Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010
re: bus chat from last page and actual opposite of thread title, my city made bus fare free because they did a study and they were spending more enforcing bus fare then they were taking in on bus fare itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

My city discontinued its recycling services because it wasn’t profitable anymore. Guess I misunderstood the point of all that.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

wash bucket posted:

My city discontinued its recycling services because it wasn’t profitable anymore. Guess I misunderstood the point of all that.

It was only ever profitable because China used to buy everyone's recycling (and then just dump it in a Chinese landfill). Then China went to not paying, but they would still take it, to now where they won't take it at all.

Actual literal "recycling" of plastics and waste has never really been a thing in North America. We just dumped the problem on some other country. We really only do paper and metal recycling here, and glass in decreasing numbers.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It was only ever profitable because China used to buy everyone's recycling (and then just dump it in a Chinese landfill). Then China went to not paying, but they would still take it, to now where they won't take it at all.

Actual literal "recycling" of plastics and waste has never really been a thing in North America. We just dumped the problem on some other country. We really only do paper and metal recycling here, and glass in decreasing numbers.

this. the best thing you can do with plastic is not buy it. an increasingly difficult prospect but very few plastics are truly recyclable these days. ideally the govt would intervene to force manufacturers to limit the composition to clear plastics which have only a very high recovery rate (abs and pla are quite good), but i'm being told that is communism. so instead manufacturers use plastics whuich are coloured, thermoset/resin, and/or have plasticizers and hardeners that make them a pain in the rear end to recover. straight to the dump!

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

Regular rockstar tastes like off brand red bull, which also sucks.

Hey now the fruit punch flavor really did taste great, I swear. Just go back to 2018-2019 and try some.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

the oil/plastics companies marketed recycling just to get us to buy more plastics. remember how captain planet told us to recycle? well he was a tool of the capitalist plunderers.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Sorting recyclables in Sweden is a Big loving Deal, and apartments typically have a room to do so, bins indicating what material goes where.

Unfortunately the one for my building is a loving wreck. By the way it looks, half of the building can sort recyclables with little issue, but the other half couldn’t give a poo poo and trash is in every bin, or just dumped immediately upon entry. Last year they flat out got rid of the recycling specific bins for about six months because it got so bad. By the way it looked yesterday when we dropped off cardboard, I think it may happen again.

The signs have images of what can go in the bins. They are pretty easy to understand signs and have pictures of actual consumer products to illustrate what goes in what bin and still, trash in every bin. This can’t be ignorance.

I feel like if I put up an arga lappen I’ve finally hit middle age, but come the gently caress on can we do the bare minimum as an apartment building?

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

Kagrenak posted:

Biden confirmed reader of this thread.

Pains me to say I was on Linked In this morning and one of their trending news was an ft article about the “enshittification” of everything and my immediate thought was “I wonder from which of the SA threads on such topics they got the idea for that article from”

SHARTING BEAR
Sep 27, 2004

cool, the fake reviews on amazon are being written by AI now

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Cabal Ties posted:

Pains me to say I was on Linked In this morning and one of their trending news was an ft article about the “enshittification” of everything and my immediate thought was “I wonder from which of the SA threads on such topics they got the idea for that article from”

I think OP got the inspiration for the thread from an older Doctorow post and then eventually Doctorow wrote that FT follow on piece. Either way the thread has definitely touched on his writings multiple times and that's definitely a common linkage.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

SHARTING BEAR posted:

I know when i talk about RAM I always refer to it by the make, model, capacity, and speed. Every. Single. Time.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I was getting 3 frames per second in Microsoft Word, but then I installed the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black and now I'm getting 144 FPS and headshotting has never been easier.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

teen witch posted:

Sorting recyclables in Sweden is a Big loving Deal, and apartments typically have a room to do so, bins indicating what material goes where.

Unfortunately the one for my building is a loving wreck. By the way it looks, half of the building can sort recyclables with little issue, but the other half couldn’t give a poo poo and trash is in every bin, or just dumped immediately upon entry. Last year they flat out got rid of the recycling specific bins for about six months because it got so bad. By the way it looked yesterday when we dropped off cardboard, I think it may happen again.

The signs have images of what can go in the bins. They are pretty easy to understand signs and have pictures of actual consumer products to illustrate what goes in what bin and still, trash in every bin. This can’t be ignorance.

I feel like if I put up an arga lappen I’ve finally hit middle age, but come the gently caress on can we do the bare minimum as an apartment building?

Don't worry, it all probably still gets sorted in the end, just not by you but by the nice Romanian ladies at the waste processing center. The city probably charges a hefty fee for that service though.

A place I used to live in had its garbage sorting shed turn into a garbage dump over time. Rats and hedgehogs were having parties and fights in there all night and the stench became unbearable. Main problem was that the city workers collecting the compost bins refused to empty them when they saw that they were full of old broken toasters and used diapers. And the unsorted garbage collection workers didn't take them either because they were either full of electronics or car engine parts or because they often looked like they actually had compostables in them when the old carburators and shoes in there got covered by a layer of compostable waste. So the bins just never got emptied and people kept throwing trash on the ground and in other bins, which led to those also not getting emptied and it spiraled out of control from there.

