Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
yeah Dominion is an amazingly solid design given its age. It's one of those rare games where its weak points were all linked to its original format (paper cards) and playing it digitally fixes pretty much every single one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Reminder that Dominions is now on Steam, and the AI is actually pretty drat good! I only had a coinflip chance of winning vs 4 hard AIs, which is perfect honestly. Also has a very functional/fast UI, unlike other games I've played where things are flashy but slow.

Only problem is they expect you to buy all the xpacks individually, again. Argh.

Between Mtg and Dominions and other TT experience, I've firmly turned my nose up at these deckbuilding games. Spoiled, I've been.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Serephina posted:

Reminder that Dominions is now on Steam, and the AI is actually pretty drat good! I only had a coinflip chance of winning vs 4 hard AIs, which is perfect honestly. Also has a very functional/fast UI, unlike other games I've played where things are flashy but slow.

Only problem is they expect you to buy all the xpacks individually, again. Argh.

Between Mtg and Dominions and other TT experience, I've firmly turned my nose up at these deckbuilding games. Spoiled, I've been.

Dominion, Dominions is another game :P

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

Indies' Lies got a new free mode, Dragon Abyss, where instead of progressing through three maps with a team of heroes you use a single hero to partially explore ten rings of hidden cells before fighting the boss of each. I can't exactly call it a rush mode as it takes longer than a regular game, but it's a neat take on the game. It also lets you unlock new skins and card effects.

Good grief does this mode ever outstay its welcome. I have a go and by boss VI the talents were taking up half the screen and whatever enemy I was fighting would just die in 1 or 2 turns.

This game is the most egregious example of a deckbuilder allowing deck thinning ever: each card you add gives you the choice of replacing an existing one, and then you can enhance them with runes on top of that. Crazy. There's not really any meaningful pushback from the game or enemies on just making a deck that goes off and loops, at least on the Wizard.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Osmosisch posted:

This game is the most egregious example of a deckbuilder allowing deck thinning ever: each card you add gives you the choice of replacing an existing one, and then you can enhance them with runes on top of that. Crazy. There's not really any meaningful pushback from the game or enemies on just making a deck that goes off and loops, at least on the Wizard.

Back when Indies' Lies had a standard ascension system replacing cards was completely disabled somewhere around A12. It's now an option in the heat system to make each replacement cost an increasing amount of gold. None of which applies to Dragon Abyss, though, that's just a side thing to unlock a few skins and card backs and it uses the basic difficulty that is very easy.

Right with you on it taking too long per run, though, and so is almost everyone on the official Discord. Runs take over an hour and you need something like 20 to unlock all the stuff even if you optimise for score.

Anti-Tachyon
Oct 25, 2010

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Is Astraea any good when you get deeper? I love the graphics in the demo, but I got slice and dice vibes- fun for a few hours as a phone game, but not something I'd pay 25 bucks for.

A little late but I don't think Astrea is really anything like slice n dice. Astrea is basically a deckbuilder masquerading as a dice game, like slay the spire but you roll the cards instead of playing them. Admittedly I only played the demo of slice because I also wasn't too interested in it, so maybe it changes things up.

I ended up playing about 24+ hours of Astrea before beating the super secret final boss and deciding I was done, although I can imagine it would be easy to get addicted if you're that sort of person.

Personally, I liked Astrea a lot more than Cobalt Core despite how much this thread seemed to like the latter, in case that's of any use to you.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Has anyone played the FTL Multiverse mod? It's pretty fun so far, and reminds me why FTL was such a big hit. Also reminds me just how rng dependent you are on getting the right drops, although there's some ways to mitigate that now.
It's a shame nobody seems to have done a FTL "sequel" properly. Crying Suns was close but just lacked the spark.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Is Astraea any good when you get deeper? I love the graphics in the demo, but I got slice and dice vibes- fun for a few hours as a phone game, but not something I'd pay 25 bucks for.

