Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Kit Walker posted:

Ah yes it’s just like I’m right back at the lefty commune and someone’s mad at me because I asked them to stop leaving their dishes in the sink and actually wash them

If you're ever in a communal living situation and no one else is doing dishes you wash what you need and then do just like all the spoons? Passive aggressive dishwashing. It was surprisingly effective at getting people to do them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Is that so if someone claims not to have the spoons for doing dishes, you can be like "au contraire"

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Is that so if someone claims not to have the spoons for doing dishes, you can be like "au contraire"

This was before I knew about Spoon Theory so no, but that would have been super funny. I'd just randomly choose. People who drink coffee get real mad when they have a million spoons but no cup or a million cups but no spoon.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Desert Bus posted:

This was before I knew about Spoon Theory so no, but that would have been super funny. I'd just randomly choose. People who drink coffee get real mad when they have a million spoons but no cup or a million cups but no spoon.

It's like raaaaaaaaaain on your wedding daaaaaaay

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Desert Bus posted:

Tina is coded ASD, Gene is coded black, Louise is coded "asian". Teddy is clearly discriminated against for being fat, Mort for being bald. Okay time to stop watching.

Jimmy Pesto was arrested Ted for storming the capitol.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Jimmy Pesto storming the capitol isn't really surprising though.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Desert Bus posted:

For a long time I thought this was a thing my (now ex) girlfriend made up. She kept telling me I was lacking in spoons and I was like, JFC get a better metaphor, I don't even ever use spoons. I'm a fork guy. I fork and I slurp. In food and in life. Spoons never come into the equation.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Perfectly functional people WHO SHOULD BE WASHING THE loving DISHES TOO will get Spoon Theory when it's 6am and they don't have the spoons to dig through the sink for a clean spoon.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I haven't washed the dishes in six months, I just go to the dollar store and get more paper plates.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Which is fine for a certain combination of diet and paper plates, but the second you want to eat authentic Italian you're going to wish you had some real plates.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Byzantine posted:

I haven't washed the dishes in six months, I just go to the dollar store and get more paper plates.

i just eat a meal off a page in the phone book, then rip out that page

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
if your plates are bread you never have to clean plates.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjlfd-ThQcE

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

PhazonLink posted:

wisdom of the ancients itt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQT-aY9sTCI

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Torquemada posted:

heth eth eth eth eth eth. Chris Waddle.

Stop showing off, Roy.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

credburn posted:

For a long time I thought this was a thing my (now ex) girlfriend made up. She kept telling me I was lacking in spoons and I was like, JFC get a better metaphor, I don't even ever use spoons. I'm a fork guy. I fork and I slurp. In food and in life. Spoons never come into the equation.

Horse Spoon Theory

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Desert Bus posted:

This is an expression I've heard my wife use, I didn't realise it had not only attained the status of a theory, but apparently has some weird gatekeeping around its use.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Torquemada posted:

This is an expression I've heard my wife use, I didn't realise it had not only attained the status of a theory, but apparently has some weird gatekeeping around its use.

I don't think there is any weird gatekeeping around its use. I don't have enough spoons to gatekeep Spoon Theory though. Even normal people can use it.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Torquemada posted:

I had to look up what it even means, and now I'm very glad to belong to a generation that grew up with The Sims.

"My social bar is empty" makes so much more sense than "well, if energy was a bunch of spoons..."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My comfort bar is almost always red :(

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
ADHD is like hard mode where your bars don't have any indicators as to what they are.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

A Worrying Warlock posted:

I had to look up what it even means, and now I'm very glad to belong to a generation that grew up with The Sims.

"My social bar is empty" makes so much more sense than "well, if energy was a bunch of spoons..."

I've heard of spoon theory, and I've also heard the nerdier interpretation of "spell slot theory."

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

ADHD is like hard mode where your bars don't have any indicators as to what they are.

This is deep wisdom

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

the_steve posted:

I've heard of spoon theory, and I've also heard the nerdier interpretation of "spell slot theory."
take a long rest to replenish your social skills?

yeah ok this makes sense

I have Vancian Introversion

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

A Worrying Warlock posted:

Or instead of the whole "imagine if energy was spoons, you might not have enough spoons to do the thing you want to do" you can just say "energy"? It's taking a very simple, easily-understood concept and complicating it with a weird metaphor for absolutely no reason.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tiggum posted:

Or instead of the whole "imagine if energy was spoons, you might not have enough spoons to do the thing you want to do" you can just say "energy"? It's taking a very simple, easily-understood concept and complicating it with a weird metaphor for absolutely no reason.

That always confused me too

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The idea is that the spoons aren’t all the same size. So maybe you don’t have the energy to do the one really big thing that’s been weighing on you, but you have the energy to do lots of little things, even if the totality of the energy you’d need for all the little things is actually bigger than you’d need for the one big thing

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I definitely prefer spoons to, say, buckets. But I can think of a lot better things than spoons. First of all, spoon is a weird sounding word. Spooon. Spooooon. Spoooooooooon.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

credburn posted:

I definitely prefer spoons to, say, buckets. But I can think of a lot better things than spoons. First of all, spoon is a weird sounding word. Spooon. Spooooon. Spoooooooooon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iGSAFjzBd8

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

credburn posted:

e:fb

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0_zzCLLRvE

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Is it spoons as a metaphorical measurement unit? That makes sense. If it's like, metaphorical spoons then I'm confused.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Are they metric or imperial spoons?

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
Honestly I just took it as a slang term for "energy/will" and that's worked plenty well so far.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I also thought of Spoonman, but specifically Tom Scharpling making fun of Spoonman

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

credburn posted:

Oh hey, it’s media that didn’t age well.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Improbable Lobster posted:

Part of the appeal I think is that it takes a nebulous concept (energy) and turns it into something visual that someone can conceptualize more easily. For whatever reason, people glommed onto it because it was a way that could help explain something that they were already feeling into something a little less abstract, without having to go through the struggle of coming up with their own metaphor. Not everybody's grandma or coworker is with it enough to have spent their free time building swimming pools and then deleting the ladder, but most people have memories of being asked what happens when little Annie starts giving away her apples.

Of course, it started as an impromptu explainer by a very worn down person for a well meaning person who just wasn't getting it, and like a lot of feel good stuff, the internet basically turned it into a meme

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I AM GRANDO posted:

Oh hey, it’s media that didn’t age well.

This is such a beautiful encapsulation of Internet humor specifically in 2004, though. Oh my God, I've never seen this comic but it feels so nostalgic

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

I think anyone who has ever had to take care of themselves while sick can probably relate without needing a complicated metaphor, but I suppose if you're someone who's never had to be in that position maybe you need some help? idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkA-L3mK7q8