Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
multi-environment camouflage? wtf like solid snake or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

fits my needs posted:

multi-environment camouflage? wtf like solid snake or something?

Western militaries are now too cheap to stock multiple patterns for multiple environments, but still want worldwide expeditionary deployability, and they didn't like paying license fees to Crye to do it.

e: Though I thought Crye was either suing British MOD and US DOD for their "Not-Multicam" patterns, or had been paid some sort of patent fee for them.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

After spending a few trillion dollars on complex fifth gen weapons systems that don't work, the sensible adult in the room general saves some money by only authorizing one color of camouflage. and now you're mad that they want to budget??? Geez, they can't win with you people!!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
DRM'ed rent seeked uniforms lmao

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
they thought theyd have mgs4 suit by now

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
if i was the military id simply invade Crye

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the military will harvest the homeless in an attempt to learn their secret of invisibility

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

the military: :blush: aww geez guys, we'd change out the lug nut on this plane but we aren't supposed to do the repairs outselevs... awww can't fly our plane until the contractor flies someones out at $5,000/hour :biglips:

also the military: nice camo pattern. :grin: we don't have the budget to pay for it, but since our guys stick out like a sore thumb because someone thought "doom 2-style camo" looks "hella sick" we're just gonna take it. Uhhhh... change one of the colors on the splotches, I guess, whatever, it's fine" :clint:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The development of the new Ukrainian digital camo, where it turned out it was being done so the contract went to Poltical people, and apparently the material is flammable, was pretty typical tbh.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

camo is probably as good a bellwether of the rot as any

m81 was used by the us for over 20 years. classic. goated pattern. comes in desert, woodland, arctic, and if you're feeling daring urban. worked fine. total classic. still looks great works great and is use by dozens of countries including russia

like 2005 some dipshit decides its the 21st century and camo should be DIGITAL man and they do the Universal Camo Pattern on the new combat uniform.

That lasts 9 years and they realize oh poo poo this rasterized camo sucks poo poo unless you're operating in a gray upholstery environment.

now they got another all environment camo that's original camo do not steal ocp scorpion definitely not multicam

the real pisser is every time they do this fashion forward swaparoo enlisted soldiers have to buy a whole closet full of expensive poo poo that is way more than their "uniform allowance."

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Frosted Flake posted:

e: Though I thought Crye was either suing British MOD and US DOD for their "Not-Multicam" patterns, or had been paid some sort of patent fee for them.

About six years ago Crye tried to sue a company that manufactures the US Army W2 OCPs and was told to get bent by the courts. https://caselaw.findlaw.com/court/us-2nd-circuit/1859269.html

Non-compete clauses being so overly broad that they're unenforceable or thrown out in court is pretty common, including for individual employees signing one. And the court wasn't moved by Crye's argument that W2 is the same as Multicam. Some of the evidence that Crye is different is that weird dress-up barbie gun guys are loving obsessed with Crye gear in a weird way and pride themselves at spotting all the differences.

So in short:
Army didn't like its pattern, paid Crye for several years for use of Multi-Cam as an interim per-unit licensed pattern used only in certain locations, like Afghanistan.
Army then developed a legally distinct, but similar pattern, but with differences in colors and design. But the army wanted the government to own the pattern patent rather than a private company.
Army pays companies to manufacture clothing using the US government-owned pattern, so pays for materials and labor but not for the IP at this point.
Crye threatens some companies to keep paying royalties to Crye anyway on this government-owned pattern, some of which do out of fear of lawsuit. Others refuse. Crye sues those companies.
Crye loses in court, repeatedly and thoroughly.

https://cases.justia.com/federal/district-courts/new-york/nyedce/1:2015cv00221/365146/74/0.pdf

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Palladium posted:

DRM'ed rent seeked uniforms lmao

One day we'll go full circle and just dress everyone in 1900s olive drab or khaki because of intellectual property infringement issues preventing use of any form of modern camo.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Cadpat is pretty great. In lush green vegetation like the PNW or I assume most of habitable Canada.

It won't work in the desert

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Uniforms should be whatever shades of domestic camo you need for actual defending the homeland (hah! rememeber when that was the focus?), plus an "expeditionary" uniform which is plain khaki including a pith helmet. We'll call it the Livingstone pattern.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DancingShade posted:

plus an "expeditionary" uniform which is plain khaki including a pith helmet. We'll call it the Livingstone pattern.

Somewhere, FF is getting an erection he can't explain

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Also alpenflage ftw

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

Western militaries are now too cheap to stock multiple patterns for multiple environments, but still want worldwide expeditionary deployability, and they didn't like paying license fees to Crye to do it.