I played Astrea for about 20 hours, enough to beat it at least once with each character and see the final boss. My final verdict is: it's ok. The amount of fiddly actions you need to take each turn started to wear on me a bit, and dice and I just fundamentally don't really get along that well. Dicey Dungeons also liked like it should be great for me but didn't really grab me.

In contrast, Slice and Dice is frickin' awesome if you ask me, and with its amazing undo buffer and huge character and enemy variety makes each run a series of delightful puzzles, similar to Into the Breach but more generous.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Yeah I mean if anyone reading this thread hasn't checked out slice & dice yet you need to fix that immediately. plays as well on phones as on PC, costs basically nothing, and what starts as deceptively straightforward gets incredibly deep ver quickly. also not a gram of fat on that game, as lean as you can get.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Schurik posted:

plays as well on phones as on PC

i was like hey is slice & dice on steam?

slice & dice at home on steam https://store.steampowered.com/app/682340/SliceDice/

e: this came out in 2017 and has 1 user review lol

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1990110/SpellRogue/

Spellrogue is out. It's a roguelike because it has rogue in the name.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
why is it called spellrogue if its not a word game. . ?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

victrix posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1990110/SpellRogue/

Spellrogue is out. It's a roguelike because it has rogue in the name.

I've been looking forward to this one ever since the demo

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
spell rouge? that doesn't seem very hard

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Chaotic Flame posted:

I've been looking forward to this one ever since the demo

so far I like this more than Astrea/Slice/Cobalt/Lonestar etc, I think in general I don't like it when these deckbuilder style roguelikes boil the combat down to this really mathy kind of puzzle game, this feels like there's more building and card/etc effects going on which lets you do some fun stuff without like, dice facechange stalling in Astrea (eww)

need to play a bit more though, still not my preferred style for this kinda game I think, and I always expect these games to end up more monster train degeneracy and less StS balanced

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

spell rouge? that doesn't seem very hard

swing and a miss, cheif!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Everyone complains about roguelikes that aren't actually roguelikes but I hope people start coming out with roguelike deck builders that aren't even deck builders either

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

mystes posted:

Everyone complains about roguelikes that aren't actually roguelikes but I hope people start coming out with roguelike deck builders that aren't even deck builders either
That's definitely happened recently but I'm too lazy to go back and find the discussion. The "cards" were just powerups or something.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

In my game, enemies move around after each turn, which changes the set of available options you have due to the limits on your weapons and spells. If there's no enemies adjacent to you, for example, then you can't use the "sword" card, and if they're too far away, you can't use the "fireball" card either. Defeated enemies sometimes drop new cards, which you can pick up, either to use (my game has an innovative "no hand limit" approach, where all of your cards are always available either in your equipment or inventory), or to sell in shops.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

spell rouge

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

it's not that fckin hard to spell the word rouge!!!!!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Deakul posted:

it's not that fckin hard to spell the word rouge!!!!!

Don't try to be the thread grammer enfrocer please

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I think it was bad design on the dev's part to have "rouge" and "rogue" be spelled so similarly despite referring to such different concepts. Hopefully the next patch will adjust that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

mystes posted:

Luck be a Landlord

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

noita is a deckbuilder

:v:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

Luck be a Landlord
I want to forgive it for describing itself that way just because there's probably no specific term for that mechanic?

I need to play noita. I guess I bought it at some point but I still haven't got around to it

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

No Wave posted:

That's definitely happened recently but I'm too lazy to go back and find the discussion. The "cards" were just powerups or something.

