Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.

Ibblebibble posted:

Also if stuff keeps missing, make sure the fire control system (FCS) you have equipped is suitable for the range of the weapons you have equipped.

I can't be the only one who just uses that one FCS with average close-range assist, maxed mid-range assist, and average long-range assist on every single build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

GreatMrPopo posted:

Anyways then I spent an hour just painting my AC, it looks like confetti cake now, couldn't be happier. I like the rewards tied to training missions, and the testing room makes it very easy to test new loadouts on the fly.

I'm gonna have fun doing some mecha cosplay with this game.

ngl i probably spent more time painting my mech than playing the game at this point

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Just use laser pistols and mash L1 and R1 without thinking about it. They can’t dodge every one of your shots.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Just use laser pistols and mash L1 and R1 without thinking about it. They can’t dodge every one of your shots.

One of my favorite builds was a light AC with dual handguns (the best you've unlocked) with high damage shoulder weapons like dual songbirds. Just zip around enemies and go pew pew until they stagger then hit them with everything you've got on your shoulders. Works great.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
On my first playthrough, and I've been rocking dual plasma missiles shoulder launchers, the Vvc-760PR plasma rifle, and either the pile bunker or Vvc-770LB laser blade. And it's been kickin' rad. I was afraid hyper focusing on energy was going to bite me at some point, but I'm pretty sure I'm at the end game and I haven't run into any roadblocks that seem to be caused by damage type and not just tactics.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Honestly damage types are almost an extraneous mechanic. There's exactly one enemy type that really cares about it, and you're only forced to fight them in a single mission.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

wash bucket posted:

One of my favorite builds was a light AC with dual handguns (the best you've unlocked) with high damage shoulder weapons like dual songbirds. Just zip around enemies and go pew pew until they stagger then hit them with everything you've got on your shoulders. Works great.

Earshot is much better than songbirds for this purpose

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Sindai posted:

Honestly damage types are almost an extraneous mechanic. There's exactly one enemy type that really cares about it, and you're only forced to fight them in a single mission.

There are a few places where it matters, imo. Allmind/Iguana in the final fight has obscene explosives resistance so trying to punish with earshots and the like is almost totally ineffective. I ended up using songbirds/earshots to build the strain and punishing with gats during the overload period, and would likely have been a lot better off with missiles or something else on the shoulder that were more reliable sources of ACS strain. Maybe this is the one enemy type you're talking about though.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Olothreutes posted:

Maybe this is the one enemy type you're talking about though.

Think they were talking about grinder wheels that have like 0 explosive defense.

I had a guy in PvP change his frame to smooth parts (EN defense) of the same weight class because my build was all energy weapons. I didn't bother to stick around..

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Node posted:

I finished chapter 1 and while the game is a pretty big struggle for me, it is fun. However, there was something I just didn't get. The fight with Sulla took me a lot of attempts. I figured that is because I'm not good, but also because I had chosen bad AC assemblies. My first few tries were a tetrapod with lasers and pulse missiles. The missiles track well but do little damage, and the laser rifles never hit him. So I went to a reverse joint setup with the assault rifle, pulse blade, and whatever missiles I could fit. That didn't work either, Sulla dodges things like crazy, and usually getting into range to use the blade was detrimental because his melee range poo poo is a lot more dangerous than mine. My third assembly attempt was a bipedal AC with dual assault rifles and bigger missiles - this finally worked, as long as I stayed pretty far away.

Were the tetropod and reverse joint ACs I tried initially bad in that fight, for some reason? I'm not entirely sure why the bipedal AC was the one that did it while the other two couldn't.

I was using biped/gun/plasma sword/missiles and was stuck in Sulla for an hour (tried swapping basically everything) with no progress before I stopped playing for an hour and came back and took him to pieces in a single try with no clear difference. (I think I was just dodging better). The actual boss only took 3 tries. I think he's just potentially really hard depending on how you play.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just finished my first playthrough. Sided with my disembodied energy wife. A few immediate thoughts:
-Rusty! Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!
-gently caress Snail. I had to go into that fight with a completely different build from what I'd been using all game because I just couldn't DPS his shield down fast enough.

-That was also the fight I realized that charged pile bunker is holy gently caress OP. I had never really charged it before then. :stare:
-How the hell did Walter get access to a tricked out coral-infused AC?!

