will look at my evidence.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

FMguru posted:

It means "I'm super nervous and I have to be careful what I say or do like I'm walking on eggshells" (I've usually heard it as "a long-tailed car in a room full of rocking chairs)

So like a station wagon? I thought I understood, but this just raises further questions. you understand this is not logical, right?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Mx. posted:

AITA for calling out my teacher’s wrong info in the middle of class then telling the assistant principal he’s also wrong?
god that's infuriating

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

DeeplyConcerned posted:

So like a station wagon? I thought I understood, but this just raises further questions. you understand this is not logical, right?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

mystes posted:

god that's infuriating

If that was my kid, this story would not be over until one of those adults cried.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

mystes posted:

god that's infuriating

I mean in plenty of American schools these days we're lucky that they're still teaching a heliocentric model.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
It came from r/AmITheEx

My BF and I had an argument regarding his female friend and need to know the best way to approach her to fix this.

quote:

My (F22) BF (24M) has a friend (F24) who as far as I know, has never been in a relationship. Ever since their friendship started, she would give my BF a Valentines gift every year.

A few days ago I brought my discomfort about this since I'm currently his GF and told the friend I would appreciate it if she respect my request to stop giving him Valentines. She disregarded my feelings so I brought this up with my BF who also disregarded my feelings which led me to saying some hurtful things about the friend and even accused her of being in love with BF and trying to keep him to herself.

Ever since then, he's been ghosting me. He doesn't even come by the restaurant I work at anymore, where we met. I figured the best way to handle this is to talk to the friend. I still have her number. I also know where she lives and works. What's holding me back from talking to her is that I'm afraid that BF told her what I said about her from our argument.

What would be the best way to approach her?

TLDR: BF and I had an argument about his friend who I made insulting and accusatory comments about and now he's refusing to talk to me. I want to make a compromise with the friend on how to get back with BF.
eta: from comments

quote:

He did say "I think we should break up" but he wasn't definite with that choice he just says he thinks. I believe there's a way to fix this

FMguru fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 13, 2024

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Mx. posted:

Kid's learning a valuable lesson - let people be stupid on their own, correcting them is thankless and will put a target on your head.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Deified Data posted:

Apparently 1 in 2500 pregnancies involve denial of pregnancy up to and including birth. 1 in 475 have denial at 20 weeks.

I have a friend who didn't realise she was pregnant - went into hospital for stomach pains and came out next day holding a baby. She had some health issues which meant the obvious signs weren't, and missing a bunch of periods in a row wasn't that unusual. The kid is now an adult and by all accounts doing well.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

darkwasthenight posted:

Apparently 1 in 2500 pregnancies involve denial of pregnancy up to and including birth. 1 in 475 have denial at 20 weeks.

I have a friend who didn't realise she was pregnant - went into hospital for stomach pains and came out next day holding a baby. She had some health issues which meant the obvious signs weren't, and missing a bunch of periods in a row wasn't that unusual. The kid is now an adult and by all accounts doing well.

Hopefully they can have a more fruitful convo when she's not being ambushed in the middle of the night lol, I probably wouldn't take it well either. That said I understand OP's concern

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

It came from r/AmITheEx

My BF and I had an argument regarding his female friend and need to know the best way to approach her to fix this.

eta: from comments
I have a little sympathy for the OP in this one since valentines gifts are usually seen as romantic and she wouldn't have been totally out of line to tell her boyfriend that she felt uncomfortable with him receiving a valentines gift from his friend but she should have talked about it with him rather than talking to the friend initially and that update is just lmao

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for assuming my baby could come to a super bowl party

quote:

Wife and I (late 20's) got invited to a Super Bowl party yesterday. We have a 15 month old. I assumed with the invite our kid was invited too. It was a text invite saying this is happening at this time and this place. No other details.

In my history of going to super bowl parties they've always been family friendly. So I didn't think twice about bringing my kids to my buddies house. We are on the West Coast and its over by 8. So its a day thing and not really a late night.

Apparently, my kid was not invited and my buddy who hosted wasn't happy he was brought over. We had a discussion that turned into an argument and we left. He never mentioned no kids. But am I the rear end in a top hat for assuming he could come?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for assuming my baby could come to a super bowl party
Is there even a right answer for this? Assuming the other people knew they had a baby isn't it both their faults for not actually communicating about it?