Dumb people call Ring of Pain a deckbuilder. Literally the only thing related to cards in the game is that the items and enemies are presented as cards. There's no deck, no hand, no drawing, no card play of any sort. It's just a normal game with a card aesthetic. If "finding and equipping things" is deckbuilding then Baldur's Gate is a deckbuilder. It also doesn't have metaprogression that makes you stronger so I guess it's not a roguelike either :smugmrgw:

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
fwiw I don't like Noita that much. It sounded great and I'd followed it for years, but it's just so twitchy and the controls are awful. :(

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i had genuinely wanted to like noita more, but it definitely seemed to end up as more of a 'weird puzzle experience' than i was expecting when going into it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Noita is comparable to Spleunky where the difficulty curve is less "curve" and more "brick wall" until you learn all the game's idiosyncracies.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jack Trades posted:

That's interesting.

What would be the best examples of modular design in modern deckbuilders?

Honestly, Slay the Spire is up there. There are definitely some examples of linear builds in the game (the shiv deck, the block stacking deck, etc) but they exist more as an on-ramp for noobs to get used to deckbuilding at low ascension levels.

At higher levels these decks aren't bad or "a trap" or whatever, but early encounters get a lot more dangerous and you're forced to be less selective with your card picks in order to survive, which eases you into a more complicated and modular style of deckbuilding where you have to consider more factors.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Speaking of deck builders and characters that move around between turns, is anybody still playing Alina of the Arena

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

This stuff is blowing my mind. Maybe I can break through ascension 11 with this concept

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

beer gas canister posted:

This stuff is blowing my mind. Maybe I can break through ascension 11 with this concept

Mark Rosewater columns on Magic design are really cool. Even if you don't play Magic there's a good chance the creators of many games you love did at some point, and a lot probably trickled down

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The thing with Noita is that the basic monster behaviors are mostly predictable, but for the first 20 or 50 or 100 hours you play it you don't know what you need to predict, and not knowing makes the enemies seem incredibly dangerous. So you play real careful and try to only ever peek at them from cover. You let them push you around and some arced shots chip away at your health while you constantly retreat. After a (long) while playing, though, it's not all that hard to wander right past of a lot of enemies and just dodge all their shots, all without firing a wand. At some point the things that kill you mostly come down to either hubris or dumb poo poo happening, and that stuff is hilarious.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

resistentialism posted:

The thing with Noita is that the basic monster behaviors are mostly predictable, but for the first 20 or 50 or 100 hours you play it you don't know what you need to predict, and not knowing makes the enemies seem incredibly dangerous. So you play real careful and try to only ever peek at them from cover. You let them push you around and some arced shots chip away at your health while you constantly retreat. After a (long) while playing, though, it's not all that hard to wander right past of a lot of enemies and just dodge all their shots, all without firing a wand. At some point the things that kill you mostly come down to either hubris or dumb poo poo happening, and that stuff is hilarious.

Look, we live in a world where people willingly play League of Legends so I'm fine with the idea that people will find joy in something I find totally unfun, but nothing about what you said makes me want to give Noita another shot.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Alright, try this then

HolHorsejob posted:

I was carrying a flask of toxic sludge and puked into it, and somehow fungal shifted something into vomit that was dissolved the ground and turned into more vomit, filling the world up with vomit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mystes posted:

I want to forgive it for describing itself that way just because there's probably no specific term for that mechanic?

It explicitly describes itself as a slot machine builder. If you want another game in the genre, try Endgame of Devil. It's a Chinese game where you're a dungeon lord trying to defend your lair from adventurers by recruiting minions that then get dropped into a slot machine along with the heroes. The title is poorly translated, but all the cards are fine.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Another question for Warriors of the Nile 2: what's the point of increasing Max EN? Wouldn't that make activating miracles harder? So far I've won three times at the base difficulty, against all three bosses, and unlocked Chapter 4 which I've been told can be pretty hardcore. Any suggested builds to beat it?

Edit: Also, what's the difference between DMG Range and ATK Range? I assume ATK range is how far you can target stuff and DMG range is the size of the AoE?

Azran fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Feb 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

beer gas canister posted:

It's important to note that the set, Mirrodin, he's talking about in 2003 almost killed Magic it was so unfun to play

https://www.cbr.com/magic-the-gathering-mirrodin-infamously-overpowered-block/