Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I don't know where else to put this but my sister is a glorious idiot and this is her dog that she decided to take to get some photos done for valentine's day because?! :v:

https://twitter.com/ohgodwhatdoiput/status/1757117406994932091?t=CUtiH2BsPHAPR1pfxj-LIw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

If I haven't already made myself obvious, my dream engine choices for the TJ are either some form of small diesel (Cummins 2.8, Duramax 2.8, Duramax 3.0), the Atlas 4200, or the GM 2.7T.

Annoyingly, the only engine choice that's a known easy way through AZ emissions on a TJ, is the LS. The 2.7T will probably join it by virtue of having a modern GM ECM, and technically the Atlas 4200 is in the same category as the LS as long as I get an 08 or 09 engine.

There's a guy on YouTube who's been making inroads into using the Atlas 4200 as a high performance engine - an "American 2JZ" or "American Barra" is the goal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBmOPYUxwwY

I see a some other YouTubers talking about them, now that I searched "Atlas 42000" to find nivlac57.

SpeedFreek posted:

Does that mean I need to start using hair dye to hide the grey?

Nah. Own that poo poo - you earned it.

edit:
Ooooooo, this looks like fun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfmaIB7YqA0

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 12, 2024

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

That’s what my 4 cylinder Mazda 3 gets. I highly doubt that’s what they’re getting.

I don't personally, that's about what my old mazda 6 gets (6-7l/100km) and after so me googling, about what I've seen cited by drivers of BMW X3s (I think this is the car my coworker drives) when I've looked on local car forums, older models report higher values as is expected. The diesels have been reported as getting better mileages than that even on long trips. I haven't talked to my coworker because I am furloughed, but I think she might have the diesel.

We're talking mostly "highway" mileage btw for our kind of driving, not city. We're all living in a rural area here, driving 80-100kph country roads mostly here and little urban driving. I've noticed americans tend to cite higher mileages despite similar vehicles and I wonder if that's because you tend to drive faster on your roads than anyone except the autobahn drivers in europe do. It's not the first time I've noticed this.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 12, 2024

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Darchangel posted:

There's a guy on YouTube who's been making inroads into using the Atlas 4200 as a high performance engine - an "American 2JZ" or "American Barra" is the goal.

Yeah the look pretty neat, I wanna say they came on peoples radar because I think a lot of existing LS performance internal stuff crosses over? Pistons/rods etc? I could be wrong on that though.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I don't know where else to put this but my sister is a glorious idiot and this is her dog that she decided to take to get some photos done for valentine's day because?! :v:

https://twitter.com/ohgodwhatdoiput/status/1757117406994932091?t=CUtiH2BsPHAPR1pfxj-LIw&s=19

You put that anywhere and everywhere you can. Get the whole set please and share it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SpeedFreek posted:

Does that mean I need to start using hair dye to hide the grey?

lol I am fully bald

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

trilobite terror posted:

lol I am fully bald

And approaching middle age? Sounds like you need a Corvette and a toupée. I'd advise against a convertable.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

SpeedFreek posted:

And approaching middle age? Sounds like you need a Corvette and a toupée. I'd advise against a convertable.

I already have a convertible

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Yeah the look pretty neat, I wanna say they came on peoples radar because I think a lot of existing LS performance internal stuff crosses over? Pistons/rods etc? I could be wrong on that though.

I think it''s more "cheap as gently caress turbo I6" that even Barra from a junkyard taxi can't match.

The Atlas can't match the Barra or 2JZ for the big power but I would be fairly confident that gaining good hp out of one will be shitloads cheaper... and if the block costs next to nothing you can boost and not care if it holes the block going too far.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

I still want to make a turbodiesel-electric plugin hybrid. Just a diesel and a generatoe and an EV drivetrain.

Dreams.

I'm working on it. With the added difficulty of making homebrew biodiesel because might as well go all the way.

finding 2M70s in the yards now... TDI bell adapters exist for the GM smallblock pattern...
Also have an early prius transaxle to play with plus a tdi...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I think it''s more "cheap as gently caress turbo I6" that even Barra from a junkyard taxi can't match.

The Atlas can't match the Barra or 2JZ for the big power but I would be fairly confident that gaining good hp out of one will be shitloads cheaper... and if the block costs next to nothing you can boost and not care if it holes the block going too far.

