Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Darth Walrus posted:

Crunchyroll also has Metallic Rouge, if you want small lesbian robots to balance out your large gay robots.

I haven't started that one but I was interested in it, is it good so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

I haven't started that one but I was interested in it, is it good so far?

Yup. If you're nostalgic for 00s Bones anime-originals, it'll scratch your itch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The best part is when everyone gets interrupted when they try to say Bra—BRAEBURN

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

Bravern is the most mood whiplash anime I've ever watched in my life and I can't believe a show would try to juggle two completely different moods and switch from one to another so sharply without the slightest bit of interest in how it hits the audience.

I need this entire show pumped straight into my veins.

The fact that the show tone switches like that and it somehow works is truly astonishing.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

What makes the tone shift work is that its very much acknowledged by the show when you see the reactions to everyone when Bravern goes all in. Just great body language and facials that show exactly what everyone is thanking

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ep 1 left me all HELL YEAH SUPER ROBOTS
Ep 2 had me all gently caress the Military! Also HELL YEAH GAY SUPER ROBOTS

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Bravern is the most chunni sentient robot in fiction I have ever seen and I am all for it

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
he can't be chuuni if he actually is the super powered giant robot though, right?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Just because you really are the half-human son of the devil king doesn't mean you're not cringe.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's powered by cringe. He tried to fight without cringe and got his rear end kicked by Superbia

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i think chuuni status requires not actually being half demon lord/half angel or giant super homo (non-derogatory) robot instead of actually being that thing, but that's just me

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

muike posted:

i think chuuni status requires not actually being half demon lord/half angel or giant super homo (non-derogatory) robot instead of actually being that thing, but that's just me

It's harder, but you can still be chuuni while being a demon lord or whatever. It's all about attitude.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah in nonmecha anime there's a character in The Eminence in Shadow who's chuuni as hell despite having actual cursed blood. It's all about attitude.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah in nonmecha anime there's a character in The Eminence in Shadow who's chuuni as hell despite having actual cursed blood. It's all about attitude.

For another example, in Fire Emblem Awakening, Owain can be the time traveling son of a dark god from an alternate dimension and still be treated as a chuuni nerd by all his friends. Again, it's about style more than substance.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
all fair arguments i will take into account as the demon accountant

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

muike posted:

he can't be chuuni if he actually is the super powered giant robot though, right?

Being a chuuni is all about grandiose aspirations outside and/or beyond who or what you really are.

So what if you're a super powered giant robot? What if you're a super powered giant robot who wants to be more than a super powered giant robot? Like a super powered giant robot that got isekaied and reborn as an elf princess whose destiny is to bring peace to a troubled world, and you live your life as if you were, and all the other super powered giant robots around you have second-hand embarrassment and behind your back say your engines are fueled by cringe?

In this case though, you're just a super powered giant robot trying to play a hero when you're just a super powered giant robot please stop embarrassing yourself.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 22, 2024

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Just got out from seeing Gurren Lagann movie 2, was obviously really good seeing it in a proper movie theater and the dub was actually pretty decent, funny thing is I noticed one very specific change from the original release of the film, they swapped out the Gaiking Gunman at the beginning for a more generic design, guess someone at Toei finally noticed that one and told them to change it(since unlike the homage designs in Lordgenome's flashback it was basically just an SD version of Gaiking without the top head)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i missed a bunch of stuff that was cut (i.e. everything except the most barebones outline of rossiu's deal) and having every side character get a moment with their own extra robot was weird when i wasn't sure half of those characters had even been introduced in the movie. however, i otherwise really liked the added stuff (lord genome hacking sequence is a true work of art)

rossiu sounding exactly like lelouche was also a little distracting

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ninjewtsu posted:

rossiu sounding exactly like lelouche was also a little distracting

I see someone is not down with the JYB.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I really liked everyone getting their own Tengen Toppa Gunmen for the final fight, it gives them all more to do so it doesn’t just feel like the Simon show. I think the wedding scene plays out better as well, since Nia is no longer just a damsel in distress who gets saved, and gets her own time to shine. The last change I really liked, was keeping Jorgen and Ballinbo alive. Love those two goofballs.

ninjewtsu posted:

(lord genome hacking sequence is a true work of art)

This got the biggest pop in my theater, incredible moment.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Blaze Dragon posted:

Bravern is the most mood whiplash anime I've ever watched in my life and I can't believe a show would try to juggle two completely different moods and switch from one to another so sharply without the slightest bit of interest in how it hits the audience.

