Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I watched only like the first five minutes of this and I genuinely enjoyed it but this really nails home how simple the TDS formula was and how loving bad Comedy Central has been that they couldn't find someone who makes squinty faces at news clips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Trump vs Stewart. The only thing that stops a TV guy with a camera is another TV guy with a camera?

Sounds kind of dire over there, y'all doing okay?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Vegetable posted:

I watched only like the first five minutes of this and I genuinely enjoyed it but this really nails home how simple the TDS formula was and how loving bad Comedy Central has been that they couldn't find someone who makes squinty faces at news clips

It's not just the faces though. Jon has a way of conveying equal parts comedic bit and "politics guy who genuinely cares a lot about this and is fed up". Trevor was well spoken but didn't have that fire, and all the other guest hosts just seem like they're doing the comedy bit part only.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I really enjoyed this, hopefully it's not just Stewart as host but also him being back as a writer or whatever else and it's good for the rest of the week. Jordan Klepper is also pretty funny so I'm cautiously optimistic

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

She got her own show after everyone split, and she used it to complain about Bernie Bros. Also she lobbied against integrating her kid’s school

Remember when she had Glenn Beck on and they ate ice cream sundaes together

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

I love it. I hope he’s not miserable coming out of semi retirement and doing this every week.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

I love it. I hope he’s not miserable coming out of semi retirement and doing this every week.

I hate it and I hope he is miserable :twisted:

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Some real low hanging fruit here, telling people things literally everyone already knows.

I guess you gotta go safe for your opening show.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

sure okay posted:

Some real low hanging fruit here, telling people things literally everyone already knows.

back in the Good Old Days he was going after low hanging fruit with no effort too. it's just that, even as the fruit hung all the way down to the ground, no one else was touching it, making him the most Serious news media person on TV much to his chagrin. for better and worse things have changed and thats also why theres really zero need to have him back doing this routine again

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

sure okay posted:

This is who he is. In other words:

eSports Chaebol posted:

back in the Good Old Days he was going after low hanging fruit with no effort too. it's just that, even as the fruit hung all the way down to the ground, no one else was touching it, making him the most Serious news media person on TV much to his chagrin. for better and worse things have changed and thats also why theres really zero need to have him back doing this routine again

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

eSports Chaebol posted:

just because you never had good days doesn't mean other people can't

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

20 Blunts posted:

i loved the daily show back in the day. ive changed and times have changed and a lot of the reason ive changed is because times have changed and its not just me

bringing back the Jon Stewart Daily Show is like bringing back posting like bigpeeler or whatever. we grew up it doesnt work anymore

e: le epic me, stepping in the same river twice: this is loving awesome!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

20 Blunts posted:

what

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

20 Blunts posted:

GreatMrPopo
Apr 17, 2003
i love kami-sama

I. M. Gei posted:

To be fair, the Daily Show under Jon Stewart had a pretty loving huge cultural impact on America and I'd even go so far as to say that Trump might've lost in 2016 had Stewart stuck around through the election. Hell if he was around in 2020 he could've significantly helped reshape the national discourse on COVID, or at least curbed a big chunk of the hoax/antivax poo poo for a few months longer (although a timeline where Trump wasn't president would beg the question of would we still have had to deal with COVID at all).

EDIT: To clarify, I'm NOT blaming Jon Stewart for Trump or COVID or anything like that. I'm just saying things might've happened a little bit differently had Stewart stayed on the show, since he had a pretty big presence. Maybe Trump still would've won anyway, who knows. :shrug:

I dunno, bro, EVERYONE was making fun of Trump n poo poo-changed diddly squat- I doubt one more person zinging zingers could have done much, and I love Jon

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

GreatMrPopo posted:

I dunno, bro, EVERYONE was making fun of Trump n poo poo-changed diddly squat- I doubt one more person zinging zingers could have done much, and I love Jon

Yeah, it's true that TDS had a huge cultural impact, but that's more an indictment of the rest of the media landscape at the time than anything else.

It's weird that a comedy news show was capable of having that kind of standing.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

daily show last night - just fine
daily show back in the day - just fine
you guys - loving losers

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

20 Blunts posted:

daily show last night - just fine
daily show back in the day - just fine
you guys - loving losers

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

eSports Chaebol posted:

Who's going after it these days? What's changed?

