Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Ugh. Now I have to get on GoG and grab a copy of SC3K because I haven't played it in like 15 years. Gonna have to check out those widescreen/resolution patches too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I will never understand the goon obsession about what other people do with their money. Who the hell cares, honestly. Stop trying to min/max everyone else’s expenditures.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Three Olives posted:

My kitchen sin:

not pictured: the stove directly beneath the big screen

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

well why not posted:

computer; set toast to medium, coffee to hot. engage loneliness management system, full power.

3O is married ur gonna get owned for this one

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
3O uses the technology in his house to page his husband for sandwiches, etc like he’s commander Data and I’m all about that aspect of the life actually

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Radia posted:

3O is married ur gonna get owned for this one

Can still be lonely.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mental Hospitality posted:

Ugh. Now I have to get on GoG and grab a copy of SC3K because I haven't played it in like 15 years. Gonna have to check out those widescreen/resolution patches too.

oh my god???

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

oh my god???

If you add “community patch” to any relatively popular game you’ll get something at least half decent.

The modernization patches for No One Lives Forever 1 and 2 are basically miracles:

https://haekb.itch.io/nolf-modernizer

https://haekb.itch.io/nolf2-modernizer

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

A lot of the abandonware group releases will also have these modernisation patches included in the installer, it's pretty nice though irritating that the PC versions of Need for Speed Underground 1+2 still make you find the XInput patches yourself.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sigma posted:

If you add “community patch” to any relatively popular game you’ll get something at least half decent.

The modernization patches for No One Lives Forever 1 and 2 are basically miracles:

https://haekb.itch.io/nolf-modernizer

https://haekb.itch.io/nolf2-modernizer

Holy poo poo how am I only finding out about these now?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Well time to go look at Nolf revival again, they seem to have fixed up the bad interquel as well since I last checked.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hel posted:

Well time to go look at Nolf revival again, they seem to have fixed up the bad interquel as well since I last checked.

What's the deal with those?

Mostly asking because I think I still have my CDs somewhere and I'm wondering if it makes more sense to install off those (and rip them while I'm at it) or just DL that version.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Cyrano4747 posted:

What's the deal with those?

Mostly asking because I think I still have my CDs somewhere and I'm wondering if it makes more sense to install off those (and rip them while I'm at it) or just DL that version.

They are pre-patched + cracked ( including the modernization patch for nolf 1) to run on modern systems, so it's just easier than cobbling it together yourself. It's also an attempt to force someone to sue/C&D them and see who claims to own the licence but so far no one has taken the bait.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hel posted:

They are pre-patched + cracked ( including the modernization patch for nolf 1) to run on modern systems, so it's just easier than cobbling it together yourself. It's also an attempt to force someone to sue/C&D them and see who claims to own the licence but so far no one has taken the bait.

It kills me that this franchise is this dead. Christ we get a new COD every year, but this they let lapse?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Cyrano4747 posted:

It kills me that this franchise is this dead. Christ we get a new COD every year, but this they let lapse?
I think the problem with NOLF is that nobody unambiguously owns it. Nightdive wanted to do something with it a few years ago but they got roadblocked by Warner Bros.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I think the two big "who has this" players are WB and Disney-via-Fox, and at least one side has said they're not making any moves unless forced to (ie, someone tries putting it on sale without giving them a cut). Nobody feels like it's worth the cost to look for the paperwork in archives, but they also don't want to give up a potentially free payday by shrugging.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

priznat posted:

I will never understand the goon obsession about what other people do with their money. Who the hell cares, honestly. Stop trying to min/max everyone else’s expenditures.

Not emptyquote

And God drat, nolf modernization patches are a thing?? :raise:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Coffee Jones posted:

CRD (and Metal Jesus for retro games people) turn up at RE:PC in the Seattle area - http://www.repc.com/ which occasionally gets some uh, that's not a windows PC :dogstare: items.