I need this entire show pumped straight into my veins.

I dunno it feels like "how it hits the audience" is a fairly major part of what the show is doing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Konami_PR_IR/status/1753716229393772715?t=B3PKHNCU6epxbcLfN59IhA&s=19

There was that ZoE anime from 20 years back, right? Was it any good? Or its possible that this Konami Animation will focus on their other properties.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSs4mBRy7nk&t=106

Timestamped to a thread relevant bit.
But the video is a debut showcase for the studio and a 25th anniversary thing for yugioh.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 3, 2024

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
The stinger feels like they're implying they'll make something mecha-adjacent soon, but not Zone of the Enders.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
If that Yugioh short is any indication, they'll make a mecha anime about Divine Arsenal AA-Zeus instead.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sadly it'll be a pretty short anime. Zeus appears, waits until the enemy attempts to act, then detaches two materials and blows up the entire field except itself. The end.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Justin_Brett posted:

The stinger feels like they're implying they'll make something mecha-adjacent soon, but not Zone of the Enders.

The stinger is for a series of cards called sky striker, based heavily on mecha-musume stuff, think strike witches.

They were pushed hard to move product at a time when the game was struggling. So it was extremely powerful and simple to play, got shitloads of support cards, got kid gloves when it came to banlist time so itd stay on top (its been 5 years and they still show up in the meta, in a game with extreme powerceeep), and just recently just finished a tie-in manga for their storyline (and was the first in a series of card storyline tie-ins).

Theyre extremely popular and annoying to play against and I hate them

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 4, 2024

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Oh I know what they are, just going 'yeah that would basically be a mecha series if you want one'

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Konami has been trying to push Raye as a mascot for the past couple years. That said, I would be very disappointed if we got a Yugioh anime out of this and it's for Striker...

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Meanwhile in Bravern they roll out the fancy new bit of super technology and introduce it by having Bravern putting it to use in the objectively correct way: Making Plamo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is the Macross Plus Movie Edition worth checking out? It never got dubbed, did it?

I've watched the OVA and I know that there's an alternate dub produced with David Hayter as Isamu for the final episode that includes the original sound effects library, did they ever do a dub up for the film version using that cast?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's been ages since I saw the movie but it's worth checking out though not a replacement for the OAV. It kinda of speeds through the early OAV's and cuts stuff but makes up for it by having a better final battle and more fleshed out in places final arc than the OAV

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There is a cut that has all the ova and movie scenes together if you look

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Speaking of Macross, finally watching the Frontier movies. I'm used to compilation films from Gundam, but man. This goes heavy on the musical montages. The whole war with the aliens barely feels like it exists before the big musical fight scene, and the characters other than the three leads feel pretty thin.

Nice looking fight scenes, though. CG holds up better than Delta's, which is impressive considering the age.

I know the show's a better version, but I hadn't been able to get the energy for another old series, so I figured I might as well try the capsule edition, see how it feels on its own.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

As far as I remember the movies aren’t really a compilation of stuff from the show, but mostly new animation.

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Depending on the movie it might either be closer to a compilation movie (with stuff changed around/new animation added) or a reimagining of the TV show's plot.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Blaze Dragon posted:

its nice to see a show which isn't horribly insecure in its writing. very rare in this decade in any medium.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I like Bravern's mix of gritty realism and super robot shenanigans, the victories feel earned and Isami and Smith's personal journeys in a world turned upside down are helped by the fifty foot tall gleaming metal Colossus with his own diagetic theme music.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

G kids is putting End of Eva back in theatres March 17 and 20. Makes sure to get out and support your local theatre

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

So drat hype for this