Asking seriously because I don't consume a lot of political comedy media. Link me to someone who's better.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Asking seriously because I don't consume a lot of political comedy media. Link me to someone who's better.

every late night host besides jimmy fallon? also theres plenty of content on youtube/instagram/tiktok and then also theres 73490573905734534 podcasts. you can argue that jon stewart was groundbreaking in a lot of ways (or maybe it was just inevitable that the media landscape would change) but that also means you cant go back. hey lets write music like Chuck Berry did and hope its not too edgy for the radio!

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Jon Oliver does it better and his emmies are well deserved.

His topics are varied, nuanced, and very well researched.

Unfortunately his show feels like homework. Or a college lecture with an above average professor, but still a lecture.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1757045427969442094

This is not an uncommon reaction to last night's episode.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Say what you will about his relevance in 2024, but if you walk away from that episode thinking he's doing a "both sides are equally bad, actually", then you must have been watching something else entirely. The segment posted on youtube ended on "We'll have to actively keep fighting fascism until the sun devours the earth", for crying out loud.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I hate the thing because I want to fit in. I like the thing because I want to fit in. PLEASE ACCEPT ME!!!!!! No you can't have an honest opinion gently caress you.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

What, coronavirus? The thing we study and experiment with at the coronavirus factory? Yeah that wasn’t us…it was those god drat poor people across the street.

This is like blaming a plague of rats on the lab studying monkeys and gerbils, because they're both mammals.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

jons lookin good, im glad hes taking care of himself

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

I hate the thing because I want to fit in. I like the thing because I want to fit in. PLEASE ACCEPT ME!!!!!! No you can't have an honest opinion gently caress you.

It's important to have no personal experience with the thing for best results

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

jon if ur reading this (he might b a goon?) whats ur workout and diet plan

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

jon stewart is a scrawny nerd who absolutely does not work out

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

eSports Chaebol posted:

every late night host besides jimmy fallon? also theres plenty of content on youtube/instagram/tiktok and then also theres 73490573905734534 podcasts.

Whaaaat I dunno man this is pretty unfunny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14qQ5B7BjpQ&t=504s

And I listen to Chapo Trap House occasionally but they're not very funny or insightful since Matt left, and for some reason they keep putting out Very Special Episodes about Gaza.

Nucleic Acids posted:

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1757045427969442094

This is not an uncommon reaction to last night's episode.

That article calls Samantha Bee's show "excellent" and says Trevor Noah "ran a great show"

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yeah, Colbert's been terrible since he took over The Late Show (though he's a really good interviewer). Seth Meyers is pretty great, but outside of A Closer Look, he's not really doing the same thing The Daily Show is, and even that misses a lot. Oliver's the best in the business, no doubt, but I don't think anyone can say, "Every late night host except Fallon" is doing it better than Stewart with a straight face.

That article calls Samantha Bee's show "excellent" and says Trevor Noah "ran a great show"

Well that invalidates the whole drat thing.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Trump getting elected again would be excellent for Jon Stewart.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Why did people think he was a goon so much back in the day. And you have to suppose, do those arguments still hold today

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

When are they going to do another Rally To Restore Sanity?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

When are they going to do another Rally To Restore Sanity?

We’re waaaay beyond that.

We’re in Lobotomy to Reduce Aggression territory now.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Well that invalidates the whole drat thing.

Well the "both sides" criticism in the article is basically calling him out for making fun of our doddering president without carefully pointing out how bad Trump is. The Colbert clip does exactly what the Rolling Stone article is asking for (3 mins on Biden, 5 mins on Trump, taking a clear stance that you must vote for Biden) and it's terrible.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Trump getting elected again would be excellent for Jon Stewart.

yeah, think of the ratings, talk about comedy gold🤑

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

That time he had Tomi Lahren on and she said something like “I’m a millennial, I don’t like labels” and he laughed in her face was pretty good.

This was pretty early on in Noah’s tenure, and I specifically remember seeing some article speculating that maybe Nazi wannabe Barbie could become Noah’s intellectual rival/punching bag like Tucker was for Stewart.

I remember thinking two things about this comparison with that airheaded aryan reject from Glenn Beck’s old network. One, that I would be so unbelievably insulted if I was Noah. Two, that’s not a very promising assessment of his hosting skills.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Jon fukn owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Comedy Central should bring back Penn Jillette to narrate bumpers again, "Here's some slop, enjoy, I guess"