Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

PupsOfWar posted:

I also have a soft spot for the Age of Strife/Unification era, I think it comes from Thundarr the Barbarian being my favorite saturday morning cartoon growing up

Stuff like Tales of the Dying Earth always hits me pretty good

or the Prophet reboot comic

Oh man, thanks for reminding me, I haven't thought about Thundarr in a hot minute. Time to go find the intro on youtube

e; https://youtu.be/4I9blXQEHyw?si=qjhpWwGwMm9257HA

hell yea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
Read Rath’s Fall of Cadia, and it was a lot of fun.

Very clear Rath is a screenwriter, basically all exposition is via dialogue, 90% of the descriptions are visual, 10% audio, and you can basically feel the camera pan/zoom/fade instructions as scenes unfold.

But that’s me being a literature snob, for Warham space shooties it is a blast, the dialogue is punchy, and there are excellent humor beats just like TIATD. (It is still funny but far less funny than TIATD). Also we get some great Trayzen and Cawl bits - honestly I wish there was more of them

Totally worth your $10

Grilled Beef fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 12, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Grilled Beef posted:

Read Rath’s Fall of Cadia, and it was a lot of fun.

Very clear Rath is a screenwriter, basically all exposition is via dialogue, 90% of the descriptions are visual, 10% audio, and you can basically feel the camera pan/zoom/fade instructions as scenes unfold.

But that’s me being a literature snob, for Warham space shooties it is a blast, the dialogue is punchy, and there are excellent humor beats just like TIATD. (It is still funny but far less funny than TIATD). Also we get some great Trayzen and Cawl bits - honestly I wish there was more of them

Totally worth your $10

he rights for a youtube channel history program alot so i can very much see it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So question that has been on my mind for a bit.

The dark mechanium split, partially, because they wanted to innovate and invent. So why is the chaos tech level the same/lesser than the Imperium? Like in 1000 years we had such a crazy shift in tech here on earth, why not more after 10000 loving years right?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

bunnyofdoom posted:

The dark mechanium split, partially, because they wanted to innovate and invent. So why is the chaos tech level the same/lesser than the Imperium? Like in 1000 years we had such a crazy shift in tech here on earth, why not more after 10000 loving years right?

They specifically wanted to innovate using warp-derived technology, which is itself a form of stagnation. The chaos gods will never allow them to develop anything that meaningfully helps anyone or actually advances the frontiers of science, it’s just a thousand different versions of A Computer Virus That Kills You or Jamming a Daemon Into a Gun.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
There's also the revolutionary technology of Stuffing A Reactor Full Of Daemons, which provides unlimited zero-emissions energy until the daemons inevitably escape :gibs:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Also with warp fuckery with the passage of time, hasn’t it not been anywhere near 10,000 years from their perspective?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Let the Emperor's slaves fawn over their horseless gun carriages - We've created a buggy whip from the very fabric of Hell itself!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Also the dark mechanicum suffers the same flaw as the mechanics where any actual invention is kept in one warring tech lord's hands or another and never publicly released.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Oh yeah before I forget, someone recommend some good 40K audiobooks to burn future Audible credits on.

As a frame of reference, I already have:
The Infinite and the Divine
Lords of Silence
Assassinorum: Kingmaker
Brutal Kunnin’
Ciaphas Cain: Vainglorious
Rites of Passage
Servants of the Inquisition
A bunch of Adepta Sororitas audiobooks

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Xenomrph posted:

Oh yeah before I forget, someone recommend some good 40K audiobooks to burn future Audible credits on.

Lords of Silence
Brutal Kunnin’
Rites of Passage

you already do Eisenhorn?

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

PupsOfWar posted:

or the Prophet reboot comic

God the prophet reboot whips so much rear end

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Lords of Silence
Brutal Kunnin’
Rites of Passage

Watchers of the throne and that whole series.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 13, 2024

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Potato Salad posted:

Do that series sooner rather than later.

Also look into Rite of Passage. Really good, character-driven intrigue in a Navigator house.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Bohemian Nights posted:

I would also like to see more stuff from era indomitus, but I am also wary, because this is the same company that killed off the old world and replaced it with the incredibly boring age of sigmar setting

They've explicitly said they learned from that and used what they learned when they brought back Guilliman. I think what I want is more... consequential Indomidus stuff. The Dawn of Fire series is all Indomidus, but feels very "in it's own box". By comparison the Plague Wars FEEL important because they have the main fleet of the Crusade running around with Guilliman to fight another primarch. Obviously not all of the books can be as consequential, but I think this is what Battletech nailed pretty well in the early 00's and 90's. You had strings of books that would talk about the politics of the universe and how the leaders were handling it (Mostly Stackpole's stuff) Meanwhile other authors were given their own corners to work in and occasional crossovers.

One thing I remember Stackpole stating in an interview (rather recently actually, within the past two years with Renegade HPG) was that when they decided to start moving the story foreword, you can't have Entropy working on your tech. People have to start learning new stuff. In Modern 40k this is represented by Cawl within the Ad Mech. And I think some of the things that GW is going to have to do in the near future is have a paradigm shift within the universe to allow new things to be created more frequently.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I recently read Steel frame which has a great setting that clearly draws from 40k Inspo. Anyone got any non 40k books they like that have similar tones? I'm ok with a fantasy or sci-fi setting but like you know, in the bones of a crumbling empire, rage against the dying of the light etc etc?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

bunnyofdoom posted:

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

They specifically wanted to innovate using warp-derived technology, which is itself a form of stagnation. The chaos gods will never allow them to develop anything that meaningfully helps anyone or actually advances the frontiers of science, it’s just a thousand different versions of A Computer Virus That Kills You or Jamming a Daemon Into a Gun.

From the Greyknights book I read ages ago where the Dark Mechanicus priest is talking up his Hunter Killer Programs that are described as just demons living in data streams and even having the protag Greyknight directly telling them "Uh these are just demons, bruh" And then proceeds to kill them with anti demon weapons and all to the dismay of the dark mechanicus priest. (Paraphrasing)

Kylaer posted:

There's also the revolutionary technology of Stuffing A Reactor Full Of Daemons, which provides unlimited zero-emissions energy until the daemons inevitably escape :gibs:

If we could just properly enslave demons to do our will like Perturabo, the greatest of the primarchs.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
None of the Dark Mech make use of AI, fraud status confirmed.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Potato Salad posted:

Not as an audiobook, but I do own the print editions of the Eisenhorn and Ravenor trilogies. I’ve been meaning to re-read them.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sorry to double-post, but if I like buying codexes for lore and art and less about rules and stats (although I guess that stuff is neat too), are the 10th edition Necron and Mechanicus codexes worth my time when compared to the 9th edition ones?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Calax posted:

They've explicitly said they learned from that and used what they learned when they brought back Guilliman. I think what I want is more... consequential Indomidus stuff. The Dawn of Fire series is all Indomidus, but feels very "in it's own box". By comparison the Plague Wars FEEL important because they have the main fleet of the Crusade running around with Guilliman to fight another primarch. Obviously not all of the books can be as consequential, but I think this is what Battletech nailed pretty well in the early 00's and 90's. You had strings of books that would talk about the politics of the universe and how the leaders were handling it (Mostly Stackpole's stuff) Meanwhile other authors were given their own corners to work in and occasional crossovers.

One thing I remember Stackpole stating in an interview (rather recently actually, within the past two years with Renegade HPG) was that when they decided to start moving the story foreword, you can't have Entropy working on your tech. People have to start learning new stuff. In Modern 40k this is represented by Cawl within the Ad Mech. And I think some of the things that GW is going to have to do in the near future is have a paradigm shift within the universe to allow new things to be created more frequently.

I kind of like Cawl's justification for his outlook. The actual wonders of the Dark Age are basically magic. STCs are better than most of what the Imperium has, and they're harbor freight tools for dirt farmers. Fenris was a resort world for weirdo survivalist types who tinkered with their own genes just because.

As far as he's concerned, humanity really did used to know everything.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

MariusLecter posted:

If we could just properly enslave demons to do our will like Perturabo, the greatest of the primarchs.

More like NEETest of the primarchs :spergin:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

wiegieman posted:

I kind of like Cawl's justification for his outlook. The actual wonders of the Dark Age are basically magic. STCs are better than most of what the Imperium has, and they're harbor freight tools for dirt farmers. Fenris was a resort world for weirdo survivalist types who tinkered with their own genes just because.

As far as he's concerned, humanity really did used to know everything.

There was also the ship with the AI and a black hole cannon.

Farseer: I read the future and avoid your attack!

AI: I rewind time and try again.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Z the IVth posted:

There was also the ship with the AI and a black hole cannon.

Farseer: I read the future and avoid your attack!

AI: I rewind time and try again.

What book was this in? It sounds vaguely familiar but I can’t place it.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

kim jong-illin posted:

What book was this in? It sounds vaguely familiar but I can’t place it.

