Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I just had a theory. Patty Jenkins was offered a Star Wars so she pulled a Game of Thrones and just rushed her Wonder Woman out the door with a first draft and didn’t bother with second takes in order to get it done asap and run off to Star Wars.

And much like game of thrones she didn’t get her Star Wars lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

colonelwest posted:

I could see it flopping pretty hard honestly. The time for a Mando movie was right after season 2 came out. The show has been sputtering since then, and it’s not going to have the mainstream appeal to carry a big budget Star Wars film in 2026. They’re going to strike while the iron is dead cold.

Striking when the iron could never be colder is a disney classic strat

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Striking when the iron could never be colder is a disney classic strat

Disney on icetm

mystes
May 31, 2006

What if they put Deadpool in it though?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

colonelwest posted:

Is Disney actually allowing it to be R rated?

Gonna get some miramax jokes outta this one

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

MarcusSA posted:

After watching the Deadpool 3 trailer I really hope that the Disney executives really are the main villain as is implied from what they’ve shown.

I had a joke a few years ago where they battled a bunch of disneys lawyers and if that ends up the case, I will... probably do nothing and pout about it

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
in 2019 lucasfilm pivoted from their "make one star wars movie a year every year until the end of time! :buddy:" plan to their current "let's... just never actually make one ever again 😞" plan, which has lasted about as long and is working out much better

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Deadpool 3 is going to save the MCU (derogatory)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cubone posted:

in 2019 lucasfilm pivoted from their "make one star wars movie a year every year until the end of time! :buddy:" plan to their current "let's... just never actually make one ever again 😞" plan, which has lasted about as long and is working out much better

Between comic book movies dying and star wars stuff dying hasn't been a good last few years for disney. I wonder if they'll go back to producing good quality original animations!

Hahaha, but yeah it will be interesting to see if they just continue to try and bleed starwars and marvel till every last drop is gone, or if they'll see what other ip they can make a blockbuster series out of.

Probably both.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I still see star wars fans constantly trying to think up ways to save the franchise and it always entirely misses the point. They'll just start listing cool characters we haven't seen in live action or "Actually we've had very little official content set in the 6 ABY time frame, there's so much interesting stuff going on in canon".

None of that poo poo matters, what matters is good writing, a good production. But I feel like the fans and disney are still so stuck in this "action figure" mentality where they just need to figure out the right mix of action figures to throw together and surely they'll have a hit. No, just do what Andor did and just do good writing, just give a poo poo about the actual production and not which characters and which force powers are on display

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

dr_rat posted:

Between comic book movies dying and star wars stuff dying hasn't been a good last few years for disney. I wonder if they'll go back to producing good quality original animations!

of the 7 pixar/disney animation movies in the pipeline that have been announced 6 are sequels and 1 original!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I still see star wars fans constantly trying to think up ways to save the franchise and it always entirely misses the point. They'll just start listing cool characters we haven't seen in live action or "Actually we've had very little official content set in the 6 ABY time frame, there's so much interesting stuff going on in canon".

None of that poo poo matters, what matters is good writing, a good production. But I feel like the fans and disney are still so stuck in this "action figure" mentality where they just need to figure out the right mix of action figures to throw together and surely they'll have a hit. No, just do what Andor did and just do good writing, just give a poo poo about the actual production and not which characters and which force powers are on display

yeah. that action figure mentality doesnt even hold when you think about the mandalorian and how they pulled him out of thin air, but it was a huge success nonetheless

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Space Kablooey posted:

yeah. that action figure mentality doesnt even hold when you think about the mandalorian and how they pulled him out of thin air, but it was a huge success nonetheless

what are you talking about? they literally started with “another palette-swapped Boba Fett and a baby yoda” and went from there

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
is it a cold take to think the avengers infinity saga was majorly carried by rdj’s sheer unbridled charisma? maybe not carried per se, but his tony stark was the glue that held a lot of in retrospect mediocre crossover movies together at least until infinity war when the thanos plot actually elevated things. where do you go after endgame with the load blown and no tony stark? obviously you dont go the route they did end up going and you could argue there was never any way for them to do it again, but for fucks sake at least try to fill the charisma vacuum

star wars on the other hand is and has always been a series of glorified toy commercials

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Not really a hot take at all, no. The movies were definitely held up by their cast and he foremost among them. It's one of the few things I'll say they did very well

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

dr_rat posted:

Hahaha, but yeah it will be interesting to see if they just continue to try and bleed starwars and marvel till every last drop is gone, or if they'll see what other ip they can make a blockbuster series out of.

