Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol the hulk hogan movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

the Hollywood Hogan gimmick was hilarious because it was supposed to be him as this big Hollywood hotshot movie star but he was only ever in absolute dogshit, I think they literally did a promo from the set of 3 Ninjas: High Noon at Mega Mountain

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Look I am not saying they were good ,but the Hogan movies from the 80s were watched and enjoyed by me and my cousins. I still remember lines from those like Mr. Mom etc..

Like if you were a kid in the 80s and you were into Hulkamania then you loving loved those films.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Suburban Commando was a shoot brother

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

AlmightyBob posted:

the Hollywood Hogan gimmick was hilarious because it was supposed to be him as this big Hollywood hotshot movie star but he was only ever in absolute dogshit, I think they literally did a promo from the set of 3 Ninjas: High Noon at Mega Mountain

vince was so convinced that no holds barred would be a hit he brought in the actor who played zeus to wrestle hogan including a ppv event lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the hulkster is no rock or john cena or batista, brother

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the hulkster is no rock or john cena or batista, brother

Part of what made The Rock's budding movie career so exciting was that we already saw how wrestlers breaking into Hollywood looked like, i.e. direct to video trash or a cameo in Gremlins 2.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

lol Gremlins 2 was the best movie Hogan was ever in

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

David D. Davidson posted:

That honestly isn't as crazy as people think, I mean, Hollywood is always looking for talent that can convincingly perform some highly exaggerated fake fights, and professional wrestling is just fake fights as performance art.

Hell, in Mexico, plenty of masked luchador have gone on to do their own movies.

Plus, well, you know, Dwane "The friggin' Rock" Johnson is an honest to God megastar.

There's like a handful of wrestlers that have gone on to actual movie stardom (or at least cult movie stardom), though. The Rock, Batista, John Cena, Roddy Piper, and maybe one or two others that I've forgotten. Hogan's movies were all vanity projects that sank like particularly heavy boat anchors, and pretty much every other wrestler that's tried to make the move into films has met with little if any success. It's not enough to be able to fake fight; as with a lot of TV stars that also tried to become movie stars in the 1980s and 1990s, it turns out that the level of charisma needed to become a big star on the small screen doesn't necessarily translate into becoming a big star on the big screen.

AlmightyBob posted:

also it was the 80s, part of why diamond dave left Van Halen is because he wanted the band to go on hiatus for 2 years so he could become a movie star, everyone was doing it lol

Well yeah, the 1980s was the era of singers popping up on an episode or two of Miami Vice or some other TV show before being given a movie (that in turn gave them a harsh reminder of why they should stick to singing).

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the 90's was the age of wrestlers showing up in random tv shows

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Does Andre the Giant count?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

MrQwerty posted:

lol Gremlins 2 was the best movie Hogan was ever in

It's the best movie period, but it speaks volumes about Hogan's Hollywood career that he showed up in it as... Hulk Hogan. Same thing as with Rocky III, Hogan just never transcended wrestling.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Does Andre the Giant count?

I'd say so, mainly because he was one of those few wrestlers that was actually pretty well known even outside of wrestling. Plus Samuel Beckett used to occasionally give him (and other kids in the village) rides to school, so there's that too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Late 90s and mostly because WWF had that sweet UPN SMACKDOWN deal.

David D. Davidson posted:

That honestly isn't as crazy as people think, I mean, Hollywood is always looking for talent that can convincingly perform some highly exaggerated fake fights, and professional wrestling is just fake fights as performance art.
Yeah but then you get the meatboys behind the camera and realize they're either too coked out of their minds to hit their marks and remember lines or too wooden and bad to do anything but scowl and get thrown through a window. Or they're a stunt casting like Edge and Christian in HIGHLANDER ENDGAME

(Looking at Taylor Mane and whatever hasbeen played Jarko in Blade 3)

Grendels Dad posted:

Same thing as with Rocky III, Hogan just never transcended wrestling.
It's because he couldn't gently caress with the signature look. And outside of 1980s Wrestling a grandpa-rear end looking dude with a skullet and weirdly bleached FuManchu moustache just didn't work.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 13, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lol hulk and macho on baywatch

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Hulk Hogan played "Thunderlips" and that will never stop being funny to me

definitely wanted his super boat from Thunder in Paradise though

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

rally posted:

Suburban Commando was a shoot brother

I choose to believe that "Yow a dead man, Wamsey" is just a voice Undertaker can do

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lol I forgot that Flair was in that episode of baywatch too
Macho begins his match with Flair by throwing Slim Jims to the crowd and then it turns into a protracted fake boxing match

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 13, 2024

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I loving loved Thunder in Paradise

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Gavok posted:

I see Triple H as Stringer with Nick Khan as his Clay Davis.

Surely Ted Turner is a better comparison. Both Stringer and Ted wanted to get into a business other than what they were in, subsequently got taken for a ride by players in their aspired business who saw them as a mark (in this case the scam/con usage, but also probably the wrestling one from Hulk, Nash & co), and both eventually found themselves on the outs in their former organisations as a result of their choices in attempting to enter their desired business.

The only real difference is that Ted Turner had Eric Bischoff to make bad decisions for him.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Toaster Beef posted:

I loving loved Thunder in Paradise

Coolest boat I've ever seen

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Nathan Jones and Robert Maillet aka Kurrgan from Oddities are both guys whose film careers eclipsed anything they ever did in the ring. Sure it's all "big man #2" or "big monster man" but :perfect: is still more iconic than most of the drivel The Rock keeps pushing out.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Don't forget Jesse Ventura. Predator, Running Man, Abraxas....

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

And Hulk Hogan was offered to star in "The Wrestler" but he turned it down because he didn't want to make the business look bad, brother!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

My friend got me Suburban Commando on DVD as a gag Christmas gift one year. Then we eventually watched it and realized that the movie genuinely slaps.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Let us not forget The Big Show's work as Captain Insano

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Flinger posted:

Robert Maillet

He’s in the first Pacific Rim piloting one of the giant robots in a silent role but made such an impression he got as much fanart as the rest of the cast (the exception being the two scientists who the fandom rightfully adored).

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
They call you Hollywood
Don’t make me laugh
Cause your movies and your acting skills are both trash
Your movies straight to video
The box office can’t stand
While I got myself a feature role in Spiderman
- Macho Man

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Macho Man in the first Tobey Maguire Spider-Man ruled.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

BE A MAN HULK

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Michael PS Hayes in Highlander

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos
Kevin Nash in TMNT2 also shredded

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Extra Large Marge posted:

Within a year of Waterboy's release, Sandler released an album with a song about how much it sucks to be really tall. I always wondered if he was inspired by Big Show himself.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Gavok posted:

Within a year of Waterboy's release, Sandler released an album with a song about how much it sucks to be really tall. I always wondered if he was inspired by Big Show himself.

big show isnt that big

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

big show isnt that big

I have it on good authority that he is so big, it's impossible to slam/F5/AA/etc. him!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

There’s an episode of the New Love Boat where Kevin Nash and Goldberg beat the poo poo out of each other with pool chairs.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

big show isnt that big

He's Andre the Giant's long-lost son, he's gotta be huge

he's taller than Andre's actual daughter

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The best movies Hogan made were the lovely direct to TV action movies that had Shannon Tweed and Carl Weathers in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Extra Large Marge posted:

wasnt stone cold in the longest yard and they made some stone cold has a huge dick joke?

looked it up it was goldberg with the huge dick joke stonecold was a guard as was kevin nash. im sure theres more wrestlers i dont know in this. bob sapp sounds familiar

snergle fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 13, 2024