Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

riderchop posted:

this is also how i hold my cats for meds or nail clipping

If only cats remained as blithely oblivious to what's about to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

Oh... Oh, Charles.

Luann

All the most hilarious people I know are always talking about how funny they are.

Gil Thorp

Home Free

I guess there's the movies and all, but I'm still not convinced that a little kid Milo's age would have a clue about Mission Impossible.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Julet Esqu posted:

I guess there's the movies and all, but I'm still not convinced that a little kid Milo's age would have a clue about Mission Impossible.

It's a great TV series and the internet exists.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

GOOD thing my GUARD is ASLEEP!!

*rattles loud chain*

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Jesus Eddie...

I believe every school in the latino diaspora has an Eddie.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

poor guy must be exhausted to be sleeping in the middle of the day

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Bruceski posted:

It's a great TV series and the internet exists.
And don't underestimate how long cartoons/general pop culture can keep stuff in circulation via references, even if kids don't really get where it came from. It's always weird to me when people are surprised that kids can be aware of stuff from before their time.

1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Crab Dad posted:

Jesus Eddie...
You posted that too soon. :v:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Crab Dad posted:

Jesus Eddie...

I believe every school in the latino diaspora has an Eddie.

I strongly suspect every elementary school has That Kid, probably at least one per grade, possibly multiple That Kids divided up into sickliness vs. troublemaking

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

I strongly suspect every elementary school has That Kid, probably at least one per grade, possibly multiple That Kids divided up into sickliness vs. troublemaking

To bastardize an old adage, if you don't remember who That Kid was at your elementary school, it was you.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/12/04

Brenda Starr 8/17/52

Smokey Stover 10/4/59

Everyday Movies 3/29/37

"Did I have a good time on the cruise? Gee, I played with fire every day."

Dig that The Scream girl in the background.

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 2/14/43

Somebody's read "The Adventure of the Empty House."

Closer Than We Think! 10/4/59

Selachian fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 13, 2024

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 12, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 20: Extreme Freaks

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

Well, that comic has answered every question you ever had about Magus Tom Pendennis. There’s nothing left to ask, nowhere left to go.

Are YOU a potentate of piety? Or just piety-curious? Meet potentates of piety in your area NOW!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Alright now this is a bit different. The store's name is "Second Hand Store" in the original Finnish as well, and that's what we generally call our ... well, second hand stores. They're quite popular over here, especially in recent years when The Youths discovered that you can get retro fashions from there.

But of course "second hand", as in "the hand of the watch that indicates seconds" is not "second hand" in Finnish. it's "sekuntiviisari", literally "second pointer". So there's that little bit of thinking required in the Finnish original when Aimo tells the confused lady that his watch is missing the second pointer.

That's of course not very easily translatable into English, but here's an attempt.

Also I love that Jarla-rear end bootsy Mickey Mouse on the watch.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Why is there a human kid in hellworld, anyway?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

I'm weezing over here holy moly.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Black Feather posted:

There was a trans-dimensional portal iirc.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Black Feather posted:

Bill Holbrook is actually a long-term study in the field of unmedicated psychosis.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Black Feather posted:

He was born there. Because His mother was also a human who came through a trans-dimensional portal.
Then turned into a rabbit.

He started out as a vaguely defined furry thing, and just became human spontaneously because Holbrook is a hack.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Hippocrass posted:

He was born there. Because His mother was also a human who came through a trans-dimensional portal.
Then turned into a rabbit.

He started out as a vaguely defined furry thing, and just became human spontaneously because Holbrook is a hack.

And the other major character who is actually a human who came through a trans-dimensional portal is Lindesfarne.

It is currently unknown why her daughter Turvy has not spontaneously turned into a human.

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
I am the one who asked, and yet I regret the knowledge I have gained from these answers.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

maltesh posted:

It is currently unknown why her daughter Turvy has not spontaneously turned into a human.

Oh it's known:

Hippocrass posted:

because Holbrook is a hack.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Kennel posted:

Into Ilves :siren: Grande Finale

That's it!

I enjoyed reading and translating it, but wouldn't really call it a good comic. The storytelling was often lacking, especially the endings of most stories fell flat. There's still some charm in it and old Finnish adventure comics are a rare treat.