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Deified Data posted:

Agree. Not only is the baby not getting any prenatal care but what happens at the end of nine months when OP comes home and finds blood everywhere and his GF visibly not pregnant anymore and she's like, "What baby? That was just a heavy period. I told you I wasn't pregnant. There was never a baby."

This level of denial to me falls into "Danger to oneself or others" and needs psychological intervention.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Oh hey, you described me. Mine are 1500 pieces and I plan to get some 2000 piece puzzles soon. I'm also one of those people who refuse to use the box as a reference. I really don't like easy puzzles. I need them to be near impossible to feel any sense of accomplishment.

My mum likes puzzles without straight edges. As in the edge of the puzzle ends in the puzzle piece shapes. Also these are 1500 piece(?) puzzles with 4 extra pieces that whilst of the same picture, do not fit in anywhere.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

A Sewage Improvement District in Kansas with chickens is trying to take my donkey from me because I exercised free speech

quote:

I need help saving my donkey.

A sewage improvement company is trying to take my donkey away. I have the county's permission to have my donkey. They are doing this via an old covenant that has never legally been enforced. They give permission to some to break some covenants, but not everyone. Also, a board member of this sewage company is breaking the very covenant they are trying to enforce on me! My donkey has been here since October!!! They are only coming after me AFTER I put up a huuuuuge sign that says "University Park is a Giant Pile of poo poo"

Please help.

I need legal advice.

This is not an HoA. It is a Sewage Improvement District.

They have been attacking me for years! I have a misdomeanor (sic) because of my poor reaction to their bullying and targeted harassment. They started this when I embarrassed them and proved them wrong when they were threatening neighbors with mowing and taxes for mowing. The covenants do not say we have to keep our grass at any height and only say we are responsible for mowing. They made me mow down an acre of FLOWERS during the pandemic, and now I refuse to mow! I live in the country in the world's most endangered ecosystem. Mowing is for city people.

This sewage improvement district thinks they themselves can enforce a county resolution about grass height on lots under 2 acres.

They have been trespassing without owners' permission on only some people's lots and not others!!! I haven't mowed since 2020, yet they are applying special property tax on what they call "abandoned lots." I have been standing up against this since 2016.

The resolution: 12706-70 of Riley County Kansas specifies on the top line that it is for the unincorporated areas of the county. Guess what a sewage improvement district is? Incorperated.

They are actively dumping LIVE SEWAGE into the lake here!!! While asking for grants to build a lagoon to stop this, they paid a lawyer (probably the board member who resigned after I stopped him from trying to steal his neighbor's land by building on it openly and notoriously. I called the owners and got the board member to stop. Then I told everyone what he did so he resigned.). They paid him 5,000$ and are currently rewriting the covenants.

The covenant they are trying to enforce against me tomorrow says that we are not allowed to have "livestock or poultry" yet a board member right now has chickens!!!

I feel this is targeted harassment. Especially because no previous board meeting mentions my donkey, which has been here since Octover until after I put up my sign.

Redditor posted:

Reminds me of this quote:

So often a man is tested with news that he cannot keep his donkey, the important thing is to keep a positive comportment and remain affable to your fellow man. That is where true wisdom and comfort lies.

- Winston Churchill 1943

OP posted:

Is this real? Wow does it fit. I have major PTSD and my donkey really helps. I am seriously freaking out from this threat and the bullying. My brain is freaking out. I need my donkey and I need need need a cow.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Shanghaied posted:

Also "twin proofing the house," what does that even mean??? :psyduck: Like "ah but you see, with twins, one could stand on the shoulders of the other, so everything has to be really tall to be out of reach"???

Not necessarily as babies, but as toddlers, my sister's twin boys were able to get into mischief that a single toddler wouldn't have enough hands for.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Rescue Toaster posted:

I mean in plenty of American schools these days we're lucky that they're still teaching a heliocentric model.

https://www.ptolemywasright.com

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Moon Slayer posted:

A Sewage Improvement District in Kansas with chickens is trying to take my donkey from me because I exercised free speech

r/relationships: I have major PTSD and my donkey really helps.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

BrigadierSensible posted:

My mum likes puzzles without straight edges. As in the edge of the puzzle ends in the puzzle piece shapes.