Probably both.

i hope we see disney die within the next 5-10 years, faster if possible, tia

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

dreezy posted:

is it a cold take to think the avengers infinity saga was majorly carried by rdj’s sheer unbridled charisma? maybe not carried per se, but his tony stark was the glue that held a lot of in retrospect mediocre crossover movies together at least until infinity war when the thanos plot actually elevated things. where do you go after endgame with the load blown and no tony stark? obviously you dont go the route they did end up going and you could argue there was never any way for them to do it again, but for fucks sake at least try to fill the charisma vacuum

star wars on the other hand is and has always been a series of glorified toy commercials

if they took a couple years after endgame before doing any new marvel movies then people would have probably been much more excited for the slop. same with stars war, if there was a 2+ year wait between each they could do them indefinitely

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Watching Norbit for the first time. Not very good so far, but I did get a good laugh out of this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxKmRXipd2E

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

CaptainBeefart posted:

Watching Norbit for the first time.

care to explain why

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
watching norbit presumable alone and not as part of some group bad movie night is a crusade only for the brave

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

CaptainBeefart posted:

What brought you to this lowly state?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CaptainBeefart posted:

Watching Norbit for the first time. Not very good so far, but I did get a good laugh out of this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxKmRXipd2E

Do you need us to call a mental health professional?

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

It's on TV and Terry Crews is in it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

As nice as that would be, they do seem to be one of the few studios actually still making profits.

Also just as large as Disney is, Jesus they would have to screw the pooch hard and fast to be gone within 5-10.

poo poo they have $205 Billion in assets, they'd have to make some seriously bad investments to burn through that.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

CaptainBeefart posted:

so not only are you watching norbit but you are also watching norbit with 2 minutes of ads every 20 minutes

prayin for u brother

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

CaptainBeefart posted:

This is a safe space. Show me on the doll where Norbit destroyed your love of movies.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

CaptainBeefart posted:

I think this might be considered self harm

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Never saw Norbit but Bowfinger is a goddamn masterpiece that deserved much better

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

watching norbit while Stevie Griffith walks along the bottom of the screen tapping the glass so you know there’s a family guy marathon sfterwards

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

disneys hail mary is gonna be cracking open the vault and releasing blu rays of all their... outdated material

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Rich would love Eddie Murphys old Asian man character

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

poisonpill posted:

watching norbit while Stevie Griffith walks along the bottom of the screen tapping the glass so you know there’s a family guy marathon sfterwards

Lol

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The OG marvel character casting was pretty masterful, I can’t think of many of them who didn’t pull off their respective roles either pretty well (scarjo, thread favourite Pratt) to amazingly perfectly (RDJ, Chris Evans, Thor guy).

Really one of the few misses I think was Mark Ruffalo but that’s a combo of liking Eric Bana as Banner more and being annoyed at the poo poo CG for “smart hulk”

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Milo and POTUS posted:

disneys hail mary is gonna be cracking open the vault and releasing blu rays of all their... outdated material

This is your one chance to get all our old racist stuff in 4k before we seal it away for another 70 years!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The play after end game was to do X-men but they didn’t have them so what are ya gonna do

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Mark Ruffalo is such a genuinely nice, airheaded liberal who fervently wants to save the environment that I have to love him

Honestly the initial avengers cast was basically flawless. I still rep my Rener App daily

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

trilobite terror posted:

what are you talking about? they literally started with “another palette-swapped Boba Fett and a baby yoda” and went from there

This is earth shakingly original and out of left field for star wars / it's fandom tho

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

trilobite terror posted:

the points is that they werent previously established characters from the dregs of the EU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

"What if someone had to protect a baby" is a star wars idea worth several billion. Unfortunately it's the only new idea anyone was able to come up with outside of andor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

poisonpill posted:

Mark Ruffalo is such a genuinely nice, airheaded liberal who fervently wants to save the environment that I have to love him

Honestly the initial avengers cast was basically flawless. I still rep my Rener App daily

I like him too I just don’t think he was a great banner tho.