I'll take a small break and then it's time for Meuronen's last comic serial Esa Ahto.

As always, thanks for taking the time and effort to translate and post it! :)

Selachian posted:

"In the future, mass transportation will exist in America!" Haha, I love reading these wacky sci fi ideas.

riderchop posted:

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 12, 2002)

In 2002 he could have said he wanted to work for Pixar.

maltesh posted:

And the other major character who is actually a human who came through a trans-dimensional portal is Lindesfarne.

Lindesfarne is also a member of our world's British royal family, by the way. :shepface:

Vintage Valiant (Sep. 24, 1961)

Oh come on Hal :mad:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What the hell Hal? All that endless build up and barely even a fart to end it?

Black Feather posted:

I am the one who asked, and yet I regret the knowledge I have gained from these answers.
That's holbrook. :)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Selachian posted:

The first time a deer or bird stands on the track is going to be a very interesting day for all involved.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Our Ernie spent all $200 of his food budget on a 3-night band trip on a giant toy, then survived the rest of the trip on pocketed continental breakfast and bummed french fries.

Later, he got my ex-girlfriend pregnant and got busted for selling his adderall. Then he joined the army.

A+J

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Julet Esqu posted:

Home Free

He name drops Ethan Hunt, so he's absolutely talking the movies. I buy it, I knew about big action movies when I was a kid, even though I wasn't allowed to watch them.

:siren: UH-OH! :siren:

FoxTrot Classix

Rose is Rose

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(1/17/1994)

(1/18/1994)

Ziggy

(9/2/1971)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

THORN, January 25-30, 1984

Sure, nuke the forest, Dragon

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

hahahahaha that first panel after the last strip's last panel! Way to go, Rudy!

Also the rest of the strip, Jesus Eddie!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i laughed way too loving hard at Mexikid. Goddamn Eddie, you are chef's kiss.

As for Val, we have the mist cover the couple before she kills his dumb rear end and then is taken away by Tillicum to become a Viking warrior!

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

This strip just keeps delivering.

Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (January 25, 1936)

Peanuts (February 15, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner, in which I'm still not feeling it for dropping Abner into these upper-class intrigues, but probably because I know there's a whole collection of wigged-out hillfolk that we haven't even met yet. (waiting patiently in October 31-November 2, 1935)

Thimble Theater (September 17, 1940)

Out Our Way (December 27-29, 1943)

Still on standby for today's Olive & Popeye.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Feb 13, 2024

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

I'm confused why in the previous strip the guy said "who wants to give it a try" when the sculpture appears to be done, and there's no other ice blocks to work on. What the gently caress did they expect to happen?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Since when does Jeremy care about his food beyond there being a lot of it?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Fingerpori
Alright now this is a bit different. The store's name is "Second Hand Store" in the original Finnish as well, and that's what we generally call our ... well, second hand stores. They're quite popular over here, especially in recent years when The Youths discovered that you can get retro fashions from there.

But of course "second hand", as in "the hand of the watch that indicates seconds" is not "second hand" in Finnish. it's "sekuntiviisari", literally "second pointer". So there's that little bit of thinking required in the Finnish original when Aimo tells the confused lady that his watch is missing the second pointer.

That's of course not very easily translatable into English, but here's an attempt.

Also I love that Jarla-rear end bootsy Mickey Mouse on the watch.

I think it translate well! The second one is kinda subtle (especially for a fingerpori) but it makes sense and because you don't call them second hands in finnish the pun actually works better in english

maybe he made this comic specifically to trip up english translators :v:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Zereth posted:

Since when does Jeremy care about his food beyond there being a lot of it?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Wandering Culinarian

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

I live very close to major rail line, so I think I'm glad that powering trains with goddamn jet engines never caught on. The big freight trains are noisy enough as they are.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

I'd say something about Dolly being on thin ice crediting a pagan deity with anything in a nice Christian household like this, but the Family Circus Universe has some decidedly extrabiblical notions about ghosts and angels, so I'll let it pass.

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

drat it Jim, I'm a pickpocket, not a doctor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom