Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I think Peach has spoken about being offered a place with Duncan, but it came after he agreed to The Painting Phase. He had other reasons for not going in under someone else's name as well, which seem related to why he's left TPP.

I imagine he could still go to the DRPA if Peachy Tips goes tits up. But I suspect that if he does do a podcast with Sugden then he'll be reasonably successful. He was by far the main draw of The Painting Phase, and he is the one with the decades of contacts from GW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I imagine he could still go to the DRPA if Peachy Tips goes tits up. But I suspect that if he does do a podcast with Sugden then he'll be reasonably successful. He was by far the main draw of The Painting Phase, and he is the one with the decades of contacts from GW.

This is my opinion as well, as I said I honestly don't recall ever hearing of TPP before he arrived.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

given how photographs immediately show up all the mistakes that you don't really notice on the table, I understand that urge.

I watched a Rogue Hobbies video of tips on painting neo-Epic scale 8mm miniatures. One of the tips was to take a photo of the mini when it's almost done and zoom in to see if there's anything that needs to be fixed. Basically, make the camera jinx work for you.

Louise being Louise, she's doing edge highlighting on 8mm space marines.

Yeah.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

mllaneza posted:

I watched a Rogue Hobbies video of tips on painting neo-Epic scale 8mm miniatures. One of the tips was to take a photo of the mini when it's almost done and zoom in to see if there's anything that needs to be fixed. Basically, make the camera jinx work for you.

poo poo, that's just a clever idea in general

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

mllaneza posted:

It's a good idea, and sometimes I've gone back and touched things up that the photo has revealed but overall epic stuff is just too small to worry about that kind of thing with. I've accepted that my infantry will always be a bit weird and blobby in closeup.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Yeah, I've found that you'll always spot glaring flaws the few seconds after you've posted the photo to social media.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

grassy gnoll posted:

Did you know Geoff was in the army? And he's a barber?

Haha, I didn't recognize the podcast by name, but now I definitely know. The podcast popped up in my youtube feed with an interesting guest, so I put it on, but this dude just went on and on about being a barber rather than let the actually interesting guest talk about, y'know, painting poo poo

Would not click again

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
It's annoying how predictable it is but I've tested Citadel Dreadful Visage and really want to pivot and use it for my white/bone/grey marine armour, as opposed to the techniques I've used on the army so far. To be fair it's not going to be so far off from my most recent ones.

It's nice over the white/black zenithal base I tried it on, but should I look at a grey midtone for the undercoat? Or just go heavy on the white and leave the contrast paint to shade the mids? If anyone's used Apothecary white or another very translucent contrast that probably applies here.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

mllaneza posted:

Louise being Louise, she's doing edge highlighting on 8mm space marines.

Yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeEuPGYIVM8&t=551s

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

accidental double post.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
With the rise of sub 10mm painting this year, anyone found any good technique tutorials for the scale? In terms of making the models look good on a table mid game, not ones you have to hold up within a foot of your face? Nothing wrong with doing super fancy tiny stuff, just not what I'm after. I've got techniques that work for me, but I feel like I could do better. I just do not want to paint a model that looks a toy for a 28mm dude.

Had a frustrating conversation yesterday with a dude about the square cube law and why you can't paint glow and reflection between two points on a 10mm figure that are 2mm apart and a 28mm figure that are 2mm apart in the same exact way.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 13, 2024

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
some 6mm trucks:

save your fork, there's pie! added some bases and infantry to the technicals

trucks! you can get them here: https://www.wargamevault.com/product/456708/Squawtee-Technicals?term=squawtee

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Thems some of the raddest micro machines I've ever seen, John Moschitta.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Nebalebadingdong posted:

some 6mm trucks:

Don’t use technical paints. Just paint some technicals.

What game is it for, Neb? Do you have in game pics?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Beffer posted:

Don’t use technical paints. Just paint some technicals.

What game is it for, Neb? Do you have in game pics?

they're for either battletech or full spectrum dominance. no game pics because all my gaming buddies are dead (jk, we all just have small kids)

Slyphic posted:

With the rise of sub 10mm painting this year, anyone found any good technique tutorials for the scale? In terms of making the models look good on a table mid game, not ones you have to hold up within a foot of your face? Nothing wrong with doing super fancy tiny stuff, just not what I'm after. I've got techniques that work for me, but I feel like I could do better. I just do not want to paint a model that looks a toy for a 28mm dude.

Had a frustrating conversation yesterday with a dude about the square cube law and why you can't paint glow and reflection between two points on a 10mm figure that are 2mm apart and a 28mm figure that are 2mm apart in the same exact way.

i have seen a couple in the wild, but i think they were all youtubes? definitely a tutorial blind spot!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Just wanted to pop in and say I saw this guy at the art museum this weekend and thought of this thread

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
I hear so much hype about Artis Opus brushes, but none of the bundles have seemed like the brushes I would want. Well, now Goonhammer's bundle looks like the right mix of brushes for me. So now I have to actually approach the question: are they actually worth the price? Anyone here have experiences with them? My comparison point is my Winsor and Newton 7.

Marx Headroom posted:

Just wanted to pop in and say I saw this guy at the art museum this weekend and thought of this thread

So that's what Blanche has been up to since he retired.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Marx Headroom posted:

Very nice use of shading and highlights outlining the separation of the neck and the clothes.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Marx Headroom posted:

Impossible to get that eye placement right. They're just like us!!!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Marx Headroom posted:

the face I make when my brush slips

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Muir posted:

I hear so much hype about Artis Opus brushes, but none of the bundles have seemed like the brushes I would want. Well, now Goonhammer's bundle looks like the right mix of brushes for me. So now I have to actually approach the question: are they actually worth the price? Anyone here have experiences with them? My comparison point is my Winsor and Newton 7.

So that's what Blanche has been up to since he retired.

I have seen it said that AO are made by Rosemary and Co so it might be worth looking into them as well.

Do you have an option to buy just one?

I am a little skeptical of how heavy their marketing push is. Like lmao at goonhammer's disclaimer on their bundle.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Marx Headroom posted:

Heresy is a hell of a drug.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Before sepia wash

After sepia wash

"YOU'RE FIRST"

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Paragon8 posted:

I have seen it said that AO are made by Rosemary and Co so it might be worth looking into them as well.

Do you have an option to buy just one?

I am a little skeptical of how heavy their marketing push is. Like lmao at goonhammer's disclaimer on their bundle.

I believe they are rebranded Rosemary and Co drybrushes so you can probably just get One to try if shipping doesn't own you. I got the Year of the Tiger set and I can confirm that the brushes are very good for drybrushing especially if you watch their videos for their drybrushing technique. I don't use the whole set though but I assume if you wanna drybrush blend a tank the biggest ones would be useful.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

If they are just rebranded Rosemary and Co, that's one hell of a mark-up. Why would I get any of the Artis Opus brushes rather than just buying the Rosemary equivalents?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Muir posted:

If they are just rebranded Rosemary and Co, that's one hell of a mark-up. Why would I get any of the Artis Opus brushes rather than just buying the Rosemary equivalents?

You don't know any better?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What's a good white for airbrushing with now? I guess ideally in a dropper bottle. Vallejo Air has been okay but can imagine better, does Pro Acryl play well?

And is there a crackle paint out there? Ideally black? I've been trying Green Stuff Worlds but the darkest they have is brown and it's thinner than GW Mordant Earth so harder to get big cracks from, or generally vary the sizes.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Heresy is a hell of a drug.

Wow!!!! What's your recipe?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Muir posted:

It's about 30% markup which is a bit but not excessive and I just checked and they have additional sizes that Rosemary and Co don't have. But mostly Artis Opus is going hard on collabs and so forth because they figured out a method of drybrushing that gives you airbrush-like results.

Even if Rosemary and Co offer the the original product they weren't being bought for miniature painting. For Rosemary and Co its win/win because the AO guys are basically generating a new market for drybrushes and whether or not they sell direct or via wholesale to AP they still are moving product. AO are not charging you for the tutorials so they gotta upcharge you on the brushes. That's also why they throw in stuff like the drybrush hydrating sponge and brush soap which you can definitely get on your own and sell the texture pad which you can make with cork and sortie sprue.

It's a pay for convenience thing.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

BizarroAzrael posted:

What's a good white for airbrushing with now? I guess ideally in a dropper bottle. Vallejo Air has been okay but can imagine better, does Pro Acryl play well?

Yep, thin it down like any other paint, and it owns.

BizarroAzrael posted:

And is there a crackle paint out there? Ideally black? I've been trying Green Stuff Worlds but the darkest they have is brown and it's thinner than GW Mordant Earth so harder to get big cracks from, or generally vary the sizes.

Go to any art supply store and buy a pot of crackle medium for :10bux: and mix whatever colour you want in. Add more medium for bigger cracks, add less if you want smaller.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

After a victorious season of Blood Bowl, I need to work out a new scheme for my next team and so thought I should try out some NMM and schemes on a test model because painting is my weak point in the hobby spectrum - I like sculpting, converting, playing, and all that other stuff, but sitting down to paint and concentrating on good glazing and stuff has never really worked.

I think the red looks okay? I need to work on smoothing better between layers and practicing more on how light interacts with metallic areas and the overall model’s volumes. Also need to decide on colors for the non-armor bits - the actual next team will be Skaven, so I’m gonna have some nice cloaks for the Gutter Runners which I think might look good in white, which is gonna be a whole other process.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Eej posted:

It's about 30% markup which is a bit but not excessive and I just checked and they have additional sizes that Rosemary and Co don't have. But mostly Artis Opus is going hard on collabs and so forth because they figured out a method of drybrushing that gives you airbrush-like results.

Even if Rosemary and Co offer the the original product they weren't being bought for miniature painting. For Rosemary and Co its win/win because the AO guys are basically generating a new market for drybrushes and whether or not they sell direct or via wholesale to AP they still are moving product. AO are not charging you for the tutorials so they gotta upcharge you on the brushes. That's also why they throw in stuff like the drybrush hydrating sponge and brush soap which you can definitely get on your own and sell the texture pad which you can make with cork and sortie sprue.

I must be comparing to the wrong model of Rosemary then. The Rosemary Series 33 is $9 for a Size 1, while the Artis Opus Series S is $23 for the Size 1. Is there a different Rosemary model I should be comparing to?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I assume it was about the rosemary dry brushes https://www.rosemaryandco.com/model-dry-brush

Because that's what Byron and Artis Opus are mainly known for.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Sorry I saw the GH drybrush pack and didn't realize they had a mixed brush pack as well.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Quite pleased with how this is turning out:

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Eej posted:

What's so special about their drybrushes? LIke are they better than cheap makeup brushes in some way?
I bought one of the GH AO sets, mostly cuz I wanted the cool box and I'm bad with money.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
:negative: Mon dieu, my post got turned into a thread title

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

What's the colour theory explanation behind black and yellow being a relatively common color scheme? Or on a similar note white and red?

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

What's the colour theory explanation behind black and yellow being a relatively common color scheme? Or on a similar note white and red?

Short version is that your neutral colors are mostly free, and making a color scheme out of a primary color and then a shade to either side of it is very easy and always effective.

The slightly more involved version is when you're picking colors for a scheme, take a color wheel of your choice and draw a peace sign inside it. You can do the straight line across, you can do the Y without the third central leg, you can do the double V of the three adjacent legs, and you can do all 4 colors it points to, and it will always look decent at worst.

NinjaDebugger fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Feb 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Lostconfused posted:

simply because yellow super contrasts with black. yellow is the brightest color, so they're as opposite as you can be on value and saturation (white and black only contrast on value).

its also natures way of saying you're a badass