Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
They should just make Star Wars travel through a wormhole and end up in 2024 Los Angeles for at least one movie or tv season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I kind of liked that hawkeye show because the bad guys were guys with guns who wanted to shoot hawkeye with their guns. it was such a nice change of pace from yet another planetary threat. shame they had ruin It by shoehorning in echo streaming now on disney plus and hulu!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

They should just make Star Wars travel through a wormhole and end up in 2024 Los Angeles for at least one movie or tv season.

well there was this one fanfic that i read...

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Disney makes a movie like ET, except the plot is that pair of droids crash on Earth in the early 70s and are found by George Lucas and he has to live with them and learn from them and keep them safe.

The final scene of the film is him having filmed Star Wars based from the information they told him and watching the rough cut of the movie with the robots in a dark theater, where they are making fun of the movie for being inaccurate to the real story of the Star Wars.

In the back of the theater, a janitor named Joel is watching this go on and gets an idea of his own.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

poisonpill posted:

I still rep my Rener App daily

Nasty! Not cool.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

No Mods No Masters posted:

"What if someone had to protect a baby" is a star wars idea worth several billion. Unfortunately it's the only new idea anyone was able to come up with outside of andor

They also had "what if we go to a different galaxy far far away that looks exactly the same except there's zombies"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rRRc_vbivY

Or

"What if Flea chased a six year old girl through the bush in California while bumping into tree branches."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-0AzH-gD-g

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 13, 2024

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

George H.W. oval office posted:

The play after end game was to do X-men but they didn’t have them so what are ya gonna do

Deadpool 3 will bring X-Men into the MCU, so maybe they will.

What was even the last X-Men film? I know there was alleast 2 that bombed so hard they might as well not have existed. I can see audiences being in the mood again.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I think the one where it's in the 80s

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
the last xmen was the phoenix movie that they had to reshoot the ending for because it was a space battle and then captain marvel had a space battle so they changed it to a train battle

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
it's really funny that by the time of the 20th century fox acquisition marvel had pretty much spent an entire decade doing their best to bury the x-men as a brand because 20th century fox had the movie rights. whoops

if you think of like 1992-2008, xmen were like ninja turtles big. there were x-men cartoons, video games, toys, action figures, trading cards, t-shirts, shoes, backpacks, ice cream bars, halloween costumes, underpants
comparable to spider-man in terms of just being way bigger than their own comics (but even so, if you walked into a comic store in 1998, like half the shelves would be x-men comics)

then alllll that went away
we're trying to build a cinematic universe here and this goddamn dinosaur of a franchise from the year 2000 with their leather jumpsuit bullshit is still trying to make movies, playing keepaway with our most popular characters. well gently caress 'em! a bunch of important x-men characters are now no longer mutants. no more cartoons, either. the one that's currently going, cancelled after one season. gently caress em. no more x-men in the marvel vs capcom games, no more trading cards, no more ice cream, no more underpants

and it worked! the x-men are now less popular than ever :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzuRruVFKVw

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Have the xmen gone woke

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Hickman wrote a brilliant X-Men trade in 2019, it spawned a dozen new mutant lines, X-Men were back!

and then Covid (and too much haste/greed) turned everything to poo poo again

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

CaptainBeefart posted:

Watching Norbit for the first time. Not very good so far, but I did get a good laugh out of this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxKmRXipd2E

There is an It Is A Show for that where i poke myself in the eye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4-Qp5kvxA4

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

wtf! the reviews are in for madame webb and they are bad! wtf! sony? wtf

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

dreezy posted:

is it a cold take to think the avengers infinity saga was majorly carried by rdj’s sheer unbridled charisma? maybe not carried per se, but his tony stark was the glue that held a lot of in retrospect mediocre crossover movies together at least until infinity war when the thanos plot actually elevated things. where do you go after endgame with the load blown and no tony stark? obviously you dont go the route they did end up going and you could argue there was never any way for them to do it again, but for fucks sake at least try to fill the charisma vacuum

It's a factor but it's not the only one. There's also:

1) There are only so many superhero origin stories, and the origin story really kind of makes the character. It's really hard to get us excited about a new one at this point. But it's also hard to get us excited about the old ones.
2) There's a reason long-running series are usually TV shows, not movies. You can easily mix small fun character stories with big world-ending ones and it keeps it from being the same exact thing over and over.
3) Movie sequels are notorious for being worse than the original because the first one usually tells all the important story there is to tell, and the sequels just repeat it. Now take that and basically extrapolate it to an entire franchise. On balance Marvel has a pretty decent batting average with their sequels compared to others, but there's only so much you can do.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Cubone posted:

it's really funny that by the time of the 20th century fox acquisition marvel had pretty much spent an entire decade doing their best to bury the x-men as a brand because 20th century fox had the movie rights. whoops

if you think of like 1992-2008, xmen were like ninja turtles big. there were x-men cartoons, video games, toys, action figures, trading cards, t-shirts, shoes, backpacks, ice cream bars, halloween costumes, underpants
comparable to spider-man in terms of just being way bigger than their own comics (but even so, if you walked into a comic store in 1998, like half the shelves would be x-men comics)

we're trying to build a cinematic universe here and this goddamn dinosaur of a franchise from the year 2000 with their leather jumpsuit bullshit is still trying to make movies, playing keepaway with our most popular characters. well gently caress 'em! a bunch of important x-men characters are now no longer mutants. no more cartoons, either. the one that's currently going, cancelled after one season. gently caress em. no more x-men in the marvel vs capcom games, no more trading cards, no more ice cream, no more underpants

it helped that the x men put out some really dogshit movies

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Hackers film 1995 posted:

#sadmanwebb :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Say it ain't so!!!!!!

Illmade
Jan 17, 2024

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
PSYCORPS

Nothing is worth dying for, except Palestinians for Israel

The reviews are, unfortunately, grounded in reality.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

X JAKK posted:

There is an It Is A Show for that where i poke myself in the eye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4-Qp5kvxA4

Thank you!

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Very dynamic reviews

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

lol these are the positive reviews on rt:

"Madame Web does its best to not be another Catwoman." 6/10

"Audiences are now left with clunky, earnest, and weirdly charming oddities like S.J. Clarkson's "Madame Web." " 6/10

"A clunky, goofy, mess. However, there’s an ultimate joy in this ham-fisted adventure. Unintentionally hilarious dialog, corny villain, cringeworthy moments, lazy Easter eggs, a superb ensemble of cheesy performances lead to an ironically enjoyable romp." 3/5

"For better or for worse, Madame Web further illustrates that Sony's Spider-Man Universe has potential when not trying to be a modern cinematic universe at all, and instead being a springboard for the most niche genre stories imaginable." 2.5/5

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

https://www.vulture.com/article/he-was-in-the-amazon-with-my-mom-line-not-in-madame-web.html

quote:

But if you’re thinking of buying a ticket to experience the moment Johnson’s titular Madame Web delivers the famous line from the trailer — “He was in the Amazon with my mom when she was researching spiders right before she died” — don’t bother. It isn’t in the movie!
This is an outrage.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Not since they cut "It's Morbin' Time!" from Morbius has there been such a crime against cinema.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Stink Billyums posted:

lol these are the positive reviews on rt:

"Madame Web... its best." 6/10

"Audiences... now... like S.J. Clarkson's "Madame Web." " 6/10

"A... ultimate joy in this... superb ensemble of... performances." 3/5

"For better..., Madame Web further illustrates that Sony's Spider-Man Universe has potential... to be a modern cinematic universe." 2.5/5

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Don't let Gripweed see this

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

You joke, but I'm reminded of the most audacious example of this type of thing:

See that Guardian review between their heads? Did you assume it was a four-star review based on the layout? They actually tucked a two-star review in there to pad out the poster.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Crescent Wrench posted:

See that Guardian review between their heads? Did you assume it was a four-star review based on the layout? They actually tucked a two-star review in there to pad out the poster.
lol

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Cubone posted:

I'm glad xman is dead

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Crescent Wrench posted:

Lol

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Crescent Wrench posted:

Sony used to have a reviewer they literally made up of I remember right.

Edit: David Manning

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 13, 2024

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I’m noticing a worrying trend of people breaking the thread’s cardinal rule of never interacting with XJAKK.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Murdstone posted:

Lol Sony got ordered to refund anyone who bought tickets to movies “reviewed” by David Manning

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Murdstone posted:

"On August 3, 2005, Sony made an out-of-court settlement and agreed to refund $5 each to dissatisfied customers who saw Hollow Man, The Animal, The Patriot, A Knight's Tale, or Vertical Limit in American theaters as a result of Manning's reviews."

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Rotten Tomatoes has been Collider levels of bought and paid for for years, no clue why anybody would touch it

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

The problem with rotten tomatoes has always been that “ehhhhh it’s fine I guess” is a plus, whereas “this is a wild, crazy, unique mess” is a miss. So it aggregates a thousand mildly positive reviews as a great score, but really good, interesting movies always come in with mixed reviews. It’s like the entire rating system was designed to elevate marvel movies

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Rotten Tomatoes scores are ill-suited to this era where pretty much anything that makes it to theaters is at least boringly competent.

Crescent Wrench posted:

IIRC the Guardian eventually either reported on this or was asked about it and they were just kinda like "drat, well played"

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The problem with Rotten Tomatoes is that most people don't understand the scoring system. They think it's Metacritic.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

poisonpill posted:

The problem with rotten tomatoes has always been that “ehhhhh it’s fine I guess” is a plus, whereas “this is a wild, crazy, unique mess” is a miss. So it aggregates a thousand mildly positive reviews as a great score, but really good, interesting movies always come in with mixed reviews. It’s like the entire rating system was designed to elevate marvel movies

yeah it's loving dumb as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Heh heh, “titular”