Just wear black pyjamas and only operate at night. Bingbong so simple. 500 million dollars please.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Orange Devil posted:

Just wear black pyjamas and only operate at night. Bingbong so simple. 500 million dollars please.

We: Shall spend a billion dollars on research consultants and different manufacturers in a competition to provide the toughest, cheapest, most mission capable all-black fatigues ever at a mere price of $800 for a pair of pants & matching shirt.

They: Shall turn up in adidas tracksuits bought off the shelf.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/alisonbath_/status/1757351040163164520?s=20

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
always sad to see a literal dog of the us empire

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You know things are going well for the sailors when they need multiple hug dogs to stop people just jumping overboard.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/IranObserver0/status/1757389420687155592

setting aside jokes about Brian Williams saying "I am guided by the beauty of our weapons", the IDF really named an airbase after the Palmach? that's like if the USAF flew planes out of Custer's Revenge AFB

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Controversial British Hunter-class warship program survives as government prepares to unveil Australia's 'Future Navy'

The US vassal states will lose WW3

lol

our new frigate is the size of an Arleigh Burke, costs a billion dollars more, and carries 1/3 of the missiles (before they realised maybe they should add more missiles)

bonus magical thinking from the plan to add more missiles:

does anybody have that video of the guy asking the Australian army man why Australia needs a big navy to protect trade with China from China?

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Halser posted:

does it let you see 10 seconds into the future?

Not unless you put on the full body fishnet uniform.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

DESIGNED FOR THE LAW ENFORCEMENT WORLD, MULTICAM BLACK IS A MODIFIED VERSION OF THE EVER POPULAR MULTICAM CAMOUFLAGE PATTERN AND THE NEWEST ADDITION TO CRYE PRECISION RANGE.

Crye Precision informs us that MultiCam Black meets the particular demands of law enforcement officers, providing them with efficient urban concealment during combat operations and professional appearances afterwards. The pattern is composed of large black and dark green blotches, and smaller brown splotches spread throughout the dark grey background. With such a palette of colours, MultiCam Black compliments the existing equipment utilised by special operations units and civilian law enforcement agencies across the world. Right now also Airsoft and paintball enthusiasts may enjoy the qualities of the MultiCam Black camouflage featured in a wide range of tactical clothing, which includes, plate carriers, chest rigs and backpacks.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

Homeless Friend posted:

this mf thinks fireworks are made in africa lol

5 minutes of googling

https://www.foxnews.com/world/fire-causes-massive-explosion-at-nigeria-fireworks-factory.amp

There’s also a massive factory in Durban

OH MY BAD
Feb 5, 2024

by Pragmatica
police officers shouldn't have "combat operations" :(

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

In a way, Multicam Black has somewhat demilitarized what are essentially police officers and for the first time ever given their tactical teams their very own camouflage, but for 'psychological' reasons more than anything else. Because let's face it guys dressed in black are terrifyingly scary and above all, in our world, look very cool.

Pretend I posted Steve Jobs in a black turtleneck picture here.

Why the gently caress are roided out beefcakes such emotional little bitches?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Orange Devil posted:

"Research has found adverse psychological effects of steroids including anger, aggressiveness, depression, and mania..."

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Sounds great, let's give each of these crybabies enough firepower to level a daycare.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

the concept of urban camo is almost in its face so counterintuitive that they have to make up buzzwords to make it sound tough to justify its existence when selling it to cops

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Orange Devil posted:

I had a friend who only dated bodybuilders. She stopped because yeah, they're like that.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjp_PrbpIg0
:freeland:

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Swedish M90 is the most stylish camo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The need the heckin puppers, cookies, and Taco Tuesdays in the 5th Fleet so the sailors don't think about how their entire mission right now is genocidal.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Chodaw of the USS Eisenhower needs to be charged for cringe and war crimes
https://twitter.com/ChowdahHill/status/1757337618755248544?t=ivpaZkFIK-sVqAgkkyyTNA&s=19
https://twitter.com/ChowdahHill/status/1757297927490285978?t=QE836p4lBrSXLAx_qs3BIA&s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Atrocious Joe posted:

The need the heckin puppers, cookies, and Taco Tuesdays in the 5th Fleet so the sailors don't think about how their entire mission right now is genocidal.

seriously there's a bunch of scholarship about how the SS and the Einsatzgruppen were all demented and suicidal from what they were doing so it makes sense that the US is having to provide "emotional support" for people who can't sleep at night from facing their own demons

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

Cadpat is pretty great. In lush green vegetation like the PNW or I assume most of habitable Canada.

It won't work in the desert

How's it work in Tim Horton's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

sullat posted:

How's it work in Tim Horton's?