For months the property management kept writing and posting these long convoluted letters in bureaucratic German begging people to sort their garbage. I don't think any of the worst offenders even understood more than a handful of words of German (and nobody ever thought of just posting pictures). In the end the management probably got scared of the potential media reaction when some child eventually gets attacked by a rat or if there is a cholera outbreak and just hired a private company that would go there daily, fight the rats and hedgehogs and clean everything out. It was expensive as gently caress. Our garbage fees more than tripled due to this lol None of these systems are designed to handle a situation where some people just don't give a gently caress

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Here trash/recycling pickup isn't handled by the city, you have to pick out a service yourself. So of course all three services are colluding to keep their monthly rate hikes in line with each other and now lots of people just have a trash bag mountain on their lawn.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Dip Viscous posted:

Here trash/recycling pickup isn't handled by the city, you have to pick out a service yourself. So of course all three services are colluding to keep their monthly rate hikes in line with each other and now lots of people just have a trash bag mountain on their lawn.

lol capitalism is going to kill everyone with easily preventable plagues and literally half of the population will vote team plague because the alternative is sometimes helping other people

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

teen witch posted:

Apartment building garbage / recycling rooms are proof positive that human beings will never make it. I can't tell you how many times the people on my floor will just leave a whole rear end box in the recycling bin without breaking it down so no one else can use it. There are multiple signs posted asking people to break down their boxes too.

They also leave discarded furniture and large electronics in there, even though signs are posted telling them they need to take that poo poo to the basement themselves.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

teen witch posted:

cameras + fines for the culprits, with warning signs?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

SHARTING BEAR posted:

At least it'll be easier to notice the fake reviews now

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Employ a full time worker to take care of it and count the cost as maintenance overhead :shrug:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
They're offering AI assistance on doing my taxes now. Somehow I think I'll be turning that option down.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
To clarify a point made above and add to it:

1: Recycling has never 'worked' in a capitalist sense, in that even if the material is provided and delivered for free the process is unprofitable by a small percentage..

2: That doesn't mean it's impossible! You just can't do it for profit. Any government could support it if they wanted to pay.

3: China does still pay for its internal recycling for a few reasons. Biggest is it provides extremely low-end jobs that are its equivalent of welfare, secondary is that seem to want the industry to remain available to them. But since it became clear that it couldn't become profitable even mid-term they stopped taking other people's.

4: As noted, all the careful sorting and conscientiousness leads to a landfill in whatever country is poor enough to accept it.

It doesn't have to be this way - apparently it's not a huge % distance from breaking even - but that's the way it is.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hard to even imagine a world before plastic.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Rockstar Relax was the best Rockstar ever. You're all pigs!!

#willow

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

Mulaney Power Move posted:

the oil/plastics companies marketed recycling just to get us to buy more plastics. remember how captain planet told us to recycle? well he was a tool of the capitalist plunderers.

I could swear I saw some marketing video from some manufacturer back in the day talking about how they switched from paper to plastic packaging because it was somehow more environmentally friendly to use 5 tons of plastic instead of 10 tons of paper, look ma we're savin the trees.

Edit: I'm still pissed of at cadbury for switching from paper and foil wrapped choclate bars to plastic bagged ones half the size.

coldpudding fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Feb 13, 2024

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
there are only 2 good energy drinks, the red bull autumn and mt dew amp. amp is increasingly hard to find tho

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
theres only 1 good energy drink and you can brew it yourself at home :colbert:

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

thathonkey posted:

cum?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

thathonkey posted:

Meth?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Someone at work was singing the praises of Redbull Pear & Cinnamon so I tried it out and it tastes like Energy Wine. And I said that's gross. And that's exactly what they loved about it.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

thathonkey posted:

You need a whole machine for that poo poo.

edit. unless you're actually talking about cum?

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

kiwid posted:

You need a whole machine for that poo poo.

edit. unless you're actually talking about cum?

i need a machine for that too

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You don't need a machine to brew tobacco juice :rolleyes:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

You don't need a machine to brew tobacco juice :rolleyes:
Good news!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Large Testicles posted:

i need a machine for that too

This throws your username entirely into question!

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Time_pants posted:

This throws your username entirely into question!

no, they're large cause my machine is out for repairs right now. Enrique will be back next week after his hand heals up

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I miss the plum Red Bull so bad, it was too good for this world. I only wish I'd consumed even more cans of it than I did.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already
Authy is ditching their 2FA desktop apps and will only be available on mobile devices, which sucks because it was a reasonable cross platform solution.

While they announced this would happen in August a little bit ago, they just decided to say "gently caress you" to everyone and accelerated dropping it to next month.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

thathonkey posted:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oJHoM_KMvo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Atopian posted:

2: That doesn't mean it's impossible! You just can't do it for profit. Any government could support it if they wanted to pay.

Well why even bother then?!