The priests of mars trilogy by McNeill iirc.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 13, 2024

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Angry Lobster posted:

The priests of mar trilogy by McNeill iirc.

The encounter is somewhat paraphrased but that's the one.

Not sure if the AI rewound time or just used a gun that warped reality so much that even a Farseer couldn't gently caress his way out of it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
excuse me the Speranza is not an AI, it's just an uhhhhhhhh very eccentric machine spirit. Totally different thing please stop asking follow-ups.

I'm still sad that whole storyline is probably dead forever and also that we still haven't gotten anymore real 40k cyberpunk like the coda story from the omnibus.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I got most of the way through that omnibus last year and then better stuff got released and I set it aside and haven't gotten back to it. It was pretty funny that they're taking this massive expedition into the harshest parts of the galaxy in order to find knowledge, but if they bothered to dig into the secrets their own ship is already harboring they'd find miracles aplenty.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Lords of Silence
Brutal Kunnin’
Rites of Passage

If the Night Lords trilogy is on Audible, get that post haste.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Shroud posted:

If the Night Lords trilogy is on Audible, get that post haste.

That, and then add the Fabius Bile trilogy.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kylaer posted:

I got most of the way through that omnibus last year and then better stuff got released and I set it aside and haven't gotten back to it. It was pretty funny that they're taking this massive expedition into the harshest parts of the galaxy in order to find knowledge, but if they bothered to dig into the secrets their own ship is already harboring they'd find miracles aplenty.

Stories about DAOT AIs are always wild. There's the other one hacks all the magi and the armour of the marines that get close, then blows away 2 battleships with one shot from a gun on its frigate-sized Hull before loving off without needing a navigator.

This one apparently later quarreled with Cawl and lost so it's probably not that smart.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Cawl was probably using the really annoying personality though, that's unfair.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Azubah posted:

Cawl was probably using the really annoying personality though, that's unfair.

Cawl Inferior surreptitiously replaces all of Cawl's personalities with "Pedantic condescending rear end in a top hat" in an attempt to get Cawl murdered.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kylaer posted:

Cawl Inferior surreptitiously replaces all of Cawl's personalities with "Pedantic condescending rear end in a top hat" in an attempt to get Cawl murdered.

Cawl Inferior: smart enough to gently caress things up, not smart enough to understand that Cawl doesn't want to be fabricator general and in fact would be a terrible choice for the job.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I just finished the Apharius primarch book, and was disappointed. It's workmanlike but ultimately dull, a litany of Things That Happened (maybe).

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So I've read my first Warhammer books! Fun stuff, if a little schlocky. Read the first Eisenhorn trilogy (very good) and the first Cain anthology (not as well-written but I think the character is more fun) as well as starting on the Eisenhorn Magos book, which has kinda sucked so far, most of it is short stories that don't actually have Eisenhorn in them.

What else should I try? What are the better series? I'd like more Cain novels but as far as I can tell they're all out of print and overpriced. Do I just have to buy digital for most of it?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Phenotype posted:

So I've read my first Warhammer books! Fun stuff, if a little schlocky. Read the first Eisenhorn trilogy (very good) and the first Cain anthology (not as well-written but I think the character is more fun) as well as starting on the Eisenhorn Magos book, which has kinda sucked so far, most of it is short stories that don't actually have Eisenhorn in them.

What else should I try? What are the better series? I'd like more Cain novels but as far as I can tell they're all out of print and overpriced. Do I just have to buy digital for most of it?

ravenor and bequin series if you liked eisenhorn

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Aaron Demski Bowden novels are good if you want to branch into more Space Marine focused stories.

If you enjoyed Cain and guardsmen then you may enjoy Gaunts Ghosts by Abnett, the Eisenhorn author. Cain is to the Flashman novels what Gaunt's Ghosts is to the Sharpe series.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Phenotype posted:

• Night Lords Trilogy - by Aaron Demski Bowden. You too can become strangely attached to a bunch of cowardly psychopaths!
  • Gaunt's Ghosts - by Dan Abnett. What if various bits of WW1 and WW2.. were in Space??? IMO it's best to start at book 3; Necropolis.
  • The Twice Dead King: Ruin and its sequel, The Twice Dead King: Reign - by Nate Crowley. Turns out robots can have Brain Problems, even without brains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Phenotype posted:

If you want a lighter look at the horrors of humanity I'd recommend Brutal Kunnin and Warboss, they both offer the best looks at what the Imperium mostly is. The third one is coming later this month.