:ohdear:
This is one of those things that should be used as an early assessment for dementia, or psychopathy

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 13, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Moon Slayer posted:

HOAs suck and a sewage improvement district sounds like some sort of nightmarish super-hoa

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

But mowing is for city people. Stop mowing your stupid lawns and grow some flowers/food/anything that doesn't suck like grass.

I say this with love, as someone that sells lawn mower parts for a living. gently caress lawns.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Mx. posted:

Wait till these MFers find out that we have winter when the US has summer... So somehow Australia (and all of the south hemisphere) is far from the sun while the US (aka The World) is closest in orbit

:psyboom:

mystes
May 31, 2006

PancakeTransmission posted:

Wait till these MFers find out that we have winter when the US has summer... So somehow Australia (and all of the south hemisphere) is far from the sun while the US (aka The World) is closest in orbit

That's why it's so egregious imo. You have to not know that the seasons work that way to even entertain the idea that it works like what the teacher said for a second, and this was a math teacher who specifically brought this topic up in a lesson, so I would expect them to have that basic knowledge or at least to have googled it before making some poo poo up. If it was English class or something and the student brought it up and the teacher just didn't believe them I think it would be a bit more understandable.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Hughlander posted:

AITA for asking wife to abort 1 twin

Bro, your first mistake was marrying a woman made of 37 females

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

PancakeTransmission posted:

It's even dafter than that cause aphelion (when the earth is furthest from the sun) occurs in July and perihelion (when the earth is closest to the sun) occurs in January. So in fact when it's summer in the US the earth as actually as far from the sun as it gets and at its closest in winter.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

r/relationships: I need my donkey and I need need need a cow.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Shanghaied posted:

Also "twin proofing the house," what does that even mean??? :psyduck: Like "ah but you see, with twins, one could stand on the shoulders of the other, so everything has to be really tall to be out of reach"???
Maybe he's worried about the two kids teaming up, scheming together, and figuring out a way to outsmart him?

Which, well, fair. I'm pretty sure OP is not smarter than two toddlers.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQCU36pkH7c

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

mystes posted:

Is there even a right answer for this? Assuming the other people knew they had a baby isn't it both their faults for not actually communicating about it?

Getting together at someone's house to watch a football game is almost always a family friendly event, the Super Bowl especially so. If the host didn't want a kid there, it was on them to specify that.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It was like regular Cheerios, Lucky Charms, Frosted Flakes, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, etc.

this might be the worst story you have every shared in this thread

mystes
May 31, 2006

Post in r/AmItheAsshole as if you are your mother and it just happened and ask if you were the rear end in a top hat for combining the cereal imo

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

mystes posted:

Post in r/AmItheAsshole as if you are your mother and it just happened and ask if you were the rear end in a top hat for combining the cereal imo

I don't keep track of the Corky EU, but if you still speak to your sister, also send her the post.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mx. posted:

One of my weirder childhood moments was a second grade teacher getting increasingly insistent and angry that you can't subtract a larger number from a smaller number, and that negative numbers did not exist.

mystes
May 31, 2006

One of my elementary school teachers insisted that third person omniscient narrators didn't exist and that if you had a third person narrator in a story they couldn't describe the thoughts of the protagonist (I guess this is pretty minor and he did later apologize but my reaction at the time was like "wtf has he ever read a book?")

One of my sister's teachers insisted that your body produced vitamin c in response to exposure to sunlight

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

One of my weirder childhood moments was a second grade teacher getting increasingly insistent and angry that you can't subtract a larger number from a smaller number, and that negative numbers did not exist.

That one's actually true according to the laws of God and nature

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

mystes posted:

"Baby" is carrying a lot of water there, one of the top reddit comments rightfully points out that a 15 month old is actually a toddling ball of destruction. If they can quietly keep the child under control that's fine, but that's really not easy at that age.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Fun fact puzzles are rarely the number they say on the box. I’m order to get closer to a natural rectangular shape that isn’t too large a 1,000 piece puzzle will generally be 1,026 (38x27) or something similar. You can do 40x25 but it’s much longer than it is tall and doesn’t fit as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

how am I supposed to have -3 apples

that is absolute nonsense

I get 3 apples and now I'm at 0 apples??? listen to yourself!