Back when I was in college at U of Illinois there's a sizable research institution as part of the campus, and it was just around the time when proprietary Unix workstation systems were seeing their end. Who needs a lab full of $15000 UltraSPARC Sun Blade running solaris when a $1500 Pentium 4 Dell running Redhat was just as fine or better for the kids learning C++.
So, I got to visit a similar dumping ground for scrap hardware. All kinds of exotic poo poo wound up going through there. I only wish I could have visited similar places in Silicon Valley or MIT at the time.

I still remember a willamette P4 alone in 2000-2001 was enough to buy an entire Athlon 1GHz+ PC, and the 256MB RDRAM was enough to buy a second one

Palladium fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 13, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

priznat posted:

I'll never stop shop shaming :colbert:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

priznat posted:

the screen is directly over the stove

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

trilobite terror posted:

where should the screen go then?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

HKR posted:

where should the screen go then?

away from the stove?

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

trilobite terror posted:

away from the stove?

but then what do you do for a stove screen?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
the cat should be directly above the stove

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

trilobite terror posted:

I’m getting the sense that you either don’t know how to cook or are some kind of menace in the kitchen because the wall behind your stove should neither get hot enough or get enough food on it to pose any risk to electronics.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Three Olives posted:

I’m getting the sense that you either don’t know how to cook or are some kind of menace in the kitchen because the wall behind your stove should neither get hot enough or get enough food on it to pose any risk to electronics.

you’re still going to get vapor and oil/grease collection all over it

nasty

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Three Olives posted:

Screen is going to get crazy gross from cooking residue, though, even with a good vent.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Screen is going to get crazy gross from cooking residue, though, even with a good vent.

Been there for years with me cooking several times a week without issue. I live in a house from the 1940s, if there was another place where I could put it when I am cooking I would, alas, they didn't put large open kitchens in street car suburbs in the 40s.

But if it breaks after years of use I will just buy a new one, it cost like $100 and I like watching the news while I cook dinner.

Also the TV is 6" back and 13" higher than the closest burner, again, I don't know how you cook but even when I am making like stir fry with chili infused oil, it never gets dirty.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 13, 2024

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

not going to bat for 30 here but it's trivial to clean a screen, and used flat panels are so thick on the ground for next to nothing that I genuinely don't see a problem here aside from the fact that 30 did it.

HKR fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 13, 2024

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

trilobite terror posted:

you’re still going to get vapor and oil/grease collection all over it

nasty

have you ever heard of cleaning? try it, it's the new thing.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Can someone link a long form video about whatever we are talking about so I can REALLY understand

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Currently bidding on a horseshoe shaped lcd screen to put around the base of my toilet

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Currently bidding on a horseshoe shaped lcd screen to put around the base of my toilet

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I mean it is useful to have a floor that makes you poo poo yourself.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The Russians put a tv away from the stove for their TV needs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the hot tip on SC3000. I got the fan patch working and I was building a city in glorious 1080p this afternoon.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like animal/farming vids and there was one about “flystrike” on sheep and it was gross as hell and now my animal video recommendations are extremely nasty lol

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Hopefully you can go to your Youtube viewing history and click an X next to that video to remove it and stop it from influencing the algorithm on you.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

A good poster posted:

Hopefully you can go to your Youtube viewing history and click an X next to that video to remove it and stop it from influencing the algorithm on you.

This + using "not interested" and "don't recommend channel" in your feed are the key to curating the algorithm into not giving you poo poo you don't want to see.

Some people swear it only works for a few weeks but I've never experienced something like that, and I don't remember the last time it tried to shove a rogan or jorp video in my face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

Kazinsal posted:

This + using "not interested" and "don't recommend channel" in your feed are the key to curating the algorithm into not giving you poo poo you don't want to see.

Some people swear it only works for a few weeks but I've never experienced something like that, and I don't remember the last time it tried to shove a rogan or jorp video in my face.

Shorts is the battleground for that now. I get poo poo that shows up in Shorts that never comes up in my regular feed - Jorp, Rogan, Shapiro, tradwife hype bros quoting bible verses recently for some reason - and you don't get those options in a Short. Just like or dislike, and both of those are Engagement and just make it more likely for similar videos to show up