Of course if you lift the head you're in for an ordeal. Even pre-emptively replacing the head bolts can be rough.

cursedshitbox posted:

I'm working on it. With the added difficulty of making homebrew biodiesel because might as well go all the way.

finding 2M70s in the yards now... TDI bell adapters exist for the GM smallblock pattern...
Also have an early prius transaxle to play with plus a tdi...

I thought the 2ML70 was WHY GMT hybrids were in the yards now.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

I thought the 2ML70 was WHY GMT hybrids were in the yards now.

Ah it took after the 4l60 I see

Though the lexus longitudinal box is probably easier to work with.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

Ah it took after the 4l60 I see

Though the lexus longitudinal box is probably easier to work with.

The problem is that once the partnership with Daimler was dissolved, everybody just stopped making them, and stopped making parts, and stopped sharing the forbidden knowledge needed to rebuild them.

Pomp and Circumcized was using a lexus box to electrify an RX7 some time ago, although he has since ripped it all out for an F20c

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911577

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah which is why Diesel-Electric makes more sense - diesel fuel can be stored for long periods and it would vastly extend the range, and using it just to drive a generator lets you keep emissions in check since you can just run it at peak efficiency to top off the battery pack or directly drive the motors.

Like Edison Motors did with their diesel-electric semi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XKb4psc0vY

These guys are talking about releasing an electric axle, I think that’ll be a great option to turn classic trucks into electric cars with a diesel generator.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Siochain posted:

It's a 22 or a 23 (I'll check this week when I get in to site.)
Driving it on the highway the best I hit was about 22, doing 80 no wind. 6l/100km is drat good - I've almost hit that on the Powerboost doing a solid 90 between T-Bay and Winnipeg. My average is about 25-30 depending on how heavy I am on the pedal.

Today on flat rear end prairie.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I notice the speeds you're talking, doing 80mph (129kph) and 90mph (144kph). Those are not common speeds here. In fact there's nowhere in Finland you can drive 140 on a public road and not instalose your license and get hefty fines if caught.

Max legally you can drive anywhere is 120kph or just under 75mph and let me tell you cops here care a lot more about people adhering to speed limits than they do in america, there are no unspoken rules about flow of traffic or the like. Never mind the constant expansion of traffic cameras. My own experience is traffic closely follows the signed speeds with a few exceptions.

So I dunno if it's humanly possible (and without getting shot at by other people on the road) for you to drive say 60 for a few dozen miles, but I think you'd be getting different mileages then. I certainly notice mileage gets affected a lot by speeds over 100kph.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

I notice the speeds you're talking, doing 80mph (129kph) and 90mph (144kph). Those are not common speeds here. In fact there's nowhere in Finland you can drive 140 on a public road and not instalose your license and get hefty fines if caught.

Max legally you can drive anywhere is 120kph or just under 75mph and let me tell you cops here care a lot more about people adhering to speed limits than they do in america, there are no unspoken rules about flow of traffic or the like. Never mind the constant expansion of traffic cameras. My own experience is traffic closely follows the signed speeds with a few exceptions.

So I dunno if it's humanly possible (and without getting shot at by other people on the road) for you to drive say 60 for a few dozen miles, but I think you'd be getting different mileages then. I certainly notice mileage gets affected a lot by speeds over 100kph.

yeah mpg definitely drops by a lot if you do much/most of your driving at technically-illegal-but-colloquially-acceptable American highway speeds, which many goons do everyday myself included

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

It'd be nice if my commute were more highway and less city.

I'll take 9.3L/100km of almost entirely city with traffic lights every quarter mile.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I do think I am lucky that my commute is just 25km of straight road with more animals than cars most of the time, not a single light, just 60/80/100 areas, in winter time all 100kph areas are 80 kph. So I might cruise at 90 most of the way in winter.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

When BC joined Canada in 1871, the federal government set out on the Dominion Land Survey to split various parts of the new province (mostly along the proposed Canadian Pacific Railway line) and the swaths of land between it and the Rest Of Canada (tm) into six by six mile chunks called townships. Each of these was divided into square mile "sections". Inevitably roads were built along these section boundaries, and in time, in divisions of a half mile, then a quarter, than an eighth, then "eh just slap a letter after the street number" divisions.

This resulted in, in the 21st century, some absolutely hosed up roads with lights sometimes at predictable spots and sometimes in weird ones, and sometimes roads that you would think would be arterial, being on the mile grid, just loving disappearing into some farm that's been in a single family since Captain Vancouver navigated the Strait of Juan de Fuca.