-That was also the fight I realized you don't need to touch your right stick at all when you lock on. I thought you had to at least keep the target on screen to maintain your lock-on. I've just been loving myself by touching my right stick. >_>

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

AlternateNu posted:

-How the hell did Walter get access to a tricked out coral-infused AC?!
-That was also the fight I realized you don't need to touch your right stick at all when you lock on. I thought you had to at least keep the target on screen to maintain your lock-on. I've just been loving myself by touching my right stick. >_>

Walter is the coral AC.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Walter is the coral AC.

:stare:

How are you supposed to figure THAT out? What did I miss?

Edit: Wait. So Walter was a Rubiconian who wanted to....destroy his own people? :psyduck:

Edit 2: Or....he joined the coral tide after getting offed by the corps, and that's his zombie form?

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 13, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

I've just been loving myself by touching my right stick. >_>

Armored Core VI: I've just been loving myself by touching my right stick

GodFish posted:

I was using biped/gun/plasma sword/missiles and was stuck in Sulla for an hour (tried swapping basically everything) with no progress before I stopped playing for an hour and came back and took him to pieces in a single try with no clear difference.

Classic gaming strat when you're stuck on a boss. Just sleep on it then try again later. Works like a charm.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

AlternateNu posted:

Edit: Wait. So Walter was a Rubiconian who wanted to....destroy his own people? :psyduck:

Edit 2: Or....he joined the coral tide after getting offed by the corps, and that's his zombie form?
That was a pretty confusing way to phrase it. I think the generally-accepted theory is that Walter was captured after the Ibis fight and Snail had him brainwashed and stuffed in an old prototype coral AC.

EDIT: I forgot about the augmentations. He also would have been forcibly coral augmented, which is by all accounts a highly invasive and traumatic procedure in its own right.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 13, 2024

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

AlternateNu posted:

No. Walter was captured by Arquebus, "re-educated", given coral augmentation surgery, and sortied with the HAL to assist against the all-out attack by the RLF.

The HAL itself is a RRI frame recovered from Institute City (or that Walter possibly had previous knowledge of which Arquebus extracted after his capture).

He's struggling against the mind control during the fight, and due to the coral augmentation now able to perceive Ayre's contact with Raven, which is what gets through to him the choice the protagonist has made and so in the end he manages to break free and forcibly shuts down his AC.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

moonlight feels like it really completes keepaway missile builds, since anyone who ABs at you is basically guaranteed to eat a charged slash unless you're asleep at the wheel

i just ran a five streak and promoted. i'm playing like a coward and a bitch and i hate that it's working!!!!!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Conspiratiorist posted:

No. Walter was captured by Arquebus, "re-educated", given coral augmentation surgery, and sortied with the HAL to assist against the all-out attack by the RLF.

The HAL itself is a RRI frame recovered from Institute City (or that Walter possibly had previous knowledge of which Arquebus extracted after his capture).

He's struggling against the mind control during the fight, and due to the coral augmentation now able to perceive Ayre's contact with Raven, which is what gets through to him the choice the protagonist has made and so in the end he manages to break free and forcibly shuts down his AC.

Ok. That makes more sense.

I did get a little teary eyed with his little "Looks like you finally made a friend." line. :shobon:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

There isn't an Arquebus brainwashing program for pilots.

There's a datapad in the level where you kill Swinburn that talks about the Factory, which is where Arquebus sends pilots that it captures or, in the case of Swinburb, just gently caress up enough.

There's another datapad right at the beginning of the escape level where you find out that the Factory is an organ harvesting facility that makes components for Arquebus's unmanned ACs, which they're evaluating against AI controlled ACs, and the components used are human brains surgucally removed from their bodies. Since we never see Swinburn again that bit of information would be completely superfluous, but that datapad is one of the first things you can come across after the cutscene where the player is told that Arquebus captured Walter.

It's very unlikely that he received coral augmentation surgery.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

turn off the TV posted:

There's a datapad in the level where you kill Swinburn that talks about the Factory, which is where Arquebus sends pilots that it captures or, in the case of Swinburb, just gently caress up enough.

There's another datapad right at the beginning of the escape level where you find out that the Factory is an organ harvesting facility that makes components for Arquebus's unmanned ACs, which they're evaluating against AI controlled ACs, and the components used are human brains surgucally removed from their bodies. Since we never see Swinburn again that bit of information would be completely superfluous, but that datapad is one of the first things you can come across after the cutscene where the player is told that Arquebus captured Walter.

It's very unlikely that he received coral augmentation surgery.

It's all brainwashing.

The only difference is that at the Factory they also do more invasive mind-machine interface surgery since subjects are destined for combat work, and what the Data Log says is they're experimenting with how much of "the person" is actually needed to still maintain effective control mechanisms vs simply using AI (which is considered a subpar performer).

Walter is hooked up on coral else he wouldn't be able to perceive Ayre. It's unlikely he was simply being dosed, so that means implants in order to handle the HAL.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

just bought this game and I'm laughing that the first boss can attack you from out of bounds, because it's still From and gently caress you

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Just completed all missions. What a game! I will be back to S Rank them soon.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Conspiratiorist posted:

It's all brainwashing.

The only difference is that at the Factory they also do more invasive mind-machine interface surgery since subjects are destined for combat work, and what the Data Log says is they're experimenting with how much of "the person" is actually needed to still maintain effective control mechanisms vs simply using AI (which is considered a subpar performer).

Walter is hooked up on coral else he wouldn't be able to perceive Ayre. It's unlikely he was simply being dosed, so that means implants in order to handle the HAL.

it's not mind machine implants, that's what augmented humans are.

the actual reason as to why they have to be brains in jars is because of the game's insane anime logic justification for having human pilots in the first place. ayre's psychotic ramblings during her arena fight basically lays it out. humans are apparently better AC pilots because they have AC shaped bodies and this somehow gives them robot driving super powers. it's why allmind is developing the MIND series AC parts and probably also why people in wheelchairs prefer the wheelchair legs.

the content of the unnamed testing data log states that the unmanned ACs made from human parts are worse than AIs and that the AIs are worse than humans. since the game's logic is that humans are better pilots than AIs because of their physical bodies then the reason why the unmanned ACs are worse has to be because they don't have them.

walter can probably knows that ayre is thete because the robot is coral powered and/or because she's a sapient wifi signal.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

You completely lost the plot.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

"Humans are better at piloting mechs the more human-shaped the mechs are" is genuinely a plot point I have seen in some mecha-adjacent media, as an explanation for why you would make mechs and not just really good tanks or helicopters.

burgersmith
Jun 27, 2023
That's right boys, Mondo cool.

It was always a little baffling to me why they gave the mechs hands and fingers, but I guess it makes sense. I guess.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

burgersmith posted:

It was always a little baffling to me why they gave the mechs hands and fingers, but I guess it makes sense. I guess.

Hands and fingers mean you can switch equipment in the field without having to go in for a full refit. Also that you can throw hands.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You're just a lil person sized grub wrapped in cling film if you watch the into video, your fella isn't really human anymore due to the augmentation, just vaguely human shaped and being blasted with constant radiation and radiation therapy.

Walter tells you straight up that part of the goal of making so much money is to undo your augmentation, implying your character desires to decouple from the AC pilot lifestyle. That therefore implies it's possible to get out of the grubperson state you're in, somehow. If ACs weren't human, it'd be even harder to sell that concept to both the player and the character Raven.

Edit: tetrapod operators likely do not have 4 legs for example, they've just been altered to think that they do, which lets them move as if they do. You can use everything given to you, so imagine what a messed up little dude you are in there

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 13, 2024

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CJacobs posted:

You're just a lil person sized grub wrapped in cling film if you watch the into video, your fella isn't really human anymore due to the augmentation, just vaguely human shaped and being blasted with constant radiation and radiation therapy.

Walter tells you straight up that part of the goal of making so much money is to undo your augmentation, implying your character desires to decouple from the AC pilot lifestyle. That therefore implies it's possible to get out of the grubperson state you're in, somehow. If ACs weren't human, it'd be even harder to sell that concept.

Nah. 621 was shrink-wrapped initially, but we know gen IVs look human under that. There's a picture of one of your fellow gen IVs hidden in the game, and he looks pretty ordinary. More Mikazuki than Ein.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Alternatively, Walter is not being patronizing and AC pilots really are actually hounds. There's nothing in the rules that says a dog can't pilot an AC.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Conspiratiorist posted:

You completely lost the plot.

there's a plot element brought up multiple times about AIs being strictly worse at piloting ACs than humans. the ACs piloted by brains in jars are worse than or at best on par with AIs and snail can't figure out why. he even says "the advent of ACs brought the age of unmanned weapons to an end, but why?" the arena B plot culminates in Ayre giving a speech about how, after having finally controlled a humanoid body via coral, she realized that the human form has evolved to kill humans, and she straight up says "maybe that will give us an idea about ALLMIND's goals." and, for the last 40 or 50 arena fights, you have been helping ALLMIND develop a series of AC parts that are designed to recreate the sensation of ACs being a physical, human body, while also measuring their performance exclusively via their performance with AI pilots. like i don't know what else you really need, the game isn't exactly beating around the bush here.

CJacobs posted:

Walter tells you straight up that part of the goal of making so much money is to undo your augmentation, implying your character desires to decouple from the AC pilot lifestyle. That therefore implies it's possible to get out of the grubperson state you're in, somehow. If ACs weren't human, it'd be even harder to sell that concept to both the player and the character Raven.

Edit: tetrapod operators likely do not have 4 legs for example, they've just been altered to think that they do, which lets them move as if they do. You can use everything given to you, so imagine what a messed up little dude you are in there

621 walks around and stuff during at least one cutscene and Iguazu, who has the same surgery as 621, is physically completely fine and normal looking in the picture of him you find. 621 had C-Pulse Sensory Augmentation surgery, which installed something called a Cerebral Coral Control Device. Presumably this allows the user to mentally connect with machinery via C-Pulse waves, which is why they're better robot pilots. afaik there's no mention anywhere in the game of it being anything more than that.

It causes really lovely side effects like a weird pseudo waking sleep state, ringing in ears, loss of taste, etc. and if O'keefe's arena description is anything to go by it may literally burn your brain over time. This is why Walter says that 621 has a fried brain and presumably why he assumes that 621 should get the newer gen of augments, which don't have those side effects.

the normal non augmented humans are almost certainly just driving robots around like they do in the non G-Gundams, and the augmented humans might actually interact with their ACs in the same way as well.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 13, 2024

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Your misunderstandings of the plot aside, you don't even know what you're arguing over.

What the hell did you think I meant by more invasive mind-machine interfacing? Do you get why augmentation surgery is a thing in the setting?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Calm down, bub.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Conspiratiorist posted:

Your misunderstandings of the plot aside, you don't even know what you're arguing over.

What the hell did you think I meant by more invasive mind-machine interfacing? Do you get why augmentation surgery is a thing in the setting?

Why are you so antagonistic to someone spending time to extrapolate on the plot?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

For Walter, Given the secret ending in NG++ there's a good chance he had the HAL the entire time,

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

turn off the TV posted:

I think there is? The relevant datalog:

• To facilitate smooth progress of the Coral response
survey, a temporary branch of AREC is to be installed on Rubicon.
• Primary subjects are to be Rubiconist POWs.
Re-education of hostile corporate assets
permissible as the situation dictates.
• Subjects who are resistant to re-education and
who possess a certain degree of combat skill are
to be processed according to the relevant
procedures and transferred to the Factory.

Not that I am disagreeing with your take here. I think both takes can be right TBH

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

CJacobs posted:

That's only 621's state while being pulled out of cold storage, as we see later in the game they can be outside their AC just fine and it's also not something Gen 4's have in general as Iguazu is also one and is just fine outside his AC.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Cirina posted:

That's only 621's state while being pulled out of cold storage, as we see later in the game they can be outside their AC just fine and it's also not something Gen 4's have in general as Iguazu is also one and is just fine outside his AC.

This. People are taking the promo video quite literally but I can understand it being misleading.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Rascyc posted:

I think there is? The relevant datalog:

• To facilitate smooth progress of the Coral response
survey, a temporary branch of AREC is to be installed on Rubicon.
• Primary subjects are to be Rubiconist POWs.
Re-education of hostile corporate assets
permissible as the situation dictates.
• Subjects who are resistant to re-education and
who possess a certain degree of combat skill are
to be processed according to the relevant
procedures and transferred to the Factory.

Not that I am disagreeing with your take here. I think both takes can be right TBH

"processed according to the relevant procedures and transferred to the Factory" means turned into unpiloted AC parts

Testing New Components

Video record extracted from a wreck.
One can see performance tests of an unpiloted AI.
An officer's voice can be heard in the background.
----------------
I see no significant difference in performance compared
to what an AC can achieve... How very disappointing.
This experiment was another failure, then.

Regardless, I will have answers. The arrival of ACs
brought the age of unpiloted craft to an end...
but what essential difference makes them superior?

Send a message to the Factory.
Have them leave the torso intact next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yep like I said, I think both takes can be right and it's left to the reader to decide interpretation and maybe even timeline. Clearly both locations exist in some capacity but the one you mention is sequentially after and given the mission you find it in well...

basically I think Rusty was re-educated and Walter was probably factory'd