Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched the Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents. And honestly? It's the most successful adaption of the Discworld books yet. It works both as a stand alone story and as an adaption. Even the addition of the Pied Piper sequence seems like something Pratchett could've written.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I have been reading Terry Pratchett for over 25 years and it was just now pointed out to me that dwarf bread is supposed to be a parallel of Tolkien's elf bread, which can also keep you going for days but which can't be used to beat a troll to death.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Also the dwarf bread generally isn't actually eaten and just reminds you of how much you'd rather be eating literally anything else.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Also the dwarf bread generally isn't actually eaten and just reminds you of how much you'd rather be eating literally anything else.

Memories of going to dinner at my uncle's house

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The talk of dwarf bread reminded me of the Scone of Stone and the Low King's ax from The Fifth Elephant, both of which have colored my view of the Ship of Theseus problem to the point that I can't grok the opposing view.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It's worse than that. The baker over in Genua puts fruit in it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Read the biography and, yeah...things get grim at the ending. One thing that surprised me though is how late Pratchett started writing. There's a pretty big chance that history could've gone in the other leg of the trousers of time where he tended his goats and never wrote anything.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

We froze for a week recently and it reminded me that I need to get more of what I call Dwarf Bread Soup for the pantry. Stuff that's edible and everything but I dislike it enough that it'll still be there when I NEED it. For me it's Campbell's chicken soup. Tastes fine when actually heated up but it's so greasy and smells so gross (to me) when cold that I'm not going to eat it when I have other supplies.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Haven't read a Pratchett book in years and years but he was, ultimately, pretty integral to who I am as a person. I'm fairly sure a lot of my moral instincts come from his books. I wept so so much the day he died, I remember just sitting at my desk in my job at the time and I was shattered. He was diagnosed near the end of my adolescence and he died just before I transitioned and started to unfuck my life a bit. I miss him.

I guess this is my way of saying - what should I reread? I've reread my favourites so much over the years I don't quite know what the revisit, and I'm terrified they won't hold up to my memories.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You should reread Carpe Jugulum because I Love Agnes Nitt.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Small Gods is the best of the Discworld books so why not start with a bang (of a turtle hitting something from a great height)?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

lines posted:

Haven't read a Pratchett book in years and years but he was, ultimately, pretty integral to who I am as a person. I'm fairly sure a lot of my moral instincts come from his books. I wept so so much the day he died, I remember just sitting at my desk in my job at the time and I was shattered. He was diagnosed near the end of my adolescence and he died just before I transitioned and started to unfuck my life a bit. I miss him.

I guess this is my way of saying - what should I reread? I've reread my favourites so much over the years I don't quite know what the revisit, and I'm terrified they won't hold up to my memories.

They will hold up, don't worry about that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

lines posted:

The biography will make you cry a lot but in an extremely good way, it's excellent.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jedit posted:

They will hold up, don't worry about that.

And yeah, until the fuckening starts to bite he's still really really good and you will certainly pick up puns you missed last time

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
I recently reread Going Postal and it's about 10-20% off from peak Pratchett, and Making Money definitely feels more off. Too much dialogue from Vetinari, for one. And then I've started to reread Interesting Times concurrently, and it's so much tighter and, just, better.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I only really felt the quality dip in Raising Steam, right at the very end.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I had a vague memory of buying a copy of a Discworld novel that was signed and I looked around and it is a copy of Making Money. Not my favorite book in the series but it's definitely a hold on to since it's got Terry's squiggle inside.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I got Hat Full of Sky actually signed by him in person and then bought first run or whatever copies of Making Money and Shepherds Crown signed from the official website.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
I queued up in Blackwell's in Cardiff in 1993 (or possibly 1994) to get a paperback of Soul Music signed. Still got it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

sebmojo posted:

The biography will make you cry a lot but in an extremely good way, it's excellent.

It's heart breaking reading about how Rob realizes that Pratchett's stories doesn't make sense but at the same time It's the only thing that gives him purpose.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Alhazred posted:

It's heart breaking reading about how Rob realizes that Pratchett's stories doesn't make sense but at the same time It's the only thing that gives him purpose.

Reading the book it definitely made me wonder just how much of the last ten Discworld novels or so was actually Rob providing the cement for Terry's bricks. I don't have my books here with me right now, but is he ever credited in some way? I don't remember any "Thanks to" notes in the beginning of the books ever, but that also may be my bad memory. He's definitely flown under the radar for most casual readers.

"Tiffany Aching's Guide to Being a Witch" definitely doesn't mention him anywhere, to the extent where I wondered/feared if it was a deliberate snub and whether there had been some bad blood between him and Rhianna in the aftermath. But maybe my brain has just been poisoned by exposure to American showbusiness news - I do hope they're all doing fine. Since neither of them seem to be very active on social media, it can be hard to tell sometimes.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I had always assumed that Rob was doing a lot to help him over the line at the end. One thing I do remember is that at some point the characters stopped sounding like themselves, presumably because it just got harder and harder to hit that consistent character voice, and I suspect that's more true when you have someone acting as amanuensis and live editor or whatnot. I don't mean any shade to Rob over that to be clear. It must have been impossibly hard.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dave Syndrome posted:

Reading the book it definitely made me wonder just how much of the last ten Discworld novels or so was actually Rob providing the cement for Terry's bricks. I don't have my books here with me right now, but is he ever credited in some way? I don't remember any "Thanks to" notes in the beginning of the books ever, but that also may be my bad memory. He's definitely flown under the radar for most casual readers.

He is completey open about what books he had to put together and which one he didn't have to do that. There's no need to speculate.

Reading the book I also found it interesting that Pratchett didn't really have any beef with Rowling either. He wrote one article and that was that.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 7, 2024

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Alhazred posted:

There also isn't any need to try and invent a story about bad blood between Rob and Rhianna.

Apologies if it came across that way - that was not my intention in the least.

(EDIT: Rambling explanation snipped. I'm going through some personal crap right now that leads to me posting inside thoughts, worries and fears outside. I'm going to take a break from posting for a while. If some friendly mod could hit me with a one month probation or so, I'd appreciate it. Sorry again.)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 7, 2024

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dave Syndrome posted:

Apologies if it came across that way - that was not my intention in the least.

(EDIT: Rambling explanation snipped. I'm going through some personal crap right now that leads to me posting inside thoughts, worries and fears outside. I'm going to take a break from posting for a while. If some friendly mod could hit me with a one month probation or so, I'd appreciate it. Sorry again.)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

<3 to you goonfriend, pm me if you want to come back early otherwise see you on your return.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Skyl3lazer posted:

I only really felt the quality dip in Raising Steam, right at the very end.

Snuff was the first one where I really noticed it feeling different. What would have been a witty aside or a pithy back-and-forth in earlier books is now a page-long monologue. I don't know if "heavy handed" is exactly the right term, because it's not like earlier books were exactly subtle with a lot of the message, but it just feels a lot rougher and unrefined from Snuff onwards.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Snuff was the first one where I really noticed it feeling different. What would have been a witty aside or a pithy back-and-forth in earlier books is now a page-long monologue. I don't know if "heavy handed" is exactly the right term, because it's not like earlier books were exactly subtle with a lot of the message, but it just feels a lot rougher and unrefined from Snuff onwards.

One thing I do think you noticed, if only subconsciously, is that despite quite a few people dying in the book Snuff is the only Discworld novel in which Death does not appear. I think Pterry had things on his mind at the time.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Snuff and Raising Steam are the only "bad" Discworld books imo, though tbh I didn't really like The Shepard's Crown either. The obvious bits are still good but there's some writing in there that made me think "man this reads like Discworld fanfic" at the time :smith:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The fact that Shepard's Crown reached a state where they could publish it at all is a small miracle.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Snuff and Raising Steam are the only "bad" Discworld books imo, though tbh I didn't really like The Shepard's Crown either. The obvious bits are still good but there's some writing in there that made me think "man this reads like Discworld fanfic" at the time :smith:

Even Snuff is internally coherent.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Snuff was the first Discworld book I ever bounced off of, and that's when I knew it was time.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Alhazred posted:

The fact that Shepard's Crown reached a state where they could publish it at all is a small miracle.

I think the entirety of the effort went into That Chapter, which makes me cry every single time I read it.

The rest of the book is just there to give a reason for that chapter to exist.

TriggerHappyMarie
Sep 15, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

I think the entirety of the effort went into That Chapter, which makes me cry every single time I read it.

The rest of the book is just there to give a reason for that chapter to exist.

^^ This. The rest of the book, you can see such a decline. And then that chapter hits, it guts you extra hard.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I'll say it yet again, The Shepherd's Crown is a genuine miracle. To go from Raising Steam, a completely Not Great book, to all the cool stuff in Shepherd's Crown? I really don't want to be crass here but terminal lucidity is the only thing that comes to mind

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Large parts of Shepherds Crown were written a while before the embuggerance really took hold.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Me n Nova just finished Carpe Jugulum. I had a blast doing vampiric accent variations. We have already read most of the Tiffany Aching books so we were already introduced to the Nac Mac Feegle.

I think my favorite bit is Igor, it's written with the speech built in, it's like Terry knew what voice i was already going to do.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

sebmojo posted:

Got like four pages in before I started crying a bit. This is going to be a rough ride, isn't it?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

lines posted:

Got like four pages in before I started crying a bit. This is going to be a rough ride, isn't it?

There's a kind of ... thoughtful rigour ...to it that makes it even sadder, but you have a lot of pages before it really bites.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Phenotype posted:

I have been reading Terry Pratchett for over 25 years and it was just now pointed out to me that dwarf bread is supposed to be a parallel of Tolkien's elf bread, which can also keep you going for days but which can't be used to beat a troll to death.

Also surprisingly real-world accurate, if you've ever tried to eat hardtack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

sebmojo posted:

There's a kind of ... thoughtful rigour ...to it that makes it even sadder, but you have a lot of pages before it really bites.

Yeah, it gives you a little taste but then things are so good for so long you can kind of forget it even if you know it’s coming, and then, well.