My commute is invariably about 35-40 minutes, but I can take any number of routes that all end up being the same duration of travel, because every arterial-esque road has a number divisible by 8, and if you can remember that, you can usually get where you need to go.

Until you find yourself in some fucker's 200 year old family farm.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

trilobite terror posted:

yeah mpg definitely drops by a lot if you do much/most of your driving at technically-illegal-but-colloquially-acceptable American highway speeds, which many goons do everyday myself included

Who was the goon that thought driving faster didn't lower mpg nor produce more pollution? I would like to laugh at them again.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I actually quantified it on my last road trip. It's a ~1% loss in fuel efficiency for each mile over the speed limit in the civic, so the comfortable Chicago 15 over actually drops the MPG from about 40 to 32. I knew it had a negative effect, but I didn't think it would be so big

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah my Scion gets 22 city and only 23 hwy cuz I'm doing 75mph most of the time lol, plus it's shaped like a box so that doesn't help much at speed either

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah my Scion gets 22 city and only 23 hwy cuz I'm doing 75mph most of the time lol, plus it's shaped like a box so that doesn't help much at speed either

But its so cute. I love boxy monstrosities.

*googles how to mount a TDI into a Scion*

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
My foresters got 24mpg at 65 and 22 at 75-85.

Since I was driving 190 miles a day most days I decided I was willing to take the 2mpg hit.

At 3.50 a gallon it worked out to paying an extra 2.50 a day to get 33 minutes of my life back. Worth it.

But changing jobs to one half the distance from home was definitely the (eventual) wiser choice.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That seems crazy. I get 35mpg in my Fiesta ST at the same speeds. How is the Scion so inefficient?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

• Shaped like a box
  • 2.4L inline four cylinder
  • four speed auto
I'm honestly curious the effect the engine size has on it. I had a 1.5L xB years ago and it wasn't notably great or terrible on gas mileage.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
My xA with the 1.5L gets an average of about 25 MPG when i drive it since it is not meant to go fast or be driven aggressively, ever. The missus ran much closer to 30 MPG

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

The Door Frame posted:

I actually quantified it on my last road trip. It's a ~1% loss in fuel efficiency for each mile over the speed limit

The obvious solution here is to go at least 100 over and start gaining that efficiency back.

Wait…Is that what all the Altima drivers are doing?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

My foresters got 24mpg at 65 and 22 at 75-85.

Since I was driving 190 miles a day most days I decided I was willing to take the 2mpg hit.

At 3.50 a gallon it worked out to paying an extra 2.50 a day to get 33 minutes of my life back. Worth it.

But changing jobs to one half the distance from home was definitely the (eventual) wiser choice.

The farm truck gets about the same mpg at 65 as it does at 85. If It's gonna be hot, miserable, and loud, might as well put down some distance.

Not having a commute has been a better quality of life improvement.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Jag gets 29mpg doing 85-95 on texas highways between Austin and Houston. Ya'll obviously just need supercharged engines in wagons.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can get 21-22mpg at 100kph without a canopy.

120kph with a canopy i'm down to ~14mpg.

The torque converter locks up at ~65kph and it will idle around town. If i would stay out of the boost it would probably get pretty crazy city mileage.

The lincoln is at like 10mpg around town but i also really enjoy driving it. I'll take the $10 in fuel to run errands.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 13, 2024

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Nah, literally nothing LS crosses over (except for the ECU in one case), and very little non-Atlas in general. A tiny amount of valvetrain components are shared with the Ecotec. GM being GM also decided in their infinite wisdom that the 4200 needed its own crank flange that is shared with absolutely no other engines, so even though the 4cyl and 5cyl Atlas engines were available with manuals, their flywheel doesn't fit the 6cyl. The aftermarket has solved this as well as rear-sump oil pans, at least.

My mom had a 4200 in her '02 Trailblazer EXT and it was an awesome engine hampered by only having four gears with which to motivate a 5000lb SUV. Also definitely a victim of "it's not a pushrod V8, we can't possibly develop it more".

The only reason I haven't already started stockpiling parts for a 4200 swap is because AZ emissions laws dictate that the VIN reported by the computer must match the VIN on the chassis. 02-07 4200s, by far the most common (and thus cheapest), have a unique 7x crank trigger and come with their own ECU that's not related to any other GM ECU, and there's no documented / proven way to make it report a non-GM VIN. 08-09 4200s, which are far less common because that was the tail end of GMT360 production, at least have a 58x crank trigger and use the same E67 ECU that GenIV V8s used. VIN-swapping is solved on that.

Really, if I ever go that route, I'm going to try and buy a whole donor vehicle and drive it around a bit first while prepping the TJ... and that's a lot cheaper if I can use an 02-07 chassis.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

His Divine Shadow posted:

If you're referring to Soichan's post, I'm pretty sure that was KMH not MPH. As Thunder Bay (Ontario) and Winnipeg were mentioned.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Was going about some random stuff on the SS and me and my buddy were kinda suspect about the condition of the oil; cut it open to some glitter;

Going to sell my whipple to get some cash for a local builder to do a 416 stroker on the LS3, with cam and a converter for the cam.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Nah, literally nothing LS crosses over (except for the ECU in one case), and very little non-Atlas in general. A tiny amount of valvetrain components are shared with the Ecotec. GM being GM also decided in their infinite wisdom that the 4200 needed its own crank flange that is shared with absolutely no other engines, so even though the 4cyl and 5cyl Atlas engines were available with manuals, their flywheel doesn't fit the 6cyl. The aftermarket has solved this as well as rear-sump oil pans, at least.

My mom had a 4200 in her '02 Trailblazer EXT and it was an awesome engine hampered by only having four gears with which to motivate a 5000lb SUV. Also definitely a victim of "it's not a pushrod V8, we can't possibly develop it more".

The only reason I haven't already started stockpiling parts for a 4200 swap is because AZ emissions laws dictate that the VIN reported by the computer must match the VIN on the chassis. 02-07 4200s, by far the most common (and thus cheapest), have a unique 7x crank trigger and come with their own ECU that's not related to any other GM ECU, and there's no documented / proven way to make it report a non-GM VIN. 08-09 4200s, which are far less common because that was the tail end of GMT360 production, at least have a 58x crank trigger and use the same E67 ECU that GenIV V8s used. VIN-swapping is solved on that.

Really, if I ever go that route, I'm going to try and buy a whole donor vehicle and drive it around a bit first while prepping the TJ... and that's a lot cheaper if I can use an 02-07 chassis.

This sounds like time to gently caress around with ghidra and a 02-07 binary till you can find why it gets mad about the wrong VIN and simply change those routines to look at a new, separate VIN stored in a different previously unused location, but leave the OBD2 "gimme your VIN" PID reporting the one you want. It's a silly rule they have and therefore as a proper spectrum member I see no reason why the rule should not be broken.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
What is the point of the Ford Godzilla engine? It's a 7.3L gas engine, in superduty pickups it makes 430hp, 475ft-lbs so it's not a really high power output engine, for comparison, a Ford 6.2L V8 is 385hp and 430ft-lbs.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

It’s more power than the 6.2 and less stressed in a high-load application.

Ford says the 7.3 can tow 5,000 pounds more than similarly-equipped 6.2 trucks using the SAE J2807 tow test ratings.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

This sounds like time to gently caress around with ghidra and a 02-07 binary till you can find why it gets mad about the wrong VIN and simply change those routines to look at a new, separate VIN stored in a different previously unused location, but leave the OBD2 "gimme your VIN" PID reporting the one you want. It's a silly rule they have and therefore as a proper spectrum member I see no reason why the rule should not be broken.

I might get there eventually. I'm sure it can be done, I just don't have that skill set or tool set. HPTuners is the only tuning solution I'm aware of for the P10 and P12 computers and they have no interest in figuring this out because they use the loving VIN as part of their licensing scheme.

Advent Horizon posted:

It’s more power than the 6.2 and less stressed in a high-load application.

Ford says the 7.3 can tow 5,000 pounds more than similarly-equipped 6.2 trucks using the SAE J2807 tow test ratings.

Given that the Godzilla is a pushrod motor, it's probably the same size or maybe even smaller than the 6.2 in terms of external dimensions, and almost certainly cheaper to produce.

And while it's not relevant for production purposes, it loves boost the way the 80s loved cocaine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Mr-Spain posted:

Was going about some random stuff on the SS and me and my buddy were kinda suspect about the condition of the oil; cut it open to some glitter;

Going to sell my whipple to get some cash for a local builder to do a 416 stroker on the LS3, with cam and a converter for the cam.
Oof. Yeah that's not.... ideal.